Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I just wish Rockstar had literally anything to say. Oh you liked playing a violent highwayman? Ha, did you know violence is bad and having ideals always cause violent paranoia? Say something profound or let me play my cowboy in peace.

on the other hand you get poo poo like neil druckmann and tlou2 with his CURRENT YEAR storyline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

tbh I've never played GTAV or RDR2 because neither really appealed to me. GTAV always struck me as mean-spirited about a lot of things (including Saints Row based on what little I saw of their sendup, I might've misread it, w/e) and RDR2 seemed like it was about engagement through immersion instead of fun gameplay which isn't something that really calls to me when I'm wondering what to grab for myself.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Tirranek posted:

I found RDR2 amazing for just walking around nature, doing random in nature stuff and occasionally going into town to buy a new gun. I spent about 20 hours in that game and did about 3 missions, and I'm not keen to do more really.

Yeah it has a lot of problems that make the game part very boring which is kinda a disaster for a videogame but I can appreciate the work that went into making a big world and populating it with high quality assets. It's not even a "walking sim" it's like a video game diorama. They just seem to be walking further away from the make a fun game part though if people end up playing your game like a 5 year old who has more fun playing with the box it came in than toy you got them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s like if that middle aged guys model train set came alive

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

RDR2 is an excellent western epic and that's why it's boring as poo poo.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
i finished rd2, liked it and will never play it again.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Arglebargle III posted:

So basically Once_Upon_a_Time_in_the_West.exe?

I don't know if that makes me want to play it or not come to think of it. I have a fairly high tolerance for boring if the atmosphere is on point. Does that mean I need to play Death Stranding?

Unlike Horizon Zero Dawn it's not a buggy shitshow of a port at the moment.

Zeta Acosta posted:

i finished rd2, liked it and will never play it again.

This is me re: Nier Automata.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If atmosphere is your thing Red Dead Redemption absolutely oozes atmosphere. You'll get atmosphere all over your computer area. You may start speaking with a drawl.

I really enjoyed RDR2, but I played it over June when everyone I knew was isolating and I had no work so that definitely colored my experience. It is a great place to escape to if you have nothing else to do.

As far as software goes it's fine. It's demanding graphically but that's the only issue I had with it.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
the characters are the real draw in the rdr2 story, imo

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah much like Witcher 3 the player's emotional engagement with the player character is critical to the experience. If you hate Geralt or Arthur both games are going to flop. If you like Geralt or Arthur you're going to enjoy the story.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

RDR2 is amazing. The story itself is probably the best that Rockstar has ever done (admittedly not a super high bar, but still worth noting), the characters are excellent, and the actual game world is one of my favorites of all time. It's one of a very few games that I've beaten that will probably never be uninstalled from my PS4, because I frequently feel like just firing it up and riding around for a while, maybe work on finishing the animal codex.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

There are so many great touches in the game that give it a sense of place. It's a fun outdoors simulator.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I don't think I played GTAV much past the torture sequence. The game wasn't fun to play, I'd heard everything on the radio, and I just... set it down and walked away. Like CSG says I can certainly appreciate the craft in it, but there just wasn't much for me after a while.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Dawgstar posted:

I don't think I played GTAV much past the torture sequence. The game wasn't fun to play, I'd heard everything on the radio, and I just... set it down and walked away. Like CSG says I can certainly appreciate the craft in it, but there just wasn't much for me after a while.

I've beaten this game twice and have zero idea what you are referring to...?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I haven't played the game once and I'm pretty sure they're referring to the scene where one of the protagonists is torturing a man tied to a chair in what appears to be a basement or a garage, using tools from a toolbox.

Edit:

sean10mm posted:

Same. I've beaten it, and to this day I have no idea why I bothered.

I mean, I must have enjoyed something in it. The mindless fighting maybe?

itry fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 8, 2020

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I've beaten this game twice and have zero idea what you are referring to...?

There's a mission for the FIB guys where Michael goes with a sniper rifle to kill a target and Trevor tortures a guy for the info. I assume that's what he's referring to.

Also Re: the Horizon port, I've not had too many issues with it. The performance isn't as good as you'd hope, and there's some minor sync issues with animations/audio in cutscenes, but I wouldn't call it a buggy shitshow, and it's certainly not unplayable. Looks really good, too. This is after 5 hours played.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The torture scene was literally an international news item when the game was fresh, people couldn't stop arguing over whether it was gratuitous shlock or biting satire (who cares)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Rdr2 sucks rear end because the controls suck rear end

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

GTA5 sucks and RDR2 is extremely good.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Google Butt posted:

Rdr2 sucks rear end because the controls suck rear end

This is true but the game is also a masterpiece.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Shoehead posted:

Put Waluigi in 2077

Woden
May 6, 2006

sean10mm posted:

As in only one play through and not multiple to get all the endings?

I started a second play through to get better ending but just got bored doing the same missions again.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arglebargle III posted:

yeah. i love its slow burn nature and how stuff ties into other stuff. Arthur is a great character and i like that your basically seeing the death of a cult where everyone is slowly seeing that dutch is kinda full of poo poo.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

For all that its mechanics are circa late 2000s RDR2 is innovative as an RPG by being faithful to the Western Epic genre. An AAA RPG protagonist isn't supposed to fail at every important goal and get progressively weaker throughout the story.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arglebargle III posted:

For all that its mechanics are circa late 2000s RDR2 is innovative as an RPG by being faithful to the Western Epic genre. An AAA RPG protagonist isn't supposed to fail at every important goal and get progressively weaker throughout the story.

i mean i like that though, i like how the game gets bleaker and bleaker until the bitter sweet epilogue. like i love it as the weird open world western Epic that it is. its a light simulator RPG and it dont gently caress around.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's kinda funny that by chapter 4 a new story quest marker makes the player go WHAT FRESH HELL AWAITS

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I got to RDR2 late so had most of it spoiled for me already which probably lessened the story impact a lot.

Maybe I'll give it another go sometime I just felt like there wasn't enough to actually do to keep me interested once I got through gawking at how amazing the locales were. I did enjoy finding all the places I could play poker though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I've beaten Nier Automata 3 times all the way though. That game has better writing than 99.9% of all games on the market, easily. There are a couple of scenes near the end that never fail to put a single manly tear in my eye.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

The torture scene was literally an international news item when the game was fresh, people couldn't stop arguing over whether it was gratuitous shlock or biting satire (who cares)

Ah, but you see, Trevor lampshades it right after so

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Zeta Acosta posted:

on the other hand you get poo poo like neil druckmann and tlou2 with his CURRENT YEAR storyline

Can somebody please explain what this sentence means.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Oh that’s easy, this year Neil Druckman and the wonderful folks at Naughty Dog released an incredible, thrilling, and deeply thought-provoking video game about the nature of violence, survival, revenge, and closure set against a backdrop of global catastrophe brought about by a plague.

I actually have absolutely no idea what they mean, but TLoU2 is a loving insanely awesome video game and very well written and fun.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Oh I know that, I watched about 4 hours of a let's play before deciding to stop because it looks awesome and I'd rather play it myself whenever I get the opportunity. I just had no idea what the person I quoted was trying to say.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Oh that’s easy, this year Neil Druckman and the wonderful folks at Naughty Dog released an incredible, thrilling, and deeply thought-provoking video game about the nature of violence, survival, revenge, and closure set against a backdrop of global catastrophe brought about by a plague.

You see, one character is petting the dogs and the other character is stabbing them in the face and then saying "gently caress". It's an incredibly deep and thoughtful metaphor about how one character is a piece of poo poo and we're supposed to hate her.

Then there's the self-insert of Neil Druckman himself literally spitting in the face of the first game. That's also a very subtle metaphor for the attentive players.

Genius writing all around.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

He means it has trans and gay people in it and he's mad about it. CURRENT YEAR is used against people who say things like, "It's 2020 and a woman hasn't been a US president yet!" etc. Real dumb post.

E:Don't have any opinion on TLoU2. Haven't played it, haven't watched anything.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

He means it has trans and gay people in it and he's mad about it. CURRENT YEAR is used against people who say things like, "It's 2020 and a woman hasn't been a US president yet!" etc. Real dumb post.

E:Don't have any opinion on TLoU2. Haven't played it, haven't watched anything.

this is idiotic, control has a female lead and it was my favorite game this year

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Joel got what he deserved.

Change my mind

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Ah right, CHUD-speak, opinion to be dismissed as worthless, gotcha. Thanks for explaining.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Jack Trades posted:

You see, one character is petting the dogs and the other character is stabbing them in the face and then saying "gently caress". It's an incredibly deep and thoughtful metaphor about how one character is a piece of poo poo and we're supposed to hate her.

Then there's the self-insert of Neil Druckman himself literally spitting in the face of the first game. That's also a very subtle metaphor for the attentive players.

Genius writing all around.

Neil Druckman does not have a self insert in this game and while it’s entirely possible that you played the game this is exactly what all the “critics” who watched the (completely wrong) leaks and didn’t actually play the game say so...

I also have no idea what “spitting in the face of the first game means” in this context.

It’s ok that you didn’t like it, but it’s actually very well written. Naughty Dog has effectively cemented themselves as the HBO of games, for better or worse.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zeta Acosta posted:

this is idiotic, control has a female lead and it was my favorite game this year

She wasn't gay or trans though. Checkmade, magachud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Neil Druckman does not have a self insert in this game and while it’s entirely possible that you played the game this is exactly what all the “critics” who watched the (completely wrong) leaks and didn’t actually play the game say so...

I also have no idea what “spitting in the face of the first game means” in this context.