Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Welp, I may be the only goon who doesn't meet the recommended specs :unsmigghh:

Now the question is whether to give GeForce Now a shot, or just accept my potato graphics fate.

I'm not complaining about the specs though. At least I will be able to run the loving game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
The open world aspect of the game should be very similar to GTA in theory. The structure of the story and the character progression will be completely different.

Wolfsheim posted:

Is Cyberpunk not a W3 style open-world and more like a big DX hub? Genuinely asking, but the fact that I don't actually know even after watching a lot of the prerelease videos makes me think most people are under the assumption it's a big city where you drive around with the general goal of becoming a more successful criminal, which is the plot of every GTA game.

There should be more degrees of freedom available. In W3, you couldn't even attack NPCs in the city. This game will have a crime system with NCPD and/or MAXTAC coming after you if you start killing civilians. The same thing will happen if you walk around naked apparently :v:

The plot starts out the same as in GTA. You're a nobody trying to get rich. Later on it seems like there will be an actual storyline though, with more than just doing glorified heists.

The Gadfly fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 28, 2020

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
I won't be able to play the game until mid December anyway, so I would actually prefer it if they pushed the release date back a month. It's not going to happen though.

What surprises me is that they thought this game would be released back in April. It's almost October now, and they have mandatory crunch.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Zeta Acosta posted:

if you cant play witcher 3 on cyberpunk 2077 then whats the loving point

Witcher 4 is the real game, innit? Cyberpunk 2077 is just the bootstrap into the sequel.

CDPR, you clever bastards :allears:

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Is it gay if you gently caress as a woman during a braindance?

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
It's the law of righteous indignation: The outrage shall be proportional to the subject's level of success.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

So you’re saying the best way to support CDPR and the goon in this very thread working on the game is to boycott the franchise until... what exactly?

The problem is that a bunch of people are outraged on behalf of others while knowing hardly anything about the situation, the extent of it, or how the people affected feel about it. We don't even know how the goon in this very thread feels about it, so it must feel bad for him to have everyone presume what he thinks, and not be able to reply without taking a stance on the issue. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but he, or any other CDPR employee, hasn't said that they have negative feelings about what CDPR has done. Schreier could have easily reported that anonymous sources at CDPR are unhappy with the situation if they had just voiced that opinion. From a journalist's point of view, there would be no reason for him not to report on that. Instead, he implies the opposite (while affirming that crunch does indeed exist) as seen in this tweet:

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1314580544685051905?s=20

The Gadfly fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 11, 2020

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

ErrEff posted:

I'm not sure how you're getting the 'opposite' from those tweets, however. Is the letter saying that CDPR's workers are happy with this arrangement?

My point was, would he be downplaying crunch if his connections said they were unhappy?

ErrEff posted:

I'll grant you that he doesn't explicitly state "and they said they were unhappy with it" but come the gently caress on, what do you think? Mandatory overtime forced on everyone? They weren't asked. It's one thing to be asked to do overtime and agreeing to it because you want/need the money for whatever reason, it's another thing entirely to have it forced on the entire company workforce under threat of the loss of their jobs, because they weren't "team players".

I don't think mandatory overtime is automatically something that people universally condemn, especially if there is generous compensation for it. If they had explicitly mentioned that they were unhappy, don't you think that this would've been anonymously reported?

batteries! posted:

Do you think a lot of the developers who volunteer for "mandatory overtime" will also pile up online in order to give you their opinion? Do you think these developers would leak emails or even talk to a journalist if they were happy with the situation?

Schreier has a lot of industry connections at most big studios. He's aware of generally what is going on regardless of what his connections feel about it. He's very well informed. What you're implying has no factor at all in this.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, there may be a lot of CDPR workers who are completely fine with this, especially considering that they get a bonus of 10% of the profits. He doesn't explicitly say that they were happy or unhappy with the arrangement, but come on, what do you guys think he would imply from a journalist's perspective, especially when he is trying to break the story? I think wanting to hear what the employees themselves feel about this before forming an opinion is a reasonable position to have in this situation before getting completely outraged.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

batteries! posted:

How exactly does it not factor into it? Why does it matter what connections he has? If he says he interviewed several developers at CDPR and he has shared what appear to be internal emails, why are you handwaving it away as "connections"? Developers are talking to him and leaking company materials because they're happy at all the mandatory overtime?

My dude, stop stanning for really bad industry practices. You're going to get your keanu big chungus videogame regardless.

I was saying that the fact that Schreier knows about this does not necessarily imply that his connections are unhappy about it. I'm not handwaving anything.

If it comes out that a bunch of CDPR employees are unhappy about the situation, even with the 10% profit bonuses, then I will gladly jump on the outrage bandwagon. I'm not simply whiteknighing big industry. Until I hear about that from employees, it's not something that automatically deserves outrage. Schreier himself is trying to keep people from jumping to this conclusion at this point when he says "A company embracing crunch culture doesn't make it evil or malicious or an industry villain."

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

batteries! posted:

You keep skipping over these for some reason: why are CDPR developers doing anonymous interviews and forwarding company emails to him, at the risk of being fired? Is it because they're so happy about the mandatory overtime?

I have no idea about how Schreier gets his information, but I imagine that he's extremely good at probing his contacts. Any kind of leak, including information about new IPs or business timetables, could get employees fired, but they still do it without benefit (or maybe not, who knows if Schreier kicks back something to his connections).

I can't answer your questions because I can't make assumptions based on so little information on how Schreier gets people to give him information, how he approaches contacts, or even what he considers an interview. If he has records of these interviews, then I would definitely like to see them, because that would give us lot more information than what we have right now.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
I thought the combat in W3 was too slow-paced. Felt like I was trying to control a sloth covered in molasses, even when I was just trying to turn around. At least Cyberpunk combat looks a lot more varied and responsive.

Also, spamming the ignis sign as the only form of ranged combat was really lame and boring.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

black.lion posted:

There were crossbows! I remember, because mine was made of a cat! Wait not it was from the cat school but you know, cats are weird - also there were bombs, like lots and lots of bombs, which are also ranged.

Good point, I completely forgot about the crossbow. I think the damage output was so bad compared to swords that I never used it except for when I was fighting flying enemies.

I remembered the bombs, but there was a limit to how many you could carry so I thought of it more as an auxiliary item rather than a ranged weapon.

black.lion posted:

quen and aard or gtfo

:getin:

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

This doesn't seem bad to me.

People tend to become sentimental towards their meatbags, but being a borg could be better if you think about it. The tendency is to assume that you would have all the cold, unfeelingness of a tin can if you went full borg. I disagree. You could have more senses than people without cyberware, which would probably more than make up for the loss of things like a nervous system. This isn't even to say that some kind of artificial nervous system couldn't feed the signals to your brain and further augment it with something like touchless proximity sensors. You could also have superhuman senses, which would provide a richer experience than those without it. Plus, braindance tech can put you in a virtual environment at will, where you can simulate having your original senses again. This would all depend on how good the tech is though.

Oh poo poo, this post makes me sound like a :spergin:

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

I never thought the future depicted in Cyberpunk or in games like Deus Ex Human Revolution made a ton of sense, in regards to aug replacement. A disabled person getting a missing limb? It make sense. But why someone with a normal arm would replace with a chrome robot arm? I'm not talking of a super arm, military version, but one that whose capabilities are not that far away of a meat & bone one, the type used by civs you pass by in these games.

Well, aside from the obvious mundane advantages like not having to wear an oven mitt, it would depend on how well the nervous system is integrated. If your brain is capable of feeling the same level of sensitivity (location, texture, temperature) with a chrome arm compared to a normal arm, then there would practically be no difference. The advantage of a normal arm is sense of touch and dexterity, a loss of either of those would be a detriment. However, if those are equal, then a chrome arm would be far superior. For example, natural limbs are evolved to be extremely sensitive to pain, because they're not replaceable, but with a chrome hand, this would not be an issue and you could work faster and not worry so much about hammering that nail with your hand close by.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Chalks posted:

It's not about gendered npc barks which would be trivial to fix - as an English speaker it's easy to forget that gender neutrality is extremely difficult in most languages.

It doesn't even work well in English either, as "they" is supposed to be plural according to the English language.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
I guess I should've said that "they" in English is originally plural by definition, and was historically used as plural in almost all cases until very recently. It would be useful to differentiate between singular and plural when you have the information to do so, in my humble opinion. So, considering this, it would seem that English isn't the best language for this either. Anyway, I didn't mean to derail the Cyberpunk discussion with that, so I'll just leave it.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

homullus posted:

"You" is originally only plural in definition (the singular is "thou") and the English language survived that transition just fine.

Good point. English needs a proper replacement for the plural of "thou", instead of the awkward "y'all", "you all", or "you guys".

Blind Rasputin posted:

They is singular. These is the pleural of they.

I would like to inform thou that these is the plural of this, not they.

The Gadfly fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 17, 2020

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

sean10mm posted:

When the TV show came out the confederate stuff was more about Hollywood going "lol look at the silly hillbillies am I rite?" Like it always had bad implications if you thought about it, but it's not like now where pretty much only people who are being aggressive assholes on purpose use that symbolism.

It was always bad and dumb, but the people doing it for a laugh all stopped and all that's left are people doing it to deliberately provoke people.

As someone who barely watches any movies, let alone old irrelevant politically-charged ones, I didn't realize that I needed a phd in watching them in order to not deliberately provoke people now. Gently caress.

Ok, so is the manufacturer, Dodge, considered racist by extension as well as the model? I don't really think that the Dodge Charger itself should be guilty by association just because some movie painted(?) a confederate flag on it, but I also don't think that the OK symbol should be considered racist just because some dumbass white nationalists use an upside down version of it :shrug:

I thought almost all the cars in Cyberpunk look insanely good and fit the Mike Pondsmith cyberpunk style. Also, there's no way in hell that I'm driving in third-person after seeing interiors like this:

The Gadfly fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 18, 2020

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
I didn't even watch the movie, let alone know the exact make and model of a car that had a confederate flag painted on it.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

they mentioned that the badlands are pretty dangerous to cruise around.

Witcher 3 was pretty dang open from the start, but some areas were basically instant-death if you were level 1.

From what I can tell, the cars are not tied to character stats or anything, so as long as you're not driving a poo poo economy car through the badlands, then you should be fine even if your character is level 1.

Then again, this is assuming that you can outrun them and not have to get into an actual firefight with enemies 20 levels above you.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
That's true. I think you need either the strength stat to carjack people or tech stat to hotwire cars. So car progression is soft capped in a sense, even though cars are stealable.

I guess we'll see how easy it is to get a decent car at the beginning if it is even possible. I think nomad lifepath is better in this regard. So if you want to drive around at the beginning, then probably choose this lifepath.

The Gadfly fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 18, 2020

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
E: doublepost

The Gadfly fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 20, 2020

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

The car below is a modded version of the above.

It's going to be hard seeing all these modded cars at night when they don't even need headlights anymore :cool:

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
When do reviews come out?

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Nice. So we could have reviews as early as November 14.

Hopefully someone does a technical review and benchmarks it running on a bunch of different systems. I'm particularly concerned about how well it runs with the minimum specs.

Edit:

I said come in! posted:

Although sometimes they are too comfortable and review scores before release end up being really bad for a game. So who the gently caress knows. I'm a bit more nervous by all of the delays and employee exploitation surrounding this game. It's a total myth that a delayed game results in a better game.

I am 100% sure that some game journalists will drum up controversies, whether they are deserved or not. It's simple clickbait economics.

I agree that a delayed game results in a better game is a myth now. That was from the era when OTA updates and expansions weren't a thing. Everyone parrots that Miyamoto quote without even thinking of the context of the time period in which he said it.

The Gadfly fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 20, 2020

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
I thought Cyberpunk is supposed to be a dystopia? If it were a transphilic utopia with people flocking there due to it's non-explotative society and trans rights, then it would not be the setting that is trying to be portrayed?

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

You can also potentially enjoy the game in spite of their marketing being bad.

CDPR's marketing team has been poo poo in general.
  • E3 2019 demo: Promised that they would release the closed door demo to everyone who couldn't attend an expo after the yearly cycle was complete. Released a complete shitpost 15min edited version instead.
  • NCW episodes: Inability to QA one second clips for those that do not contain debug text, NPCs in T-poses, or graphical clipping.
  • Twitter: Spends time replying to trollbait by making lame jokes in an attempt to dunk on them :lol:
It's just overall incompetence from the marketing team, especially when compared to the technical teams which are actually making the game. The good thing is that the marketing team is only relevant before the game is released. People will largely forget how the game was marketed after they start playing it.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

CYBEReris posted:

It may be pessimistic but I honestly don't think most people care in the first place. Because of how critical AAA hype marketing is to the full package of the product there will be a handful of people like me who are wary or have taken a strong stance against the product, but most people will just enjoy the cool robot arms and not have to think about any of this.

I don't care that much about it myself, but it just gives a pretty good indication of how incompetent the marketing team is in general.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

As someone who saw the 2019 e3 demo in person. They showed all the good stuff. The rest was more of the same and driving and talking about systems and poo poo. It was cool in person but you saw the best parts.

Well, good to know that the rest of us didn't miss much I guess :v:

Anyway, I guess cdpr's marketing videos have gotten better in some ways, even though I'm not big fan. I think they're getting carried hard by Keanu though.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

That said, the OP I was responding to mainly had non-moral complaints about poo poo that I think no one offline cares about (editing down the 2019 gameplay demo, having bugs in night city wire clips, slapfights on twitter) in the first place, so if this derail is all obvious to you it truly isn't to me.

I guess my take is that cdpr's marketing dept is not very competent, but yet still successful due to the graphics (provided mainly by cdpr's engineers) and Keanu loving Reeves. But mostly the latter. I think that almost any incompetent marketing department can still be successful when given these tools to work with. Maybe I'm being too harsh on them, but I think the editing has been really not very great :shrug:

The Gadfly fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 21, 2020

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

cubicle gangster posted:

One thing i've found quite interesting in all of this discussion is the number of people that see corporations and/or marketing efforts as singular entities, as if anyone inside it actually knows anything at all that's going on down the hall.
Corporate communication just isn't that good. everyone's just throwing poo poo at the walls, hundreds and hundreds of people, and someone is running around and in the blink of an eye trying to decide to leave it up or ask them to try again.

I agree that they have to work with other parts of the corporation to do their job, and this communication is usually not very good. However, the marketing department should ultimately be responsible for the quality of work they put out. If they keep on making a bunch of gaffes and it gets to the point where they're saying "Oh poo poo, we should've actually watched the 1 second clips that make up our slideshow/trailer just to make sure that there's no debug code showing", then I think it just says that the marketing dept is either poo poo, or doesn't care. They shouldn't be passing the blame for that on corporate communication.

I'm not sure if you were referring to me, or someone else. If it wasn't directed at me, then please ignore.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

The "unit" here would be the game. So it's way way over $65. More like $100,000,000? The profit depends on how many people buy it, and they can produce infinite (digital) copies for basically no cost.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

jng2058 posted:

If you don't know who they are, who cares if they're "influencers" or not? They're just substandard voice actors if you don't recognize them. Thus the solution is to never let yourself be influenced by "influencers" and then their presence or not won't matter. :shrug:

The OP didn't indicate knowing them or not. So what if someone already happens to know them, and doesn't want their immersion broken when they run across them in-game?

And before you say "What about Keanu Reeves?", he plays fictional characters in a lot of movies, so we're conditioned to not thinking of him as a real person. All of these YouTubers and game journalists are just themselves day to day in whatever media they put out. So when we are reminded of them, we think of them as just a typical person. Hence this breaks immersion.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

jng2058 posted:

That's your drat fault for paying attention to YouTubers in the first place. :colbert:

:suicide:

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Some of them play clowns whether they know it or not, true. Dr Disrespect is one of the few intentionally trying to play a character. I mean, he has played his character for so long every day that he basically merged with it and disrespected his wife / people's bathroom privacy. But others are more or less themselves.

The Gadfly fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 23, 2020

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

itry posted:

No matter how you define it, having someone take out your eyeballs and then insert new ones while you have full view of the operation from a bystander perspective is dehumanizing body horror territory. I can see why Pondsmith decided it should cost Humanity.

What's the humanity cost for detaching my junk and having a third person, out-of-body sexual experience? :thunk:

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

necrobobsledder posted:

There are a lot worse companies than CDPR and the list of decent employers in gaming is hardly lengthy.

There's a list of employers in gaming where none of the employees worked more than 40 hours per week?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it. Sigh, guess I know what I need to do now *takes out wallet*

The Gadfly fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 26, 2020

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
:lmao: Consoles :lmao:

Why not just release it for PC first? The inverse happens all the time. Console players can wait 21 days. That's nothing compared to how long PC players have to wait for poo poo pc ports.

Actually, this doesn't affect me. I already mentioned in this thread earlier that I wasn't going to be able to play the game until mid-December anyway.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m sure they have a tangled web of contracts making this type of thing a mess.

I thought MS and Sony only pay studios for console exclusives that are released only on their platforms. Well I guess that's good for CDPR if they want to throw money at CDPR to do something that CDPR had always been planning on doing anyway (releasing on xbox and ps).

If their contracts don't involve money, however, then CDPR could probably break the contract. I mean, what is Sony or MS going to do in that case? Ban them and not have Cyberpunk 2077 on their console? :haw:

Edit: Do devs still have to pay a fee to publish their games on a console? I think CDPR not publishing on a specific console is much less lucrative than charging a fee to put games on their console. Hence, MS and Sony have basically zero leverage here, because having only xbox or ps as the only platform would be devastating for the other platform.

The Gadfly fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

revwinnebago posted:

Also lol if anyone can't spot the gaping flaws.

Ever heard of advertising? Distribution? A whole lot of people holding down a whole lot of jobs depend on this giant corporate behemoth and all of its tendrils.

Pivoting to things like "well just don't release it on X you dummies" is taking food out of the mouth of a lot of babies. It's going to cost a lot of dollars to change the numbers on all those ads and posters, and however indirectly, gamer dollars have to pay for that work to be done. A lot of work will be abandoned, so contracts people were depending on will go unfulfilled, and people will lose jobs - however indirectly.

I think you misinterpreted what I said. I was saying that there's no way that the game would be cancelled on consoles, even if CDPR broke some contracts by releasing the game first on PC. As you astutely pointed out, there's too much money invested for either MS or Sony to let that happen.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Also, it may anger consumers themselves -- given that most games sell better on console than on PC, and given that more people own gaming consoles than gaming PCs, angering the (larger) console market to throw a relatively small bone to the (smaller) PC marker is a bad business decision.

Always remember that the games industry is a moneymaking industry like any other. Yeah, people get passionate about this stuff, but ultimately most games companies (especially the larger ones) will make the decisions which are best from a business perspective and not necessarily from the perspective of games consumers.

Finally, the simplest explanation is that maybe the PC version still needs just as much work as the console versions.

Realistically, it's most likely due to consoles, considering that they mentioned consoles specifically and that some of those consoles are loving 8 years old.

As far as angering consumers, yes, this would anger console players if it happened. It's nothing compared to what PC players experience, but I guess the catering to console players over PC players will always be a thing until the PC market is more lucrative than the console market.