Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
Several pages late, did anyone make a joke about "Example of programs that a netrunnet can buy: a program to disable cybernetic eyes or another to block a cybernetic member"... leave my cybernetic member alone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

As of recently, the Quest does controller-less hand tracking.

When we were designing the Oculus Touch controllers, and building the early Rift demos and developer guidance, one big piece was that motion controls (which don’t need VR at all, really; Let’s Dance’s use of the Kinect is an example on a 2D display) are more direct feedback loops for the player. Similarly, it’s easier to teach someone (see every toddler) how to use a touch screen interface than a mouse. That directness of feedback loop comes with the cost of needing to deal with a wider possible input space.

(The idea that the only thing that matters is “input efficiency” is surprisingly naive given who posted it, since that would recommend changing every fighting game to have single button presses instead of combos, for example. There are also many interesting interactions for which the manner in which an interaction happened is as meaningful as the binary state indicating that it did.)

The sense of “kinetic mastery” and the gradations of depth and speed that you get with motion controls aren’t easily replicable with a keyboard, mouse, or controller. It’s like comparing singing to touch-typing, in a way. There isn’t an ordered comparison that’s meaningful. It’s a different issue from the diagetic debate, and it includes issues like multiple concurrent input modalities and borrowing coarse as well as fine motor fluency to aid the user in climbing the complexity ladder. “Gorilla arm” problems largely didn’t materialize as people (including myself) feared, and the greater physical demand of VR games is now almost universally seen as a benefit rather than a drawback.

Motion controls even for the non-VR Cyberpunk could be amazing. It’s a shame that LeapMotion didn’t really figure things out, but Intel has been trying to get depth cameras into web cams for ages, and we’re seeing them in phones now. Setting your phone facing up on the table and positioning your hands over it could be at least a mini-game controller in the next couple of years.

I don't have anything meaningful to add but I just wanted to say that in a thread of mostly awful posts, this was not one of them

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

https://twitter.com/macsmiff/status/1313911984451063811?s=21

Jeff Bezos is literally turning into Frank Fontaine lol we’re witnessing a bossfight in the making, hard mode is Mecha-Bezos and a couple of those Boston Dynamics dogs.

I'm one of the two ghosts he's jackin' off at the end

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
If you've ever actually been to a city like NYC you'll find that not all streets are crowded with people at all times of the day

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Oh, I’m not talking about the sexualized posters or whatever, all of that is fine, I meant the actual romance/sex plot lines or dialogue. I feel weird when video game characters flirt with my avatar and a dialogue path like “bang Lady Iris of the Burning Willow?” appears. That poo poo is never even remotely fun or immersive. The Miranda and Jack sex scenes from Mass Effect are legit some of the most offensive pieces of writing in video game history.

I just don’t want any “cum play, m’lord!” vibes, but if a mission takes me to a strip club or a brothel I’m not gonna be a nun about it, I’m gonna save the day and make sure all the SW are treated with RESPEK

Sorry that your Rodd is Busted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
Can I see my dick/balls when I look down or do I need to mod that in please confirm.