Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

They probably should have made a rule that any body-modifications had to be installed prior to the contest announcement because some idiot is totally implanting himself with LEDs right now...
:psylon:

It's a social experiment!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I funded my praxis kits in the slums of Prague purely through pawning "secondhand" shotguns and machine pistols given to me by friendly criminals.

Having to sell them one at a time, making...numerous...trips back to various party locations because picking up more than one would just result in more shotgun ammo was a bit of a chore, I will admit.

So the real question is this: did you need to do this to reasonably progress, or were you just trying to max out your character? Because it's a problem if the game requires you to do back-and-forth busywork over and over just to progress normally, but if you start hoovering up everything valuable to buy every single upgrade you can as fast as you can, that's on you.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CrazyLoon posted:

If you believe Blade Runner, it's likely more expensive too.

That's basically every cyberpunk thing now. Once you get to entire countries covered in urban sprawl, trees become really expensive to keep.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SplitSoul posted:

A huge part of it in GTA is also the anemic sounds. Weirdly the rest of the sound design is on point. Back before they started banning people for modding even in single-player, I used a realistic gun sounds mod that basically turned the game into a scene from HEAT.

Sound is loving crucial. If your gun sounds powerful, your brain will interpret it that way regardless of stats. Same with lots of effects when you hit the environment, like dust clouds and stuff breaking.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I fell off The Division hard from the gunplay. Low recoil, poor sounds, no reactions from hits, people in hoodies taking a dozen rounds from an MP5 to kill. It was like an airsoft gun.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also even if the Witcher combat isn’t the most perfect system ever devised, it’s got great animations and enough complexity and strategy to be interesting beyond “hit two attack buttons until you win.” It has the feel of a dark, rough Eastern European fantasy novel.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CrazyLoon posted:

I am pretty certain the controversies will keep going upon launch of this game, no matter what's done in response to them before said launch or how carefully an issue would be handled in a world that has, fundamentally, normalized violence and blatant corporate marketing without scrupules (though by the time it does launch, I'll likely not hang around places like this anymore anyway and just play the game). That said, I am also legit glad to hear they responded with a revised character creation with just that one detail changed, as opposed to going down the Ion Maiden dev route. Just a bit of attention paid that way TBH tells a lot when nowadays you can get said public ranting, or just stonewalling with bullshit and nothing done.

More specifically to the above...that's kind of one of the main problems I've always found with Deus Ex lore - in that it has a lot of references to evil corporations, but most of it is anecdotal or relegated to conspiracy theories due to media manipulation and pretense still alive and well, while in Cyberpunk everyone knows through the Corporate Wars that the powers at the top have even stopped pretending to care about anyone they influence, world included, and will use violence to solve problems the moment they can use their money to justify it. So it's not too far of a stretch to view corps and the cops they bribe to make 'legal' arrests as having no more legitimacy than a gang with morals and rules to uphold them.

Ask any resident of Chicago and they'll probably laugh at the idea of cops being good guys just doing their job.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ymgve posted:

It would be cool if you could decouple it from the voice too, but having a separate option with "preferred pronouns" or something with only male/female options would piss people off again due to the obvious lack of a third option. (And a third option would require re-recording of a ton of voice lines, so that's not gonna be done at this stage in the development)

After the controversy that's already occurred, there's basically nothing CD Projekt Red could do that would actually satisfy the people getting pissed at them except remaking the entire game from scratch.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

reading various threads from various places. most people seems happy with this change. even resetera is overall pretty happy about it.

The IOSM thread in PYF has people mad that they're not openly apologizing for every misstep and working with GLAAD to make their game as inclusive as possible. Not an exaggeration, that was actually what they "need to do" according to some people.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mokinokaro posted:

To be fair, the Baron actually knows he's a lovely person and the entire questline to get to that point is Geralt forcing the Baron to acknowledge how horrible of a person he is. I can see how it can be read the way you have, but I read it as a man who knows he hosed up in every way possible and he's trying to correct the one mistake he may have hope to. Not necessarily to get her back in any way, but for her sake. It's very open ended and morally grey which is pretty much Witcher in a nutshell. Given how most quests with a redemptive ending tended to end positively, I'm assuming that was the writers' intention here as well.

Also, it's hilarious watching the hardcore chuds melt down over this because they thought CDPR was on their side thanks to that horrible PR guy they used to have.

I think the problem people have with it is they can't understand that humanizing a villain isn't the same as making you think they're in the right. The Baron has both good and bad to him, but the bad poo poo he did was really bad. You're not meant to look at his sorrow and repentance and decide that he deserves a happy ending or that what he did wasn't that bad. You're meant to understand him as a complex person and get him to admit to his faults so he can put things right, but you don't have to like him afterward.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean isn't be basicaly just a termerian sergeant who decided to play warlord and the nilfgardians and the radanians let him because they could give less of gently caress. like he was never a great person but power made him worse.

Yeah. He and his men just occupied an abandoned castle and started ruling the peasants around them by virtue of having the most swords on his side. He wants to become an official nobleman if he does well enough, but he's just an alcoholic jackass squatting in the ruins.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Avalerion posted:

Any reason they wouldn't have he or she it's own checkbox instead of tying that to voice?

Because in the end, making perfect gender inclusiveness that fits every single preference the players have isn't what matters the most about making a good video game. There is no solution that will make every customer perfectly happy, even with infinite resources and time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This game is already going far above and beyond almost everything else on the market when it comes to LGBT inclusiveness. There's probably no other game of its prominence being released in 2020 that's providing these kinds of options and treating it as a normal thing rather than a gag. It's an excellent sign of how far society has come in just a few years. Don't whip yourself into a frenzy debating whether they're still bad for not going far enough.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/RaeofSun95/status/1087191329019478016

Very trustworthy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what i am curious about is how branching the narrative will be. remember witcher 2 and how depending on choices, you could be playing two different story lines basically. witcher 3 had some of that too, though not to a drastic extent. i am sorta thinking of siding with the netwatch agent. since i am pretty sure the AI will eat the voodoo boys brains.

Probably as much or more, especially since even your start is different depending on character creation.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

What’s a good source to get the 2020 books?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Witcher 3 is one of maybe 3 medieval fantasy games I’ve ever really enjoyed, as I normally hate the genre. The writing, voice acting, characterization, humor, and music are so good that I just didn’t care that it was outside my genre.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Not really, they're made sterile as a by-product of their mutations and they're also immune to disease. No pheromones, just people putting two and two together to figure out that they make for good consequence free sex. But like, it's hardly a conceit necessary for sex scenes.

Let's be real, we would all gently caress Geralt.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I missed this edit earlier, but if you're looking for Morrowind-style "another life" (and jankiness :shobon:), have you tried Kingdom Come: Deliverance?

That's the first game since Morrowind or Stalker that really felt like the NPCs were playing the same game as the PC. It also, thanks to using satellite mapping for the gameworld, has the most amazing "sense of place" of any game I've ever played.

Also the forests... :swoon:

That's one of the things I'm hopeful (but not expectant) for in CP77: that the world is a place and that the NPCs have routines outside of their player interactions. I remember last year's E3 video mentioned and showed police holo-taping off a crime scene and recreating it. It would be so cool if the different factions had (toned-down) Farcry 5 type random encounter/interactions and shootouts which were then investigated and recreated by the NPC police.

I doubt the NPCs could be as detailed as the false-lives that KC:D or Bethesda games have, but even a GTA-style faction system would be cool. Probably expecting waaaaaaay too much with that, however.
:sun:

On the other hand, the lead dev is probably a racist and all their claims of "historical accuracy" are bullshit to anyone who knows stuff about the real setting.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lars Blitzer posted:

Didn't jump in on supporting GamerGate for some reason as well while the game was still in development hell?

Yep. He's always stayed just a smidgen on the other side of the line but you can tell he's struggling not to let everyone know how much of a piece of poo poo he actually is.

They even admitted to fudging historical accuracy on stuff like furniture and food because they thought too much authenticity could confuse the audience, and their food and drink section in the codex gets over half of the info really wrong while repeating some common historic myths. It's obvious that for a lot of stuff they just did surface-level research and didn't question anything that sounded weird or dumb.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, the “multiple system” thing is just a mentally ill person with severe mood swings, dissociation, and an unstable identity applying separate personalities to their changes in mental state.

A girl I know with BPD from severe childhood abuse once went into another personality in the car with me because dissociating was her brain coping with extreme stress and had no memory of it occurring. It’s loving disturbing, not a fun quirk.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Imagine having that level of charisma all the time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Trans people want that too.

The game allows you to have a trans-coded character without having to explicitly say "You are transgender."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Humerus posted:

Volition also had info from Saints Row 3 and 4 and they said not only do most people not customize the character, most people also never change clothes during their game. Which is crazy to me because when I can change clothes in a game I do so frequently. In GTA 5 I changed clothes between every mission (and got pissed when the game would put my character in clothes I didn't want to wear).

I do like to have my character change clothes or maintain a schedule in an RPG on replays to see how the game plays differently (there's a lot of detail in GTA that you miss by just speeding between missions), but it's also common for people to just want to play the drat game. Especially if the gender doesn't matter for the story, most of your audience will be content with mashing the "Yes" button until they get to the gameplay.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The market at large also doesn't necessarily agree with the most vocal assholes. Alien: Isolation has you playing as a woman with limited combat skills and it sold over 2 million copies in 6 months. Tomb Raider has a whole series behind it and complaints about Lara not being as much of a caricature hasn't stopped the reboot from getting 3 games. I don't remember seeing any vocal controversy over Control. Most people just don't give a poo poo, and if you give them an option to customize their character they're more likely than not to just skip through and use the default so they can get to the gameplay.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Look Sir Droids posted:

Same. Even in RPGs that don't have a set player character where I can customize everything and use my own name. I'm not the Dragonborn or even the New Vegas courier.

I've definitely spent most of my RPG time lately doing replays with different characters. The Fallout and Elder Scrolls games are really good for roleplaying specific character types with the sheer amount of content. It gets even easier with alternative start mods that drop you elsewhere and let you start the game with content that would normally take a while to get to.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Collapsing Farts posted:

"BioWare has come under fire for perceived misrepresentations of a transgender person due to the character initially volunteering information about her pretransition name"

One of the Steven Universe animators transitioned, and there was actually offense when some fans asked for what their name used to be because they couldn't figure out who it was (all of their work was credited under their former name). Some people get really weird about dead naming to the point where even acknowledging that they weren't always called this is considered offensive. Homosexuality isn't as big a deal anymore in media, but trans inclusiveness is a unique minefield because nobody, least of all transgender people, can agree on how it should be and you're accused of transphobia by at least one side if you make a perceived misstep.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

VoLaTiLe posted:

Wow this thread is educational so if John turns into Julia, calling him John is dead naming

"Dead naming" in theory is intentionally referring to someone who's transitioned by their previous name, as it's often used to delegitimize their transition and dysphoria. Some people take it so far as to claim that it's offensive to even acknowledge that they had a different name before or let people know who they're referring to after a transition if the person only knew them before they transitioned, which just leads to a lot of unnecessary conflict and yelling.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If you haven’t read my thread on RP1, it introduced a lot of people to the book who had ignored it. It’s godawful poo poo, about as compelling as listening to an autistic nerd recite facts about Pac-Man and his theories on masturbation.

Also there’s an extended rambling segment about how masturbation allowed nerds to invent science because they couldn’t get laid otherwise. The book just stops to tell you this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

RP1 came out in 2011 and is set in 2044.

That's a pretty good summation of the book - it's a half-baked power fantasy that keeps getting stopped dead by the things the author actually wanted to talk about.

Can you link to your thread? I think I might have read it but I want to look at it again.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851602&perpage=40

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If Ernest Cline wrote Pacific Rim’s novelization each fight would take up a page or two and most of the book would be the characters making pop culture references and half a chapter about the effects of pre-battle masturbation on Drifting.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I reread my thread and forgot that Wade had watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail 157 times. That’s 10 days straight of just sitting in front of a TV with the movie on a loop.

And that’s only the most extreme of his “I watched this dozens of times” mentions. None of it is presented as a bad thing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cyberpunk becoming just about the aesthetic is how we got every “___punk” genre. Steampunk was named that way because the art style reminded people of cyberpunk art with all the futuristic stuff swapped out for Victorian aesthetics.

At the same time, trying to classify “true cyberpunk” is as pointless as classifying “true punk.” Everyone has a different definition and everyone who disagrees is fake.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Every time I see RDR2 on sale I think about buying it but then I think about how the game forces you into a long animation every time you loot a body, clean an animal, clean your gun, etc. and I just feel tired.

It's not really a traditional third-person action game, more like an immersive RPG occasionally broken up by combat (which is usually very short outside the missions). Skinning animals takes a while because you're not meant to just farm 50 skins to sell back at camp. It's more like you bag a deer and two birds or rabbits through slow and methodical tracking, strap them to your horse, and ride back to camp before they decompose. You should get into looting every body you can just to give yourself an advantage with ammo and money, but it's not outright necessary to excel at the game (and sometimes you can't because the law will show up at the site of a huge gunfight after a while and you need to bolt). You're expected to spend a lot of time just talking to people or listening to them, or wandering off to explore noises and interesting sights in the distance. There's nothing fast about it, which is intentional.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You're just describing any given open world game but with more busywork.

None of the stuff I described is required to actually complete the game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cactus posted:

How would playing RDR2 feel after coming off a session of Warframe?

Imagine that you're a professional sprinter. Now tie a 20-pound weight to every limb.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RDR2 is closer in feel to something like LA Noire than GTA or Witcher. It’s a slow character drama with gunfights.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Blind Rasputin posted:

Wasn’t there actually a ton of hidden stuff in GTA V though? I thought I remember reading articles about these crazy puzzles involving bits all over the map that spawned Bigfoot or an alien invasion, or something. But yeah I do actually agree that it takes a ton of stress off the player to know the game isn’t relying on you searching every nook and cranny for *resource* or upgrade. I’m playing A Plague’s Tale right now, love it, but if you aren’t scouring every single environment you miss a ton of stuff. Too often. Games without that, and with a more evolved way of finding loot or secrets, always end up feeling so much more mature.

Yeah, GTA V actually had a lot of stuff. It's just that the map itself is very large so there really are wide swathes of land that legitimately have nothing in them except the scenery. But you can find collectibles, peyote trips, and weird incidents out of nowhere.

One of my favorites is the Duke o' Death. It's just a black car with some armor on it that you find parked at a convenience store in the desert. If you steal it, you can keep it...if you can survive being attacked by a bunch of trucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzVju3KjDJ0&t=701s

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There's also the really annoying trait of tying "collectibles" into making the game easier, to the extent of being semi-mandatory. This is something Ubisoft is really bad at because they try to pack their open world games with as much content as they can hold. You've got the towers in Far Cry 3 and 4 that you need to climb to unlock free guns and make the map more useful, or the treasure hunts and diving in Assassin's Creed IV to let you find important ship upgrades (there are some encounters that are virtually impossible without an upgraded ship, like the legendary ships). It makes you spend a lot of time on busywork, often repetitive, so you don't end up at a disadvantage as you progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There's also way more stuff to find in GTA V in the wilderness and hidden in urban areas than in San Andreas or GTA IV.

I actually got curious once and tested how long it would take to cross from one corner of the map to the opposite in San Andreas and IV, both by car and by aircraft, and was surprised to find that it takes about the same amount of time! San Andreas feels much bigger because it has large open areas with highways to speed travel where necessary (whereas Liberty City is urban and harder to get through), slower cars, and judicious use of short draw distances to conceal the size of the map. If you use a mod to remove the fog, you'll find that the map is actually cartoonishly small.

San Andreas could actually be considered a triumph of map design. It really makes you feel like you're crossing huge distances in the isolated desert and traveling through big cities, just because it's designed well and you can't see the whole picture.