Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JBP posted:

The devs have said they're working on the character creation being malleable and on top of that having the opportunity to change out cosmetic parts on your robo head. I bet you'll be able to make an absolutely gross PC. I want my first run to have some exposed metal and poo poo. Just 100% terminator mode.

Futurama mods now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/1139337984317149185?s=21

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Julius CSAR posted:

re-pinning cannon plugs loving sucks fyi

typically they are used for electrical power, or major data buses and multi-plexing. The only really good thing about working on B-1s was the fact that it was one of the first aircraft to use heavy multi-plexing and not having to do constant wire maintenance is a really good thing. The plugs with super small pins are usually video lines though "video" could mean anything from the actual video display to the process of converting radar emissions to to little icons. It's all very "low-high-low" tech.

thread content: I can't get enough of this poo poo

I think I'm going to start playing "Uplink: The Hacker Elite" again just to tide myself till this releases. Also gonna watch "H4CKERS" about a million times

This makes me want to finally do a tabletop RPG set in the 90s where hacker characters actually have to go around with 40 pounds of clunky equipment.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Does anyone really want to play Cyberpunk 2077 for anything except the experience of finally having your 90s tabletop groups' experiences replicated in HD?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

frajaq posted:

The second they announced the very limited "classes" you're able to play I had to temper my expectations for this game a lot (like it seems regardless of the Solo/Techie/Netrunner talent trees, you're basically playing a Solo from footage so far), but I'm still REALLY excited for it.

Rip cybercop possibility tho

I thought the thing on "classes" is that there weren't any set classes but there were three skill trees that you could develop to create as well-rounded of a PC as you wanted.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Easier-to-access disc drives on our PCs?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Create a full ARG based around turning a clue in the game box into an install code.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Never forget that Ian Miles Cheong was literally radicalized by someone not giving The Witcher 3 a perfect score.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

sebmojo posted:

they what

He was a woke anti-Gamer Gate guy until someone gave Witcher 3 something like an 8/10 and said it needs a more diverse cast and to use women as props and sex dolls less, at which point he immediately turned around and said Gamer Gate was right. And it was one tiny step from there to "Actually feminism is bad, trans people are crazy, gas the Jews."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

El_Elegante posted:

His take seems to be that you can’t name a gang with women and people of color in it The Animals because it means the author thinks the gang members lack interiority or are inhuman.

But he doesn’t examine what it means for a white man to scold and police the language of people of color, nor does he show a hint of self-awareness.

Aren't all of the gangs made up of a diverse cast?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

El_Elegante posted:

I don’t think there’s enough information to make that determination (that every gang is diverse).

From what little I've been able to see it doesn't look like any group depicted has a homogeneous makeup. Some of them are so cybered up you can barely tell their race or sex.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gonna take a shot in the dark and say that maybe when the black creator says the gang called The Animals isn't meant to be a racist depiction of black people as animals, you can take him at face value instead of handwringing over whether or not he's secretly self-loathing.

Apparently there is one black gang, the Voodoo Boys, but that's because they changed it from the original Cyberpunk 2020 incarnation (white guys stealing another culture to make themselves feel cool) to legitimate Voudon practitioners who speak Creole.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Specifically what got him into hot water is that he replied to a complaint about the cast of his game being 100% white (except for the villainous Cumans, who are basically a faceless evil horde) by sarcastically tweeting a screencap from Black Knight (a movie where Martin Lawrence plays a black guy who gets dropped into the 15th century) and insisting that every single person you encounter in Bohemia being white is actually accurate.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

basicaly some tumblr historian said moors and africans were all over the place in rural bohemia because of some painting of an african saint painted in Prague. he laughed at them and talked about how they used tons of historical data to make the game accurate. like the the dude is a conservative rear end in a top hat but living through the USSR in the czech republic can make you one.

The blog is Medieval POC, which is dedicated to fighting the myth that medieval Europe was entirely white by providing tons of historical artwork and other evidence depicting black people. There's not only statues and paintings of saints and other unique people, but even just paintings depicting crowd scenes in towns and villages with black people casually inserted. This is in addition to the fact that at this point Europe was engaged heavily in trade as far as China and parts of Spain were still controlled by the Moors.

The problem is that he claimed extreme historical accuracy (and in fact marketed the game based on being the most historically accurate medieval game ever) but instead put out something that furthered a racist myth and mocked the more educated people who criticized him.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

I mean the fact that you think that trade with China meant that Chinese traders were apparently traveling to Europe speaks for itself...

That's not what I said. My point is that Europe was hardly just full of white people who would look at a black guy as if he had two heads. Chinese diplomats are believed to have been visiting Europe as far back as the Roman Empire. Merchants, diplomats, explorers, etc. from non-white countries regularly visited these places. There was a lot more cultural exchange in the 1400s than is commonly depicted.

steinrokkan posted:

E: lol, that blog has a picture of nativity with elephants and camels riding around, and the writer claims it's a picture of typical Dutch landscape

No, the writer is explaining who Pieter Brueghel was.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah but the city the game takes place in is at the rear end end of a series of trading routes so it makes way more sense for it to be less diverse and cosmopolitan and also it looks like everyone with a PH.D who weighed in sided with the devs and the blog guy didn’t have any hard data or facts, just a bunch of artistic representations of medieval Europe but nothing to really say about that particular geographic location. Seems, uh, pretty cut and dry to me.

The problem is that sometimes you really need to decide whether you want to do what you're going to do. It's about more than just "Would there be a non-white person in a Bohemian city?" It's that there's a major problem with diversity in medieval fiction, even when it's in fantasy settings, and it's a systemic problem that always gets the "historical accuracy" excuse. Yes, it's perfectly possible that your average adventurer in 15th century Bohemia wouldn't encounter anyone who didn't look like him over the course of his life and it's technically not inaccurate to do that. But it also wouldn't be inaccurate to actually have some diversity and it's a genre that desperately needs a kick in the rear end for it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

I absolutely hear what you’re saying but it’s simply not fair to ask someone to privately redress their own artistic vision for the sake of inclusivity and then to attack them when they decline.

Also wasn’t the game very specifically about someone who was FROM that area, not someone who was just IN that area?

If your artistic vision hinges on having an exclusively white cast except for the Turkic invaders, there's something pretty suspicious about your artistic vision.

And just because the protagonist was a local doesn't mean you can't change anything. He meets a lot of people and fights alongside them. There's nothing stopping you from writing in a foreign diplomat caught up in the invasion, or a Moorish mercenary that joins you and becomes your buddy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ufarn posted:

How were CDPR when it came to fashion and customization in W3? Just wanna know what to expect, if anything.

There were armor and clothing options, but Witcher gear was generally the best so everyone wore it (unless they glitched to keep their bathing towel and do a towel-only playthrough). There were different hairstyles available from barbers, including a drunk one who would gently caress up your haircut. Not as many choices as Fallout or something, but still enough to stay slightly interesting.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Archer666 posted:

You know what'd make me happy? If there WONT be a spidertank anywhere in the game. Getting real tired of those in anything even remotely cyberpunk.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

IShallRiseAgain posted:

A bit late but I want to point out the blog is run by a racist piece of poo poo who claims Romani and Jews aren't real minorities because they have white skin. Also, I want to confirm they are idiots who use paintings as the sole roof of the demographics of Medieval Europe.

Do you have a link?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lt. Lizard posted:

On one hand, it's anime poo poo. On the other hand, given availability of proper cyberware, I bet a huge number of trash people would turn themselves into anime, so it's actually pretty cyberpunk.

How many people in the cyberpunk future do you think will turn themselves into furries?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

I'm the pay phone in 2077

I really would love another game that does like Alien: Isolation and go hard into outdated future tech.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Wasn't it confirmed at some point that the Bozos (Juggalos?) are in the game?

While I would love restructuring them into unironic Juggalos, I would equally love them to stay clowns. Just regular-rear end cartoon clowns in a gritty cyberpunk universe.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Not only does that guy have a torque wrench, but he has torque wrenches? What exactly does a cyberpunk need to torque down? I'd assume a punk just does the ol "tighten til it's loose, then back a quarter turn."

Probably for taking bolts out for removing panels and poo poo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

You never use a torque wrench to loosen something.

Okay it's for putting the panels back on.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://imgur.com/gallery/TFfr5Dy

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Maggot Soup posted:

An entire soundtrack of synthwave is going to get old quick.

No it won't.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'm gonna make my V an older gentleman with grey hair and for some reason that means muting the in game music and playing Depeche mode.

Every game with diegetic music needs to be like GTA and let you put your own music in a folder to play.

GTA Online got way more fun when I was blaring Coheed & Cambria and Rush during car chases.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

All synthwave playlists must include Gunship.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Carpenter Brut is the synthwave dude. He’s the Led Zeppelin of the genre.

I’m a big fan of Gunship. They’re a little less traditional and have more focus on vocals. “Dark All Day” is utterly fantastic and includes the saxophone guy from The Lost Boys.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

puve posted:

But I don't know of any specifically "cyberpunk" music and I'd like to if it exists

For some reason "cyberpunk" is permanently tied in my head to the 90s cyberpunk aesthetic where you've got future payphones and people with leather jackets, mohawks, and sunglasses jacking head cables into computers to hack. So that also means 90s techno to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI-Takf76RY

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SniperWoreConverse posted:

This grenade launcher seems insanely cyberpunk to me. Like insanely so. This is some poo poo that would be in the future parts of the terminator or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHbqHx3TLBE

South Africa is nuts. Arms embargoes led to a lot of innovation by native designers who weren’t content with just illegally copying Berettas.

https://youtu.be/1FMeG60vLfQ

https://youtu.be/Jm4M7RVOEm0

https://youtu.be/dg0WSvH5yl4

https://youtu.be/nXZ4Mztpx-4

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh yeah, Forgotten Weapons did a video on the cyberpunk gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGKcvM2Hh4g

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Gun Jesus is the only good gun person and everyone should watch his videos

Karl from his other channel, InRange, is good too. They do a lot of videos on stuff like the Underground Railroad and how the government oppressed Native Americans.

Yankee Marshal used to be good, but when Trump got elected he started drifting to the right.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Back Hack posted:

Largely because the stockpile of ammo made for these guns was hand made, which meant any mistake to the round would thow it off course. They had a handful machined factory rounds made when they sent it for military trial that supposedly fixed the problem, but none are known to still exist to test whether this is true or not.

There was also a production run where a large amount of ammo was made with one of the exhaust holes partially closed, causing the rocket exhaust to spin the bullet wildly off-course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJAXpyt8-oQ

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shooting Blanks posted:

Eh, I doubt it. They could just fabricate one and use FX to cover the shots. A bigger issue might be that it is distinctly an HK product and HK may be sue happy over it. Don't know that for sure but it seems likely

Demolition Man included a G11 mock-up made from a real prototype loaned to the production.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh poo poo, I just remembered a cyberpunk gun did get adopted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez4DPz-Eo88

So you know the XM-29 OICW? Gigantic combination of an assault rifle and a semi-auto 20mm grenade launcher with an electronic sight for airburst grenades. The US declared it too expensive and too heavy, so the project got split into two parts. The XM8 assault rifle got sold to the Royal Malaysian Navy but otherwise has no success at all. The XM25 grenade launcher got limited use by the US, but budget cuts got the project canceled again.

South Korea said "gently caress that".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEP70tU-Vdc&t=224s

They put a nearly identical gun into service as the K11.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Neurosis posted:

Thanks, I was unaware this channel existed - I know very little about guns but am still enjoying it. The USFA ZiP .22 gun is particularly hilarious. It has the looks to be in a near-future game, preferably as a terrible joke, random chance of blowing your fingers off while trying to use the charging bolts.

The ZiP .22 is firearm history for all the wrong reasons.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If it’s anything like Skyrim, I’m fine. All of my characters have radically different specializations unless I make a Dragonborn going for 100% completion so I don’t feel like I’m missing out if my Two-Handed or Speech skill is lacking. There’s always a way through.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I still say any game that lets you play music in-universe needs to let you make a custom playlist. GTA and MGS V did it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Qmass posted:

Saw that the guy that did the 2012 dredd OST is doing music for cyberpunk. I don't remember if that was especially amazing music but it was a good movie and if they are cribbing poo poo out of it for cyberpunk I reckon thats a good thing. Plenty of relevant stuff in that movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWfVfwz7rTM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-iZgkkGuME

It's a very unique sound.