Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Hey people, there's a Six Ages style Heroquest: Glorantha game going on in discord. Plus a bonus Praxgame!

Six Ages in Dara Happa

The Emperor is dead! Yelm has fallen from the sky and the many suns war for the right to succeed him. Your city is perfectly positioned to swing the balance. Who shall you choose? Shargash, the Demon Sun, Maybe? Mernita, the Turning Sun, perhaps? Vrimak the Bird Sun looks like a contender to me! But, a lot of people seem real interested in this Elmal, the Defender Sun, guy, for some reason. Of course, that's the easy part. See, over time, many corruptions have crept into Dara Happan society. Hatred, Cruelty and Fear rule instead of Justice. To restore the sun to the sky, the iniquities that coat the empire like grime must be banished.

Bonus: To Ride Free: The Liberation of Prax

Prax is where the animal nomads live. A wasteland scorched by flame and scarred by chaos, to survive there you must have joined into the survival covenant. The losers of this contest are the herd animals, the eaten. The winners are the herd riders, the eaters. Life is hard here and filled with the endless struggle against chaos, which never ceases, even when the Storm Bull crushed the devil beneath the Block, it did not end. But it does not have to be like this. A vision has come to your clan, of a green age for Prax again. To gain it, you must overcome your enemies not just through battle, but through understanding and even peace.

We want to see both players and spectators. And it's a good place to learn about Glorantha lore in general.

Enter Here, If You Dare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Trying to finally beat Ride Like the Wind to prepare for the sequel, but I think I might be locked into a bad ending? Foreign Beren got engaged to the Ram, my Beren killed him, they eloped, and I got a message saying the promised union between Ram and Rider can now never occur. So how far back do I need to go to avert this?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You need Beren to marry her to get the good ending. There's a few points where you can mess that up, but they should be all within the last two or three years, so loading a save not that far back should be fine.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Hell, the hard part is getting her clan to say yes :v: I've noticed that while you are totally able to shower them in gifts like any of the others, they always refuse to ally with you and it seems like their relationship degrades much faster than anybody else so it's hard to stay on their good side long enough. Although i suppose it's more the choices you make during the actual marriage arrangement itself than their relationship to you that matters anyway.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
One sticking point is that you can tell Beren he needs to convince other Rider clans to proceed. This provides a bonus to later steps if it succeeds, but puts you in a failure condition if it doesn't

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

One sticking point is that you can tell Beren he needs to convince other Rider clans to proceed. This provides a bonus to later steps if it succeeds, but puts you in a failure condition if it doesn't

poo poo, that was it! This is why I didn’t complete the game when it came out either, the endgame stuff can be very finicky and it’s not clear when you screwed up.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Ok, made it further. How do I kill an inhuman king for the Orlanthi?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Randomly remembered the group of strange wanderers while reading the thread that's just a quest event where a bunch of PCs playing Heroquest show up and make trouble.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

They have really cool loot on them! We can probably take them!

*Lose 4 swords in the process of getting their loot* Worth it!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Smiling Knight posted:

Ok, made it further. How do I kill an inhuman king for the Orlanthi?

Just wait a few seasons and you'll get an event

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Just wait a few seasons and you'll get an event

Thank you! Killed a scorpion, beat up some losers, and helped out Orlanth in the Gods’ War. The ending slides were very nice. Now to move on to When the Lights Go Out, blind! I am sure that nothing bad will happen.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Pshaw, yeah don't worry about it you'll be fiiiiine

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Just get lots of cows and you'll be fine! Trading is pretty OP as always so you can just- hey where did that friendly tribe go all of a sudden :ohdear:

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Ernalda is slain? I guess we gotta lure the Chaos god who murdered her to the heart of our clan so we can kill him stone dead. This game rules, no quarter for Chaos, we’re taking them all down with us.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Smiling Knight posted:

Ernalda is slain? I guess we gotta lure the Chaos god who murdered her to the heart of our clan so we can kill him stone dead. This game rules, no quarter for Chaos, we’re taking them all down with us.

gently caress yeah! I just did this and it was great.

The game is kind of weird right now. Sure, there is a constant pressure for food and clans keep vanishing, but I actually felt like I'd stabilized things for a second better than I ever did in Ride Like the Wind. (Around when I decided to murder a chaos God, frankly). And yeah, within a year everything had fallen to poo poo again and I was struggling to keep food on the table again, but the spirals seem decently easy to at least arrest, if not reverse.

This game is awesome and I love the vibe, even more than KoDP or Ride Like the Wind.

On the other hand, I settled in early for "we're gonna try and survive this poo poo, I'm not aiming to reclaim lost glories here". Maybe that'll gently caress me over later, I don't know.

E: ngl, this Berry spirit I grabbed has saved my rear end so many times...

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 15, 2023

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

gently caress yeah! I just did this and it was great.

The game is kind of weird right now. Sure, there is a constant pressure for food and clans keep vanishing, but I actually felt like I'd stabilized things for a second better than I ever did in Ride Like the Wind. (Around when I decided to murder a chaos God, frankly). And yeah, within a year everything had fallen to poo poo again and I was struggling to keep food on the table again, but the spirals seem decently easy to at least arrest, if not reverse.

This game is awesome and I love the vibe, even more than KoDP or Ride Like the Wind.

On the other hand, I settled in early for "we're gonna try and survive this poo poo, I'm not aiming to reclaim lost glories here". Maybe that'll gently caress me over later, I don't know.

E: ngl, this Berry spirit I grabbed has saved my rear end so many times...

Berry and that scripted Dostal worshipper are clutch for hunger. Also strongly endorse a renowned magic shaman, spirits have saved my bacon in events so many times.

Make sure that the second king is on the ring when Chaos causes communication troubles. He has dialogue that is basically I would have killed my father with my own two hands were it not for the ban on kinstrife. A bit of spicy characterization hidden there!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I dunno if it's real or confirmation bias, but I found raids to be much easier to win in Lights Going Out. The usual cause of failure in Ride Like the Wind (besides navigating the ending sequence wrong) is getting raided to death, which is much less likely to happen in LGO in my experience. So you have the constant struggle for food, but if you manage to solve that, there really aren't that many things which can put you in a death spiral. That said, food is rarely solved permanently.

One of the best hidden events I'm aware of gives a big fields buff for something like ten or fifteen years; enough time to stabilize, build up your economy, and steal all your neighbor's cows. To be honest, knowing how to trigger is reliably sort of made the game worse for me cause it made the midgame much less difficult. If you explore in the unnamed forest to the south of the dog hills, there's a chance (somewhere around 50% in my experience) that you meet Cenala. If you didn't import a save, or imported a save where you embraced Cenala, you can sacrifice her for a really strong fields buff

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Having the "preferred" clan way to fight system makes combat a bit more consistent (if you pick fight cautiously as your fighiting style anyway), not sure how letting Renala decide makes things any different on that front though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Smiling Knight posted:

Berry and that scripted Dostal worshipper are clutch for hunger. Also strongly endorse a renowned magic shaman, spirits have saved my bacon in events so many times.

Make sure that the second king is on the ring when Chaos causes communication troubles. He has dialogue that is basically I would have killed my father with my own two hands were it not for the ban on kinstrife. A bit of spicy characterization hidden there!
Oh, huh. I didn't realize I could actually keep doing two ventures a year if I did that. I picked combat for my Ancestor skill buff so so far I've been hesitant to let the second king take over since I started with a badass Osara worshipper with about a billion leadership.

Also is the scripted Dostal worshipper hanvan? If so he got eaten by a vampire about a year after he got put on the ring. Oops. This game has continued my KoDP tradition of being heavily Humakti-focused as far as warleaders go, the one you seem scripted to start with is badass and saves me in raids regularly to the point where I can try and focus on othe things. That event fired as soon as I sent her off on a Chaos hunting venture lol. Sorry hunter man.

E: combat does feel easier than in RLtW, and closer to KoDP. Maybe it's just because you're Rams again? Adding in the "optimal " clan way to fight bonus does seem to help. I know that I pick fighting cleverly (no idea if that was a good one to pick) every chance I get and it always wins battles for me, sometimes against stupid odds. I haven't needed to stack two many warshrines either. Humakt's is usually running Truesword, Elmal has Shield, and Dostal has Trueshot, but that's really it. Trueshot only half counts since I mostly wanted it for the hunting and the skirmisher buff is just a bonus.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 18, 2023

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Combat has been easier, with two exceptions:

Raids from the southern Orlanthi kingdoms, which inflict dozens of casualties even if you win; and

That one combat event where your character gets lured with trickster magic into an archer ambush, which every time I’ve hit it has resulted in instant loss of the raid and 100+ killed/wounded.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

I Fought, We Won! I had to do the ending sequence twice, first time I role played it as the final survivor, the Prince, who had heroic magic but, let’s face it, is a bit of an impetuous fool. Second attempt, took the options that were correct from the perspective of what was really going on.

Only got two pieces of the regalia. Also only 3/4 of the southern Orlanthi treasures, and lost my heroic combat Humkati looking for the last one. What happens if you collect all four?

What a great game. Made my commute a joy. Tough to match in terms of atmosphere without elements like the Devil has just murdered the god of language and hurled his corpse to earth, obliterating our neighbors and also we can’t speak anymore but I am excited for the next game regardless.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Smiling Knight posted:

I Fought, We Won! I had to do the ending sequence twice, first time I role played it as the final survivor, the Prince, who had heroic magic but, let’s face it, is a bit of an impetuous fool. Second attempt, took the options that were correct from the perspective of what was really going on.

Only got two pieces of the regalia. Also only 3/4 of the southern Orlanthi treasures, and lost my heroic combat Humkati looking for the last one. What happens if you collect all four?

What a great game. Made my commute a joy. Tough to match in terms of atmosphere without elements like the Devil has just murdered the god of language and hurled his corpse to earth, obliterating our neighbors and also we can’t speak anymore but I am excited for the next game regardless.

If you collect all four you get a really big diplomacy buff. As for regalia it is literally impossible to find the third one. There is so scene for it in the files and no data for it as a treasure.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

NewMars posted:

If you collect all four you get a really big diplomacy buff. As for regalia it is literally impossible to find the third one. There is so scene for it in the files and no data for it as a treasure.

Someone in the Kitfox discord reported that's not quite true; if you find the two regalia and send the king into the final scene, apparently you can find the third one while you're there. Of course, by that point, it's just a bit of flavor text and maybe a flag in the save, not a treasure.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 20, 2023

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007

freebooter posted:

Lol you just know that the writers are well aware of how much people love the ducks. "Me! Let me praise the duck! Beautiful duck!"

What’s the green text mean?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Koryk posted:

What’s the green text mean?

The action recommended by the current advisor speaking

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
Thanks. I was doing a Hero Quest and three different ones were showing green.

Is there a comprehensive guide to SA2 yet? The Six Ages wiki seem a jumbled together with RWTW articles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Koryk posted:

Thanks. I was doing a Hero Quest and three different ones were showing green.

Yeah sometimes one of the options is "give them the middle finger" and the advice is something like "I don't know just don't give them the middle finger they hate that" so it would highlight all the others. Or "choose any option with cows I loving love cows".

I like the text highlighting it's nice to remove some ambiguity.