Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

I already saw this. Why did you make me think about it again? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Warmachine posted:

Alex hooking a PC up to a water tap was some big brain bullshit. So much so Der8auer did it too.

I haven't seen the clip in question, but I'm guessing it's hooking up a watercooling system to a tap and just letting the other end drain away.
A friend and I joked about doing this 20~ years ago. Recirculating hot water is for losers.
We of course never did it, because it would be obscene
Turns out in this day and age you can make good money making videos about things you only joked about

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 28, 2020

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

priznat posted:

If you let your gaming pc blast away 24/7 mining coins would it even recoup the cost of the power?

If you have a recent card, yes, even if you live somewhere with expensive electricity, at current profitability. Bear in mind if you have purely resistive electric heating, in winter it's effectively cost-free (unless you fry something)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Look away, you'll become dumber just by reading this

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

The Grumbles posted:

Does anyone actually do anything with the little glitzy stickers that come with their CPUs? I feel like to slap it on my case would somewhat defeat the point of having built my own PC from scratch

Noctua is the only one gracing my case. Team red? Team green? Team blue? No, team brown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

The Grumbles posted:

Building PC's - at least gaming pcs - has always been a rich kid hobby though? When I was a kid/teenager, it was only the people from rich families who had high end PCs (and then thru my 20's when I wasn't earning all that much it was only friends who were into games but also worked in finance or whatever who had the nice PCs). The rest of us made do on our janky Compaq family computers, or whatever old laptops were handed down to us.

Nope, it was a cheap hobby, overclocking Durons and Celerons and cutting up lovely old cases to gain some airflow. Rich kids bought Alienware..

Of course, you could spend a lot, but it was far from an exclusive thing. Most pirated Windows with few exceptions, saving that in the budget too

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 19, 2021