Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The GUNPLAY of Titanfall 2

honestly why doesn't every fps just do this

it's a solved problem, people!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Khanstant posted:

I can't help but get this feeling we're just going to get FPS GTA

Do you play a lot of games? 2019’s terminator game has more in common with this than GTA does.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The REACTIVE DIALOGUE SYSTEM of Disco Elysium

Can’t wait for the augments to argue with each other.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

honestly why doesn't every fps just do this

it's a solved problem, people!

Apex is the only good battle royals for this reason.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

El_Elegante posted:

Do you play a lot of games? 2019’s terminator game has more in common with this than GTA does.

I do play a lot of games but obviously I haven't played Cyberpunk 2k77 yet.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Khanstant posted:

This is a weird analogy because fighting dragons in Skyrim sucked. I'm not sure the devs even got dragons working properly before shipping it out. Skyrim doesn't even have a Z axis, it's basically a mode7 game.

is this true because it would make my horse aggro'ing and defeating dragons make more sense

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Skyrim was too easy to be fun, I think that was my ultimate issue. Everything is broken in a very binary way. You kill everything in one stealth attack or stun lock everything by 2-hand casting it or you shout it off a cliff and nothing is ever difficult in any way.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

is this true because it would make my horse aggro'ing and defeating dragons make more sense

I think it's probably an oversimplification, but yeah. Like, I remember in New Vegas they had to use a weird trick of making the monorail train model by attached to a human body(which was hidden from view), because there wasn't a normal way in engine to "elevate" an object that high off the ground. They seemed to have to remove something in the transition from Morrowind to Oblivion. Morrowind you could jump and fly and there were things hidden with verticality in mind. They claimed they removed fun movement options for the sake of making their lovely cities larger, but without actually fitting them on the world map seamlessly. In order to give us a worse experience of instanced cities, they also had to sacrifice the fun and advancement of movement and jumping/flying/etc in the game.

Even the verticality using the Power Suit, with cheats, in Fallout 4 felt very suspicious and there were limitations to it that existed outside of it's intended fuel/hang-time, etc. It just shunts you down like the engine doesn't know wtf else to do.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Khanstant posted:

I think it will probably be a decent video game

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

We've all played awful video games for years, what's one more?

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Drop in the bucket

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

sebmojo posted:

It’s the story and setting I’m more concerned about yea. It could easily end up learning too much into the gritty without the heart from witcher, if that makes sense.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Have a bunch of YT writers working on Witcher 3 and it's unanimously a masterpiece but have a black writer work on the game with the same team and it's suddenly "I'm really concerned about setting and plot."

Typical.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Khanstant posted:

What does the game being like GTA mean to you?

GTA leaned heavily on driving and simple third person shooting. There doesn't seem to be much reason to think there will be an abundance of driving gameplay, so what do you mean? Literally any game with drivable cars is GTA but different?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Yeah, people (not generally in this thread) keep making that comparison and I don't understand it. Deus Ex: MD with tacked on driving seems more apt.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

tanglewood1420 posted:

Yeah, people (not generally in this thread) keep making that comparison and I don't understand it. Deus Ex: MD with tacked on driving seems more apt.

I guess what story we know about the first fixer we deal with follows pretty closely the GTA story formula of 'working for a guy, having a good thing going, then getting betrayed out of nowhere,' and then the formula repeating. Maybe people are anxious that the story's going to be that formulaic?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

if it wanted to follow closely to gta formula, youd first have to drive for 15 minutes to the mission marker where you listen to one-dimensional characters talk about nothing of value for 5 minutes, then drive 15 more minutes to the opposite side of the map where you shoot like 5 dudes before having 5 more minutes of one-dimensional characters talking about nothing, and then you get the obligatory heat and/or other classic heist movie scene, then youd get betrayed out of nowhere

all the while you, the player, are wondering what youre doing with your life

so we have a 50/50 shot since the recent gameplay segments didnt really inspire confidence imo

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Jack Trades posted:

Have a bunch of YT writers working on Witcher 3 and it's unanimously a masterpiece but have a black writer work on the game with the same team and it's suddenly "I'm really concerned about setting and plot."

Typical.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If I'm being sincere I don't need this game to do anything besides be flashy aesthetically and clever. If the powers work and are fun to use I'm gonna put 400 hours into it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zikan posted:

Disco Elysian has the one of the best written and edited scripts in all of video game history. It has faith in its systems, it will often roll checks for incidental dialogue from your thoughts and not even inform you of some if you fail and drawing a wrong thought or conclusion wouldn’t make sense with a lack of knowledge, skill, or interest. This allows every play through to truly feel unique as long as you choose different skills.

It also takes the daring move of having your skill checks not be "I win if this is high enough" buttons. Because they're all aspects of your brain and personality, they will gladly direct you toward wrong or dangerous choices because they personally want that to be what happens. Got your Physical Instrument skill up really high so you can bash down doors? Great! Now it'll tell you that might makes right and you need to just punch people if they don't do what you want! It'll even gladly give you skill checks to do that whether or not it's the appropriate response!

Lexorin posted:

I don't mind skill gates. The issue is when devs insist on showing you what you could have said had your skill been higher. Don't show me that poo poo, if I don't have 10 point in intimation then don't show me the "Gimmie your stuff or beatings! (Intimidation 10)" dialogue option. That just triggers FOMO and it's a lovely thing to do. Additionally, leaving it out allows you some surprise in future playthroughs with different skills.

And the great part is New Vegas doesn't do that! It gives you alternate dialogue if your skill is too low so you can pick it anyway and say something funny and dumb.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bust Rodd posted:

If I'm being sincere I don't need this game to do anything besides be flashy aesthetically and clever. If the powers work and are fun to use I'm gonna put 400 hours into it.

Yeah. I’m gonna check out Cloudpunk for a low-rent fix if I get too impatient for the aesthetic.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

New screenshot

Living a few hundred meters away from that industrial area has to suck. Then again that's your dystopic future for you!
The brutalist mega buildings are cool.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
How are they handling buildings of that style? Can you just enter all of them and go to each floor? Somehow I doubt this immensely???

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
i imagine it'll be like most games where most buildings are little more than a facade with a few having interiors limited to a couple of floors

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Pretty sure they've said that buildings are not 100% navigable. Some of the game footage we've seen does show some drat big interiors though.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The buildings are gonna be like the people. Full of the architectural equivalent of dirtgirls & corporate rats. Not every closet and random apartment is gonna be worth busting into even if you could just barge in.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

sebmojo posted:

I'll wait for release to see how indecent they get or not.

Chalks posted:

What does the game being like GTA mean to you?

GTA leaned heavily on driving and simple third person shooting. There doesn't seem to be much reason to think there will be an abundance of driving gameplay, so what do you mean? Literally any game with drivable cars is GTA but different?

Looking at the map and preview videos, have good cause to think there will be much driving in the game. GTA to me is a game of driving around to places to do violence, mash through horribly animated dialogue, and be told somewhere else to go for the next batch of violence. AFAIK there's not generally any other way around GTA quests, you're expected to murder a bunch of folks to progress.

tanglewood1420 posted:

Deus Ex: MD with cars would almost be as cool as Deus Ex: MD with no cars, so that would be ideal and is certainly more along the lines of gameplay I'd enjoy. Apparently at some point they caved and added ability to get through content non-lethally, but it seems pretty clear from their statements it was never an original or core design consideration for them and that they intend for players to play through murder-spree style.

Glenn Quebec posted:

How are they handling buildings of that style? Can you just enter all of them and go to each floor? Somehow I doubt this immensely???

I wonder what game building has the record for most hand-crafted rooms. If I ever got Chris Roberts-tier scam money to make an impossible, poorly-managed, aimless videogame one of my core goals will be to make sure every room of every building is explorable. Instead of selling spaceship jpegs, I will sell real estate in the game and virtual spaceship jpeg posters to decorate those rooms with. The best part is, everything is lootable in the game, so even before we start working on combat systems, you'll be able to have exciting gameplay robbing random apartments.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Turin Turambar posted:

New screenshot

Living a few hundred meters away from that industrial area has to suck. Then again that's your dystopic future for you!

pretty sure this is just bakersfield today

preorder CANCELLED

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

When you cancel your preorder of the game, you cancel it in real life.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Pretty sure Witcher 3 was similar but you just drove around on Roach.

Also I think a lot of people think open world = GTA

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Really, Skyrim is just medieval GTA because it has horses.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the_enduser posted:

People probably associate Witcher 3 with lots of fast travel where GTA actually encourages you to do lots of driving. Yes you can take a taxi and hit skip, but then you can't go 100mph+ and weave through traffic!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

the_enduser posted:

The difference though is that navigating through a forest on a horse is a pain in the rear end.

Taking detours and weaving through traffic at speed in GTA is fun.

Horseback travel was a pain in the rear end in TW3, I started playing AC:Odyssey since the steam sale and it sucks there too, and it sucked in RDR2.

Just like Titanfall has good gun play and Fallout has bad gun play, some games do travel well and others don't.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

As long as I can climb on rooftops and enter through windows I'll be happy.

Edit: I'm Adam Jensen and I never use my front door.

Turin Turambar posted:

New screenshot

Or dystopic present depending on where you live.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Is it just me or do the textures in that screenshot look weirdly 'flat' and featureless to anyone else? Or maybe that area wasn't designed to be looked at from above? At the very least I can respect them for releasing a real in-engine screenshot that doesn't have doctored LODs and NPC placements.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Jack Trades posted:

Also if you die in the game you will die in real life.

preorder uncancelled

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Khanstant posted:

The best part is, everything is lootable in the game, so even before we start working on combat systems, you'll be able to have exciting gameplay robbing random apartments.

That's like every zombie survival game ever.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

itry posted:

That's like every zombie survival game ever.

but what zombie survival game has you picking up equippable robo genitals

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Sab669 posted:

The difference though is that navigating through a forest on a horse is a pain in the rear end.

Horseback travel was a pain in the rear end in TW3, I started playing AC:Odyssey since the steam sale and it sucks there too, and it sucked in RDR2.

Just like Titanfall has good gun play and Fallout has bad gun play, some games do travel well and others don't.

The best way to travel in W3 is to make the werewolf decoction (stamina not expended out of combat) and just sprint everywhere like a madman

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Sab669 posted:

Horseback travel in RDR2 was pretty great, but I played on PC with a KB+M.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I only played it PS4 and often found myself running into small trees or stumbling over tiny cliffs. Before long I just put it on autopilot because any shortcut ended up taking more time.