Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It had a lot of great ideas, like most of the QD games. Instantly breaking the 4th wall was cool, and it was the foundation for so much of what has become cliched with their games today: pointless interactions, cribbing from films, letting the player kill every main character. And of course, David Bowie. I remember finding all of the different concerts with him in the game, such a bizarre game...

I think The Nomad Soul will always be Cage's most fascinating work. The original script was hundreds of pages long and fleshed out a world that is mostly not present in the final product (though some of those details got pushed into in-game texts one can read). Lots of crazy background stuff, Judeo-Christian allegories and breaking of the fourth wall for story reasons (the player is acknowledged as a being from another universe).

On the negative side, it has first-person shooting sections, fighting game sections, inventory management, point-and-click adventure game elements and they... mesh together about as well as you might think in a 3D game from 1999. It also has obtuse puzzles, level design and parts of it go on for far too long, plus that the latter half of the game feels unfinished, like they just ran out of time/money and Eidos forced it to be shipped.

If anyone wants to experience it then I highly recommend supergreatfriend's playthrough. It's exhaustive and features David Cage's poetry writings (yes, he put that in the game under a pseudonym).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I know console manufacturers frown upon customizable graphics settings because the games should be accessible and super easy to use without compromise but this coming generation with its potentially large variety of compatible system configurations for both Sony and Microsoft presents a use case for them.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

There's some ARG going on right now, xbox.com has a teaser for it.

People aren't sure if new info is gonna get released when its done of if it's just meant to be for that new limited edition console and the images happened to leak early.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, stealth boys are like megalixirs or masterballs. You never use them.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

At least in Cyberpunk you'll be able to explain them as part of the setting.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

itry posted:

Even Valve don't describe Portal or Portal 2 as an FPS. They're first person perspective puzzle games.

I am totally into games having long acronyms to describe their niche genre and more should be doing it.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

alex314 posted:

I should get a fiber by September, but right now downloading 50 GB is 2-3 days of constant PC use. And I don't even know if my DVD drive work. I think I've disconnected it to make cable management easier.
I wonder if collector's edition will get a Blu-ray, or maybe a cool 64GB USB stick.

Not according to the game site - just a code like the regular edition.

Didn't the initial PC release of Witcher 3 come on 4 discs or something? That was before updates and such. My Steam install size says it's 51 GB with all DLC.

I don't know how a physical release of a modern AAA game without a download code could work, almost nobody has Blu-ray drives in their PCs so the only other option is flash media - which is significantly more expensive for several reasons. I'm fairly certain Cyberpunk is gonna be a huge game in terms of file size.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I recently tried playing the console version of Astroneer and it felt like I was fighting with my controller the entire time. It doesn't help that it was primarily designed as a PC game and probably not with controllers in mind but yikes, some of the ways they decided to implement that interface is just awful.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The cores in RDR2 are bad but they are thankfully not high maintenance. Even if they get depleted you can still carry on as long as your bars are not empty (and filling them is as easy as drinking a tonic, which there's plenty of). The cores generally just regulate regeneration and serve as backups if the bars get depleted. You even get a stamina bonus for eating less.

I don't mind the horse being realistically tracked, RDR2 treats them like cars - they are disposable to a point (even though you can buy and upgrade them, it's generally not the best idea since they can very easily die). It's mostly the saddle system that I take issue with; not having access to all your guns or equipment when on a non-saddled horse gets annoying. That and your guns getting "stored" whenever you sit on a saddled horse long enough. No, game, I actually wanted to keep that bow on me because I'm hunting.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

AirRaid posted:

No it’s that bad with a mouse as well. Astroneer had one of the single worst implementations of a mouse-controlled camera I have ever seen. No idea if they fixed that since I played but it was so awful I never wanted to find out.

That's disappointing to hear. I got interested in it after seeing Giant Bomb do a few episodes on it, but I guess it's one of those games that's more enjoyable to watch others play rather than try it yourself.

itry posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much the problem. All those pointless (and long) animations and unnecessary meters just stop you in your track. How is that immersive?
Worshiping photorealism in games makes for dull gameplay, and is a dead end design-wise.

It still sells copies, and that'll continue until we hit diminishing returns and the tools to create photorealistic graphics and animations are so widespread and accessible that it's no longer a unique selling point.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

First there was the VR game Half-Life: Alyx, getting released in a time period where people can't socialize and show off their fancy new VR game to others and the supplies of headsets drying up due to production issues.

Then came The Last of Us: Part II, a game about (or at least heavily leaning into the effects of) a pandemic, almost released in the middle of a pandemic.

And now it's Cyberpunk 2077, wearing dystopian bleakness and the motif of a police state on its sleeve, in the middle of large nationwide protests.

2020 is cursed. And we're not even halfway through.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/grcst9/status/1267920719595388930

quote:

"And yes, I have an AR-15 on me, how badass is this? This is never gonna happen again, guys, never. This is so cool."

*waves to police on the ground*

"Thank you! loving awesome."

Dudes are literally acting out their video game fantasies.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Zeta Acosta posted:

yeah, its a joke.

if rumours are true this game is totally a trainwreck on current console hardware so they will probably just scrap the whole thing and release only on next gen consoles + pc. the rumour is that the ps5 launchs on november 20th. poor devs they are going to be trough loving hell.

Too many pre-orders, publishing deals and partnerships. Current-gen versions have to happen.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

"Read the previews", which I guess means the only source for gameplay videos will be CDPR. Which doesn't surprise me if the game is still 5+ months away from release, it probably has rough performance in some places so they'll want to carefully control how it's portrayed on their own beefy hardware.

I wonder how they'll control those playable builds they've sent out. 5 months is a long time for nothing to leak.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I'd say that the bottleneck isn't the artists but rather the implementors of all the art assets. Only so many people can work together on building an environment at any given time, and someone has to stitch that stuff together at the end of it all and make sure it's not breaking apart.

Like said above, I'm guessing the game is mostly content-complete at this point and it's just a massive bug hunt and optimization process. You can't properly optimise unless everything is already locked in, nor can you thoroughly test all avenues and player paths/permutations unless all the content has been accounted for already.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

From a 1993 article in Mondo magazine.

Statutory Ape posted:

This is a good point. In some respects the game is aging poorly before its even out.

Inevitable when something is in production for so long and almost a decade has passed by.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Is it just me or do the textures in that screenshot look weirdly 'flat' and featureless to anyone else? Or maybe that area wasn't designed to be looked at from above? At the very least I can respect them for releasing a real in-engine screenshot that doesn't have doctored LODs and NPC placements.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Whoever's in charge of capturing screenshots thinks keeping the chromatic abberation and lens blur effects on when capturing promotional material is good... but it's not.

It's in all of these ones.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The Gadfly posted:

Schreier could have easily reported that anonymous sources at CDPR are unhappy with the situation if they had just voiced that opinion. From a journalist's point of view, there would be no reason for him not to report on that. Instead, he implies the opposite (while affirming that crunch does indeed exist) as seen in this tweet:

[snip]

Obviously there are people that like and welcome overtime.

I'm not sure how you're getting the 'opposite' from those tweets, however. Is the letter saying that CDPR's workers are happy with this arrangement? Anyway, his next tweet after that one:

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1314675754937053185

I'll grant you that he doesn't explicitly state "and they said they were unhappy with it" but come the gently caress on, what do you think? Mandatory overtime forced on everyone? They weren't asked. It's one thing to be asked to do overtime and agreeing to it because you want/need the money for whatever reason, it's another thing entirely to have it forced on the entire company workforce under threat of the loss of their jobs, because they weren't "team players".

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Read thread from page 1. Take a shot every time someone posts "delay".

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The delay is so they can port it to mobile.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

"FakeFactory CyberPunk 2077 Cinematic Mod 12"

"No Offensive Graffiti Mod"

Also looking forward to the inevitable mod that replaces characters with vtubers.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 25, 2020

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I'm gonna guess that leaked footage is from a base PS4. They showed the graphics and video menus for a brief moment, there was no option to prefer performance over picture quality. That's not a guarantee, it might just not be something that's getting implemented until the launch patch...

Graphics options: Film grain, Chromatic aberration, Lens flare, Depth of field, Motion blur
Video options: HDR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Hmm, you can tell this is a rough build - this shows up for half a second when you quit to the main menu (12:52).