Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
What functionally is the difference

Outside of the beginning and ending you can go almost anywhere in W3 and do all three sections of the main quest in any order and leave at any time and etc.

Mass Effect is like 90% main quest, unless you mean the crappy proc-gen planets in 1 or the handful of short side missions in 2 (never played 3)

Is it just that you don't like end credits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Halloween Jack posted:

I'll say the same thing I say about Mass Effect and Witcher and every open world series I like: I want a game with no main quest.

Comedy Answer: that's every Bethsoft game since FO4! :downsrim:

Serious Answer: that's basically Kingdom Come, where you are just a worthless peasant who can maybe become a well-armed psychopath.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

I think it would just be more stories since they wouldn't have to use resources on one big one /shrug and can flesh out more smaller ones with detail etc, functionality wise nothing would be different.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The yakuza games are probably the finest example of having a lot of well-fleshed out content populating a dense open world and even they have really involved main storylines. Its just that they put a laser focus on smaller zones instead of bloating their playable map area.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
When I think of open world games with no main quest, I think of Elder Scrolls, because that is 100% how I played them. Like you can finish the main quest in Morrowind or Oblivion in a couple hours probably, but it is never the reason to play any of those games.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s fascinating that the main quest of Skyrim is “travel an expansive wilderness to fight dragons in order to get their magic powers” but presented in such a boring and unfun way that people would rather dig around for coins and empty cups in a dim, muddy cave.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Maybe because the actual main quest is a bunch of other crap dotted with maybe three total dragon fights? Most of the actual dragon encounters are separate from the main quest.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Comedy Answer: that's every Bethsoft game since FO4! :downsrim:

Serious Answer: that's basically Kingdom Come, where you are just a worthless peasant who can maybe become a well-armed psychopath.

It's actually hilarious just how OP you can become in that game. By the time I got to the "go scout the enemy encampment quest whatever you do don't try to fight them you'll get wreck", I was so jacked and geared up I basically The Mountain style whole-sale slaughtered the entire encampment except for the inner area which required the quest to open the doors. I'm still pissed the game never acknowledged my ascension to the Peasant God Of War.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
No main quest would certainly help with the whole dissonace of "The world is ending if I don't stop it" but first let me just learn how to fish, solve a dispute over who owns this castle and pay top dollar for minor weapons from the people's lives I have to save from imminent doom.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I imagine Warren Spector's "one city block" hypothetical game would fit this philosophy.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If you took out the main quest from Witcher 3 and maybe separated the standalone quests from it such as the Red Baron storyline, then it would've been a better game.
The main quest is the worst part of that game.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I am hoping that the main plot for 2077 a nice small noir scale.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Nah. Geralt and Ciri's relationship was tied to all of that and removing it would make it a far weaker game.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Plus the brief but near the end where Geralt travels through other planes of reality was awesome as gently caress.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

We did it everyone!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1269384667981119491

We got police aerostats in 2020 wooooo cyberpunk!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Jack Trades posted:

If you took out the main quest from Witcher 3 and maybe separated the standalone quests from it such as the Red Baron storyline, then it would've been a better game.
The main quest is the worst part of that game.

It veers from average to great?

The worst part is most of Skellige. Even the most innocuous sidequests in W3 have a twist or a turn, but Skellige has the highest number of 'just fight some ghouls in a cave or something' Skyrim-style quests, its noticeably a step down. That, and navigating the isles mostly sucks obv.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Arglebargle III posted:

We did it everyone!
We got police aerostats in 2020 wooooo cyberpunk!

Some UK police forces have Drones they use for crowd surveillance at events like football matches, things they might expect trouble at. Drone operator will be on the radio calling out where ground units need to be.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Macrame_God posted:

Plus the brief but near the end where Geralt travels through other planes of reality was awesome as gently caress.

I did this today, and I wish I'd got to go through Avalachs world he said he'd seen with the star that was going supernova so he had to race to the portal before getting vaporised. I woke up and decided I was going to finish the main campaign and so spent all day doing just that. Even though I got one of the better endings because it was my 2nd playthrough I still feel a little empty now; it's so bittersweet. Looking forward to starting the DLCs that I haven't done yet in a day or so. All new territory from here!

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Cactus posted:

I did this today, and I wish I'd got to go through Avalachs world he said he'd seen with the star that was going supernova so he had to race to the portal before getting vaporised. I woke up and decided I was going to finish the main campaign and so spent all day doing just that. Even though I got one of the better endings because it was my 2nd playthrough I still feel a little empty now; it's so bittersweet. Looking forward to starting the DLCs that I haven't done yet in a day or so. All new territory from here!

Save Blood & Wine for last. It will give a better sense of closure to everything that way.

Heart of Stone has the better main storyline of the two (or of any game in recent memory period) anyway.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
If Ciri isn't a sidequest NPC in this game, I will consider it a failure

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Firebert posted:

If Ciri isn't a sidequest NPC in this game, I will consider it a failure

CDPR has specifically said that Ciri doesn't appear in Cyberpunk 2077.

It's possible that there will be an easter egg mentioning her, but Ciri herself isn't.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

dragonshardz posted:

CDPR has specifically said that Ciri doesn't appear in Cyberpunk 2077.

It's possible that there will be an easter egg mentioning her, but Ciri herself isn't.

It also doesn't preclude a totally not ciri character

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

It also doesn't preclude a totally not ciri character

Ciri had silver hair, cyberpunk has Silverhand. Case closed

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

There has to be an easter egg or it would be such a missed opportunity. I mean, they managed to fit a Cyberpunk easter egg into the Witcher and have it make complete sense lore-wise and not feel clunky or shoe-horned in.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I played Witcher 3 for like 60 hours and never saw that. What was it?

Edit: oh the Ciri part. Yes that was pretty cool and fun.

https://youtu.be/OinRDzEbqXc

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 7, 2020

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
There was a fun fan-trailer riffing on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OinRDzEbqXc

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
https://rtalsoriangames.com/2020/06/05/from-the-screamsheets-a-statement-by-rtg/

Statement from R. Talsorian Games & Pondsmith. More to come.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

You will not stop me from importing Ciri into CP2077 as my PC :colbert:

Edit:

R. Talsorian Games posted:

We don’t just condemn racism. We despise it.

itry fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 7, 2020

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I really cannot wait to play as some corpo douchebag

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

This is what we need!

They should make a Blood Dragon-esque game with the Cyberpunk engine & assets to hype up the next Witcher game, taking place on the streets of Neo-Novigrad with netrunner-vampires and robot barkers on the corner singing the PamParam song.

E: Geralt with mantis blades, one silver, one steel

Firebert fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 7, 2020

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

There's a Star Wars version of that which actually fits better.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I bet CDPR are really glad they reworked the game from the original concept of playing as a cop.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cops aren't punk.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I bet CDPR are really glad they reworked the game from the original concept of playing as a cop.

Was that really the original concept? Do they speak about that in an interview somewhere?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Was that really the original concept? Do they speak about that in an interview somewhere?

I think their original premise for the game was playing as a member of the cyber psychosis squad what hunts down the cyborgs that have gone kill crazy from all the murder.exe they installed in themselves. But thats what I'd heard like half a decade ago so.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The teaser trailer, way back, was about a cyber psycho becoming a cyber-psycho catching cop. I don't know if they ever mean for that to be the game though.

posting it bc still dope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvVjkqB3LH0

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I remember reading an interview that pitched that as the initial concept but maybe I imagined it. They announced the game over seven years ago and as shown the announcement trailer featured the Psycho Squad prominently, so perhaps my memory is just playing tricks. Very possible they never intended to have you play as a cop, or being a cop was going to be one possible background/playthrough option of several.

I tried to find a quote and came up empty, but while looking for that I found a Mike Pondsmith interview where he details what the player should do to get into the right mindset for playing Cyberpunk:

quote:

Go downtown at midnight and stand outside in the cold rain. Wait to get mugged. Beat down the mugger instead. Or barring that, watch Blade Runner, followed by Max Headroom, followed by Ghost in the Shell, drink a couple shots of cheap whiskey and end up the night listening to some really good trance, electronica or dubstep. While making love to your heavily tattooed girlfriend.

He then describes his role in assisting CDPR as him being a "Cyberpunk holochron."

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I thought that was just a thematic teaser to get the word out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P99qJGrPNLs posted:

The teaser shows how the Psycho Squad might acquire a new member.

The Psycho Squad specializes in combating "psychos" -- individuals who overuse implants and substances that boost or otherwise alter the human body.

There comes a point when they overdose on these innovations, and their bodies start to rebel against their biological body parts as well as all things organic around them. Simply put, they start killing people, who they now derisively call "meatbags."

When a psycho goes on the rampage, strange things can happen. There's carnage, and the psycho might be taken down by regular police, but they're not always able to get the job done.

When things spin out of control, they call in MAX-TAC (Maximum Force Tactical Division), popularly called the Psycho Squad.

Music: "Bullets" written by Darius Keeler, Pollard Berrier
performed by Archive http://archiveofficial.com/
iTunes:https://itunes.apple.com/lu/album/bul...

Firebert posted:

E: Geralt with mantis blades, one silver, one steel

:hmmyes:

Edit:

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I remember reading an interview that pitched that as the initial concept but maybe I imagined it. They announced the game over seven years ago and as shown the announcement trailer featured the Psycho Squad prominently, so perhaps my memory is just playing tricks. Very possible they never intended to have you play as a cop, or being a cop was going to be one possible background/playthrough option of several.

I tried to find a quote and came up empty, but while looking for that I found a Mike Pondsmith interview where he details what the player should do to get into the right mindset for playing Cyberpunk:

He then describes his role in assisting CDPR as him being a "Cyberpunk holochron."

I'm finding myself a little short on muggers or heavily tattooed girlfriends. :(

itry fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 7, 2020

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Glenn Quebec posted:

I really cannot wait to play as some corpo douchebag

My only goal in the game is to rub buts with the corpo lady from the previews. Screw the robo-ghost inside my head, momma's gotta get some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
While waiting for this game I've decided to play through Deus Ex Mankind Divided. It's taken about 10 hours of game play to start getting interesting and engaging.

I screwed up by not playing the prior release, that looks to have been a better game with more variety of locals to visit. I screwed up again by watching the 12 min refresher video that spoiled all the plot twists so now I don't want to play the previous one.

Don't be like me.