Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHI4uBo6OeE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

The fortnite drama is particularly silly because fortnite is a game with such a broad userbase that you don't need to be at 144 to do well. Most of your opponents are teenagers and younger using hokey android phones. The reason I enjoy playing fortnite on PC is I can just stand still and click on people's heads and reliably make it into the top 5 most games, on a 3070 with raytracing switched on. Looking forward to trying this new update.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Rubellavator posted:

At least in groverhaus the thermostat only gets hosed up when the sun is shining.

I want to see him watercool his thermostat.

It's been so long that I barely remember groverhous beyond the horrible stairs jpegs. Can you elaborate on this please

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

Speaking of computer jesus, what are your thoughts on the stadia dev machine video? I was visibly going WTF once he started disassembling it, like he never saw a professional OEM case. Be it for the quick replace psu or gorilla ripping the front when it just required four screws to take the front I/O out. All of this is explained in the freely available service manual and GN went passive aggressive in the comments when lot of people pointed out steve yelling at clouds without any reason to do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgK38sg1ws4

looking forward to jayz2cent's stadia dev machine video where he argues that google just needed to "stand their ground"

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Can someone explain Louis Rossman to me

I think he's supposed to be a tech youtuber, as he keeps popping up on my feed, but although there's the occasional video about right to repair type stuff it's otherwise a lot of videos of an incredibly stressed and tired looking dude talking about how much he hates running a business. I think the only meaningful bit of content I saw from him was about the whole Linus warranty controversy, but even that was filtered through a lot of stuff about hating his business/himself. what happened to him

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 23, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/MacAddressYT/status/1639008547794198528 lol

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I like Linus and he can do whatever he wants in the privacy of his own home in regards to hanging dong; but I do agree that maybe showing the home security cam footage of himself freeballing while trying to fight this particular fire, in his YT video explaining what had happened, was maybe just a bit much.

Honestly, this thread

They’re using it as b roll because they thought it’d be funny

which it is

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Why’s this thread always hating on Brownlee. He seems nice! His content is more tech stuff from a lifestyle/everyday people perspective and less from a sysadmin/power user/tech weirdo one, but even then reviews are always pretty even-handed and thoughtful, and honestly can be a refreshing change from your engineer-brained perspectives like GN or whatever. This thread would have you believe he’s some megashill but his reviews never really play out like that.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

I remember you posted this a while back and it’s honestly a little insane.

It should be pretty obvious that by ‘best value’ they don’t mean ‘budget phone award’. It’s the best value high end phone. They review higher-end stuff. That doesn’t make them a shill. Shilling is when you are presenting a product overly favourably to maintain your good PR with a manufacturer and safeguard your preferential access (or presenting a product overly favourably in exchange for straight up compensation).

Being more excited about higher-end tech, or more keen to make content around it, is not being an industry shill. A lot of the time, their content is saying unfavourable things about the new tech, or explicitly saying it’s not worth the upgrade. It’s been a huge thing around the M2 macs, or the new HomePods - them saying ‘if you have the last gen, you really don’t need this’. It seems like a stretch to call them a shill because their content focuses on the new shiny things, while ignoring that their evaluation of the new shiny thing is often mixed, muted, or restrained. They focus on new things because that’s where the audiences are. This is the reason all tech YouTube channels exist - because people want to hear about the new flagship stuff, whether or not they’re in the market to buy it.

A lot of outlets do look at budget tech. The verge did a great piece recently on budget laptops. The takeaway is usually that it’s not great, and you’re better off finding a cheap refurbished laptop that’s a few years old but was once top of the line, then you are buying a new (but poo poo) Chromebook or whatever.

There are lots of other weird takes in your post (ad metrics do not generally work like you are describing. If a YouTube viewer gets served an ad, then the creator gets paid. They do not get paid more if the ad is for something fancy,) but it’s too much to get into really. Honestly, it’s really not as conspiratorial as how you make it out to be.

Edit: but also you’ve chosen the one YouTuber who generally doesn’t have thumbnails of them with their eyes popping out of their sockets and smoke coming out of their ears alongside a glowing cut-out of the new thing, ala LTT - which in my opinion is the point at which YouTubers are explicitly shilling for, uh, capitalism and needless consumption, for the sake of clicks and ad revenue. But mkbhd doesn’t really do that, or shout, or get hype with silly effects and graphics.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 25, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Three Olives posted:

https://twitter.com/MKBHD/status/1651935278049685504

See, it's this kind of stuff that makes people not like MKBHD. "Better value"? Sure, there are reasons why you may want an Android tablet over an iPad but "better value" is ludicrous.

Hang on, I thought we didn’t like him because he worships Apple and only recommends the most expensive things

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

GN Steve just looks and dresses like every other dude who is on the stoner metal end of the nerd spectrum. There’s nothing out of place whatsoever about his dress sense

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

I have never liked or subscribed to a YouTube video. Honestly the algorithm figures out what I watch and then I let it carry me off to its dark corners.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Started watching the big angry GN video. He doesn't impugn the MacAddress guy does he? That dude's the pearl in the grubby LTT oyster

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Fragrag posted:

I did a quick skim of recent LTT videos and I noticed that for every single one of them Linus is the Director/Producer which is just absolutely insane. There's not even any assistant producers on the staff roster. That means there is no oversight from research/testing, writing, filming and editing phases. Ostensibly that could be the writer but it seems they're swamped while also occasionally being pulled into co-host duties. No extra pair of eyes to go "These results from the lab are kinda weird, we need to omit that" .

I wouldn’t take those director and producer credits as gospel.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Fragrag posted:

Yeah I absolutely do not believe Linus actually performs those roles in any meaningful sense. It just begs the question, does anyone else do that?

Yes, of course. You wouldn't be able to make those sorts of videos with either of those roles being actively performed. My point was more there's historically some skeeziness on how and whether people get to be credited on LTT videos. And when you're in a chaotic creative organisation, people end up stepping up in all kinds of ways to fill roles that they shouldn't (and that they'r not on the pay grade for) to keep the ball rolling. One reason at least why people in more mature broadcast media tend to be rigidly unionised

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Does anyone have any sense of how much they grew in the pandemic and whether this has now slowed along with the rest of the tech industry? Part of me wonders whether they had this huge windfall of channel growth as people were in quarantine (and the whole being at home with extra cash/part scarcity combo) which was when they made all these decisions to go big, which is now proving unsustainable as engagement dips back to pre-covid levels forcing them to put out a huge amount of sub-par content to keep things ticking along. Or have they maintained their growth?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Astroid posted:

They seem to run their channel a lot like BuzzFeed
Have they hired any people from there to run things?

If they have 120 employees it would be cool to see more of them more often, or some stuff from around the office. When I watched them a few years ago that was p. enjoyable non-tech content

A lot of people might work in content creation but absolutely do not want to be on camera, for lots of reasons, bust mostly considering how pcmasterrace nerds run the gamut from parasocially creepy right through to actually threatening.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Astroid posted:

Understandable, but it feels like they've been filtering who gets on camera more than needed.
That's better than expecting everyone to be able to show up in a video, so filming in office locations
is probs not possible anymore.

I think that's maybe overestimating just how many people in creative industries also want to be audience-facing, and how specific the skillset is to be in that role. Most people are not good presenting to an audience on camera. It's really, really difficult.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

slidebite posted:

Response to this general comment/defence that probably goes without saying, that's likely true, but their production schedule is totally their own creation. It's not like the Justin Trudeau is giving them a decree they need to publish X videos/week.

I don't mean this as a defence of LTT, but that's not completely true. It's pretty obvious that they do need to keep up their unsustainable production schedule because it's the only way to balance the books in the wake of their massive expansion and/or whatever dubious financial decisions were made back when everyone was sat at home in quarantine watching tech videos.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Lister posted:

Nitpicking is Linus saying that it was wrong of GN to say the block was sold instead of auctioned for charity. That's a non-substantive change. What I'm talking about isn't so minor.

They were public statements made in one context (being asked "What would you change about LMG?") then being taken and put into a new context ("We know these issues at LTT in terms of the rushing... pushing employees and staff to hit deadlines despite concerns with the data or the collection of the data. We know these come from top down as shown in a recent LTT interview that it conducted with its own employees where many of them stated concerns with content quality pertaining to restrictive time constraints.") to support GN's thesis. This is the definition of taking a quote out of context.

Please stop. The job of a journalist isn't to represent 'both sides' of a story, it's to represent the truth. Not every story needs to be presented as some weird partisan thing. Journalists often approach subjects of stories for comment either because it is a story about something that the subject has not yet acknowledged (e.g. Lizzo being approached for comment on otherwise unsubstantiated claims of abuse from her dancers, after the news broke but prior to her making an official statement), in part so that they don't get sued (e.g. strict libel laws in the UK) or to maintain a sense of a right to reply on accusations , not as a way to better represent some weird version of objective reality that involves a story with two sides - in this case its pretty arguable that GN are presenting facts which are all completely in the public domain and which have all been already broadcast or published by LTT themselves.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

I think it's pretty safe to say that the LTT community itself is by and large upset at this point. I just dipped into their forum out of curiosity and the first thing I read in the thread about the controversy was someone comparing this situation to a school shooting or terrorist attack. I can't even tell which side that poster was on, but either way its bad vibes at casa Linus

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Cantide posted:

Not sure I would trust the account of someone who does this:

"I purposefully cut my leg open so badly I would have to go to the ER to get it stapled back together."

Just saying neither side is trustworthy without evidence one way or another

"This person reacted in a hosed up way under incredibly extreme stress, but I'm going to ignore the fact that stress was created by her employer or even existed, and use their reaction to the stress as a gaslighting tactic". Cool!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Only 5 minutes in and strong 'hostages reading from cue card' energy from the new CEO

And then after that even stronger 'megachurch owner promising that God told them to buy the private jet with your tithes' energy from the CFO.

Seriously though this is the tensest, guns-to-our-heads apology video I think I've ever seen. It's the 'this is fine' KC green cartoon made manifest.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Vic posted:

They're stopping video production until further notice

Just for a week according to this apology video?

edit: omg the apology video still does the lttstore.com plug, with a little knowing chuckle and everything

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Aug 16, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Also Linus' bit in that video is one big 'sorry, but...'.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Someone chopper in and airlift the MacAddress guy outta there while they still can. Thanks in advance

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

So much for all responses from the man himself going through proper channels for his own sake

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/SteelRat0/status/1691460351358078977

YouTube tech idiots fandom thread: Lienus Theft Tips: this is informative, and unfortunate

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Lister posted:

Madison's story is the kind of bombshell information that can be discovered by interviewing current or former employees. If GN had reached out to her for her story, even anonymously, it would have been so much more affective than pulling quotes out of context. That's the kind of investigation I wish they'd done. Maybe they'll talk to a lot of people for a follow up video, but I worry that unless it's put in a video by a major channel that it's going to be unseen by the larger youtube audience.

Please, just stop.

It takes a certain kind of journalistic background to be able to do an investigation like that carefully, sensitively and ethically, and is so outside of the purview of GN that it's obvious to everyone in this thread besides you why they haven't done so and why that's absolutely fine in context. GN are great but they're a bunch of hardware people who know a lot about testing computer parts, and the product-orientated workflows of tech companies, and when they talk about ethics it's almost always about the relationship between companies, their marketing, and their customers. Maybe I'm wrong but I've never seen a sign from Steve that he has the investigative journalism background or training to navigate working with a whistleblower on publishing serious allegations of sexual and emotional abuse.
They're not The Guardian, they do not have the governance framework to break a story like Madison's ethically and safely and I'm glad that they didn't tbh.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 16, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Never watched much LTT (reading through this drama I'm glad), but I always thought Anthony seemed like a cool guy. I hope he's moved on to bigger and better things.

Anthony is in the process of transitioning and is now known as Emily. She/they still work for the channel as far as I'm aware?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

buglord posted:

Bring Emily and Mac Address guy over to GN and I’d watch nothing else :allears:

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, this would be great, at least I hope. From the GN videos I have watched that involve some of the testing/background staff, they all seem genuinely pretty decent?

I think it's in everyone's collective interest that Steve from GN is kept as far as possible from anything Apple. Imagine. The closed systems. The sacrificing of raw power in exchange for tasteful design. Laptops with literally no airflow. The poorly labelled charts in their product launches. The anti-market business practices. CPU's that still somehow run more efficiently than anything else on the market despite all the above. It'd be too much for him.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Obviously the PC tech YouTube space has its weird lingering beef with the Verge after that disastrous PC build video from years ago, but their editorial staff is otherwise rock solid, and I think Alex Cranz is an excellent journalist, so I'm glad this reporting is coming from her. It does a good job of explaining the narrative to a broader audience.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

mewse posted:

She tasted of cigarette smoke

Still the funniest sentence to have ever come from LTT

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

SpartanIvy posted:

The pattern I'm seeing is a bunch of young white guys in tech being misogynistic and edgy and covering for each other.

You think a guy who listens to Jordan Peterson and goes on stage to tell holocaust and wife beating jokes wouldn't arrange a sign on set to be a dog whistle?

If you think I'm terminally online for seeing a dog whistle. How can you justify an entire company of people whose job it is to be terminally online not seeing it?

Why would you give any benefit of the doubt to LMG at this point?

Assuming this is about the photo of the 88 and not the pound of flesh thing although this thread is getting very hard to keep track of with all the axes being ground at once -

Nobody in this thread is saying that James dude strikes them as a cool and easygoing guy, or even a good person that any of us would want to work with, or hire, or generally be around, but dogwhistles are, like, 'lets go Brandon' signs, or Pepe memes during the 2016 election, or people with the number 88 literally tattooed on their bodies alongside a load of other aggro poo poo. Which is all to say I think you do need to make a distinction between edgy bro comedy and actual sicko territory. The important thing is that the latter is actually being as a vehicle for extremist ideological organising. It is the secret hobo symbol on the mailbox that tells other hobos they are welcome there, except for racists.

And I mean James' edgy humour obviously feels stale, if only because the internet has shown us since 2016 that even if people are trying to be edgy behind a hipster and/or 4chan veil of irony, culture at large doesn't actually care if you're being ironic and what you're doing still has the same real-world consequences as if you were being completely earnest and non-ironic. So I get why it's anxiety inducing. But I mean that screenshot is most likely 1. a genuine coincidenc or there is the slimmest of chances it's 2. tech boys in a bubble of privilege being edge lords for meme cred, without a thought to its real world consequences (those consequences are zero because you are the only person who has noticed this)

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Mokotow posted:

To be fair, Alex’s “LOUD=FUNNY!!!!” shtick deserves all the negative comments it can get.

This doesn't sound like something that deserves an unyielding glut of negative comments but it does sound like maybe you are the problem here

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Shorn of any context of what's actually going on behind the scenes, the comment about people being on camera without any kind of media training is 100% valid. Knowing you are on camera to an audience - let alone an audience over 1 million, will make your brain do and say incredibly stupid things if you don't have the training or experience. Sometimes those things can be inflammatory, derogatory, or even seem bigoted or prejudiced. None of this necessarily means anything about the actual character of the person floundering on-stage. I think it is the responsibility of editors to make the right judgement calls and edit out content that is clearly someone's brain fitzing out due to stage fright. You won't believe the things people say out of self-conscious anxiety as soon as they know they're presenting to audience. I've edited radio before and had to edit out all kinds of wild poo poo from well-meaning people who are not used to the pressures speaking on-mic.

I mean I'm not giving anyone at LTT a pass here. I have no idea what they're like as people. But it's true that the version of you that presents to camera doesn't really give a good guide on who you are, and people shouldn't read the tea leaves on that. All it really signifies is that an editor made the stupid decision to leave that stuff in and that producers didn't adequately prep people for presenting to camera.

edit: just to labour the point a little, a really important part of media literacy that always gets lost when there's a big controversy like this is that the finished shows are not some candid fly on the wall footage. It's a carefully curated selection of clips boiled down from what might have been hours (or days) of filming. You don't need much footage before you can use it to create literally any narrative you want. This is also how reality TV works. My point being, the tone of a piece says more about editorial than it does about the people presenting to camera, like 90% of the time.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 31, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

jeffreyw posted:

In all seriousness, Linus’ actual position isn’t really consistent. The only consistent thing is that every justification he comes up with is a huge self-report.

I remember him having the audacity to claim he wasn’t offering a warranty because it meant his company would be legally bound to honour it. Which meant his family would be on the hook to honour the warranty of his products if he passes away overnight.

Basically, he’s making up poo poo to justify his desire to sell his products ‘as-is’.

The actual reasoning was an even more insane extension of this. He either explained it on his podcast or over Twitter/forums.

Basically, the argument that he didn't want a warranty because it meant the company would be on the hook for however many years was just the start of it (that's fine and normal and companies price that in to their decisions around warranties).

Which also meant that yes, if, he passed away overnight, his family would be on the hook (I think we're all on the same page that this isn't true and keeping your company in the family is a choice).

But then the best bit, which I genuinely love, was that he couldn't in good conscience offer a warranty, because if you put all that together it would mean his grieving widow would be forced by her commitment to honour lifetime warranties to drag herself into a company named for her recently deceased husband and emblazoned with imagery of his face, an environment in which wherever she turned she would be visually reminded of the grief of losing him. Linus couldn't in good conscience do such a terrible thing to his wife, and so he chose not to include a warranty, presumably freeing Yvonne from the yoke of Linus Tech Tips and giving her the option to go and join a convent or something in the event of his death.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Given recent events that show just how dishonest and unethical Linus and some of the other higher-ups in his company are? Yes, I do think it's rather dumb to assume he's telling the truth about anything at this point in time, at least until there are actual facts to show that he is. It's on LMG to regain people's trust, we're not obligated to assume they're telling the truth about something until proven otherwise.

And again, I will wearily point out for the final time that none of this "picking stuff at random" originated ITT. It started on reddit, go yell at them for making poo poo up (and also the one goon for dragging it in here in the first place, and then getting mad when people didn't immediately 100% agree with them).

Commenting every MacAddress video demanding to see proof that the guy is even a Mac user, because his dress sense alone just isn’t evidence enough in this frenzied climate those charlatans at the top have created

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Maddox actually turned out to be a pretty chill guy

Maybe I'm misremembering so sorry Maddox if I am libelling you but didn't he try and relaunch his brand during peak Twitter and just kind came off as a weird relic of the male-centric 'I love bacon' era of the internet? Like a dude wearing a Female Body Inspector t-shirt to his high school reunion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

I'd actually really love to read/watch something from a product designer explaining how/why it looked kind of cool when it was first revealed (imo) and then like a horrible garbo-mobile in real life. It can't just be about lighting can it? Other cars that look beautiful in marketing materials also look incredible - if not better - in person.