Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Strobe posted:

:bahgawd: "I paid money for this and I am entitled to this in perpetuity"

Might wanna read the EULA before you install next time, bud
You can write literally anything in a contract, have people sign said contracts with (or without) due knowledge of their contents, and then have the court throw the whole thing out because (and this is key) just because it's written in a contract does not, in and of itself, necessarily mean it's legally binding.

When a company wrote "you owe us your soul" in its EULA, it wasn't a lesson about "people should actually read those before signing them".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Bust Rodd posted:

I dunno my buddy went to Russia for his honeymoon and says that basically there are huge runs of little towns between major cities where after the wall came down all these people had no money but because a dealership was the only factory in town everyone is driving around these po’dunk towns in high end cars (from that time period).
I mean... I haven't been to Russia in a while, but that's not a stereotype I've ever heard about small Russian towns. There definitely weren't enough cars to go around while the Soviet economy was actually functioning, much less during the 80's / 90's.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

What's the actual proper term for what the thread referred to as "wage slave" - an employee paid by the hour?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

That's basically the opposite of what I asked though?

Edit - I'm not asking "what does the term wage slave even mean, I'm so confused", I'm asking "what would they even be called in-universe corporate speak". Or in our universe's corporate speak, since we're loving in the most boring of dystopias right now.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Looks like DX:HR style "you can choose not to kill anyone... except for the obligatory boss battles, obv".

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 17, 2019

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

JBP posted:

It was me just hoping for Kitano because that would rule and they're already spending money hand over fist.
I thought he hated video games?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

JBP posted:

He's openly attacking Pondsmith as a racist now. Also everyone that disagreed is a troll.
I'm also a big fan of Ian Miles Cheong.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I am really legit happy that he finally got his comeuppance.

There were a few years there were game journalists were happy to eat up his "okay, forget that last game, my NEXT game though..." over and over and I couldn't believe it.
Yeah, but that RPS interviewer was SO mean to him!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Gonna listen to the synth cover of this while inhaling coffee-like cyber aerosol and deciding what gig to jump on first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4_0Pt3HAR8
Finally someone recommends an actually worthwhile cyberpunk beat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wpjjGyJWjc

spider wisdom posted:

my most favorite typo to date
?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I know what that is.

Did the poster in question meant someone else?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

El_Elegante posted:

In what game has it ever worked like that?
Ultima 8.

You could improve your throwing / magic skills in the QFG series by throwing your rocks / fireballs / other std metaphors around all willy nilly.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Play outer worlds on the Microsoft game subscription thing then cancel it so you’d only paid $15 for it. It’s fun enough and that price makes the comparison to blood and wine good.
Wait, I thought that was like 1$?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

tanglewood1420 posted:

Playtesting doesn't just mean hunting for bugs. It's about getting quality player feedback on the game and responding to that, whether that be tweaking combat, rewriting quests, changing layout or visual design of environments etc. etc. It's a hugely valuable resource to a developer to have an extended playtest period and CDPR have the ability as a self-publisher and the financial resources to push a game back to ensure they get it. If it's EA or Activision bullying a developer and threatening financial penalties if they miss a release window then that extended playtest/feedback/tweak loop is the first thing to go.
Man. Back in the day the CDPR employee who posts here suggested I apply to work at their Q&A department, and now I kinda regret not doing so. Put my powers of finding rare and confusing bugs + interminable petty criticism to good use.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

ErrEff posted:

If anyone wants to experience it then I highly recommend supergreatfriend's playthrough. It's exhaustive and features David Cage's poetry writings (yes, he put that in the game under a pseudonym).
:same:

I was just considering linking that very LP.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

One of my favorite moments in the New Vegas thread was a guy bitching so hard that it caused JE Sawyer himself to tell him how wrong he was.
Wait, a moment... are you trying to tell me that the game designers believe that the way they've designed the game is... good? Holy poo poo. That is so shocking.

And not really relevant to the question of whether the game is well designed. (The "quick" way to Vegas, filled with invisible walls and linear cliff paths, outright requiring you to learn it's possible from an outside source and save-load your way past a number of deaths, was definitely not).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Or you could listen to what characters in game tell you, explore a little, and use the tools given to you to get through.
The characters in game tell you to turn around and use the intended route. If you get any in-game indication about Black Valley being the difficult but faster way to get to Vegas, I'd love to hear that, because that would mean there's some bare hint of in-character reason to go there.

If you explore a little, you will head down the road and run into a bunch of deathclaws, some of whom are programmed to be able to see through your invisibility device. You can spend forever banging your head against the wall, but to the best of my recollection (possibly confirmed by our lord and master JSawyer in the FNV thread) there's no intended way to get past them.

You could try to avoid the deathclaws entirely and climb the mountains, but that's impossible due to the invisible walls and unscalable cliffs.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Ugh what do you mean I can't just bunnyhop over this cliff and instead have to engage with obstacles the developer placed for me?
We're outright defending invisible walls in the middle of an open world now. Ok.

Anyways, if you happen to stumble into Black Valley proper, for some reason (I don't believe it's on your map to begin with, and the path there still involves navigating past Bark Scorpions and possible wandering deathclaws, which previous experience should have told you was a cue to turn back), you will meet Neil, who outright tells you that this is a high-level area full of supermutants, and you should turn back. There's no reason to assume that they won't be able to see through you invisibility as well - for that matter, there's no reason to assume the valley contains a path of Vegas, rather than being surrounded by more impassable cliffs.

But of course, if you don't make this assumption, haven't used up any of your Stealth Boys to try and get past the deathclaws, and manage to figure out the one path that allows you to leave the valley (IIRC, it's in the direction that's headed AWAY from Vegas), the whole thing is perfectly intuitive and well designed.

quote:

But I guess that WOULD require a little bit of thinking, and that must be pretty difficult for some.
:rolleyes:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

frajaq posted:

what

dunno man I remember doing the Stealthboy trick so many times this poo poo never happened

quote:

Deathclaws are able to detect the Courier while sneaking with a Stealth Boy activated from farther away, due to their high Perception.

Source:
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Deathclaw_(Fallout:_New_Vegas)

Also:

lol deathclaws have good hearing, dummy. Just don't walk right next to them or make sure to be sneaking when you have to pass close by.

And what the hell do you mean "no intended route" to get past them? Do you mean there's no route you can navigate without the stealth boys?
"Past" rather than around. Down the road past Sloan, rather than heading into Black Valley etc.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Also people bitching about invisible walls seem to think they always just exist to keep you from doing fun stuff that the dev doesn't think you should be able to do. There's invisible wall remover mods for New Vegas, and they actually show what happens when you take them out: some of them were keeping you from skipping chunks of the game by platforming, but a lot of them are keeping you from falling into unreachable areas while climbing around the mountains.
I'm pretty sure JSawyer mentioned a problems with the engine when trying to see the gameworld from the top of a mountain.

I've never encountered holes in the world geometry, despite having installed a mod to remove invisible walls.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

my last PC build I didn't even bother with a disc drive and i probably won't for my next one either
It took me two years to notice my new PC doesn't have a disc drive, and another year to actually install one.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

One the other hand, I'm still looking for someone to hand me down a DVD\VCR, so that I can transfer some decade all tapes to disc \ my computer.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

You should take some personal respawns ability for that.
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Thank Christ I never posted "hey, what's the joke about 'personal respawns ability'", so that my secret shame can remain hidden.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=besLe-vESMM&t=583s

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

99% of Skyrim’s fame is due to modding. People mod in a bunch of stupid poo poo and play around with it. No one actually thinks the shallow rear end base gameplay and systems are any good whatsoever.
Most Skyrim copies were sold on consoles. Same with every Betsheda game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

necrobobsledder posted:

Dialogue options being different with skill / perk choices or that may sometimes penalize one for being too intelligent / cool would be an interesting way to avoid the min-maxing tendencies of RPG players today. High tech skill could let you ask more technical questions or even allow diversional conversation tactics with the right characters. But so far I’ve mostly seen things like asking too many questions gets you killed or you need minimum skill investment to unlock a binary option of combat / no combat resolution to a conflict.
You have intoned the invocation, and now I am contractually obligated to recommend you play Disco Elysium.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Murgos posted:

A couple of 80 story buildings and a half dozen 20-30 story buildings isn't a particularly dense small city downtown today.
Is this some form of US humor I'm too Israeli \ Russian to get?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Cactus posted:

Also, is dual wielding handguns even a thing irl? Does anyone actually use guns like that? I cant imagine it being practical or accurate and can only imagine it being something you might see as an obscure trickshot category in a shooting competition or some kind of talent show performance. Dont know poo poo about shooting guns though so maybe I'm wrong?
It was mostly a thing when you needed a lot of firepower (at the expense of \ when accuracy wasn't important) and machine guns weren't invented yet.

If you're clearing out rooms and don't have an automatic weapon, two pistols might give you an edge.

(And that's a very short summary of a subject that involves a LOT of spergin')

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

dragonshardz posted:

Dual-wielding swords, most often a shorter one in the non-dominant hand, has a historical basis across multiple eras.
Just as dual-wielding two pistols is basically a worse replacement for a machine gun, dual-wielding swords is a worse replacement for a shield \ buckler.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Are there like, any mods for new quests \ characters?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

One of these days we're going to get a game where anyone shot with anything does the reasonable thing and falls down in pain. It will be interesting.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

In one of the books (Baptism of Fire, I think) Dandelion gives Geralt a horse and says he should name it Roach, and Geralt says he's never had a horse named Roach. I'm like DUDE YES YOU HAVE. Maybe the translation didn't properly convey he was joking, but it seemed like he was serious.
In the Russian translation (canonically approved by Pan Sapkowski) it's basically:

Dandelion: Let me guess, you're going to name this horse Roach?

Geralt: Sounds about right.

Dandelion: Did you ever have a horse that wasn't named Roach?

Geralt: Nope.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

If you don't have the time to play it all you can just watch the Joseph Anderton 2 hour loving analysis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS0NtNxlX-s
I will often link to multi-hour LP's or analysis videos, but... I have no idea how or why someone like Joseph bothers to stretch a 15 minute video into a 2 hour slog without adding any pertinent info. Surely he loses more viewers than he gains?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Khanstant posted:

I don't know what infinite jest is besides what people say about people who say they read it, but I'm definitely one of the perverts who wants extremely thorough long-form video analysis of media.
As do I. And when I finish watching a video (or rather, listening to it in the background), I will summarize the points the video is trying to make.

For someone like Noah Caldwell Gervais (whom Joseph is desperately trying to emulate) this will be quite difficult, because his long videos are generally stuffed to the brim with info, and could generally stand to be longer, so that he could expand some points that are overtly summarized. For Joseph (as noted above) it's the same few points reiterated, repeated, stretched out, and then recycled some more, over and over.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Prey is one of those games that encourages you to try and break it to make fun stuff happen. I hope Cyberpunk has some of that with augs...
That would be great, but I sincerely doubt it. The Witcher 3 heavily restricted what the player could do, and I haven't seen anything in interviews or playthroughs that makes me believe this will be any different. I'm sure there's a lot of variety in terms of "plot stuff", and how your actions can affect it.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Oct 3, 2020

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

People who expect a constant stream of quality content from a creator who doesn't do this as a full time job and doesn't have a team behind him have apparently never even contemplated a creative endeavor, much less attempted one.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I think it's really interesting that they say there's no Mexican accent in Russian. Like, surely there has to be? I guess they mean there's no cultural reference for a Mexican accent, that other dubbed movies don't do it?
Just a generic Spanish... well, not even accent, really, just broken Span-ssian.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Someone once told me Russian and Portuguese speakers have a weirdly easy time imitating each others accent but I have no idea if that's true.
Cypriots have a Russian accent when speaking Hebrew. Do with that info as you will.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

Is Thronebreaker any good? That’s the only one I’ve not played.
Full of time wasting filler stuff and not even really good as far as "I just want to play some Gwent" goes

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

She has a device inside her vagina that injects a knockout drug into the penis of any rapist that achieves penetration. She forgets about it even being there, because she was getting into the rape.

This is not an exaggeration or misinterpretation of the text.

Subjunctive posted:

Let’s not litigate the geometry of the sexual assault of a fictional minor, ok? At least not here.
I mean... it's specifically that. "The rapist gets knocked out before he gets anywhere" would fit in with the "it's all a satirical pulp adventure" aspect of the book, but that's not what happens.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Steampunk is great - without it, we wouldn't have Arcanum (which also puts the lies to the notion that steampunk necessarily dispenses with the punk \ anti-capitalist elements of the setting)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Cavauro posted:

I hope you can climb anything that you can jump up high enough to grab onto like in Dying Light. There's video of V climbing ontop of a shipping crate thing but maybe that's just a situational scripted event which would ruin my life
If V can in fact climb around, and at least the main quest hubs (obviously not every building) account for that, with vents, vertical space and hidden goodies...

I would go ahead and declare this the Deux Ex \ GTA crossover I never knew I needed in my life.

But I doubt that. That sort of flexibility in gameplay was never part of the Witcher series. gently caress, even Thronebreaker never accounted for very basic stuff you can do with your units (pause to read card descriptions if you want a bit more info on what's happening):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwhfVIObXKs