Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
BEAVER FALLS, Pennsylvania becomes a 'New City'? As a western PA native, that's awesome. gently caress Night City, I want to go to Beaver Falls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Look Sir Droids posted:

I wonder how these people ever enjoyed games enough to make it a hobby to begin with.

A lot of people are only interested in the tropes of a genre and not its themes. They want cyberware, sexy robots, and flying cars, without having to think of what that means. I think the nerds that got mad at Star Wars just wanted laser swords and spaceships and were furious that a new movie would have any other kind of content.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Earwicker posted:

also i think it is unlikely that "all forms of labor" will be automated even when the technology is available and more affordable, until the other factor is dealt with: a massive population of underemployed people is a huge problem for any power structure, and low wage jobs are necessary to keep the bulk of the population occupied and in line. the idea that a living must be "earned" will last far longer than makes technological sense. there are of course all kinds of theories about how the bulk of the population will spend their time in a future in which all or most labor is replaced by automation, but personally i think the most likely scenario is that we will still find a way to keep most of the world in wage slavery regardless of how smart and cheap the robots get

This is a really neat idea. You should make a video game. Set it in, like, 2077 or something.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Everything Comte posts is cool

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

yeah check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpX4ZXnb_dk

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

There is a startling amount of capitalism focused entirely on whales.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

fuf posted:

what kind of weirdo wants to make a character that looks like them, I have never understood this urge

People who don't usually see themselves represented in media, probably.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Bicyclops posted:

Public transit is cool, but in the context of a video game, what does it add that fast travel doesn't, really?

I'm probably in the minority but I like in-game fast travel systems.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

8one6 posted:

AR sleeves. You're really just wearing a vest and your hud is projecting the image of the shirt.

Everyone is 100% naked, all the time, and their AR broadcasts what your AR system overlays as clothes in your view.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

I hope there's a character who fawns over you if you go corpo and if you sleep with them you wake up the next day to find they robbed you blind.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

I feel like if I was reading Snow Crash in TYOOL 2020 I'd want to be warned about that.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

There's more time between now and the publication of Neuromancer than there was between the publication of Neuromancer and the publication of '1984'.

:corsair:

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I really don't understand why dev crunch is a huge topic with CDPR and it's overshadowing a lot of the other stuff about this game when it's endemic and a problem throughout the entire industry, and I'm sure there are far far worse culprits.

Frankly I think it's because CDPR made the mistake of talking about it. Most companies are hoping it continues to fly under the radar. That is the entire point, after all - normalize it so the behavior is expected.

edit:

cubicle gangster posted:

Ive seen articles shared by friends on Facebook that say people aren't productive after 30 hours and nobody should work more than that, but they've clearly never worked with people passionate about what they do. Tons of senior people in videogames if you sent them home after 30 hours a week would just spend another 30 hours that week working on personal projects.

I think video games would be more interesting if this was true. Hopefully they'd be shorter as well.

If some folks got to see their families more I guess that's nice too.

Twobirds fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 12, 2020

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

I did like Witcher 3 combat, I thought it fit the conceit quite well. Fighting level 50 wolves is dumb as hell though.

I bought a copy for a friend for his birthday and I asked him later what he thought and he said he was annoyed at all the cutscenes since he just "skips through all that stuff". I kind of felt like asking for my money back.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Bust Rodd posted:

I cannot believe we didn’t get that thread title change yet

Cyberpunk 2077: jesus christ they called the fifth Deus Ex game 'Cyberpunk 2077'! Buy this, choomba!

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i get its hard to find genuinly good physically disabled characters in media but like getting pissy over poo poo you misread doesn't help. if you want to get mad for disabled people. get mad over poo poo like me before you and hosed up movie tropes like that.

I'd actually really to know - which disabled characters in media do you appreciate? Science fiction specifically, I guess, if you have them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Eason the Fifth posted:

So if I think that the games industry should be unionized to avoid some of the more hideous aspects of development like months-long crunch times and unpaid overtime, is it ethical to buy this game? Is CDPR worth supporting in their business practices? I remember reading some real horror stories about Bioware, Rockstar, and some others.

Edit - sorry if this has come up before in the thead, it's kinda long

If you only purchase ethically sourced products of capitalism, I have bad news about whatever device you used to make that post.