Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

@Chitoryu I’m only asking because it seems germane: what, if any, mental or emotional support does your job provide you if you are expected to watch horribly violent accidental deaths for work? Do you get a counselor or a therapist or a debrief or any kind of mental health support whatsoever?

Absolutely none, which is the same situation as the game studio I'm criticizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

alex314 posted:

I wonder if we'll find other drink recipes than "Johnny Silverhand". Also which ending adds "V" as a new choice.

I hope so. Elder Scrolls Online has a list of mead recipes (along with a distilled product and a fermented molasses drink) that appear to be legit homebrew recipes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Far Cry 3 and 4 had something like that. Along with crafting components you found junk that existed only to be sold, but each item had a description of what it was and potentially a hint as to how it got there (like I think poker chips came from a passing cruise ship that presumably got attacked by the pirates).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ShakeZula posted:

At last, I have found safety in numbers

I'm going to assume like 2 people actually got the joke and the rest of us have just been quietly waiting for someone to explain it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1281594925612703744

have fun with the new shitshow. resetera is legit talking about banning discusion of the game now.

but also lol at this

https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1281577553594060801

I see nothing wrong with any of this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Disco Elysium is the best game but it’s also so loving draining emotionally. It’s a game that drives you to the bottle.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

side_burned posted:

Fallout New Vegas did that and its my biggest complaint about that game.

New Vegas has solid skill gates because they designed every quest so that the skills aren't necessary for completing the game. If your skills aren't high enough to meet a check, you just find an alternate method of completing it. If you're so low in everything that failure is inevitable, you take the loss and move on. This guy has beaten New Vegas with just about every gimmick imaginable and you can beat the game even at level 1 (which requires him to de-level himself because he'll naturally level up just completing mandatory quests and defending himself).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-OWVmbXlLE

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zikan posted:

Disco Elysian has the one of the best written and edited scripts in all of video game history. It has faith in its systems, it will often roll checks for incidental dialogue from your thoughts and not even inform you of some if you fail and drawing a wrong thought or conclusion wouldn’t make sense with a lack of knowledge, skill, or interest. This allows every play through to truly feel unique as long as you choose different skills.

It also takes the daring move of having your skill checks not be "I win if this is high enough" buttons. Because they're all aspects of your brain and personality, they will gladly direct you toward wrong or dangerous choices because they personally want that to be what happens. Got your Physical Instrument skill up really high so you can bash down doors? Great! Now it'll tell you that might makes right and you need to just punch people if they don't do what you want! It'll even gladly give you skill checks to do that whether or not it's the appropriate response!

Lexorin posted:

I don't mind skill gates. The issue is when devs insist on showing you what you could have said had your skill been higher. Don't show me that poo poo, if I don't have 10 point in intimation then don't show me the "Gimmie your stuff or beatings! (Intimidation 10)" dialogue option. That just triggers FOMO and it's a lovely thing to do. Additionally, leaving it out allows you some surprise in future playthroughs with different skills.

And the great part is New Vegas doesn't do that! It gives you alternate dialogue if your skill is too low so you can pick it anyway and say something funny and dumb.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Really, Skyrim is just medieval GTA because it has horses.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

wit posted:

It was actually disorientating to both be sucky level wise and completely unfamiliar with the fps QWOP controls. You didn't know if you were poo poo because of controls or poo poo on purpose. It was both. I bet a LOT of people never got past the tutorial because of it. (and because the actual learning part of the game is about 10 hours long) Great for immersion, bad, bad way to win over new players.

I did two runs of KC:D (because I spent so long not playing I forgot the controls and starting from scratch was the only way to learn such dumb fighting again). The first time, I beat the opening fistfight by accident without knowing what I was doing. The second time, vaguely remembering, I lost.

KC:D is a game by a dumbass white supremacist who thinks that a game being bad to play is realistic, then fills his "codex" with a ton of long disproven myth and redesigns his armor references to look cooler while claiming that he's done tons of research and gotten historians to make the most historically accurate game ever.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HiroProtagonist posted:

Wait what's this referring to?

My particular specialty is food and beverage history, and the codex gets a lot of poo poo wrong. Like repeating the long-debunked claim that all medieval people drank beer and wine because all the water was too toxic, while also bizarrely claiming that medieval beer was a thick porridge full of solids (something that's said about ancient beers, like from Mesopotamia, and also not necessarily true all the time even back then). That's one very blatant example, but in general their "expert research" comes off as them doing a brief Google search and using the first one or two sources.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HiroProtagonist posted:

Huh, that's a shame. I intuited that a lot of that stuff seemed exaggerated but that's pretty egregious, especially since the game is supposed to in part be some kind of expression of Czech pride. You'd think they'd want to get their beer history down pat.

This is another example of a really good deep dive into the inaccurate armor seen in the game. They even had actual examples as reference, but modified a bunch of poo poo or took pieces from different countries and eras to look "cooler."

Nobody would even care about the inaccuracies that much if the devs hadn't been bragging about making the most super accurate video game ever, which just encourages people to check. That and the lead dev always seeming like he's right on the verge of saying a racial slur but knows people are watching.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SniperWoreConverse posted:

What's a good thing to look at for ancient era boozes. I know there's that hymn for brewing beer & filtering it but is there a place where I can read up on this stuff? Did they have other alcohols than just beer back then?

That's a very broad question! The answer is wildly different depending on era and location. I'm much more knowledgeable about English brewing than Bohemian in this time so some of my statements might not be 100% accurate to the game setting.

For the area and timeframe KC:D takes place (1403 Bohemia), beer/ale was indeed the beverage of choice. It's unclear how prevalent hops were at this time, but they had already made it to England by this time period so they almost definitely had it. Hops spread gradually from Germany starting around the 11th century so you'd likely have a mixture of beers made with hops and beers made with gruit (a mix of herbs, spices, barks, roots, etc.). The difference in English terminology at the time is that "beer" came from the German word for the beverage, so you would call a gruit drink "ale" and a hopped drink "beer." England eventually switched almost completely to hops by the 16th century due to the huge influx of continental travelers demanding beer similar to what they had at home.

In this time period, yeast was unknown as a microorganism. They had a vague understanding of its existence but generally thought it was an inorganic chemical reaction of some sort. You could start it up by reusing some of the leftover solids from the previous batch (similar to a sourdough starter), or you could let it ferment with wild yeast (as seen in the lambics of Belgium) that naturally floats in the air along with other bacteria. The malt was also usually dried by smoking before brewing, which was inconsistent until the Industrial Revolution. Thus a beer or ale from this period would likely be at least slightly sour and/or smoky in flavor, with a gruit ale being highly herbal as well. Most of it was relatively low in alcohol, potentially even less than Bud Light, as it was meant as a daily source of calories and nutrition for workers, but you could certainly brew to a higher alcohol content.

Wine also existed in this region, though I'd imagine it was more expensive than beer unless you lived at the vineyard (it was common in wine countries like Italy for wine rather than beer to be the common drink). While I don't know exactly how prevalent distilled spirits were in this region and timeframe, I do know that the first regulations restricting spirit sales due to problems with overconsumption would appear just a few decades later in Germany. I think the 1420s? I need to check the book again.

For beer specifically I recommend The Oxford Companion to Beer. Not all of it is 100% accurate with modern knowledge, but it's the quintessential encyclopedia for people serious about beer and includes a ton about the history of the various styles. If you want to try a beer from this period, look for sahti (a Finnish farmhouse ale that's one of the very few styles still brewed today since medieval times) or something specifically labeled as a gruit ale. Or a Belgian lambic from one of the old breweries.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sweet. I was thinking of growing my own gruits, maybe next year.

Anything about Mesopotamian? I am sorta surprised they drank it hearty chunky style

So the first thing is they had straws. There's artwork depicting them sitting around a large jar of beer with long straws to drink from it, thousands of years before straws would become common in the world. Chhaang, a native millet beer of Tibet and Nepal, is still drank this way. But during my research, I actually found an image of a beer jug (I think it was Babylonian?) that had filter holes and a trough-like spout for pouring. So there's certainly a possibility that they were pouring semi-filtered beer into other containers.

Take a look at native African beers like umqombothi and Chibuku Shake-Shake for ideas of what the ancient stuff was like.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

space marine todd posted:

the classes should have just been different keanu roles throughout the years

point break
matrix
john wick
something's gotta give (???)

Look at you not having Bill & Ted on here.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

space marine todd posted:

there are so many good movies to choose from

cyberpunk constatine? yes

Constantine is a good movie and I will fight over it forever.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Inspector Gesicht posted:

That concept art fits with some other map that was drawn up, but the whole city looks small, like a city for ants. Probably because you can traverse the whole thing unlike a closed-experience such as Midgar.

Was it Hitman Blood Money that set the bar for huge crowds with its Mardi Gras level?

Yes and no. The Mardi Gras level looks impressive but most of the NPCs don't do anything except walk around. You can slaughter the entire crowd and there will still be stragglers calmly walking over the corpses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vP4Rr930ZY

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

feedmyleg posted:

I'll be curious to see that 2077/Red are doing in this regard. From a lot of the footage I've seen it seems to be played relatively straight, which definitely makes it feel retro and less relevant to our current fears of the bad roads tech could lead our current world down today. I see the satire in those advertisements and in some gameplay moments, but I wonder about the balance and to what degree it'll feel inextricably tied to the original work and its era.

The emphasis on the corruption and power of corporations will undoubtedly still ring true today, and possibly for years afterward. As exaggerated as the game is, it's still showing the kind of future you mentioned: one that extrapolates from real, modern fears about where we could end up as a society.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

If they're under the same umbrella: all the time. But if the companies aren't related: not at all. Big corporations have gigantic "War Rooms" with a half dozen college grads and interns who have a Situation Room-style wall-of-screens with every social media site on it and every mention/sub-tweet of the brand on display.

Wasn’t the issue with their last social media guy being that it actually was just them hiring one person and not paying attention to his posts?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GTA Online was enjoyable like, 3 years ago. When you had a good number of heists, it wasn't really hard to get the extra content, and every server wasn't completely infested with hackers causing explosions and container ships to spawn on every player. You could set up a custom playlist and enjoy the drive to a mission.

Now Rockstar is fully mask off and openly doesn't give a poo poo about anything except whales hemorrhaging money at them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Xander77 posted:

One of these days we're going to get a game where anyone shot with anything does the reasonable thing and falls down in pain. It will be interesting.

That's all the Euphoria-using games from Rockstar, from GTA IV onward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxJsLQ72cg4

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

Games either do nothing or go full ragdoll, both of which are really unrealistic. I guess technically something like counter strike's aim punch would be the most "accurate" thing to have?

Hate to say it, but the full ragdoll like you see in Half-Life 2 is actually completely realistic for an instant kill.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

marshmallow creep posted:

A pretty good video on the history of the gun and it goes into the internals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGKcvM2Hh4g

Forgotten Weapons has done a bunch of classic cyberpunk guns and guns that belong in cyberpunk settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21qZpSJp5W0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFANjlr4I9Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez4DPz-Eo88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te2IqFbRR7A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1W8iz8DyRw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td8RC40mTrs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VKGhqIl4Gw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7hX2jWw8cU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGa2ZqyqbXQ

And occasionally he gets to shoot them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNB_2hih31I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIU8axpaYi0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHbqHx3TLBE

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That grenade launcher is cyberpunk as gently caress

Rheinmetall tried to join.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Weapon is more to defend against opportunistic individuals than trying to singlehandedly take on whatever local mujahid orgs are killing each other or the nominal government. My partners father lived on a rural farm and having to fire warning shots to stop people stealing your sheep was apparently a pretty normal occurrence. As was receiving warning shots back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHeSC_Ws5Ic

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/cyberpunkgame/status/1301238572427640833?s=21

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

I don't know how complex GTAO is now but that's basically all it was at launch.

Now it's basically the same thing but with more widgets and everything purposefully costs so much money that it's tailored toward getting you to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on "micro" transactions to access all the content. Also every server is just hackers ruining people's games.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ShakeZula posted:

Yeah a lot of those sidequests feel like the main quest because they're a) really good and b) woven very organically into the structure of the main quest. The Kingmaker quest and the mage exodus are both great examples, in that after I finished the game I was surprised to learn there were distinct game paths for simply ignoring them.

Yeah, this is one of the things that made Witcher 3 so unique and successful. For one, you're playing an established character who has two prior games and a bunch of books in his backstory. Roleplaying options to change his personality completely are necessarily limited (unlike a game where you play a complete cipher decided on by the player, like New Vegas), but they still found ways to make it work without letting Geralt go completely out of character. It's pretty rare for an RPG player character to have such a following as Geralt in the fanbase, and that says a lot to his writing and voice acting.

The other is that CDPR really tried to make the entire game worthwhile. I still haven't beaten Witcher 3 just because everything is so engrossing that I end up playing to the point of exhaustion and not getting past Novigrad. It's not that the game is boring, but that there's just so much awesome content that I put dozens of hours into it without thinking and get burned out. It's legitimately hard to dedicate myself to sitting down on a regular basis and playing one thing every day until it's finished when there's just so much to do. At least with something like Skyrim I can take the "Fetch me 5 rare items" quests and turn off their markers so I can forget about the random poo poo I accidentally added to my quest log.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

But like I said, Payday is a game where you rob banks to become a more successful criminal, and even involves boosting cars. But the way you play the game is what determines its genre, not the story.

You could have a turn based strategy game that's about people robbing banks and becoming criminals (check out Empire of Sin) and that's nothing like GTA because its how you play that really matters.

Both Cyberpunk and Deus Ex and GTA all involve walking around and shooting, but the way they play overall is pretty different. It IS a big city, and you do drive around, but the driving has been criticized in previews so far. Its not the focus of the game. Story, dialogue, skill points and character customization, those are the focus of Cyberpunk, in different ways than you do anything similar in GTA.

I don't consider Witcher 3 to be similar to GTA. They both have a big world and quests, but the overall gameplay is pretty different. But definitely its not all or nothing here, there are similarities. I just don't think people should expect quite the scale of GTA's level of driving around.

Which to me is fine, I like Deus Ex more than GTA overall anyways. And games that try to be the ultimate "everything game" end up like Star Citizen. But I'd love to find out that the driving is actually sweet and you can spend all day racing cars, I just don't expect that to be the case. I expect to get caught up in the story and characters.

Question: why do we care about all of these comparisons and whether or not GTA fans will exclusively play GTA clones?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also note that Disco Elysium will suddenly become extremely emotionally draining and you probably won’t see it coming until it’s too late. It’s funny as hell too and it’s a legit detective game, but it makes you hurt. You will cry.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Late to the music discussion, but a bunch of DE fans also got together and made a song for the game that's actually really nice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsU4p4jwnBU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

black.lion posted:

So what defines cyberpunk as a genre? Someone mentioned biohacking, where do the Culture books land in this spectrum?

At its core, cyberpunk was punk. It's a generally left-wing anti-establishment genre that tries to realistically examine how future technology can be used to harm and dehumanize people and provide even greater class inequality than currently exists. This is why cyberpunk has such a focus on the grungy lower classes: it was specifically going against the grain of utopian sci-fi, or sci-fi that otherwise showed an unrealistic or idealized world where everyone is benefitting from an insane level of technology. It was about showing how the rich would just use it to trod on everyone else.

Unfortunately, most cyberpunk has since just turned into an aesthetic of neon, mohawks, etc. and people unironically copy the aesthetic to look cool even in real life without realizing what they're emulating.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

sean10mm posted:

This just reminded me what absolute poo poo Bioshock Infinite was.

At least in Bioshock you could sort of see a critique of libertarian bullshit in there if you squinted had enough.

Who needed to squint? The game was blaring in your face the entire time that Rapture was a scam doomed to failure.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Swedish Horror posted:

love to see blatant transphobic caricatures just tweeted out by a major game studio

No, go away.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Because then you’d get people complaining that somehow everyone knows your pronouns on the spot whether or not they’ve seen you before. This is the perfect example of a problem with no solution that will please everyone.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Capn Beeb posted:

Nah, not really.

And yet the exact same fight happens every few months over it. Or someone complaining about the dick ad and having to have it explained that you’re not supposed to see it as a sexy cool thing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chalks posted:

It's extremely unlikely that the pc is referred to with gendered pronouns in the English voice acting since it's so simple to avoid.

As for other heavily gendered languages, if you don't see how recording the entire game dialog twice is a lot of effort then I'm not sure what to say

The gameplay demos have enemies using gendered pronouns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I am never going to be surprised that, like clockwork, people who don't get dystopias and think that everything being presented is supposed to be considered acceptable and good by the creators show up and proceed to profoundly misunderstand every message.