Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

OK, obviously this logo puts you in the mind of late '90s Dreamworks animation, but this motherfucker right here is the sequel to King of Dragon Pass, greatest underappreciated PC cult classic of the last 30 years. If you know what King of Dragon Pass is then you know why you're going to play this, and if you don't, go dive into an LP - https://lparchive.org/King-of-Dragon-Pass/

Release date: June 28
Platform: iOS (for now)
Price: $9.99 USD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvLNHwBXk24
(Pretty confident David Dunham did the voiceover here himself)

I wrote a review of KODP years and years ago and must have ended up on A-Sharp's radar so they've sent me a review copy (yay) but I have an exam on Tuesday so I can't get stuck into it until later this week (boo). What I find interesting is that although they said it was going to be a "spiritual successor," from reading the press kit and perusing the screenshots it looks like it's going to - from a gameplay perspective - pretty solidly follow the mechanics of KODP. (From a story perspective it's a prequel that takes place something like 2000 years before KODP.)

quote:

Compared to King of Dragon Pass

Essential game play is the same:
- Design your own clan, visit the gods, become respected and popular, and raid your neighbor’s cows.
- Your decisions all have weight. There are no wrong answers, just your choice of affecting your relationships with other clans, the gods, your ancestors, or your people.
- Characters with personalities execute your decisions and advise you. You’ll become attached to them as you follow their stories over multiple generations.
- Playable myths let you visit the Other Side.

(Hahaha there may have been no right answers in KODP but as we all know there were most definitely wrong answers - constantly and without reprieve)

My take is that a new spin laid over an old framework will be just fine! KODP was one of the best games of all time and migrated to the indie ios environment really well, so if it ain't broke don't fix it, and I hope they make a lot of money considering how many of us probably ripped KODP from bittorrent before it ever went to ios or, in my case, played it on a burnt Balinese CD-ROM in the 1990s.

My favourite thing, from keeping half an eye on the Twitter account over the years, is the impression I got that A-Sharp is basically just David Dunham who has more or less developed this game from sheer force of will and ran the production out of his living room:

Anyway there is apparently also a Discord channel, whatever the gently caress Discord is - https://discordapp.com/invite/Jkb9z3M
Website - https://sixages.com/
Purchase link at the Apple store - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/six-ages-ride-like-the-wind/id934012726?mt=8

And the current running LP - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862744&pagenumber=1

I'll start playing the review copy over the next couple of weeks and let y'all know what I think.

freebooter fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i'm really excited for this but i wish the pc version had a known release date!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It’s strange to claim this is set 2000 years before Kodp when linear time had only been in glorantha for about 1000 years before that game.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

A huge part of KoDP is acting like a orlenti, so just not being one should shake things up a ton.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I think these guys are Orlanthi, they're just not Heortlanders or Dragon Passers. So same general foundation myth, different attitudes and gods favored.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

SunAndSpring posted:

I think these guys are Orlanthi, they're just not Heortlanders or Dragon Passers. So same general foundation myth, different attitudes and gods favored.

the buzz is that you're playing as a tribe called the Berenethtelli, who are heavily influenced by Solar gods and like horses, but are technically Orlanthi. I don't really have super much info so that's probably wrong, but all the chiefs in the trailer have the sun rune rather than air, there's a lot of horses and the game's set in Saird. If it is those guys, it'll be really interesting because that region is going to get caught up in a lot of big conflicts in the setting, like the Gbaji wars, Sheng seleris, the Lunar Empire expanding and what the deal with Elmal and Yelmalio is

e: it might actually be hyalorings, which are related to the grazelanders that raid you in KODP early on. I dont know poo poo about sun country stuff or early glorantha

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 11, 2018

linall
Feb 1, 2007
This is pretty awesome. I do wish he was developing for PC first ( if only because he'd likely end up with more money ) but there is a macbook sitting on my bed, so I'm hyped to play on release day either way.

e: vvv - Huh. What do you know. I wouldn't have guess that, but I guess it's quick enough to finish a game of KoDP.

linall fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 11, 2018

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
iirc the iphone version of KODP sold the best out of any version. There was even a bit in an interview where the dev mentioned he was designing for the Apple Newton at the really early stages

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Can You Play As The Ducks

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I've been playing this for a bit now and it's loving hard. Like, obviously KODP was loving hard, but after a certain point you knew to just max out your crop yields and go steal the wyrm's treasure etc. I'm sure there will be loopholes like that in Six Ages for the savvy player, but going in blind, it's loving hard.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Oh poo poo is it out????? gently caress

linall
Feb 1, 2007

goferchan posted:

Oh poo poo is it out????? gently caress

Naw, the OP is playing a review copy. It's not out until the 28th.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I want this really drat bad, hopefully they don't wait too long on a Steam release. Seems like it's set around the Gbaji period, so I imagine the endgame is gonna get pretty wild

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

From what I've heard it won't be up for other platforms until 2019.

Until then if you have the ability to play it on iPad I would definitely go with that over iPhone, for basically the same reason as KODP. They've done a good job squishing it all up but it's still fundamentally squished - most notably, as with KODP, the clan ring is minimised unless you bring it up, and I feel like I don't grow as accustomed to them. But it's fine on iPhone.

As for the game itself - I don't want to say too much because they asked me not to spoil anything - but there's a fairly fundamental change which at first felt like window dressing to me, but as the game goes on it becomes clear that it's really quite clever in a way that will only affect the attitude of long-time players of KODP.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I am pretty psyched for this game, and am very happy that my SO has an iPad.

Are there still hero quests?

pokie fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 18, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
gently caress you for making this thread, I got in on the final wave of closed beta and having to refrain from saying anything about it for eleven days is going to cause me to literally explode

maybe I can say that David is good and has been highly engaged in the testing process

maybe that's allowed

edited because I forgot the first name of the Glorious Overlord

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 18, 2018

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

pokie posted:

I am pretty psyched for this game, and am very happy that my SO has an iPad.

Are there still hero quests?

The websites description of the game says "Playable myths that let you visit the other side" so I'm assuming yes even if they're not called Hero Quests

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Also after playing the first game on and off for like 15 years since middle school I finally got my first long game victory last week :) :) Feels drat good

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

gently caress you for making this thread, I got in on the final wave of closed beta and having to refrain from saying anything about it for eleven days is going to cause me to literally explode

maybe I can say that David is good and has been highly engaged in the testing process

maybe that's allowed

edited because I forgot the first name of the Glorious Overlord

Haha well I half assed this OP, feel free to make a new one on release

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

goferchan posted:

Also after playing the first game on and off for like 15 years since middle school I finally got my first long game victory last week :) :) Feels drat good

I still play kodp regularly (or did) but I don't think I'll ever top my Humakti Queen game.

The tribe revolted twice. The first time she talked them down, presumably while going :toughguy: with her knockoff Murdersword.

The second time basically every other clan in the tribe tried to overthrow her. But hey, guess what, assholes! Like any other player worth a drat I've spent the wh9le game sucking up to Maran Gor at every opportunity!

And that's how I used a WMD to kill literally hundreds of my own tribe and cow them into letting a devotee of the God of Death found Sartar.

edit: to be clear, my problem with this thread existing isn't your OP, it's having discussions happen about 6A that I can't participate in

although I'll be happy to contribute stuff to a new op or thread on the Big Day

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 18, 2018

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
I've been working on the game doing QA for the last few months and its been a great gig. The game is really solid because it was developed for iOS specifically in mind, which is great because with that kind of focus what you get is a rock-hard stability and feature sets. Beyond that, as I posted in the KoDP thread, Six Ages is really good and plays well on small phones like the iPhone5, but I definitely recommend playing on iPad if you can. I even find myself whipping it out to play when I'm out and about because it's not only a good game, but perfect for those few minutes you've got to fill between waiting for things/ppl...etc. A single session can last for HOURS if you let yourself get swept up in just "one more turn/season/year"...etc. Its as bad as Civilization haha (in a good way).

The new features and lore bits I think any KoDP player will find pretty exciting, but theres ALOT to dig into here, so its easy to get overwhelmed, just take it slow. All the testers, myself included have run all sorts of wacky, niche and silly clans trying to find loop holes and exploits... I can honestly say that nearly any play style is viable if you work it, but as a word of advice, the game will own you hard if you get too aggressive in regards to other warring with other clans and man-handling relations. One of my favorite methods of play is pushing to form trade alliances and ally everyone that I can (I tend to run a pacifist explorer clan).

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 18, 2018

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

freebooter posted:

As for the game itself - I don't want to say too much because they asked me not to spoil anything - but there's a fairly fundamental change which at first felt like window dressing to me, but as the game goes on it becomes clear that it's really quite clever in a way that will only affect the attitude of long-time players of KODP.

🤔🤔 now you got me speculating. I noticed in the screenshots that each clan ring member is now associated with a certain family -- managing relations between those could provide an interesting twist? Also I noticed a drat Shaman worshipper on there! How far we have fallen from Orlanth's grace......

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Oh wow this comes out soon? What a nice surprise!

David is seriously a top tier developer. Everyone should throw money at him.

He made the first game accessible for visually impaired and blind players, just to be a good dude. Looked at the press kit and Six Ages was designed with accessibility in mind instead of being retrofitted. That poo poo deserves applause since it's usually an afterthought for most devs.

Plus kodp, classic, etc etc.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

goferchan posted:

🤔🤔 now you got me speculating. I noticed in the screenshots that each clan ring member is now associated with a certain family -- managing relations between those could provide an interesting twist? Also I noticed a drat Shaman worshipper on there! How far we have fallen from Orlanth's grace......

I will say that it's story related, not gameplay related. The gameplay is very much a KODP structure with minor tweaking - scare bandits away from your exploration party with a bluff, call on allies for help in a raid, learn blessings before building a temple etc. Which I'm fine with.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Feel free to give us more NDA friendly tidbits. Been waiting for this game all my life. I also need more random Glorantha lore dumps in my life.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Ha, I didn't sign anything and I'm not any kind of professional reviewer, they sent it to me based on a wordpress-hosted blog review I did years and years ago. But I respect them and the game and the other players and I can understand why there are things (one thing in particular) they want to keep on the down low.

You can see how they've built on the changes to the KODP mobile port (IIRC they did stuff like no longer allow you to adjust your exact number of hunters and crafters, because everyone would always just ditch hunting and crank out goods) to refine gameplay which became a bit unbalanced or pointless in KODP after you figured the system out. Most notably, food is now expressed in how many seasons you have in reserve and it's impossible to build up a big stockpile like any KODP veteran would. Not to the point where you're always on the brink of starvation, which would be annoying - in fact I've only run into that after a really unpleasant event brought the clan to its knees in general - but enough to actually make it something you need to keep an eye on again.

I think there's more heroquests (now "rituals") than KODP, but gently caress me dead are they hard. The game keeps pushing me towards a particular one the advisors claim is the easiest, which lets you ford rivers (there are two big rivers on the map and until you do this ritual you have to part with magic for even a chance of crossing when sending out raiders or trading missions or explorers, every single time) and so far I've failed it four times with four different participants. Exploration has also been tweaked so there's grey areas of the map and also dark areas of the map, and you can't strike off to the edge straight away, you have to gradually push the unknown lands out.

JanPospisil
Jul 27, 2013

Ask me about Verethragna!

freebooter posted:

you have to part with magic for even a chance of crossing when sending out raiders or trading missions or explorers, every single time

I think there is a small chance you'll cross successfuly just on your own, and there are post-failure options to try other than spending magic. But yes, it's uncertain without the ritual.

(Hi, btw. ;))

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah it appears there are other options, I must have had a run of failures early on and been conditioned to simply not try river crossings at all. It's still a pain in the rear end so I think the river crossing ritual is something players will definitely want to check off the list early in the game. For everyone who's going to start playing in a week, you can learn it by sacrificing to Elmal (which wasn't clear to me at first because it's an ancestor/hero ritual, not an Elmal ritual).

Incidentally I believe the game is open for pre-orders today/tomorrow depending on your timezone. Also something quite surprising happened when I was playing last night and I want to talk about it but can't because of spoilers!

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

That's what spoiler tags are for... :ninja:

Though, probably won't be much discussion until after the actual release.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/six-ages-ride-like-the-wind/id934012726?platform=iphone&preserveScrollPosition=true#platform/iphone

preorder's up, along with a few new images in the preview

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

:toot:

nyalda be praised, rideable dinosaurs are good

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I'm pretty curious about how your cults are going to work out since you have Elmal and Yelm. I guess one pantheon didn't get the message

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

so, the word has gone out that we are allowed to talk about game mechanics but not allowed to spoil story details

i'm not entirely sure how to navigate this

...especially in light of Certain Adjustments in the apparent release candidate

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

i can, however, firmly assert that Shaman councilmembers are super great

edit: not only is there a new gimmick where you can collect spirits that can be propitiated for (usually) one or (sometimes) a selection of blessings, like "better sneakiness" or "handles stubborn people better", but shaman ringmembers also have really good advice on local spirits and are generally pretty awesome

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 21, 2018

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Oh yeah I saw Shaman worshipper ring members in some of the prerelease screenshots and was like 👀👀. I'm not gonna trust them at all but by god that seems useful

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Anyway spill some more new game mechanics please, this week is gonna be agonizing. How close are myths to heroquests? It sounds like they may be more of them & they're more involved which is honestly better than I could have hoped for

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So, exactly, what does preordering mean? PC games have broken my brain and I want a season pass or skins or something.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

nyalda be praised, rideable dinosaurs are good

Hell, yeah.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I only just realised the meaning of the title: it's part one of six episodic games they plan to release, hence Six Ages.

goferchan posted:

Anyway spill some more new game mechanics please, this week is gonna be agonizing. How close are myths to heroquests? It sounds like they may be more of them & they're more involved which is honestly better than I could have hoped for

I've had my rear end kicked so many times by Baby's First River Taming that I'm frankly scared to even attempt the others

JanPospisil
Jul 27, 2013

Ask me about Verethragna!
Not sure if you saw, https://sixages.com/ now reveals a bit more of the basic story setup (along with even more screens).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

wait, 5 more games? are they going to be full games? is this a full game? longer/shorter than kodp?