Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This looks so loving good

My only complaint is like, why are all RPGs now doing this bullshit that Mass Effect started

Dialogue choices

"Could be. Go on, sing your song."
"What's the job? Specifics?"
"How'd you find us for this?"

Selects the first one and ends up saying

"Interested? Sure. Tell me more."

That could easily be the first or the second option. What is even the loving point of having a dialogue system if you don't know what you're going to say? Seriously just make it a cutscene at that point, its blatantly obvious the player has zero agency.

If you're making an RPG and you have dialogue choices let me see what my character is going to say so I can pick!! This makes absolutely ZERO sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BurningBeard posted:

This reminds me. Did Altered Carbon turn out okay on Netflix? I started it but got distracted.

Its extremely mixed. The setting is super cool, and it has very cool ideas, and there's some cool characters.

The overall story though is a goddamned mess, they change a bunch of things from the books for no reason which end up making no sense because they didn't seem to fully understand the books or something.

The first half of the season sets up a lot of cool things, but when you get to the end of the season and actually resolve them, its... dumb. Really dumb.

Overall, I enjoyed it, but I have many criticisms. Probably as close as we're going to get to a Blade Runner tv show.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Palpek posted:

Actually, they're doing the TW3 system where the important choices that will push the dialogue forward are written in yellow/gold and the "fill me in" lines that in the end will put you back to the dialogue wheel (and may open up new lines) are white. Some of the scenes only have golden choices though because you need to act fast and every choice will push the story forward in some way.

TW3 did have some moments of confusion here though, I hope they learned from those.

Yeah but there's no point having 2 different yellow lines that both have you say the exact same thing, which doesn't match the text of either of those yellow lines. That's what I'm complaining about.

Why can't the text just match the dialogue?

Its a painfully obvious attempt to create false choice.

What do you want to say?

"Hell yeah, lets kick some rear end"
"Okay, be careful, lets get this done"

<either choice>
Player says: Lets rock and roll baby!

If there's only one option, then just give me one option. If there's multiple dialogue choices then having the text not match the audio is even worse. But I think they're trying to effectively give you more options than they can afford to write dialogue for, and I understand that, but I'd rather you just don't. It chafes whenever you select "okay I'm going to say X" and then you hear your character say something completely different, with a different tone that you didn't intend.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 28, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DreadCthulhu posted:

If there's only one option, do you still want the option? I'd rather they just keep going with the dialogue instead of pausing at that point.

That's what I said earlier, if there's no choices just make it a cutscene.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

That was very obviously a polished vertical slice, those kinds of demos are basically a house of cards running half in an engine. This game is sadly still a long way away, end of 2019 at earliest.

By then the missions we saw probably won't be in the game as such, so maybe you'll have control over whether you're a drug user or not by the time its actually done.

poo poo does look extremely similar to Dredd (2012) which is a great thing.

Crabtree posted:

V huffs hallucinogenic inhalers, is potentially on their way to being fully machine, breathes in who knows how much toxic chemicals that just linger in the dystopia air and you have problem with alcohol and sex?

Hey what if you wanna roleplay a mormon in 2077 or some poo poo? :shrug: Choice is good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jimbot posted:

I believe they said the areas themselves won't be very wide but will be dense as hell and have a lot of verticality to them

I'm kinda with Warren Spector where I'd rather have a mile deep and inch wide over mile wide and inch deep.

Getting pretty sick of the GTA or Farcry open worlds where its pretty huge but there's not really much meaningful going on in most places.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Game looks like Deus Ex and Mass Effect had a lovechild that was raised by Karl Urban's Dredd.

Someone should check on David Cage over at Quantic Dream...he may not be taking it too well that someone finally made the Omikron game he always wanted to, from twenty years ago...

I'm not seeing much Mass Effect here (which is a good thing honestly)

Its Deus Ex and maybe a teeensy bit of grand theft auto. But its really just Deus Ex 2018 open world, and the theme is equal parts Gibson, Stephenson and 2000 AD.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Node posted:

It would be cool if there's a spinoff of this game where you play as Trauma Team. Mowing down anyone (including cops and corpos) to get to your client within 3 minutes would be awesome.

Or a side quest where you can take up a job for Trauma Team.

But yeah, that'd be rad as hell. Bust into some gang fight and smoke basically everybody so you can grab the one person who has platinum-level protection.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I wonder if the Batman Beyond writers cribbed from this

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

Far more likely they both took inspiration from Akira. The manga version started in 82.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_LfzFhfbeE

Unquestionably everything in the cyberpunk genre pulled from Akira. Final Fantasy 7 IS Akira.

You know I never really thought about the Akira gang bangers as clowns, just kinda crazy guys, but I guess they are actually wearing specifically clown makeup.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rinkles posted:

it was a bit too late to the party for that

Yeah okay I guess I mean the non-book stuff which mostly came later. :cheeky:

The books definitely predated even the cyber anime. But you gotta admit that anime like Ghost in the Shell and Cyber City and especially Akira definitely influenced the look of the cyberpunk genre heavily.

E: Oh wait... Blade Runner was before Akira, for some reason I thought it was the other way around. Nevermind.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 29, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rinkles posted:

also that other kinda influential movie

Yeah I just edited my last point, I had my 80s timeline mixed up.

E: Although the manga for Akira did start in '82. And the anime is basically a shot-for-shot remake of the manga, with the later half edited out for time. But that still is several months after Blade Runner was in theaters.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 29, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Back Hack posted:

I found this interesting

"How many dialog options are visible at most at a time, and do stats and skills affect them in any way?

PW: It really depends as we have a very dynamic dialogue system. So you can have different dialogue options depending on the character you play. As an example, if I am now talking to you and you have a camera there and I notice I am being filmed, then maybe I would now look at the camera and another dialogue option would actually pop up there. The conversation would shift to the camera where I would ask "Oh am I being filmed?!" and when the conversation shifts back maybe another dialogue option would have appeared."

So different dialog may show up from time to time based on how observant the player is.

E: Now that I think about it, you see a bit of this in the demo when going to the ripper doc, the person doing demo pans the camera around, their view briefly passes over the docs equipment and an option to comment that it's new pops up.

Good poo poo. The question will be how often this comes up in the final release, but its drat cool stuff.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I think you're confusing "morally offended" for "tedious and tiresome." Nobody is getting their panties in a twist over the use of obscenity, it's quite the opposite effect where it actually comes off as very rote and cliche.

This. So often in games now dialogue is f"uck the loving poo poo" and when that's everything you say it loses meaning.

There's a scene in beyond two souls where she says to her brother "I hate you..... I loving hate you!" And it just comes across as forced and comical to me.

Honestly though I feel that way about Tarantino about half the time.

I curse regularly, but when it calls for it and in a natural way. Too many videogames feel like they gotta cram some fucks and shits in to be more 'real urban' or something dumb.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hizawk posted:

I wonder if the game is also going to have a GWENT-like complete minigame.

Watch it just be GWENT. witcher could be a videogame in the cyberpunk world.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Node posted:

can we please stop loving talking about swear words

The game won't be out for 2 years, it'll be months before we see more video.

If you don't like the swear chat stop following the thread? Ain't gonna be much else for a long time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

I can't imagine anybody would say "I loving hate you" in real life, this sort of comically inappropriate prose is keeping games from becoming video games. Quite frankly, I find a piece of work distasteful if the stylistic norm diverges too far from the sensibilities set by Hugh Walpole, which have been proven to

Get a loving grip.

Way to completely miss the point, jerk.

Typical goons ignoring details to dunk on a strawman.

The whole point was the DELIVERY sounded forced and awkward, not natural.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Aurora posted:

thank you arbiter of what is and isn't transphobia

wow talk about arguing in bad faith Aurora

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Aurora posted:

presumably these people are coming from a position where they view it as hurtful as their own point of view and people going 'actually it's totally fine' is a bit more demeaning than the people upset by this arguing about it

"I thought about it and talked to my friends and we thought it was okay" isn't telling other people their opinions are wrong. Stop with this spin.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Aurora posted:

this is an A-grade cherry pick

Its literally the comment you were responding to from last page!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Again and again, it's the same arguments. Because some put something questionable/bad into a video game, it must mean whoever is responsible most believe in said questionable/bad thing 100%. Artist makes an ad that fetishizes trans people in a way that would totally exist in Night City, which must mean he/she sees trans people as nothing more then objects to fetishize. Game designer puts massive amounts of violence, armed robbery and drug dealing/use into a game, then ho boy does that person have some fun views on what a good Saturday Night must be. Writer makes a character that is misogynistic to a ridiculous point? Uhh can you say "incel"? (or vice versa, and replace incel with femnazi)

I know, people are on edge with CDPR after the twitter fiasco, but if that never happened I guarantee most of the people upset about this ad would still be pissed, because everyone seems to fail to grasp the idea of exploring uncomfortable ideas and situations in video games. Especially in ways that aren't clear cut/one sided. Not everything can be Wolfenstien where you hear the phase "nazi scum" five thousand times over the course of 3 hours of gameplay and about 800 mangled nazi corpses.

The short way of saying that is "depiction isn't condoning"

which is an important detail people miss. Game of Thrones is not necessarily pro-rape.

That said, it isn't a get out of jail free card either. The rape in GOT was at times pretty exploitative. And so too this ad could make sense in the context of the setting, but it could still be a bad idea, especially with all the trans rights issues going on in the real world right now. Our media do influence how we think about things. But even then it isn't clear, depicting trans people being oppressed could itself be a pro-trans message, "look at how bad this is, don't let our society become like this", etc. But then, is a videogame necessarily the right place to do that? Games are so complicated, so hard to control things exactly right. The player has influence on so much of how it gets experienced, which is part of what makes games uniquely powerful sometimes, but...

But this is too complex an issue for goons who are shouting past each other. We're not gonna get anywhere.

This thread is gonna be pretty toxic until we get another gameplay trailer :smith:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hamelekim posted:

These almost make me want to get a physical version of the game.

https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1139475327414087682

Came here to post this. So cool. reminds me of

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/deathburger/the-future-is-now-volume-two

Ah yeap, same guy!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Andrast posted:

Getting a GSync monitor has made a lot less worried about always hitting certain a frame rate. GSync is really good at making occasional frame drops far less noticeable.

GSync rules, tearing sucks but lots of people don't realize that with vsync if you don't hit exactly 60fps you drop to 30fps, even if you're rendering 59. That suuuuuuucks.

GSync gives you 59 if you render 59 but still no tearing, which is great. So you don't have to drop settings for those rare times where you dip.

Claes Oldenburger posted:

That would be something. I've got a 2080 and for the most part getting it to do things at 4k/60fps is tough, let alone something a year from now.

4kp60 is a fool's errand anyways IMO. 1440p144 is soooo nice for action games. Silky-smooth action is the way to go man. Especially since 1440 with TAA looks pretty dang close to 4K.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ItBreathes posted:

To the best of my knowledge it's not an issue of processing power but design time and skills. Building the comprehensive super detailed game everybody dreams of is essentially making an entire game for each system and that way lies Star Citizen.

Yeah, short of creating an actual sentient AI to build games for us, games will always be games because you have to actually design them. Trying to do everything just means doing everything lovely like Star Citizen.

Cactus posted:

I'm waiting, waiting patiently for the game that comes out and breaks this concept over its knee.

Not sure what this means though, plenty of games have come out that have been pretty original and not disappointing at launch.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

No combat, no inventory witcher 3 would be a pretty significant improvement.

After all the people who said they liked the earlier, peaceful part of Bioshock Infinite more than the FPS shooter that followed, I've been waiting for someone to make a System Shock / Deus Ex style FPSRPG where you just run around town talking to people and doing quests and things, finding out clues, but never actually shoot people.

A game like that where you play a detective would be sweet, like Blade Runner.

You could even have guns as long as its possible to roleplay things peacefully and you have options for a pacifist run.

I'm hoping Cyberpunk gives you some ways out but I'm expecting most of the quests will ultimately be about shooting guns.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tirranek posted:

Not sure if this is common knowledge but apparently multiple apartments isn't a thing in the game anymore. Kind of bummed if it's true because I was looking forward to being able to play a version of V that could 'climb the ladder'

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/v-will-have-only-one-apartmant-in-the-game-kasia-redesuik-gamestar-de-interview.11008165/

Bummer man, makes the world feel smaller.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Andrast posted:

I definitely hope the world is more dense than big

For sure, Warren-spector always talks about wide and shallow vs narrow and deep. Cyberpunk looks like its gonna be his dream "one city block" game, but we'll see as we know more.

But being able to pick different apartments adds to roleplaying, having one set apartment for all players of all runs makes replays feel less unique and the game feel less dynamic. Its not the end of the world, minor. Just sayin.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Corben Dallas has the same apartment during all of Fifth Element so its no big deal :cheeky:

Claes Oldenburger posted:

I have come to realize this. Need a 27" 1440p monitor though :p

Make sure it has gsync or freesync!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Okay so I just heard a reviewer from E3 say "you can play through the whole game without firing a shot" and I really hope that's true

I probably won't be a pacifist on my first run even if you can, but if you even have the option it means the game has to have lots of roleplaying alternatives which bodes extremely well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2019-you-can-complete-cyberpunk-2077-without-ki/1100-6467750/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0a

Yes! Confirmed!

quote:

You Can Complete Cyberpunk 2077 Without Killing Anyone

Based on what we've seen since the game's unveiling, it looks like you'll encounter plenty of shady characters and will have the ability to take them out in a number of creative and deadly ways. But as we learned during a behind-closed-doors gameplay presentation at E3 2019, you can also get through the entire game without killing anyone at all.

While we only saw a little bit of stealth during the Netrunner portions, CDPR made it clear that you will be able to play the entire game peacefully if you so choose. You will be able to sneak, hack, and otherwise avoid combat scenarios, though it's not clear if there are situations where you have to fight if, say, things go terribly wrong and you fail to sneak around properly.

I'm excited

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Julius CSAR posted:

I think I'm going to start playing "Uplink: The Hacker Elite" again just to tide myself till this releases. Also gonna watch "H4CKERS" about a million times

Uplink is great.

And you mean the 90s agelina jolie movie? I don't think there's a 4 actually. But that is my favorite bad movie. There's so much hilariously bad/great about it.

Hack the planet!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

They do a good job breaking down most of the best/worst moments.

Uh, Mr. The Plague?

Lmao the skateboarding. The floppy discs. "Ugh, hardcopy!"

SO much I love about this film. Cereal Killer. No names! We are nameless man!

Crash override. Zero Cool. Acid Burn.

HACK THE GIBSON

The soundtrack is really good too, and I listen to it at work sometimes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV78vobCyIo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

For all the things I've seen about the game I just appreciate the amount of daytime footage. Like, pretty much every cyberpunk piece of media takes place exclusively at night and it makes sense I guess but this goes a long way to make it look like an actual real world.

I think in the Blade Runner universe that pollution had actually created perpetual night and rain, which is perfect for Noir detective stories but yeah, it does feel a little bit cliched sometimes. And having variety is nice.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Dunno if this was posted already but i love the guys artwork

It was but its really cool stuff.

Check out https://www.graphicine.com/josan-gonzalez-the-future-is-now/

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 17, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Different start locations depending on your lifepath similar to Dragon age Origins:

https://www.vg247.com/2019/06/17/cyberpunk-2077-badlands-nomads/

“You can be one of the nomads as a player and you can start there, being part of a family of the Nomads,” Sasko explained. “You could call them a tribe that is living in cars and they’re just driving over Badlands."

:dance: this is super good news.

"Another Start" was my favorite mod to Skyrim, let me just start as a merchant or or something. Having a single intro where you're a prisoner makes replays feel like you're the same exact character, limits roleplaying.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Existence of mods doesn't mean the game is mod-friendly necessarily. Minecraft isn't actually mod friendly but it has more mods than anything else I can imagine.

Chello De Don posted:

Witcher 3 has like the easiest loving mod installation process of any game ever.

download mod, put mod in mods folder, done bang boom pow

If the unmodified version of the game ships with a /mods/ folder though... that does sound like it at least has some support for mods lol

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CrazyLoon posted:

...and hard not to be that when you have poo poo like Netrunning feature prominently, and your first-person perspective constantly going out of 'reality' amping up the surrealism.

For any who, like me, failed to find the Chippin' In song (either version of it), though you tried hard, this fan remake based on this year's version of it is a pretty cool substitute while we wait: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wab-QOK_ek

The distortion on this is really nice and sounds good in a circuit bending cyberpunky way.

The main riff sounds like something off the doom soundtrack \m/

Oof not a fan of the vocals though

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I said come in! posted:

It blows my mind still that we literally got a sequel to Blade Runner and it was an incredible movie that surpasses the original which is one of the top 5 best sci-fi films of all time.

Huh, I thought it was really pretty but kindof a soulless re-tread of the original.

I actively hated all the scenes with Deckard in them.

Bautista was loving amazing but his scene was so short.

Gosling was good too. Jared Leto was Jared Leto.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shoehead posted:

Jeff from Giant Bomb had a similar reaction to seeing this years' demo. He was describing it as "mortal" now that he could see that it's just another video game, that does video game stuff. Which is all I really want from this game tbh, (and to be maybe less lovely about some social poo poo but whatever)

I guess we'll see for ourselves in august

Gamers really gotta stop hyping themselves into thinking a videogame is gonna be the matrix.

No man's sky, star citizen, and now cyberpunk.

Its a videogame made by mortals. There have to be limits.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

UP AND ADAM posted:

Lots of people missed how much the writing and world-building in Witcher 3 surpassed every other RPG, so I wouldn't expect critics to immediately identify similar strengths in Cyberpunk from a demo build.

As with anything there are things witcher 3 dows well and things that are "videogamey" and pretending like its somehow unique is real silly.

Every other rpg? Not really...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

UP AND ADAM posted:

Yeah, it does writing and world building well. Better than every other RPG, or most other games in general (though comparing that in games across genre is harder).

It does writing and world building well.

Better than every RPG? That's just silly though.