Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Worldshatter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxGqGCtPxn4

Holy poo poo they actually just made the kind of video I wanted, I really hope this becomes a series

Anthony is one of the few, deeply knowledgeable tech people on his staff afaict

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Former Human posted:

Does Linus have sweaty hands or what?

That and/or he's a nervous uncoordinated nerd

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

njsykora posted:

Someone in the GPU thread summed it up when they said everyone knew the card was a massive rip off and a bunch of people in the thread are still going to try and queue up for one.

A 3080Ti at retail is a better value than a 3080 at scalped prices.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Worldshatter posted:

Just noticed a lot of people going for it and getting rejected recently

Adds some functionality to your account, though the reason you're seeing it a lot more is that Twitter recently opened back up accepting verification requests

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Space Racist posted:

Considering most car infotainment systems have the performance of a 6-year-old budget Android tablet, it’s not a bad advertising approach.

Why does my infotainment need to have a Navi 23 GPU over a 6 year old budget Android tablet instead of a 2 year old budget Android tablet?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Comatoast posted:

Dudes get called every variation of racist and homophobic names that the sewers of the internet can come up with. It’s the internet. The gender is irrelevant. The internet is just toxic and was a mistake.

I've been called plenty of terrible poo poo on the internet but I've never had someone I've never met online stalk me, show up at my place of business, or repeatedly DM me dick pics

But yes gender is irrelevant online :allears:

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

K8.0 posted:

It did have demos, and that's how you would generate videos back in the day from Quake based games. You record a demo, play it back with audio and record only that, then disable audio, use another command to tell the game to dump every demo playback frame to disk, play back the demo and wait for it to output them all. Then you'd use a program to convert the images into a video file, then merge that video with audio.

It also made it really easy to get highlight/plays of the week in competitive play. Everyone would just send the editor their demo files which would be much smaller than raw video and give the editor the frame ticks you'd like to submit for approval.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

cage-free egghead posted:

Looks like they're Rainbow sandals, not slippers. :q:

I only know because I wear the same things lol

I do wonder what the long play is going to be for Gigabyte after this because this should make people scrutinize everything they put out, not just power supplies.

Yeah, making me side eye my motherboard but I haven't had a single issue with a Gigabyte motherboard (my last 3). You'd have to pay me to touch an MSI or Asus board after the experiences I've had with them

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Having a CE degree can also mean you don't know poo poo about poo poo!

...don't ask me how I know

buffbus posted:

This but technical degrees in general. They are a foundation but there is a ton to learn afterwards.

The way I had CE degrees explained back when I was in school (2006) was that a Bachelor's is worthless because by the time you're finished what you learned is mostly out of date :shrug:

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

I'm sure it was just bad luck that when they laid off 400 employees due to COVID, every single one was non-Hasidic

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

That motherboard box was opened by a human being who has never interacted with a motherboard box before Jesus Christ

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's a pretty dumb idea, but it is technically possible.

That sums up most of what Musk spouts

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Linus Sebastianly: Excuse me sir, this is tantamount to piracy

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

Sennheiser HD650s are the best headphones, headphones have been solved, Sennheiser solved them, just get some HD650s or HD6XXs and keep them forever.

:emptyquote:

I've had my 6xx's as my go to gaming and music headphones for almost a decade now. And a pair of HD598s for the decade before that

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Klyith posted:

This is a huge :can: with many different opinions, but IMO there's nothing wrong with it if there's a clear advance discussion and trust boundaries. (IE, I think it's pretty lovely for a parent to read all the text convos with their friends. But knowing who they're texting with is pretty germane.)

My opinion is that the internet writ large and social media specifically is absolute brain poison.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Charles Leclerc posted:

Growing up with unfettered access to the Internet like it was the ark of the covenant has convinced me that my children shouldn't ever have to experience even a fraction of the poo poo any early 00s teenager whose parents weren't good with computers have until they pay their own broadband bills.

There's so much you'd have to block. Instagram is tailor made to ruin a young person's expectations of life and beauty standards that there's no way they won't end up hosed up if they're growing up with it.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

wait, i thought this was glenn beck

No no, Glenn beck murdered the 12 year old after raping her.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV9QES-FUAM

Uhhh...not just Nvidia. Apparently EVGA is completely out of the video card game, ceasing all video card production.

quote:

EVGA will no longer be manufacturing video cards of any type, citing a souring relationship with NVIDIA as the cause (among other reasons that were minimized). EVGA will not be exploring relationships with AMD or Intel at this time, and the company will be downsizing imminently as it exits the video card market. Customers will still be covered by EVGA policies, but EVGA will no longer make RTX or other video cards. The company already made ~20 EVT samples of EVGA RTX 4090 FTW3 cards, but will not be moving to production and has killed all active projects pertaining to cards -- including KINGPIN cards.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Jeff Fatwood posted:

He'll just do a passive aggressive rant on WAN show about it and announce a t-shirt.

"Si nosotros hablamos espanol"

With the missing accent mark and all

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

MW II is a poo poo game to benchmark IMO. It’s a console first game. Even their esports league is console, PC is more an afterthought.

Of course it’ll run well on lovely hardware.

Unrelated but MW is the only FPS where I regularly see PC players using a controller because of how hosed the aim assist is because it's console first AND crossplay

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Shipon posted:

i think there are a lot of people who would rather play poorly but look at a pretty game than turn all the settings down to get maximal fps and minimal latency to score more headshots on 8 year olds

It's me, the guy who plays Battlefield 4 and 1 in 2022 on a 3080 with my settings purely for clarity of vision and a 1% frame time of just below my monitors refresh rate.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Top streamers make gently caress all from subs. It’s the sponsored content bringing in the money. Asmongold went over it when he broke character and basically said the new changes gently caress over anyone under 1-2k viewers.

Was ths MAGA bit a character as well?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Charles Leclerc posted:

Yeah as a producer, which is mediaspeak for the person signing the cheques. You think all those loving names on movie credits as 'Executive Producer' ever showed up to the set? :dafuq:

This thread has certifiable brainworms over Linus, it's loving bonkers.

Executive Producer is money and business side of things

Producers are more on-hand, on-set things

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Holy gently caress this company into the ground

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

And it's a masterpiece

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

"room temp" is 70-72. I think a lot of ppl would find 78 approaching the "uncomfortably warm indoors" range

Living in South Texas with a newborn so the thermostat has been at 73 for 2 months...gently caress my bank account anyway

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

lol

add tropical moisture and prepare to die every morning

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

Theres one extremely effective cooling technique for gpus that used to be popular in cases but they stopped doing it a number of years ago for various reasons.

Its a big cutout inthe side panel with a fan on it.

I've lost track of the number of times I busted out my hole saw and a file for a side panel fan between 2000 and 2011 for myself and friends.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

SpartanIvy posted:

That's how I signed up for my Costco card so I guess the system works

Same, I was going to join regardless but the extra coupons didn't hurt

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

power crystals posted:

Per his twitter profile he was an editor. I don't think he ever showed his face on camera. This isn't host-Alex, that guy is named Alex Clark I'm pretty sure.

He joined LMG in 2017 apparently

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

r u ready to WALK posted:

The main thing Laserdisc had going for it was that it was invented in the late 70s and enabled fancy multimedia setups in the 80s if you could afford it

I thought it was older than that? I could've sworn it was created in the 60s but it's not like there was a commercial market for the tech at the time.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Beve Stuscemi posted:

It would be interesting to see the watch statistics of the entire youtube catalog and be able to compare them.

My guess is that 90% of youtube content is basically unwatched, maybe 95%

I have no hard data to back this up, but the amount of big creators on the platform vs account holders who have uploaded video has to be skewed hugely towards the latter.

And you can see that basically unwatched content here

http://astronaut.io/

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Substandard posted:

My algorithm at this point is just videos with titles like "Reviewing EVERY Namco PS1 game" that are 4 hours long. I've done this to myself and have few regrets.

Long form videos are extremely my poo poo to the point where I went through a 7 hour deep dive into Death Stranding only to be recommended total series retrospective of Final Fantasy and scoffed at it being only 4 hours.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

taiyoko posted:

You can't post something like this without a link, damnit! (I wanted to get into that game but I'm just loving awful at the stealth in it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg2Y5rxlg-M

Are you talking about stealth against BTS (the weird black umbilical cord ghosts) or against MULE bandits?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

So this is kinda wild to me but a 6 loving hour Eve online documentary dropped last night and when I looked it had 450k views 14 hours in.

https://youtu.be/BCSeISYcoyI?si=S_LNo9-gmhsAlGRm

How are views actually counted on YouTube? That’s something I’ve never actually seen anywhere.

The first 45 min of the video are a pretty good look into how the game came about at least.

It's his first video in 2 years so there's some pent up demand for his content

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

njsykora posted:

The problem is that now people are saying this guy must be lying about it for clout since it's been picked up by noted piece of poo poo Karl Jobst.

I only know that name tangentially through Goldeneye speedrunning and cheating but what did he do now lmao

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Scrolling through the thread and thinking for a second that Joe Rogan was back on YouTube

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

In Edge there’s a function to convert the webpage you’re looking at into an app you can pin to your taskbar. It looks and functions like a dedicated app.

Doesn't Chrome do this as well?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

Haha I created my Steam account like....2 months after the creation of Steam and it's my AOL address that I haven't used since 2004 when I got a gmail account beta code :D

Similar story except it was a few days after Steam launched and a Hotmail account that's primary use was MSN Messenger that was forgotten after a Gmail beta invite as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

I think anyone with a steam account from 2004 got it for HL2, no one signed up just to get... God what was even on there other than HL2 at the time? Ragdoll Kung Fu?

My Steam account is from September 16, 2003 older than my SA Account, primarily using it for Counter-Strik 1.6 and Day of Defeat 1.3 (retail).

I may be remembering incorrectly but I think the chat client for Steam had Chess or Checkers