Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Jack Trades posted:

In the trailer that one guy's head burst into flames from being hacked.

I better be able to hack someone's head on fire OR ELSE.

Wireless brain hacks or no deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

frajaq posted:

William Gibson sounds really mad and jealous lmao

Old Man Yells At Cloud

Genres evolve, neon is sick af

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Julius CSAR posted:

So more and more I've been wanting to play Witcher 3, but I barely got into Witcher 2 at all and never finished it. Should I play through all of W2 before 3?

Witcher 3 stands up perfectly fine on its own and it's around this point that Geralt is starting to finally get it together so the story will make sense.

e: Also if you want to enjoy Witcher 3 for god's sake learn to quickstep and not just roll, it's so useful.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 12, 2018

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

It's still hilarious to me that Night City is right smack dab on top of real-world Moss Landing, whose claim to fame is being directly between Monterey and Santa Cruz and I guess there's a power plant on the slough?

Which brings to mind, where does Night City get its food from? It's sprawled right over the CA central coast's most productive farmland.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Geomancing posted:

I'm not familiar with California's layout myself, but the guy yesterday said it lays on the coast between Los Angeles and San Francisco.

It's in the middle of Monterey Bay, between where real world Santa Cruz and Monterey are.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

If I would expect any studio to Get It, it would be CDPR.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

V is apparently that friend of yours who not only wakes up next to people they don't even vaguely remember, but is probably going to get both of you killed someday.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Basically if you're at ground level in Night City you're a loving poor and nobody cares about you.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The combat in Witcher 3 is a really low bar

People keep saying this, and I don't understand why. Am I the weird one for liking W3 combat?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I think comparing W3 to Souls is a mistake, they're completely different systems. Souls is a parrying and resource management fighter, W3 is a dodgy fighter where you mostly never run out of resources. In Souls you need to clamp down hard and focus really strongly on what enemies are doing, in W3 you can almost always just dodge away and come back in.

I mean, if you're playing sword build, which is the correct way to play it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

frajaq posted:

whats the other way of playing?

I don't know! People keep bringing up signs and alchemy like they're not just ways to Sword Better.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Claes Oldenburger posted:

This is my hope, which I don't think too far fetched.

On the note of Deus Ex, after Human Revolution (which I enjoyed) is it worth playing the other one to tide me over? I seem to remember being turned off by the fact that it had microtransactions or something.

It does stealth the same way DXHR did, which was a huge plus in my book because DXHR is a good stealth game.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I search for "no commentary"

God, yes. I never want to listen to youtubers.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

My plan is to give V the most impractical hair on earth. We're talking a person who single-handedly keeps the hairspray industry alive.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

elpaganoescapa posted:

I know some think Solos are boring but I just wanna be a cool-rear end street samurai

if you're not even replacing your nerve endings with better versions then honestly why even be alive

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Ohhhhh, I guess Night City's on top of Morro Bay. That makes a lot more sense than north of Monterey. That lets it sprawl all the way back over SLO.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Earwicker posted:

you are being kind of weird. lotek/antitech characters and mentalities within cyberpunk worlds have been a thing for pretty much the whole history of the genre. it makes sense that someone might want to try playing that way for a challenge

Abandon the weakness of the flesh for sicknasty laser eyes :awesomelon:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Glenn Quebec posted:

Maybe in something like shadowrun where you get magic to make up for the lack of cybernetics.

Shadowrun is my jam, but that's not really the cyberpunk story, is it? The gulf between the rich and poor has widened and technology has matured to the point where the rich can literally buy being better than everyone else. Who cares what you look like if you can buy a new face? How do you compete with people whose parents could afford to buy them neurological upgrades?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I hope experience points are just money. Dollars. Buy your way to your abilities or make way for those who can, poor person :capitalism:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

You guys don't understand, someone is wrong on the internet.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

That setting unfortunately ends with the imperialists sending in large numbers of expendable armed robots to "restore order."

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

That's so depressingly correct. Maybe the robots in the second wave, to cut down the conscripts who disobey orders.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Tony Montana posted:

hrm. well that 'lore' page in the OP left me pretty cold

so DARK and GRITTY! everyone shoots everyone else! isnt it cool?!?!

does this mean I'm getting old? would have 18 year old me thought this was rad?

18 year old you is rolling his eyes so hard they're ricocheting off the walls, my dude.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Fetko posted:

CP77 has projectile eyes? Sounds neat.

2077 has gangs who get into turf wars over which brand of projectile eye is superior.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

If we don't kill ourselves or irreparably ruin the biosphere in the coming decades we're still hundreds of years away from the magic technology that Transmetropolitan used so well. Technology as a plot device shouldn't be used as any kind of bellwether for the future.

i am very excited for my own pair of KNIFE ARMS

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

ymgve posted:

But not us inverted Y-axis people. We are perfectly sane!

You're not safe, you're just further back in the line to the block you goddam flightsimmer.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

The people who say Witcher 3 combat is bad are dumb.

They're an incredibly vocal, and incredibly wrong, minority who need to git gud.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The text wall is done and there's a loading bar filling up, so get on if you want to catch whatever.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Hexenritter posted:

The American aversion to that word cracks me up as an English immigrant.

It just doesn't come up, so it always feels forced.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Motion sickness is one of the reasons that FPSs do poorly in Japan, for example.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

VirtualStranger posted:

Why would someone wear an eyepatch when they could just get a new robot eye?

So they could have a robot eye that sees through the eye patch.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

7c Nickel posted:

I'm hyped, but also a little disappointed with how fixed V's character seems to be. Like how every version of V you can play will also be an alcoholic apparently.

An alcoholic is somebody who doesn't take partying as seriously as V does.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

taco_fox posted:

I hope you can get cybernetic legs so you don't have to move around like you're walking through molasses

They do start dashing and sliding and double-jumping and airdashing near the end.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

Didn't the narrator guy specifically say what we witnessed was the non-violent option breaking down due to your choices? Deep quest consequences based on earlier choices seems like a pretty good way to show off game mechanics.

Yes. The more recent live demo they did with dude V in the same question has them tell the gang about the virus on the chip, which lets them buy the drone peacefully because the gang scrubs the virus. This gets the Corp agent killed because this was her last shot and she hosed up.

They then go and kill the gang to take the cleaned 50k chip because they insulted The Jacket.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

People will plug in random usb drives they find on the street, and I have no expectations that they will be any safer about plugging chips into their brains in the future.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

VoLaTiLe posted:

Would love if depending on how you result the quest, you could draw the attention of a bozo who randomly fucks with you for the rest of you're playthrough.

Doing that to a Solo like V is a good way to get yourself and your entire gang killed. Solos are terrifyingly good at killing people.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Hav posted:

, but America tends to pretend like it has some moral virtue over such things and everyone starts clutching their pearls.

The American way :911:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

hot take AP hacking was cool and good

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i guess we will be on the outskirts of the city. thats cool.

As someone who has spent some time in and around the Monterey Bay area it's still jarring to think that Night City is there.

If you put in the gps coordinates from the video they go to a crop field in Watsonville.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

The central satire of Doom16 is great and has become one of my favorite things about that game.

Doom is secretly one of the best goddamn pieces of videogame writing in the past 5 years, easy. It just happens to be wrapped up in one of the best shooters of the past 5 years too.