Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah I don't know much about Cyberpunk The Setting but my reading of Gibson's interview with RPS last year is that while Transhumanism is all about how augmentation will empower people and make life better, Cyberpunk doesn't say it'll explicitly make things worse but rather 'as the world gets more complicated any one person's agency or ability to make change will diminish - your cool robot arm can't change that'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There's nothing about cyberpunk that says the world has to be grey and raining all the time.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

They should have main plot characters constantly talking about a white haired woman with a large scar on her face who is always just ahead of you and then leave it at that.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Game startup credits. The CK Projekt logo fades in. Ciri walks across the screen and stops in the middle. "I'm not in this game". Walks off.

Plays every single time before you get to the main menu.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

VirtualStranger posted:

Speaking of capitalism, I'm curious about how the whole apartment/safehouse system will work. What gameplay purpose will these actually serve, and how do you get them?

The devs and people who saw the demo both have said the your character starts the game with a "small apartment located inside a massive megabuilding in a working-class part of the city", and the devs have said that there will be a bunch of other ones you can get throughout the map. Are we going to have to pay rent? I could see that being boring and tedious, but I don't really want them to do the GTA thing where you have a bunch of free penthouses all over the map by the end of the game.

I haven't played it, but I think I remember reading somewhere that the original 2020 RPG had "living expenses" that meant that you basically had to pay for all the poo poo you need to survive like housing and food.

The most probable answer is that they're just like Skyrim and Fallout and GTA and every other open world RPG that needs to ensure the player is always within a couple of minutes of being able to return to their stash/save point.

Anyone who has to seriously consider whether they'd prefer rent mechanics in their first person RPG or whether they're happy to just accept all games like this are a power fantasy needs to turn off the computer and go outside for a bit.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

People ITT: I really want a cyberpunk game but I really hope I can make my character neither cyber nor punk

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I don't mind people wanting to play an RPG in their own way and obviously how everyone chooses to have fun is their own business, I just think it's odd that with the choice to play any RPG in existence someone would pick one and then want to play it while negating the main conceit that's its unique selling point.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

fadam posted:

It's really not that odd at all. Prey does something similar on a much smaller scale with the Typhon abilities. Playing through the game without them is a little different than playing through with them, and there's a few story beats that acknowledge you refusing to use them.

Yeah but almost everyone considers it a massive flaw in Dishonored and Prey that the game gives you an incentive not to play about with all the tools on offer.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I’d prefer certain weapons/armor/skills be gated by abilities or cyber ware upgrades.

Deus Ex (original and new ones) does this fine. Almost everything is technically available at the start but mod kits let you squeeze performance out of the things you like so there's a bit of progression and character progression makes you a bit better at using it all.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Popete posted:

There is always going to be a cognitive dissonance in RPGs. How do you balance murdering 100s of people or an entire forests worth of creatures and still having any sort of normal human interactions with townspeople?

I think Kingdom Come: Deliverance is the closest I have seen an RPG come to stealing/murder having consequences.

KC:D is good but it is just a straight up copy of the Skyrim mechanics.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

JBP posted:

People will say I'm not buying it and buy it anyway.

modernwarfare2boycott.jpg

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Remember how the Witcher 2 original demo had Geralt come across a woman being tortured naked in the Temerian prison and everyone was all "this is really gratuitous and creepy" and CDProjekt did a double take and changed the scene cause they realised they'd gotten it wrong? They're a developer that's been on a journey from Sex cards in game 1 to 'you only get the good ending if you are willing to empower a woman' W3.

They're also Polish. If one of their devs is discussing a sensitive subject in English then they deserve a bit of good faith leeway for speaking in their second language.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

Yes if by trans you mean transhumanism. Otherwise they aren't gonna go there.

But that is how sci-fi can deal with these issues - you posit a world where anyone can make themselves whatever they want and nobody bats an eyelid. You get people to accept the moral point without directly challenging them.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Ostensibly the whole game is playable from start to finish. Finishing assets, playtesting, maybe small story changes and obviously bugfixing remains to be done. I'd figure a lot of the assets are mostly done. What are the chances to be able to do that within almost a year?

Assume a month backwards from release date to 'final' for QA testing. It's easy to think of everything taking forever because the game's been in development for 6 years, but if the game is functionally done then three months to sweep up assets and and test doesn't seem unreasonable. Christmas/New Year's could well be the aim point (except you don't release a new game during or around the Christmas sales, that would be a terrible business decision).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

loving show Eidos how this is done

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Harrow posted:

Thing is, if any studio is capable of delivering a game like this on the scale they're promising, it's CDPR. With the amount of time they've been working on it and what we've already seen they can do, this does seem like it might actually exist, and might actually be pretty close to what we just saw.

Mainly I'm hoping that they can deliver the promised quest reactivity on most of the big quests. Do that and I'm going to be real happy.

Oh Rockstar could absolutely do it but they choose to make their games about the minigames and things you'll do once and never again.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The 80's Terminator Style UI doesn't really do it for me. I get it's part of the original aesthetic, but we know now that's not what the future will look like and it does take me out of it a bit.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Donnerberg posted:

I suppose so, but you'll be let down if you come to this for hard sci-fi. Cyberpunk leans to the impractical side of tech.

Oh I'm all in for the soft sci-fi impractical stuff that's central to the whole theme of the setting. But while everything else has been updated to look more futuristic the ui is very much 'this is what people in the past thought the future would be'. Clothes, hairstyles, language; all of that can be a bit retro and punk and it's believable that fashion has just gone that way again. But really blocky low resolution text? I think it could have stood to be updated to be more '2020 take on 2077'.

Happy to be in the minority. And this is literally the only thing about the demo that I would critique.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ymgve posted:

Yeah, but like in GTA5 you could basically walk everywhere, and I wonder if this will be the case here, or if there is gonna be "islands" of high detail, and the majority of the city area just being pretty skyboxes.

Well people complained about Novigrad being too small (apparently) but this is one of those areas where CD Projekt really shined in W3 - they have a massive map that does have large areas of nothing but the gameplay relevant content is sprinkled perfectly so that you never feel like it's empty.

Yes you might only actually be able to go into 1 house in 100 but that never feels like a problem. I think the driving section in particular shows off what they are going to do - you'll drive to a destination and there will be 'city' around but you'll only actually get out and walk at the bits where there's content because... well why would you do anything else?

e: likewise in GTAV you can walk on any street but the vast majority of buildings you see are just boxes with textures and nothing inside.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 27, 2018

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Its extremely mixed. The setting is super cool, and it has very cool ideas, and there's some cool characters.

The overall story though is a goddamned mess, they change a bunch of things from the books for no reason which end up making no sense because they didn't seem to fully understand the books or something.

The first half of the season sets up a lot of cool things, but when you get to the end of the season and actually resolve them, its... dumb. Really dumb.

Overall, I enjoyed it, but I have many criticisms. Probably as close as we're going to get to a Blade Runner tv show.

I think it fails to land literally every big philisophical/political point it is trying to make and yet at the same time manages to be a fantastically well acted story about people and family. The performances are great, watch it for that.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I mean... a ton of games fit into that description. The only thing that I can see being specific to GTA is... talking to a mob boss? But even then, I mean... any game that deals with crime in a modern environment will probably have that.

The story Rockstar does for GTA (well for literally every game they make) is 'the doomed new start'. Our protagonist with a murky past seeks to reinvent himself and hit the big time but even in success is ultimately unable to escape the consequences of his old deeds. It's the story of 3, Vice City, San Andreas, 4, 5, Red Dead, Max Payne, hell it's even crow-barred into LA Noire and Bully.

There's... elements of that in the stories of Witcher and hints that Cyberpunk will have parallels. But gameplay wise the only real comparison seems to be that it's an open world rpg with quests.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hammerstein posted:

I'm kinda wary about early adopting that tech, I think I will rather stick to my current setup of a 1080Ti and a 1440p g-sync monitor and hope that it's enough to turn everything to ultra plus hairworks.

I have a regular 1080 and a 4k monitor and while I can't play everything on ultra (although bar a couple of settings I can on W3 - it's a really well performing game) one of the advantages of that resolution is that you can turn down high performance impact smoothing options and not really notice it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ufarn posted:

There should be a 7nm refresh before the game is out - and I'm sure Nvidia would love to launch it in time for CP///2077.

I think we're looking at a 1st half 2019 release. We haven't been given a public release but there's a reason CD Projekt have been silent for 6 years and have just now launched their media campaign, it's because they are ramping up interest to a release date they have in sight. You only do that if you are months rather than years away.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

Yeah I hope cyberpunk has potions too

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not but yes I hope it does and I hope they are literally called potions instead of 'drugs'.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Groetgaffel posted:

There's a time skip in the demo just before that. I'm certain who, if any, your V has a one night stand with is entirely up to the player.

Hmm, it might not end up in the game at all, but I saw that as 'you did the prologue/tutorial now, it's three days later and the game proper is starting'.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

DreadCthulhu posted:

Putting points into hacking always seems like a waste of perfectly good stats most of the time. Maybe that's simply because hacking is so lifeless in every game that offers it? Seems always more satisfying as a player to invest in fighting or persuasion.

Oh I'm with this. 9 times out of 10 'hacking' is like 'lockpicking'. You can't gate actually important stuff behind it because the player might not have it so it just becomes a thing you use to hide entirely optional loot behind.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The guy in charge of the twitter account is a social media intern not a dev you unemployed goon

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Anyone played Seven: Days Long Gone? It's by some ex-CD Project peeps, has a definite similar UI and gameplay elements to it. I've finally gotten around to it and while it's true that the camera hates you and wants you to die a lot and the rpg mechanics are... arcane, it's got a charm to it. Deserved to get more attention.

e: relevance to thread: it's set in a post post-cyperpunk world.

e2: IGN video review. Harsh but fair. Patches have substantially improved the graphics and crashing issues.

e3: To be clear, it'd recommend you get it on sale as a ~10 hour punt. It's interesting but it sits between genres, excels at none of them, and generally is something to play because it's very different to everything else rather than because it grabs you in any way.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 2, 2018

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Here's a gameplay observation: even though we are far away from release and the demo was obviously on god-mode so this is all up in the air; the time-to-kill enemies seemed pitched right. It's an RPG-shooter rather than a shooter-shooter so purple guns kill people in fewer bullets, but it looked like everyone went down in 4-5 rounds or a shotgun blast to the face, and the exception was the boss for which there was a justification. It all felt right and I definitely don't want to see it go the way of The Division.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

alex314 posted:

It seems the car chase scene is totally scripted and would play the same on every presentation. It's obviously placeholder, and at this time it doesn't look particularly well integrated into the game world. For me the driving part looks the least finished from the things shown.

The car is a horse. I'm cool with a bit of on-rails shooting stuff as long as it's really, really occasional and for nice set-pieces.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Neurosis posted:

I had the patience in Dishonoured and will go non-lethal in Deus Ex until facing MJ12. Human Revolution, on the other hand, had stealth tedious enough and mooks depersonalised enough a scorched earth policy was necessary.

This is one of those overlooked reasons why Deus Ex is so great; at the start you are incentivised purely by dialogue and some really minor rewards to be non-lethal because you are part of a police agency, but there's a moment where all that falls away and you realise there's no reason to start killing the bad guys. None of which effects the endings available in any way.

I don't think any other game has managed to do that (Arkane tries to offer that freedom, but ruins it with a 'but thou must' where if you want the 'good' ending you have to play a certain way all the way through).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Alpha protocol maybe? Though thats more one mission halfway through the game.

In my opinion Alpha Protocol goes way too far down this hole because literally everything you do effects the endgame in some way but unless you replay the game constantly (which most people won't because guys while I love you but Alpha Protocol is not a fun game to actually play) you'll never actually see or appreciate how things could have gone differently.

That's part of the magic of the writing for the Witcher games; there's always two or three different ways a situation could go based on your choices and while you might not always be able to foresee an end result, you always know if you are doing something significant to bend the arc of the story somehow.

The other game to compare/contrast with is Skyrim/TES series where your actions absolutely have consequences, but for the vast majority of the content of the game a deliberate choice has been made that there are no mutually exclusive choices to being the archmage-werewolf-grandmaster of the theives guild-hero of the imperial legion. The narrative consequence is that if you play long enough your ability to suspend disbelief over your character arc fall apart, but that's a fair tradeoff to get the player freedom that Bethesda are prioritising.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

wiegieman posted:

I honestly don't know if the licensing thing has been tested in court yet. There's every chance a judge would think it was bullshit and rule the whole model unacceptable.

When you buy a game you clearly don't literally own the game code. Multiple people have been chased in court and had to cough up damages for producing cheats for games, so clearly courts buy into the fact that multiplayer is a service and if you modify your game you are breaching the terms of that service in a way that causes harm and is enforcable. It's always been analogous to buying a music record. You don't actually own the music, you just own the right to play it. For yourself and not in a commercial context.

It's one of these online myths that won't die that a multi-billion dollar industry is operating under a collective legal fiction they all agree to keep up the pretence on.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

On any 3-4 year project it would be weird if you didn't have a plan for year 4 or year 5 because that would make you a terrible business.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

alex314 posted:

Sure, but selling those expansions and additional content before the launch feels wrong. I'm certain there will be additional paid content for CP2077, but I'm also certain the base game will not feel gutted without it. I don't have the same level of certainity for Paradox products. It seems to be in their DNA to release basic product and then iterate it through many DLCs. For example I still haven't bought HoI4, despite sinking hundreds of hours into previous installments.

It's no different to Pillars or Tyranny selling their expansions before launch. Unless I'm really excited and lacking in a backlog then I'll wait for the expansions to come out and get the whole lot on sale, but other than the obvious risk that it'll turn out to be bad value (it always does) I don't see there being anything wrong in offering season passes before release.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Literally every PC game is technically DLC now, thank me for blowing your mind

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

What if, hear me out guys, different phases of a project require different levels of effort from different people on a team, so the people scoping the design of a new project might be working on that with tech people while level designers and artists might be keeping busy using the game systems and tools available to them to create content.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

pnumoman posted:

A spiritual successor to Alpha Protocol by CDPR would make me die from happiness.

There's no reason why they'd feel the need to go for it given the cost and the alternatives open to them, but they'd do a D&D game just fine (not copying across the mechanics, just taking us back to the Sword Coast).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nah, I want IO Interactive to have a go at Alpha Protocol, if they ever get a chance to make a second game while making more Hitman, which they should make forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

TW3's open world doesn't add anything to the gameplay. But I don't think that's what it was ever intended to do. It's there to create the impression of a seamless immersive world in which the narrative of the game is happening, rather than a series of corridors connecting cutscenes. That's a very different purpose to the open world of Skyrim and Fallout, which exists for the purpose of delivering the gameplay experience of exploration, and is akin to the open worlds of the GTA series. It's also extremely effective and is a key component of why TW3 is the best RPG ever made.

For relevance: I fully expect CyberPunk 2077 to use its open world in the same way. You aren't going to be running around exploring the city, the city exists to provide a seamless experience as you move from one carefully scripted and defined action sequences to the next.