Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010


Marglar


Marglar looked down from his perch and watched as one of the tentacles crashed down on the boat, splintering the spot where Tunglua was standing.

"Lua! NO!!!" he cried out.

"..."

Marglar turned, and suddenly his canine companion was sitting behind him on the desk, seemingly unharmed.

"Ah...your wonders never cease, old friend! Come, let's see what we can do about this fella here." he said, indicating the tentacle coiling up the crow's nest. Marglar then launched an arrow at it which was closely followed by the wolf, who seemed to now move as though carried by mighty wings.

Then, just as the arrow was about to miss its mark, Tunglua grabbed it in her jaws and plunged it into the target. Thus one of Marglar's arrows finally struck the beast.


Actions -
Minor: Animal Companion (Eagle); Lua summoned with 8 hp & High Ground.
Standard: Marglar RBA (Power Attack) vs Tentacle (High Ground); Miss! (9 damage from Reliable.)
Move: Stealth (Hide); Fail!


Lua's Standard: MBA vs Tentacle (High Ground); Crit! (13 damage)
Lua's Move: Defend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 20, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!


Izo Dekarta

Izo breathes a sigh of relief once the last tentacle stops moving, only to start cursing as the ship begins to rock violently. He jumps down onto the deck and rushes below, looking for any breaches in the hull of the ship as well as anything to patch it up, at least temporarily.

Rolling Search to find holes in the ship that need plugging up
Search w/ Expertise: 1d20 17

Emy
Apr 21, 2009


Captain Maria
HP: 32/32, Reserves: 10/12. Allies: Basic attacks are reliable. Off-turn action: when you make a basic attack, roll d12 with the attack roll; use if higher, crit on tie.

End-of-short-rest reserves roll (advantage): Recovered 13 hp.

Captain Maria takes a moment to gather herself as the kraken's tentacles slacken and fall from the tortured wood of the ship, before she begins shouting again.

"Secure the lines, and get that wrecked jib down. Rudder to port! Heave-to!"

Maria has the ship heave-to to slow their forward progress while the crew check the lines and sails. They can't make good repairs while the storm is so thick, but they can at least ensure the ship maneuvers more or less right and try to avoid further damage. Meanwhile, Maria will use her local knowledge to try to keep a safe course despite the low visibility.

Local knowledge (expertise, trained): Success!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Adamant Fox
HP: 28/28 | Reserves: 8/8 | Current Ki: N/A

Adamant Fox is quick to clamber back into the rigging, though her initial investigations into the jib and assorted ropes leave her with a troubling conclusion: the tentacles really did quite a number on the ship during the fight, particularly the one that wound it's way up onto the mast.

Climb (expertise): 1d20 5

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010


Marglar


After climbing down from his perch, Marglar takes a moment to investigate the remnants of the Krakken for anything useful or valuable.


Nature: 13

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011



Tansy Daggerdutch
HP: 24; Reserves: 8/8

Now that the excitement had passed, Tansy felt a bit in the way; she was an alley witch, not a bilge witch, and neither confidence games nor snake oil would keep this ship from breaking apart. With that in mind, Tansy flashed down to the deck in a burst of the frigid not-air of the Shadow Roads and put on her best "This is Fine" face. She set about helping the crew batten and lash, all the while downplaying the current existential threat as little more than a pesky setback. Unfortunately, her gritty streetwise verve didn't seem to play quite as well on a sinking ship...

"--absolutely, Wilkins! Twice as big, and on fire...now that was a pants-shitter. This penny-ante squid-and-storm game is pure babytown frolics! Hand me that gaff-whatsit, there's a good man! No, the ropey thinger with the bit on it!"

Result of 10 for Bluffing to help crew morale!

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Rent-a-Bot posted:

Izo Dekarta
Rolling Search to find holes in the ship that need plugging up
Search w/ Expertise: 1d20 17

Izo finds that at some point or another, the kraken was probably nibbling at the bottom of the ship with its beak.
With the aid of a handful of crewmen, the damage is able to be adequately repaired.


Emy posted:

Captain Maria
Maria has the ship heave-to to slow their forward progress while the crew check the lines and sails. They can't make good repairs while the storm is so thick, but they can at least ensure the ship maneuvers more or less right and try to avoid further damage. Meanwhile, Maria will use her local knowledge to try to keep a safe course despite the low visibility.

Local knowledge (expertise, trained): Success!

The crew scramble to execute Maria's orders, and in no time they have the ship set on a bee-line course, towards where their intended destination should be.
You couldn't exactly call it "smooth sailing" but given the conditions, the ride is relative steady.



Tricky posted:

Adamant Fox
Adamant Fox is quick to clamber back into the rigging, though her initial investigations into the jib and assorted ropes leave her with a troubling conclusion: the tentacles really did quite a number on the ship during the fight, particularly the one that wound it's way up onto the mast.

Climb (expertise): 1d20 5

Fox gets a bit tangled up in one of the damaged ropes (and looks a bit silly for a few moments) but is otherwise no worse for wear.
From her vantage point up near the crow's-nest, she does have a good view of the storm clouds.



Generic Octopus posted:

Marglar
After climbing down from his perch, Marglar takes a moment to investigate the remnants of the Krakken for anything useful or valuable.

Nature: 13

Tunglua scampers across the deck, with a severed tentacle gripped firmly in her jaws.
Upon examination, Marglar discovers that.... there is something unusual about this particular specimen; you've got a bad feeling about this -- but you could also just cook it and eat it.


Bee Bonk posted:

Tansy Daggerdutch
"--absolutely, Wilkins! Twice as big, and on fire...now that was a pants-shitter. This penny-ante squid-and-storm game is pure babytown frolics! Hand me that gaff-whatsit, there's a good man! No, the ropey thinger with the bit on it!"

Result of 10 for Bluffing to help crew morale!

Tansy's clever attempts at assuaging the fears of those around her seem to work; whether or not anyone genuinely believes she knows what she's talking about at all -- or if it's just seen as an amusing distraction from an otherwise serious situation -- is unclear. But it does the trick, nonetheless.





At about this time, the ship comes to a violent stop, and you are all sent reeling forward.
Marglar had misgivings about the nature of the storm all along, and Fox is beginning to feel the same way.
Maria can see some sort of island up ahead, and is also certain that they've hit some sort of reef in shallow water -- neither of which should be here.
Tansy has a sneaking suspicion that shadowy magic is afoot.
Izo takes stock of the supplies below-deck, and realizes that... some of the crates have seemingly just disappeared.



The weather begins to pass, but you now find yourselves more or less stranded.
Next on the agenda, you can:

  • investigate the remains of the kraken, to see if you can find out more about the attack
  • investigate the surrounding waters/nearby island, to try and figure out where you are
  • use magic to overcome obstacles
  • check up on the ship/passengers
  • come up with some other course of action that makes sense to the situation

P.d0t fucked around with this message at Jul 7, 2018 around 13:11

Emy
Apr 21, 2009


Captain Maria
HP: 32/32, Reserves: 10/12. Allies: Basic attacks are reliable. Off-turn action: when you make a basic attack, roll d12 with the attack roll; use if higher, crit on tie.

Maria will investigate the mysterious island, since according to what she knows, it shouldn't be here.

Investigation: Success!

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 20, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!


Izo Dekarta

Izo panics when he realizes some of the crates are missing. The tribute! No no no nonono, as he thinks this he desperately checks to make sure his own luggage hasn’t disappeared. As he does this he shouts to the deck, “Tansy!! We have a bunch of cargo that’s just disappeared, can you check to make sure this isn’t some sort of arcane trickery?”

Rolling Search
Searching for luggage w/ expertise: 1d20 10

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Adamant Fox
HP: 28/28 | Reserves: 8/8 | Current Ki: N/A

Adamant Fox takes a few moments to inspect the flora and fauna of the beach. Perhaps it will provide a clue as to where they've washed up.

Nature: 1d20 9

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011



Tansy Daggerdutch
HP: 24; Reserves: 8/8

"Of course something's yanking our wigglies," she scowls, as she uses her Transposition to shift errant cargo across the hold. "Squids of unusual size and invisible shadow reefs don't just appear for no reason. Though actually..."
Thinking back to her period of incarceration in the dungeons beneath Castle Ravenscry, Tansy contemplated what stalkers in ethereal darkness might be at play, suddenly very mindful of the ripples her teleportation charms sent through the ether.

[Dungeon Survival ] What Fuckery Is Afoot?: 1d20+1d6 16

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010


Marglar

Marglar begins rummaging through his atlases, trying to figure out where exactly they've ended up after all this mess with the krakken and the storm. While scanning the pages, Tunglua approaches with a bite of krakken hanging out of her jaw.

"..."

"Hrm? What's this?" he said, setting aside the maps for a moment to analyze the tentacle fragment. After a bit of prodding, Marglar noticed a black ichor start to bubble forth from the remnant.

"...?"

"No, that's definitely not normal for krakken blood, for sure. It's been corrupted by something...though what would be out here that could do this to a krakken is beyond me."

After wrapping the oddity in some loose paper and tucking it away in his pack, Marglar's eyes once again started to scan the maps he had scattered about. Had the ship run afoul of something that shouldn't be there...or was the ship now someplace it shouldn't be?


---------------------------------------
Geography: 17

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Emy posted:

Maria will investigate the mysterious island, since according to what she knows, it shouldn't be here.

Investigation: Success!

Though she may not have a grasp of the forces behind it, Maria is certain that the ship must have gone through some sort of portal.
Perhaps the storm was actually a manifestation of some kind of teleportation magic?

Rent-a-Bot posted:

Izo panics when he realizes some of the crates are missing.

Rolling Search
Searching for luggage w/ expertise: 1d20 10

Working with the crewman responsible, Izo is able to account for most of the luggage.
As he had feared, though, the tribute is among those items which have gone missing -- seemingly vanished into ether.

Tricky posted:

Adamant Fox takes a few moments to inspect the flora and fauna of the beach. Perhaps it will provide a clue as to where they've washed up.

Nature: 1d20 9

As Fox scans the surrounding environs, there's something tickling the tip of her brain, but what?
She has a very bad feeling about this, nonetheless.

Bee Bonk posted:

Tansy contemplated what stalkers in ethereal darkness might be at play, suddenly very mindful of the ripples her teleportation charms sent through the ether.

[Dungeon Survival ] What Fuckery Is Afoot?: 1d20+1d6 16

Though the aether seems to be clear now, Tansy can sense that a tremendous rift was here, just recently.
Very powerful, dark, and malevolent forces are definitely involved with their current misfortunes.

Generic Octopus posted:

Marglar begins rummaging through his atlases, trying to figure out where exactly they've ended up […] Had the ship run afoul of something that shouldn't be there...or was the ship now someplace it shouldn't be?

Geography: 17

Based on the shape of the beachline, the positioning of the reef, and the topographical features over the horizon, Marglar determines where they have landed.
It must be somewhere in the Westland Archipelago... but that's [some arbitrarily large distance] away from where they were sailing...?


P.d0t posted:

Using the information that you've managed to compile, have your characters talk amongst themselves, to try and piece the mystery together; feel free to RP a bit, and fill in setting/backstory details to any of the framework that has been set up, here. Maybe Tansy knows exactly what might have caused this, but won't say; Marglar can probably fill in the party on what sort of terrain to expect here, etc.

I'll get you guys into some more combat, shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emy
Apr 21, 2009


Captain Maria
HP: 32/32, Reserves: 10/12. Allies: Basic attacks are reliable. Off-turn action: when you make a basic attack, roll d12 with the attack roll; use if higher, crit on tie.

"Well, my friends, we've obviously gone through a portal. We'll be needin' to take stock of our surroundings."

Maria stands on the taffrail surely, despite the ship still swaying in the now-gentled waves.

"I'll lead a scouting party to the island. Any who're willing to put their arm to oars or blades are welcome—excepting Jones, who'll be taking over the watch. Jones: affect such repairs as can be done and get her anchored in what harbor can be found. I'll leave it to you. Scouts: with me!"

With that, she readies a tender for the trip to the island.

  • Locked thread
«2 »