Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Please rename this thread's subtitle to "The release date is right in the name" so that people can stop asking!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

No HairWorks = No Buy. If I can't see those beautiful flowing tresses in 1440p then what's even the point of playing video games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It was a joke made in poor taste, offensive to some, and most damning of all, it wasn't funny.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Whoa, I didn’t know David Cage was writing for this game too.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The cool thing about science fiction has always been its ability to use fanciful technology to explore and analogize real-world issues in the present. People hoping that a game called Cyberpunk 2077 is somehow apolitical is baffling to me since sci-fi is one of the most unabashedly political genres out there.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

People boycott games because they don't have X-axis inversion, who gives a poo poo about their reasons. It's a consumer product and people can have whatever pet issues they want.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Glenn Quebec posted:

I, for one, look to video games to address social issues because

Is this post from 1995 or something? Many video games can and do address present-day social issues whether they specifically strive to or not. In a game influenced enough by cyberpunk to name itself after the genre, modern-day allusions will be inevitable. Science fiction is an inherently political genre. CDPR clearly wants to deal in the political, so their output should be evaluated for its narrative contributions as much as its shootman mechanics and world design.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

dogstile posted:

Alright, here's a question.

What if they decide to tackle these issues, but it turns out that in the future, they've worked it out to be a mental illness and they actually make cybernetic transfers to "fix them".

Is this still an example of a developer tackling a political issue or does it suddenly become terrible because its not the result you want?

It would be pretty tasteless and showcase an extreme lack of research in what we already know about gender dysphoria, yes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

I hope this game has good combat. I hope this game has lots and lots of good combat and I hope its long because ill want to play it for a while

I might even try to become the best at this game

Bad news: CDPR is making it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Chalks posted:

Guys what if someone makes a game where it turns out bigotry is a great idea and the twist is that actually no it's bad

That's what they call the Reverse Infinite.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

This dialogue feels like it was written by the fyads in the Zybourne Clock thread.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That was a cool demo, gameplay looked like modern Fallout except much better. This dialogue though, whoo boy. Somebody needs to tell the writers that saying oval office in video games isn't edgy anymore and maybe lay off the stereotypical mexican dialogue generator.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I hope there’s a dynamic UI mode, or maybe you can just choose to forgo certain mods? Would rather not see the damage numbers pop up in a game like this.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Senjuro posted:

Saves you from making quite a few animations I'd imagine.

Yes, in the economy of visuals choosing to not have a highly detailed character with thousands of unique animations that will be scrutinized by the player for potentially 100+ hours is a huge resource saver.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

When referring to other human beings, female is the adjective, woman is the noun. It's not a hill worth dying on in this case.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

esperterra posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/cdprojektred

Anyone recognize the VA for V? I really like her tone. Wonder what the male protag sounds like.

I can't be certain but her voice sounds so familiar, this actress maybe?

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3307588/?ref_=tt_cl_t6

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

alex314 posted:

That gang looked cool, chill bro shared a hit of slo-mo and stuff. Too bad it looks like any way the quest goes they are doomed. I'd totally do a gangster run and hit the corp convoys for a sick loot :black101:

It looked like you could try to fight the corp dudes when they ambushed you but it would be very difficult.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It would be funny if you could just shoot a rocket launcher at that lady's helicopter as she flew away.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

“News as big as my balls!”

“Cleaner than a oval office at a convent!”

It would be nice if the script was written by somebody who’s not a 13-year-old who just figured out for the first time that he can cuss without his mom hearing.

And it’s especially jarring when said by the main character who is obviously a professional voice actress trained to talk like a news anchor and over-pronounce literally every syllable. “Cleaner than a cunTTT in a convenTTT.” Normal humans don’t try as hard as possible to stress every letter like that.

Aye caramba jaina, these pendejos are cookin' my enchiladas!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

So LARPers, basically.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

dogstile posted:

I'm lolling at everyone who's cringing at the swears.

"poo poo, these guys are getting high, murdering, stealing, kidnapping and illegally augmenting themselves, that's cool"

"He called someone a oval office! Wtf!"

The dialogue is bad, OP.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I take it back. It's at least as good as the quality of writing I've come to expect from Grand Theft Auto, which is a very successful video game where bad dudes swear a lot. I don't know if CDPR can quite hit that level of dialogue, but I'm hopeful.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

JBP posted:

I hope you don't buy this game because it seems inimical to you enjoying yourself.

What are you talking about? I already said the game looks fun, I am just sharing my observation that I think the dialogue as shown is subpar and hope it's not emblematic of the game altogether because that poo poo will get real tiresome after 100+ hours. Is this the way it's gonna be for any criticism whatsoever itt?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Doom '16 is a great case study of how to effectively convey character through a first-person perspective, and silent no less!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

It was passable.

I'm not a fan of the dialogue or the VA so far, but it's early days. Who knows how much of that was final and how much of it was a quick record.

Weak voice acting is almost always a sign of weak voice direction, which is itself a sign of either not having a director and/or the script not being cohesive enough to coach your actors. Sidekick and corpo-chick were all right because they're just playing stock characters, harder to put the right weight into your protagonist when you don't have a clue of where you are in the story or what's happened so far.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

criticizing things is fine, i just find it funny/annoying/stupid when people got legit morally mad at the language being used, i agree its not as classy as witcher, but that was a "classier" setting. I am sure they will have better dialogue/writing in the game. also i thought the voice acting was fine and fit.

I think you're confusing "morally offended" for "tedious and tiresome." Nobody is getting their panties in a twist over the use of obscenity, it's quite the opposite effect where it actually comes off as very rote and cliche.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

TheRat posted:

This thread had several pages of people being morally outraged over the word oval office

Show me then? All I remember seeing were other people like myself who thought the dialogue was, as the kids say, tryhard.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

TheRat posted:

I often get the feeling some people in this thread have lived in a very tiny bubble. You don't have to go very far out of your comfort zone to find real life people who talk like the characters in the demo.

I've lived and worked in some rough neighborhoods throughout most of my adult lifetime, so you don't need to carry on this fantasy of talkin' tough to clueless goons over the internet. I don't like the writing as shown so far because it comes off as what a 15-year old might think real bad hombres sound like, and is pretty much indistinguishable from the cliched and swear-laden companion dialogue I saw in Far Cry 5, a game you might recall being known for its exemplary standards of writing. I just think it's pretty lame! Hopefully not too representative of the next 99 hours of gameplay because that'll get old real fast.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Mad Wack posted:

i hope we can dress up our companions - i wanna put the mexican dude in a cyber luchadore outfit or a day of the dead neon skeleton bodysuit

Muy caliente!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I liked the match-3 hacking minigame in Mass Effect 2.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Like most vertical slices for preview audiences I think the demo is just supposed to be a greatest hits version of the early game and won't appear in the same exact state for release.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Xarbala posted:

Speaking of supposedly apolitical brain-shut-off media, DOOM is set in a universe where a hubristic and amoral megacorporation decided to monetize Hell itself.

You can easily just not think about it, and in fact most people don't, but it's there.

The central satire of Doom16 is great and has become one of my favorite things about that game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

We've already breached the threshold of 100GB installs, there's no going back now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Digital Foundry guys do very good work in scientifically breaking down how much more money you could be spending on your :pcgaming::pcgaming::pcgaming: system for maximum amazeballs.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think players mostly value a sense of responsiveness over direct impact. Like most people will accept that video games are expensive productions and the major plot beats will remain similar across all playthroughs, but it feels good to have your prior choices continually acknowledged throughout the game and have two flashpoints separated by 20 hours of playtime suddenly smash together in novel ways. The details are what really sell that illusion of choice.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

I wish high budget game developers would stop tacking multiplayer onto everything.

That's kind of faded out as an industry practice actually, which is what makes this move surprising.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Andrast posted:

The biggest proponents of it just started making less and less single player games

I had Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed and Resident Evil in mind, all of which had tacked-on MP modes around this time 5-6 years ago but were purely single-player in their latest installments. But in actuality I think what probably happened is that more high-profile IPs went MP-only.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Streaming is already here and I'd expect it to play a very large role in the next generation of console offerings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

What many people don't understand is that game streaming doesn't have to be perfect, or even that good, to begin taking over. It just has to offer an acceptable and more cost-efficient alternative to paying $500 or more upfront for game hardware, which for many people will be an easy decision. Millions of players already have Fortnite on mobile and don't give a poo poo about input lag or reduced image quality, it would be an easy sell to promise them 30fps at 1080p for streamed titles that look better than anything their own native PC hardware could render, all for the cost of a Netflix subscription. Anybody who thinks the discerning gamer will opt for quality over accessibility should recount the resounding success of Betamax over VHS in the 1980s.