Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
This game looks kind of dogshit, but I'm a massive ham and managed to enjoy Deathwing. Will enjoying the setting carry me through this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

JBP posted:

This game looks kind of dogshit, but I'm a massive ham and managed to enjoy Deathwing. Will enjoying the setting carry me through this?

The story and all the side quests will get you to about level 25-30. As a ham I really enjoyed it, BUT the leveling after that is a chore currently and hopefully will be improved down the line. All 3 classes feel very different and have u Kaye voice actors so reply isn’t to bad.

If they do fix XP rewards as they stand now past the story missions I will be a lot keener to hit max level.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Killer_Bees! posted:

The story and all the side quests will get you to about level 25-30. As a ham I really enjoyed it, BUT the leveling after that is a chore currently and hopefully will be improved down the line. All 3 classes feel very different and have u Kaye voice actors so reply isn’t to bad.

If they do fix XP rewards as they stand now past the story missions I will be a lot keener to hit max level.

So would you say the story is good enough to warrant the purchase? I'll likely just play the main mission and some side stuff. All the gameplay videos I've seen look very rough, but it's hard to say without having played it.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

JBP posted:

So would you say the story is good enough to warrant the purchase? I'll likely just play the main mission and some side stuff. All the gameplay videos I've seen look very rough, but it's hard to say without having played it.

I wouldn't say the story is great or anything. It's a pretty standard 40k spaceshipwarpchaosfortheemperorheritics story. I'd only say buy it if you want to explode dudes with bolters and stuff. I think it's fun enough to warrant a purchase and they have been adding things at a pretty steady pace.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

JBP posted:

It is pretty rough and gets repetitive and grindy pretty quickly. I'd say hold off for now if you're at all on the fence.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

randombattle posted:

I wouldn't say the story is great or anything. It's a pretty standard 40k spaceshipwarpchaosfortheemperorheritics story. I'd only say buy it if you want to explode dudes with bolters and stuff. I think it's fun enough to warrant a purchase and they have been adding things at a pretty steady pace.

I'd say the story is actually pretty good. You can really see that the writers know 40k beyond the usual 40k game level. It's chock full of references to more obscure (and sometimes, already retconned) stuff and it actually pushes some new ground instead of just re-treading well-known 40k concepts. And they lean heavily into the Inquisition angle, so there's a lot more grey and the push and pull between Radical and Puritan is pretty interesting and believable.

It's short though, if you bought the game just for the story you would not get your moneys worth.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

is the story set pre-Primarchs Return?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

coconono posted:

is the story set pre-Primarchs Return?

I think so? Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2 bills itself as the first post-Gathering Storm 40k game (or 41k game I guess). There's certainly nothing about Primaris marines, a returned Guilliman or half the galaxy getting screwed that I noticed in Martyr.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DatonKallandor posted:

I think so? Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2 bills itself as the first post-Gathering Storm 40k game (or 41k game I guess). There's certainly nothing about Primaris marines, a returned Guilliman or half the galaxy getting screwed that I noticed in Martyr.

ok cool. I haven't read any of the 41st fiction yet so I wasn't sure what if this was gonna be a big ol tonal whiplash.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waiting for the first major content update I think before playing more. Already feeling burned out as all of the side missions are exactly the same over and over again and the leveling is painfully slow. :( Game is fun, it just needs more content.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
The most important question: can I be an Ork?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Jarvisi posted:

No, there is no race choice.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jarvisi posted:

No and there needs to be. :(

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Games not bad. Do hope I get to kill some green skins or Tyranids soon though.

Edit: I am finding it hard to settle between Crusader and Pysker. I'm starting to lean more towards the Pysker, because the damage out out of the crusader types is meh. They're tank as gently caress but I wanted more trash mob wiping and Pysker seems to do that well.

Thronde fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 19, 2018

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
At level 29 i think the Crusader gets a perk that translates their deflect chance directly into a damage bonus, they also have another perk that doubles their deflect chance for -20% armor, which puts you at 70% without any problems. Any time a game lets you get offense by stacking a defensive stat you pretty much enter easy mode. You can also get a skill that turns deflects into suppression resist and it also comes as a mod on several items. You can also turn deflects into reduced cooldowns from the speed tree. I basically run around spamming my shield smash and taking no damage.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

The Movement tree is mislabelled because at least half of it is giant cooldown buffs, not movement speed. It's really good for many weapons and classes.

waffleman
Aug 5, 2007

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY
it really ties the nation together
I noticed an slot open in Chapel13. Any chance I can get my application approved? In game name is kharfa or kharfa3.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

waffleman posted:

I noticed an slot open in Chapel13. Any chance I can get my application approved? In game name is kharfa or kharfa3.

You are in, we are almost at rank 3, so we might be able to get +5 more members?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Patch notes and new event is up:

https://neocoregames.com/en/community/hub/inquisitor-martyr-patch-v104-june-22-daemonic-incursion#comments

Global Event: Unholy Incursion
Added a specific matchmaking feature for the Event

Neat

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Exmond posted:

Patch notes and new event is up:

https://neocoregames.com/en/community/hub/inquisitor-martyr-patch-v104-june-22-daemonic-incursion#comments

Global Event: Unholy Incursion
Added a specific matchmaking feature for the Event

Neat

tl;dr is it worth doing the event?

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

kinkouin posted:

tl;dr is it worth doing the event?

Relic drops have a chance to be missing their special stats, you have to do 10/30/50 missions for meh rewards, servers are ghosting For anything that’s not the event, solo fate runs are ok group ones have a chance to crash

Oh and they are giving meme virus as a reward to the top 100 assholes grinding the most ... you know .. the guys who exploited meme virus enough they took them away from the rest of us and now we can’t get to 50 anymore. Just what the gently caress is even their play here ?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I applied to Chapel13 just in case a spot opens or we hit level 3.

The mission to defend the tech priest is a massive pain in my rear end for my dual autopistol Eradicator.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Killer_Bees! posted:

Relic drops have a chance to be missing their special stats, you have to do 10/30/50 missions for meh rewards, servers are ghosting For anything that’s not the event, solo fate runs are ok group ones have a chance to crash

Oh and they are giving meme virus as a reward to the top 100 assholes grinding the most ... you know .. the guys who exploited meme virus enough they took them away from the rest of us and now we can’t get to 50 anymore. Just what the gently caress is even their play here ?

The meme virus thing is retarded. Just remove all of them and flat out double the xp on everything. At least the event wasn't as bad as the first one. If you do your 50 missions you're essentially getting double fate with the 400 fate reward at the end.

I finally hit 50 last night, and then immediately crafted myself to 1500 after using the last of my fate on fortune runs. I guess I'm done now. I could still use 2 more warfare points, +crit on 2 or 3 items, a good relic grav gun, and a relic void shield, but it's kind of whatever since impossible missions are already easy and there's no stacking difficulty to run like maps or rifts. The only thing there is, is the last stand map that's buggy as crap and highly favors tank melee builds over more fragile high damage ranged builds.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I found a pretty interesting build for Assassins that focuses on Full Auto on auto pistols. I'm adapting it to a Jumpsader build instead, so I can use turrets and whatnot as needed. But it's surprisingly fun. It's a mash of a Salvosader build and Demon Hunter. For added fun I got a random relic shield so I'm running a bolster pistol, the shield, and assault armor. Jump in, right click, hit 2 and watch all the things fall down.

Are gravguns and grav pistols worth a gently caress?

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Thronde posted:

I found a pretty interesting build for Assassins that focuses on Full Auto on auto pistols. I'm adapting it to a Jumpsader build instead, so I can use turrets and whatnot as needed. But it's surprisingly fun. It's a mash of a Salvosader build and Demon Hunter. For added fun I got a random relic shield so I'm running a bolster pistol, the shield, and assault armor. Jump in, right click, hit 2 and watch all the things fall down.

Are gravguns and grav pistols worth a gently caress?

The grav pistols are hot garbage. The grav gun however is very good. I use it exclusively on my crusader. The left click is armor piercing, the right click stuns turrets, the 3rd ability is a chain channeled aoe, and the fourth ability is a ground targeted aoe that ticks. 3/4 kill anything that's not a space marine/elite and then your 1/2 combo chunks down all elites/armored. It's a really good gun.

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
After Optimal Dispersion is fixed in the next patch it will be a good chance to see what new builds emerge. Except for Psykers, they won't change too much.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

my complete lack of surprise that the console port has been pushed back to TBA. The real fun part are tweets like these:

https://twitter.com/NeocoreGames/status/1009385978111328256

https://twitter.com/40k_Inquisitor/status/1009385118027403264

that's some real passive aggressive poo poo.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

coconono posted:

my complete lack of surprise that the console port has been pushed back to TBA. The real fun part are tweets like these:

https://twitter.com/NeocoreGames/status/1009385978111328256

https://twitter.com/40k_Inquisitor/status/1009385118027403264

that's some real passive aggressive poo poo.

For what it's worth, that reads more like passing off the question, which makes sense. Because a different studio is doing the port, they really can't say anything about it. If Neocore confirms that it's supposed to drop on July 5th but then Big Ben says it'll be delayed for two weeks, it's Big Ben's fault but Neocore takes the PR hit.

To be honest, it's kinda like asking your dentist if you're still on schedule for your eye surgery. That's REALLY not his department. His answer is going to be to ask your eye doctor.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
Applied in game as "Gafencu."

I'm mostly glad that the worst and weirdest bugs are out the way. I played this a fair amount in beta, and encountered things like a Helbrute that would crash my game if I got in vision range of it, like clockwork.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Cobbsprite posted:

For what it's worth, that reads more like passing off the question, which makes sense. Because a different studio is doing the port, they really can't say anything about it. If Neocore confirms that it's supposed to drop on July 5th but then Big Ben says it'll be delayed for two weeks, it's Big Ben's fault but Neocore takes the PR hit.

To be honest, it's kinda like asking your dentist if you're still on schedule for your eye surgery. That's REALLY not his department. His answer is going to be to ask your eye doctor.

not saying outright that its been pushed back is weirdly defensive to me, like Big Ben is loving them over or something. Like I said the initial delay didn’t surprise me and further delays also don’t since the cert process for xbox and psn are a bit more involved.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
For any idiot inquisitive inquisitors like me out there, fusion works by absorbing the four surrounding relics to power the middle one

Don't be like me and experiment with your precious relics

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

coconono posted:

not saying outright that its been pushed back is weirdly defensive to me, like Big Ben is loving them over or something. Like I said the initial delay didn’t surprise me and further delays also don’t since the cert process for xbox and psn are a bit more involved.

If its not your department/company then you don't have to say anything about it and in most cases you shouldn't.

Been burned by that before, so I don't blame them for being vague.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Really wish this game had an option like Rifts or something for faster leveling. The grind is real and painful. That's gotta be a minor complaint though but even grinding up to 14/15 I see how 30+ is going to be pain.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

coconono posted:

I asked the same question a week or so ago and they said july the 5th.

the bigben facebook page says the 5th too. but who the gently caress knows. AA games get hosed over a ton with release dates.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 29, 2018

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I asked the same question a week or so ago and they said july the 5th.

the bigben facebook page says the 5th too. but who the gently caress knows. AA games get hosed over a ton with release dates.

If it drops like planned, I'd expect a hugeass 0 day patch. I seriously doubt it since I heard some chatter that Xbox's store was refunding pre-orders.

People are already freaking out on the official forums about console players not getting season 1 rewards or whatever. This is why I never pay this much attention to games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Inquisitor is my favorite WH40K game ever, but man i'm not gonna lie, it is so not ready for a PC launch still. Never mind a console launch. It needs extra time to be polished, fixed, and balanced.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

I said come in! posted:

Inquisitor is my favorite WH40K game ever, but man i'm not gonna lie, it is so not ready for a PC launch still. Never mind a console launch. It needs extra time to be polished, fixed, and balanced.

Definitely. "Favorite 40k game" isn't exactly a high hurdle to clear, but this needed to cook longer. Every time one of the execution animations pops, I just sigh. Would have been so cool if it was animated a bit more lovingly, but still. I enjoy playing it in bursts.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Heavy Bolters are stupid. Stupid fun. I felt like a bully last night playing with Kink and Cow. I recall one comment about me bullying a chaos marine through cover like it didn't matter.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Co-op missions, rewards are mostly 2-4 iLevels lower than what I have, is this normal? They also only give 1/5th a rank as opposed to solo campaign missions giving 1/2 or more.

It's as if the game is focused around solo play. I'm only rank 18 but it feels like I should be encouraged towards playing with other people. At the moment though all I'm seeing is bad rewards.

Edit: Also this wouldn't be as bad an issue but the game has big jumps in expected power levels between campaign missions, forcing a grind at already a few points in the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

Thronde posted:

Heavy Bolters are stupid. Stupid fun. I felt like a bully last night playing with Kink and Cow. I recall one comment about me bullying a chaos marine through cover like it didn't matter.

Tbf cover is wonky for players too, I still haven't gotten used to cover only sometimes counting as a LOS blocker for ranged enemies or the consistent ability for enemies to shoot through solid objects once they get a bead on you. Game's still good and grindy fun despite this!