Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Have any of the hands on reviewers talked about stealth takedowns? Wondering if takedown animations are in or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Unarmed takedowns fade out into an animation like Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Unlike DX: HR that animation is a 10-12 minute cutscene exploring the victim's life story and history of intersectional oppression under a racist and classist capitalist system.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

fennesz posted:

Some idiot was like "hey lets rehash that racist chat from a few pages ago"

it was me, sorry :negative:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s funny watching goons post like they eat cereal with a fork in 15 different threads and then you catch them in one random thread demonstrating their field of mastery or historical knowledge and you remember every poster is person behind all their gimmicks.

Those history posts were cool.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
there are definitely canned takedown animations in the game but we haven't really seen much about when and how they trigger

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

We've certainly seen some canned melee animations in trailers - the newest one has that clip of you ripping a dude's guts out. It seems like they won't break first person though, so no hard perspective cuts like in DE:HR. One thing the previewers have consistently said is that the game strenuously avoids breaking continuity of the player perspective.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Unarmed takedowns fade out into an animation like Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Unlike DX: HR that animation is a 10-12 minute cutscene exploring the victim's life story and history of intersectional oppression under a racist and classist capitalist system.

I unironically want this to be true

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Fray posted:

We've certainly seen some canned melee animations in trailers - the newest one has that clip of you ripping a dude's guts out. It seems like they won't break first person though, so no hard perspective cuts like in DE:HR. One thing the previewers have consistently said is that the game strenuously avoids breaking continuity of the player perspective.

That’s reassuring!

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Fray posted:

One thing the previewers have consistently said is that the game strenuously avoids breaking continuity of the player perspective.

This is the best news.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Arglebargle III posted:

My favorite GM tactic.

I kill the guard.

Jfc. Alright.

What's he got on him.

Eh, he's we wearing a gold band. In his wallet are a bunch of credit cards, a picture of an adult woman and a young boy taken two years ago. Two train tickets for Anaheim for tomorrow. A movie ticket stubb from nine years ago and another one from a re-release three years ago. A folded up obituary for a 31 year old mother of one survived by her husband and seven year old son.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Apparently the game only has a handful of cutscenes, so them not breaking first-person pov tracks.

Arglebargle III posted:

piL posted:

My favorite GM tactic.

I kill the guard.

Jfc. Alright.

What's he got on him.

Eh, he's we wearing a gold band. In his wallet are a bunch of credit cards, a picture of an adult woman and a young boy taken two years ago. Two train tickets for Anaheim for tomorrow. A movie ticket stubb from nine years ago and another one from a re-release three years ago. A folded up obituary for a 31 year old mother of one survived by her husband and seven year old son.

:stonklol:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Just like Red Dead Redemption 2, most men drop gold wedding bands. :toot:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

If he didn't want me to take his wedding ring his face wouldn't have been where my bullet was going :colbert:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Arglebargle III posted:

I like how you can sell off you and your spouse's wedding rings in FO4 for some quick cash early on.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Thought my first character was gonna be Molly but actually it's going to be off brand corpo JC Denton who becomes an anti-corporate resistance fighter. If there aren't sunglasses in this game it's going straight into the trash.

"My vision's been enhanced, shithead."

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Thought my first character was gonna be Molly but actually it's going to be off brand corpo JC Denton who becomes an anti-corporate resistance fighter. If there aren't sunglasses in this game it's going straight into the trash.

"My vision's been enhanced, shithead."

Excellent character choice, sir. Have you considered just being a corporate douchebag? I'm remaking Rufus from FF7.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Glenn Quebec posted:

Excellent character choice, sir. Have you considered just being a corporate douchebag? I'm remaking Rufus from FF7.

I'll be honest it is legitimately physically difficult for me to be Bad in videogames. I have to be a turbo goodie two shoes. I'm gonna be the Second Coming if the game lets me or not. Kreia can whine about giving homeless people credits all she wants, I'm gonna do it. UNATCO troops can berate me for my non-lethal tactics. I'm gonna do it. Don't like me helping people across the galaxy? Get the hell off the Normandy. Only Low Chaos endings for me in my Dishonored games (I loving hate morality systems in games lol).

That does not mean, however, that I will not arm myself with a cat-o-nine-tails and drive some mother fuckers outta the temple with extreme prejudice.

Making Rufus from FF7 is mad genius though. :allears:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'll be honest it is legitimately physically difficult for me to be Bad in videogames. I have to be a turbo goodie two shoes. I'm gonna be the Second Coming if the game lets me or not. Kreia can whine about giving homeless people credits all she wants, I'm gonna do it. UNATCO troops can berate me for my non-lethal tactics. I'm gonna do it. Don't like me helping people across the galaxy? Get the hell off the Normandy. Only Low Chaos endings for me in my Dishonored games (I loving hate morality systems in games lol).

That does not mean, however, that I will not arm myself with a cat-o-nine-tails and drive some mother fuckers outta the temple with extreme prejudice.

Honestly, same. Reflective of my own moral compass, perhaps, but If I'm given a lot of power I wanna do good with it. Sure, if someone is a completely unrepentant poo poo I MIGHT indulge my berserker impulse a bit, but gently caress you if you think I'm making unnecessary sacrifices for a bit more loot.

This is usually to my own detriment in games where it's not designed that way. Playing through most of halo 2 while making drat sure I was good enough to pull every allied npc through the section they were in. (Assuming of course they aren't cutscene murdered.) Culminated in one scene in halo 3 where you first fight the flood. The first npcs are meant to die because a literal swarm of infectors drop on top of them with about two dozen infected. I somehow managed to make the entire group live with an insane combination of pre-firing at their spawning points and liberal use of all my grenades. Of course, they never followed me and probably died off screen, but hey. I did my part.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Glenn Quebec posted:

What’s the point of playing Rufus without the dog?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Open Marriage Night posted:

To find the dog by any means necessary

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I get that too. Picking the Dark Side ending option in KOTOR was kinda hard and I'd been playing Light Side up to that point.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Also dehumanize yourself and face the character you make. Playing a horrible bad person in a video game that lets you is so cathartic and amazing, I highly recommend it. I got some stupid mission in Walking Dead Saints and Sinners about "wah wah bring back my wedding ring and I'll give you a safe combo." Or I put an axe in your forehead and take the codes ---- bypassing a whole slew of annoying poo poo.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Cyberpunk "7 different penis options but no 3rd person option" 2077

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Also dehumanize yourself and face the character you make. Playing a horrible bad person in a video game that lets you is so cathartic and amazing, I highly recommend it. I got some stupid mission in Walking Dead Saints and Sinners about "wah wah bring back my wedding ring and I'll give you a safe combo." Or I put an axe in your forehead and take the codes ---- bypassing a whole slew of annoying poo poo.

No I don't want to.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

vandalism posted:

Cyberpunk "7 different penis options but no 3rd person option" 2077

selfie sticks are NOT cyberpunk

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I never got any catharsis from evil runs of gamesWay more cathartic to actually solve everyone's problems neatly and perfectly, something I can never do IRL. Whereas I can pretty much always choose to be more evil and selfish.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The problem is that 'evil paths' in video games are typically written as being a sociopath who is evil for no reason whatsoever and is typically antagonising people they need to instrumentalise to proceed down the plot.

The games that do it right (Mass Effect, Alpha Protocol, The Witcher) work within the boundaries of accepting that the protagonist is the hero of their own story and make the writing about 'do you go out of your way to help others, or do you just want to get your thing done.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Open Marriage Night posted:

Will this game have pets? Will I be able to set their pronouns?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm interested in the locales we'll see outside Night City. Blade Runner 2049 simply didn't repeat the first movie because it wasn't always night and it wasn't entirely set in Los Angeles. There was life crawling out of foggy scrap-heaps, what passes for a farm exists in a bleached-white waste, and what remains of Las Vegas exist in a red haze.

The future was absolutely terrible but at least the photography was nice.

It was gorgeous. Honestly one of a few films I own on physical media.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Glenn Quebec posted:

No!!!! My power fantasy comes from being able to solve problems and help people in ways I can't in real life!!!!

:negative:

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

No!!!! My power fantasy comes from being able to solve problems and help people in ways I can't in real life!!!!

:negative:

:same:

Doing the bad ending for Sekiro felt awful enough.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

El_Elegante posted:

It was gorgeous. Honestly one of a few films I own on physical media.

It impossibly was not a let down.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

gently caress SNEEP posted:

selfie sticks are NOT cyberpunk

the 8th dick option is a selfie stick

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Arglebargle III posted:

preorder uncancelled

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I like how you can sell off you and your spouse's wedding rings in FO4 for some quick cash early on.

in FO2 you could sell your spouse. :colbert:

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

preorder uncancelled

in FO2 you could sell your spouse. :colbert:

Pickpocket me, will you?
*adjusts dynamite timer*

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alchenar posted:

The games that do it right (Mass Effect, Alpha Protocol, The Witcher) work within the boundaries of accepting that the protagonist is the hero of their own story and make the writing about 'do you go out of your way to help others, or do you just want to get your thing done.

Witcher 3 felt like it had a good balance of 'both options suck but this one I'm picking I've talked myself into living with.'

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Eyeglasses, especially transition lenses, are cybernetic and thus cyberpunk imo

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yer a cyberpunk, Harry.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Yer a cyberpunk, Harry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Video game morality systems have always failed because the easy options are always the evil options so the gameplay is usually more rewarding if you’re good but then the Evil powers are almost always cooler than light side powers.

I have never picked good or evil based on RP, it has always exclusively been about which powers or items you get rewarded with. If a game has a morality system, they should keep it 100% behind the scenes.