Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
IN A WORLD :ohdear:
(link back to recruit/discussion thread)
Discord

We begin our adventure aboard the passenger ship, Tawdry Titan; you are either a part of the crew (whether that involves manning the ship, or looking after travellers, in some capacity or another) or you are making your way to one of the points along the ship's route.

The trip thus far has been uneventful, but dark clouds are moving up just beyond the horizon.

Take this opportunity to establish your character a little bit -- where you'd be on the ship, as well as the purpose of your travel, and a little bit about what led you here.

The ship is approaching some stormy seas; as members of the crew (if ye be), let me know if you're going to try and maintain course, or if you want to try and steer around the stormfront.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
Izo Dekarta

Izo swabs the deck with a grimace on his face, glancing occasionally to the horizon, hoping to see any sign of shore. It's been months of chasing leads, looking into any and every variety of magical scholar, eccentric hermit and shady sorcerers for any sort of clue to freeing his homeland from the supernatural ice that encases it. Facing dead end after dead end, he burned through what money he had, forcing him to have to work just to pay for his fare to the latest lead.

Please let the Swamp Witch of Guaram actually exist. Please make all this time and effort worth it. Please don't let this just be another elaborate scam, if I have to deal with another con artist trying to rip me off I'm going to- his thoughts are interrupted by the loud crack of thunder in the distance. Storm clouds, and lots of them. He approaches the nearest crew-person. "Excuse me, is there a protocol we need to follow for storms as big as this?"

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
Captain Maria
HP: 32/32, Reserves: 12/12. All basic attacks made by allies are reliable.

The nearest crew member happens to be Captain Maria, whose eyes are fixed on the horizon. She's a former mercenary, and while she wasn't born knowing how to tie a bowline like some of the sea dogs on this ship, she seems quite comfortable with ordering them around.

"Yeah," she says, "you put on your brown pants and try not to puke or get in the way. We aren't dodging this one."

After a few shouted commands at other crew members to switch to storm sails, the captain looks back at Izo and relents. "Go check your personal poo poo. Secure everything twice as well as you think you'll need, then assist with cargo."

Emy fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jun 11, 2018

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

Tansy Daggerdutch
HP: 24; Reserves: 8/8

Tansy peers into the darkening clouds, third-best hat clamped to her head with one hand (the best locked away belowdecks, and the second-best ruined in an unfortunate seasickness-related incident the first day aweigh,) as if receiving some esoteric wisdom from above, then whistles tunelessly. Sidling alongside Izo, she squints into the stiffening wind, feathers fluttering and charms tinkling as the Captain delivers her advice.
"We used to call these street-sweepers," she comments amiably. "Did a goodly effort cutting the stink of the place...so long as you weren't the one downstream, I s'pose."
Leaning in toward Izo, she mutters more quietly.
"Best make sure the tribute is secure," she offers, pitching her voice low. "Wouldn't do to come all this way just to end up in a prickly swamp-witch's stock pot! Speaking of which..." Tansy quickly scurries toward the galley to batten down any loose food stores.

Not that she has any intention of making the introduction; she's not even sure the old green-crone even exists. Still, when Night Mayor Buboe makes his displeasure with your continued existence so abundantly clear, making a change looks mighty good; even if that means grabbing a berth on the first ship to the Subcontinent courtesy of a youth's desperate quest and one slightly-poisoned ship's cook.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Adamant Fox
HP: 28/28 | Reserves: 8/8

Adamant Fox is perched high atop the crow's nest, balancing precariously on a single finger. She's been in this position since the day broke, ignoring all attempts from the ship's crew to convince her to meditate in a different spot, and generally seeking enlightenment as one of her order might be expected to. After all, it was the purpose of her journey to find enlightenment in the martial arts, to exceed the limits of her physical frame, and to forge boldly into new realms of skill. So far, her journey had been fruitful, but not to the point where she felt that she had achieved her aims. Perhaps an opportunity to do so would rest at their next port of call.

The growing mass of storm clouds, however, cause her to slowly open her eyes. Almost soundlessly, she dismounts the crow's nest and slides down the ship's rigging to the deck below. Padding across the deck, she steps up to the Captain and says, "I do not believe this storm is natural. The flow of the world's energy bends, almost to snapping, and I'd not recommend testing it."

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Marglar & Tunglua

Marglar sipped from a cup of water as he studied the maps & charts he had arrayed on his desk. He'd dragged the desk from his cabin and planted it on the deck so he could enjoy the cool crisp air of the sea as he worked. Though not a member of the crew, he'd grown acquainted with many of them over the course of the ship's journey as they maneuvered around his workspace; though they surely must've found it inconvenient to accommodate his presence, the crew were likely none too keen on trying to persuade this strange man's enormous dog (wolf?) to move.

"Ah, ain't this the life, Lua? A few weeks of sailing the seas, updating a few of these old charts, mapping out a couple islands...practically a paid vacation! Way better than those 3 months spent in the Cerulean Marsh. Should've just wrote, 'Big drat Swamp' on the paper and been done with it. The guild probably would've raised a fuss, though, haha."

"..."

"Hrm? Nah, if we were in the way, they'd have said something by now, surely."

"..."

"The horizon? What about the...horizon..."

Marglar looked up from his pile of papers to see the ominous black sky creeping toward their vessel. It was more than just the threat of a storm that made the pair uneasy; the way those dark clouds moved, Marglar could swear they weren't carried by the wind, but by something with intent...

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Captain Maria seems intent to stay the course (possibly due to deadlines and time constraints -- you can't be sure)

Everyone else: you might want to try one of these options (or something completely different):
  • persuade or dissuade the Captain in her decision
  • assess the storm
  • do a barrel roll
  • assist with getting other passengers below deck
  • stay on deck and assist with manning the ship, in some fashion

Let me know your preferred course of action; you can suggest a skill check that may apply to that action (and you're probably safe to roll it) but I may adjust your roll to a different skill, depending on the action taken. Feel free to ask first, if you're unsure.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Actually, gently caress it, a :cthulhu: attacks you, as the ship sails into the stormy waters.
You all brace yourselves, trying not to be thrown about as a giant kraken attacks the ship, wrapping its gigantic tentacles around the hull, and whatnot.

Initiative! (I decided to use your AGIL, except for Marglar cuz he rolled a thing)
19 : :rolldice: Captain Maria
16 : :rolldice: Fox, Tentacle* (x1)
15-13 : Tansy, Kraken (head), Tentacles (x4)
12-10 : Izo, Tentacles (x3)
09 : Marglar

P.d0t posted:

The Kraken is effectively a solo monster; let's start this off with a bang!

*one monster rolled doubles (2+2) :orks: I'm saying he has Advantage, so he gets a 16. But I'm letting you guys go ahead of anything you're tied with.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Adamant Fox

Adamant Fox blurs into action, unleashing a storm of fists and feet that batters the Kraken's head. She unleashes a pair of spearing strikes directly in the beast's beady eyes, then flips backward and gestures for the Kraken to bring it. She calls out to the others, "Don't forget about that storm! We'll need to finish this up quick."

Ki Roll: 2#1d4 3 2 (3 ki, 2 flurry attacks)
Iconic Attack - Flurry (expertise, reliable): 2#1d20 7 14 (miss - 7 damage from Reliable, hit)
Melee Basic Attack (expertise, reliable): 1d20 18 (hit)

Damage:2#1d4 4 4 (8 damage)

Tricky fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 14, 2018

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

Tansy Daggerdutch

Tansy is considering how best to abuse her mastery of spatial sorcery to avoid physical effort while stacking boxes when her world suddenly becomes a very angry seafood buffet. Throwing her prepared handful of iron filings and rabbit fur at the wall instead, she leaps into the crackling vortex that appears thereupon, appearing with a sharp report in the crow's nest.
"Frogsbollocks," she exclaims, reaching into her patchy robes and spraying a riffling fusillade of shadowy cards of purple energy at the attacking monster.

Initiative Action
Arcane Armor - +4 to Defense Rolls, negate damage up to 4 times.
Arcane Armor: 1d4 14 (expertise)

Move Action
Telekinetic Transposition to [teleport] to High Ground.

Minor Action
Basic Ranged: Fire a magic missile at Head. Hit! 7 Damage!
Magic Missile v Kraken Head: 1d20 19 2#1d4 3 3

Standard Action
Iconic Attack: Fire magic missiles at Head and the 4 Tentacles sharing my initative for 2 Damage.
Iconic Magic Missiles: 2#1d4 3 2

Bee Bonk fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 14, 2018

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
Captain Maria
HP: 32/32, Reserves: 12/12. Allies: Basic attacks are reliable. When you make a basic attack on your own turn, roll d12 with the attack roll; use if higher, crit on tie.

If Captain Maria gives any consideration to charging directly to the kraken's face, it's not obvious, because she does so immediately, vaulting over a rail and landing heavily on the lower deck near Fox. She swings the belaying pin in her hand wildly at its baleful eye.

Maria's Basic melee attack vs. Kraken (power attack): Attack (disadvantage): 19, 11. Damage: 7 (+19 power attack). Hit for 26 damage.

And her makeshift club strikes true. She hopes someone else can make use of the distraction.

"Izo! Put an arrow in its eye!"

(Inspiring Strike) Izo's Basic ranged attack vs. Kraken head (reliable, inspiring strike): 1d20 4 1d8 8. Miss for 4 damage.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
:cthulhu: The kraken bellows in pain, as a flurry of fists pummels it, and the captain's club bashes it between the eyes.
It's retaliation is swift...

Tentacles!: 6;1, 8;5, 7;2, 3;1, 1;3
:siren: Capt. Maria: make a Defense roll - if you fail, take 1 damage and you are Grappled
:siren: Capt. Maria: make a Defense roll - if you fail, take 5 damage and you are Grappled
:siren: Fox: make a Defense roll - if you fail, take 2 damage and you are Grappled
:siren: Fox: make a Defense roll - if you fail, take 1 damage and you are Grappled
:siren: Izo: make a Defense roll - if you fail, take 1 damage and you are Grappled (and pulled into the Maelstrom)

The Kraken lurches its head up, exposing its giant beak; it bites at Fox and Maria:
Bite!: 3 2 :flaccid:
:siren: Fox: make a Defense roll - if you fail, take 3 damage
:siren: Capt. Maria: make a Defense roll - if you fail, take 2 damage

:siren: Izo is up! :siren:
Initiative! (I decided to use your AGIL, except for Marglar cuz he rolled a thing)
19 : Captain Maria
16 : Fox, Tentacle* (x1)
15-13 : Tansy, Kraken-head, Tentacles (x4)
12-10 : :rolldice: Izo, Tentacles (x3)

Positioning
Open: Izo (for now), Marglar
Maelstrom: Fox (Grappled[T3]), Capt. Maria (Grappled[T2]), Kraken-head (bloodied), Tentacles (x8)
High Ground: Tansy

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 14, 2018

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
Captain Maria
HP: 27/32, Reserves: 12/12. Allies: Basic attacks are reliable. When you make a basic attack on your own turn, roll d12 with the attack roll; use if higher, crit on tie.

Defense rolls vs. Kraken grapple: 2#1d20 12 6.

One of the kraken's tentacles wraps around Maria. She's grappled and takes 5 damage

Emy fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 14, 2018

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Adamant Fox
HP: 28/28 | Reserves: 8/8 | Current Ki: 3->0 (2-effect)

Adamant Fox dances between swaying tentacles and pecking beaks, almost unscathed by the flurry of attacks, even landing a choice knife-hand strike to one tentacle that dares get a mite handsy. She is still a little bit tangled up in the mass of tentacles, if none the worse for wear, and looks a little exhilarated by the prospect of beating such an immense monster to death with her bare hands. Her body crackles with Ki for a brief instant, then a storm of ethereal fists batter every inch of the mighty sea-beast.

Defenses: 3#1d20+1d4 17 8 2 (with expertise: crit, miss [3 reduction from Stone Skin so no damage, but grappled], crit)
Opportunity Attacks: 1#1d20 1 1#2d20l1 8 2#1d4 4 4 (OA crits against Tentacle for 8 damage, misses Head)
On the second Tentacle's turn, Adamant Fox spends 3 Ki to make an Iconic Flurry, dealing 2 damage to all parts of the Kraken.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

Izo Dekarta

Izo is halfway there to going down to the hold to make sure all his cargo is tied down when the kraken appears. He barely dodges a swipe from a tentacle, but manages to draw his bow in time to take a shot at Maria’s order. Without time to aim, it only strikes a glancing blow.

Exhale, inhale. He focuses his vision on his quarry (Hunter’s Mark). Another arrow nocked, aimed where he guesses the brain to be. He releases it and the arrow strikes true.

Defense against Kraken tentacles: 1d20+1d8 25
Basic Attack on Kraken w/ Expertise: 1d20 12
Damage on Kraken's Head: 1d8 5

Kraken is Incapacitated as part of the Hunter's ambush feature. Immobilized, no Off-Turn actions and Disadvantage on defense rolls. Attacks against it gain Expertise.

Rent-a-Bot fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 15, 2018

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
:cthulhu: The kraken howls again, the head of the giant beast slinking back into the sea. Its grasping tentacles remain a threat, however.
The kraken head is Dropped, so it is no longer a combatant (and no this does not provoke OAs, it's just flavour text.)

One of the tentacles begins to slither up the mast, attempting to climb its way to the crow's nest.
Climb (STR): 7 (failed)

The remaining two whip around and try to grab Izo and Marglar:
Grapple: 3 10
:siren: Izo: make a Defense roll - if you fail, take 3 damage and you are Grappled (and pulled into the Maelstrom)

Grapple: 5 6
:siren: Marglar: make a Defense roll - if you fail, take 5 damage and you are Grappled (and pulled into the Maelstrom)

after which...
:siren: Marglar and Capt. Maria and Fox are up! :siren:
16 : :rolldice: Fox, Tentacle* (x1)
15-13 : Tansy, Kraken-head, Tentacles (x4)
09 : :rolldice: Marglar

Positioning
Open: Izo (for now), Marglar (for now)
Maelstrom: Fox (Grappled[T3]), Capt. Maria (Grappled[T2]), Tentacles (x8)

Dropped Kraken-head

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Adamant Fox
HP: 28/28 | Reserves: 8/8 | Current Ki: 2->1 (4-effect)

Adamant Fox erupts with inner strength, her fists burning like the sun with the sheer intensity of the Ki collecting upon them. She lets out a quick series of strikes against the tentacle grabbing at her, the rubbery flesh sizzling as blow after blow rocks it. Slipping loose as the Kraken recoils from the pain, she blitzes from one tentacle to the next and unleashes an unstoppable combination of attacks before balancing, almost contemptuously, atop the tentacle that had once encoiled her.

Start of Turn: Ki Roll: 2#1d4 2 2 4
Minor Action - Iconic: Iconic Attack - Flurry (expertise, reliable): 4#1d20 11 10 3 5 4#1d4 3 2 2 1 (hit, hit, miss, miss - 13 damage to T3. 5 if Reliable was changed to not work with flurry.)
Standard Action - Iconic: All tentacles take 4 more damage.
Move Action - End of Turn: Escape (trained, expertise): 1d20+1d6 17 (choosing not to Shift, but escaping the grapple)

At the start of the next Tentacle's turn, spending 1-ki to Defend and take Advantage on defense rolls until my next turn.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Tentacles #2 and #3 are now Bloodied

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Marglar quickly ducks behind his upturned desk, evading the grasp of the Kraken's flailing appendage. Hearing the beast's anguished cry, he peeks over the top of his makeshift barricade, and on seeing the Kraken fall limp, smiles.

"Oh, Lua...we are gonna eat good tonight!"

As if in agreement, Tunglua let out a howl, and the already large wolf grew so massive it could easily be mistaken for a bear. She threw herself into what was left of the wriggling mass with fang & claw, while Marglar fired off an arrow in its general direction before attempting to conceal himself behind the desk.

Actions:
Minor: Animal Companion (Strength of the Dire Bear) - Tunglua is summoned in the Open with 4 HP.
Standard: Ranged Basic Attack (Power Attack) vs Tentacle #2 - Miss!, 9 damage from Reliable (5 from the d20, 4 from the d8 added to the attack roll by Beastmaster feature.
Move: Hide (Skirmishing Survivalist) - Fail!

Tunglua's Actions:
Standard: Melee Basic Attack vs Tentacle #2 - Miss!
Move: Defend

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
Captain Maria
HP: 27/32, Reserves: 11/12. Allies: Basic attacks are reliable. Off-turn action: when you make a basic attack, roll d12 with the attack roll; use if higher, crit on tie.

Move: Reverse a grapple (Brawl w/ training+expertise): Failed!
Standard: melee basic attack vs. T2 (power attack, expertise, reliable): Miss! No damage.

Maria's belaying pin clatters to the deck as she tries to maneuver into a position where she can properly draw her sword, but the constricting tentacle holds firm. She manages to get at her utility knife instead, but she can't move well enough to cut with that either.

"Get this drat thing off me!"

Forgoing damage on the reliable basic to direct all allies to make basic attacks against Tentacle 2, with my role feature. Spent 1 reserves.

(Commander) Marglar basic ranged attack vs. T2: Miss! 8 damage from reliable.
(Commander) Izo basic ranged attack vs. T2: Miss! 1 damage from reliable.
(Commander) Adamant Fox basic melee attack vs. T2: Miss! 3 damage from reliable.
(Commander) Tansy basic ranged attack vs. T2: Mi— wait! Tansy has high ground, for advantage. Hit! 7 damage.

A wide array of blows descend on the tentacle holding Maria—an elbow strike from Fox, magic missiles from Tansy, and arrows from the two archers—with two striking deeply and the other two glancing off.

Emy fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 16, 2018

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
And with that, the tentacle wrapped around Capt. Maria falls limp and splashes back into the ocean. (Capt. Maria is no longer grappled)

Defense (Izo): 17
Izo manages to avoid one of the flailing tentacles.

:cthulhu:

Another tentacle grasps at Marglar:
Grapple: 4 9
:siren: Marglar: make a Defense roll - if you fail, take 4 damage and you are Grappled (and pulled into the Maelstrom)

after which...
:siren: Tansy is up! :siren:
Initiative!
15-13 : :rolldice: Tansy, Tentacles (x3)

Positioning
Open: Izo, Marglar*
Maelstrom: Fox, Capt. Maria, Tentacles (x7)

Dropped Kraken-head, Tentacles (x1)

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 19, 2018

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Marglar nimbly vaults back & forth over the desk, evading the menacing tentacle's grasp.

Defense: 17

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

Tansy Daggerdutch

Charging a card with shadowy violet flame, Tansy flings it with lethal accuracy into one of the flailing tentacles below, the projectile slicing deep into the creature's rubbery flesh before detonating in a mystic pulse.

Minor Action
Basic Ranged: Fire a magic missile at Tentacle 3. Critical hit for 15 damage!
Magic Missile v Tentacle: 1d20 20 2#1d4 3 4

Flush with confidence, the witch looks down at Marglar's evasive form, and almost lazily sweeps a hand through the air in a fan of arcane tracers, before snapping it closed into a fist and gesturing at the crow's nest beside her.

Move Action
Telekinetic Transposition (minor) to Teleport Marglar to High Ground!

"Butts," she suddenly quacks in alarm, as not only the ranger, but the desk she sheltered behind, are transported in a whirl of frigid mist, sending Tansy diving to the side to avoid being clobbered by errant furniture. She narrowly avoids plummeting to the deck, snagging an armful of rigging to steady herself before flinging another mystic fusillade down at the mass of krakenry, but some of the wind has been taken from her sails by the incident; she is blushing furiously, and her attacks are somewhat less than stellar.

Standard Action
Iconic Attack: Fire magic missiles at Tentacles 1, 3, 4, 5, and 6 for 1 Damage.
Iconic Magic Missiles: 2#1d4 2 2
Rerolling tied Double Roll: Iconic Magic Missiles (Reroll): 2#1d4 1 1 :v:

Bee Bonk fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 19, 2018

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Another tentacle is downed, this time by Tansy's magic missiles.

Thrashing in desperation, the tentacles start making all-out attacks!
(in other words, the DM wants to see how much damage they can deal before you kill it. :v: Since Tansy and Marglar have high ground, they will target Maria, Fox, and Izo)
Tentacle Whip (x3): 3;8, 1;10, 5;3
:siren: Maria: make a Defense roll - if you fail, take 8 damage
Fox: make a Defense roll - if you fail, take 10 damage (success)
:siren: Izo: make a Defense roll - if you fail, take 5 damage (and pulled into the Maelstrom)

after which...
Initiative!
15-13 :Tansy, Tentacles (x3)
12-10 : :rolldice: Izo, Tentacles (x2)

Positioning
Open: Izo
Maelstrom: Fox, Capt. Maria, Tunglua (pet), Tentacles (x6)
High Ground: Tansy, Marglar

Dropped Kraken-head, Tentacles (x2)

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 21, 2018

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
Captain Maria
HP: 27/32, Reserves: 11/12. Allies: Basic attacks are reliable. Off-turn action: when you make a basic attack, roll d12 with the attack roll; use if higher, crit on tie.

Defense roll vs. Kraken tentacle: Success! No damage.

No longer restrained, Maria dives away from the wildly thrashing tentacle, and it catches nothing but air.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

Izo Dekarta

Izo dodges another strike and nocks two arrows in quick succession, “Shoot the head, but the body still attacks, what sense does that make?” Izo grumbles to himself as he shoots two of the still-squirming tentacles.

Hunter’s mark on one tentacle, and then Twin Strike on the two tentacles in the same initiative as Izo.

Twin Strike w/ Hunter's Mark: 2#1d20 6 10 Barely succeed with a 10, damage is…

Twin Strike Damage on Tentacles: 2#1d8 5 3 ...5 and 3 damage respectively on the tentacles.

Yet another defense roll against hentai: 1d20 17

Rent-a-Bot fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 21, 2018

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
More thrashing and sweeping of limbs, as the kraken continues its assault.

Tentacle Whip (x2): 7;6, 5;2
:siren: Maria: make a Defense roll - if you fail, take 7 damage
:siren: Tunglua: make a Defense roll - if you fail, take 5 damage

after which...
:siren: Marglar, Maria, and Fox are up! :siren:
Initiative!
16 : :rolldice: Fox, Tentacle (x1)
15-13 :Tansy, Tentacles (x3)
12-10 : Izo, Tentacles (x2) [hunter's mark]

Positioning
Open: Izo
Maelstrom: Fox, Capt. Maria, Tunglua (pet), Tentacles (x6)
High Ground: Tansy, Marglar

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Adamant Fox
HP: 28/28 | Reserves: 8/8 | Current Ki: 4->3->0 (3-effect)

Defense (advantage, expertise): 2d20k1+1d4 18

Adamant Fox nimbly dances out of the way of the enraged tentacle, the deck of the ship creaking and splintering under the mighty assault. She lets out a mighty kiai as energy floods through her body. Once more blurring through the scrum, each Tentacle finds itself rocked by a series of phantasmal blows. The Tentacle that is showing the signs of starting to falter also receives a quick flurry of punches and kicks from the young monk.

Start of Turn: Ki Roll: 2#1d4 4 3 (4-ki, 3-effect)
Minor Action - Iconic: Iconic Attack - Flurry (expertise, reliable): 3#1d20 15 6 20 3#1d4 4 4 1 (Hit - 4 damage, Miss - 6 damage, Crit - 8 damage; targeting Tentacle #7)
Standard Action - Iconic: All tentacles take 3 more damage.
Move Action: N/A.

At the start of the next Tentacle's turn, spending 1-ki to Defend and take Advantage on defense rolls until my next turn. At the start of Tansy's turn, spending 3-ki to deal 3 damage to all remaining Tentacles.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Tentacle #7 is now Dropped; all the remaining tentacles are (about equally) Bloodied

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
Captain Maria
HP: 20/32, Reserves: 11/12. Allies: Basic attacks are reliable. Off-turn action: when you make a basic attack, roll d12 with the attack roll; use if higher, crit on tie.

Defense roll vs. Kraken tentacle: Fail! Maria takes 7 damage.

Standard: melee basic attack vs. a tentacle (power attack, expertise, reliable): Miss! No damage. Forgoing the damage to apply the effect of immobilizing strike to the tentacle. Tentacle is now Immobilized.

The tentacle continues to bat Maria around the deck of the ship, so she casts about for a way to stop its wild flailing. Clambering over to a sheet, she looses the line. The wind catches the mainsail and swings the boom like a giant's club. This dying kraken's tentacle isn't caught well by the strike, but Maria manages to secure the line again, pinning the tentacle between a rail and the boom.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Marglar peeked over the desk once again to find himself and the desk precariously perched atop the crow's nest. He manages to momentarily suppress his confusion and fire off an arrow that very nearly hits a tentacle before veering off into the ocean. Marglar then tries (and fails) to hide his embarrassment.

Tunglua snaps her jaws at another tentacle in an attempt to defend her master's honor, but instead ends up with only a mouthful of the ship's rail.

Actions -
Standard (Marlgar RBA): Miss! (7 damage from Reliable.)
Move (Stealth check to Hide): Fail!

Lua's Standard (MBA): Miss!
Lua's Move: Defend

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Tunglua (aka Lua) fails to defend against the tentacle, and blinks out of existence, from 5 damage.

Tentacle @ initiative 16 is Immobilized; it's going to whip Fox; :rolldice: to defend or take damage: 5 8

:siren:Tansy is up!

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

Tansy Daggerdutch

Long hours of practice hucking cards at crabrats in seedy dives had clearly paid off; setting her sights on a tentacle that was looking just a little too sprightly, Tansy sent another flickering projectile humming toward its target.

Minor Action
Basic Ranged: Fire a magic missile at healthiest Tentacle for 4 damage.

Kissing her fingers, Tansy then looked down at her "benefactor" with mild concern as he loosed arrows and dodged blows.
"Izo-lad," she shouted over the wind, "hold your breath for a second," before banishing Izo to frigid eternal night with an intricate gesture and returning him half a blink later, several yards up in the rigging.

Move Action
Telekinetic Transposition (minor) to Teleport Izo to High Ground

Rubbing her hands together to dispel the chill, Tansy then reached into her garments and began a deadly game of 52-pickup, a shower of deadly missiles cascading down among the remaining tentacles.

Standard Action
Iconic Attack: Fire Magic Missiles at all Tentacles for 3 damage.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Adamant Fox
HP: 28/28 | Reserves: 8/8 | Current Ki: 0 (3-effect)

The tentacle's mighty strike finds nothing but air and the wood of the ship's deck as Adamant Fox continues harrying the remaining appendages.

Defense (advantage, expertise): 2d20k1+1d4 15 (success)

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
(Decided to just roll and see what options that gave me)

Monster Roll (x3): 6;1 4;8 1;4
So since the Kraken gets Expertise on STR checks, the 1st and 3rd rolls would be a success, to either Climb or Grapple. So I'll do one of each.

:siren: Maria: make a Defense roll - if you fail, take 8 damage
:siren: Fox: you are grappled but take no damage.
:siren: the 3rd Tentacle reaches High Ground, as it climbs the mast, up to the crow's nest (but is not yet Adjacent to anyone else up there)

after which...
Initiative!
16 : Fox, Tentacle (x1)
15-13 : Tansy, Tentacles (x3)
12-10 : :rolldice: Izo, Tentacles (x2) [hunter's mark]

Positioning
Maelstrom: Fox (grappled [T4]), Capt. Maria, Tentacles (x5)
High Ground: Tansy, Marglar, Izo, Tentacles (x1)

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

Izo Dekarta

"Honestly, how much more punishment is this thing go- wait what did you say-" Izo is cut off as he blinks out of existence, lucky that his mouth happened to be closed at the moment Tansy activated the spell. He almost loses his footing on the higher ground when he pops back into this plane of existence.

“Gah! What was- how did you- gaaahh whatever!” With that, he takes another pair of arrows, this time focusing on one tentacle as he’s too frustrated to keep track of two.

Aiming at one of the remaining tentacles.

Rolling to hit w/ Twin Strike on Single Tentacle: 2#1d20 18 8
Twin Strike, One Tentacle: 2d8 12

Hits for 12 damage.

Rent-a-Bot fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 4, 2018

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
Captain Maria
HP: 20/32, Reserves: 11/12. Allies: Basic attacks are reliable. Off-turn action: when you make a basic attack, roll d12 with the attack roll; use if higher, crit on tie.

Defense roll vs. Kraken tentacle: Success! Maria takes no damage.

Maria leaps back from another tentacle that's still swinging.

"Keep your guard up! The bastard's already dead, but its legs haven't figured that out."

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Izo manages to finish off one of the tentacles.

Another tentacle whips at Maria: Defense: 9, Damage: 1;1 :flaccid:

:siren: Maria takes 1 pt of damage

Since this tentacle is marked by Izo, he gets to target it with a basic attack: 20 (CRIT) :siren: 2+8 (crit) = 10
Which is enough damage to finish that one off, as well.

:siren: Marglar, Maria, and Fox are up! :siren:
Initiative!
16 : :rolldice: Fox, Tentacle (x1)
15-13 : Tansy, Tentacles (x2) (one @ High Ground)
12-10 : Izo

Positioning
Maelstrom: Fox (grappled [T4]), Capt. Maria, Tentacles (x2)
High Ground: Tansy, Marglar, Izo, Tentacles (x1)

Dropped Kraken-head, Tentacles (x4)

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 2, 2018

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Adamant Fox
HP: 28/28 | Reserves: 8/8 | Current Ki: 1 -> 0 (4-effect)

Adamant Fox, once more, finds herself the target of a tentacle's rampant disregard for her personal space. The subsequent display of her displeasure, a veritable tornado of fists and feet, provides ample opportunity to step out of her weird, fleshy cage.

Start of Turn: Ki Roll: 2#1d4 1 1
Minor Action - Iconic: Iconic Attack - Flurry (expertise, reliable): 4#1d20 15 2 11 2 4#1d4 4 1 3 3 (A total of 11 damage to Tentacle 4.)
Standard Action - Iconic: All Tentacles in the maelstrom take 4 damage.
Move Action: Escape (trained, expertise): 1d20+1d6 15 (Success - Not grappled, no shift.)
Off-Turn Action: Spending 1 ki at the start of the next Tentacle's turn to Defend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
Captain Maria
HP: 19/32, Reserves: 11/12. Allies: Basic attacks are reliable. Off-turn action: when you make a basic attack, roll d12 with the attack roll; use if higher, crit on tie.

Maria at last draws her sword, and tries to slap the tentacle that just hit her back, but with a bit more bite.

Standard: melee basic attack vs. a tentacle (power attack, expertise, reliable): Hit! 8 + 17 (power attack) = 25 damage to the tentacle. If the tentacle lives, the next damage roll against it will be replaced with a 19 from Maria's Warlord's Tactics feature.

"Izo! More supporting fire!" shouts Maria.

Izo looses an arrow, and it strikes true, but not to great effect. The thrashing limbs are beyond pain, and an arrow in an unimportant part of the beast's great flesh is of little consequence.

(Inspiring Strike) Izo's ranged basic attack vs. a lower level tentacle (high ground): Hit! 1 damage.

Emy fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 1, 2018

• Locked thread