Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

So about that video game...

I'm still looking forward to it. How about you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Cactus posted:

I don't know anything about Cyberpunk 2020/2077 lore so can anyone that does tell me: is there a character build in the tabletop games that can move around the environment like a Warframe?

I've been digging into the 2020 books lately, because RED isn't out yet and Shadowrun is a loving trash fire. I haven't dug deep enough to say.

A hyperkinetic ninja is definitely possible in Shadowrun, though a large part of that is because CGL hasn't a loving clue.

One is probably doable in this video game, assuming the general mechanics of the long gameplay video from a couple years ago hold true.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Cactus posted:

I only ask because in games where I can choose different builds I tend to go for high-mobility if it's a choice - the monk in Diablo or the Dash-master charm in Hollow Knight for example. I like running rings around opponents getting in and out fast and getting from a to b quickly.

I'm getting the impression that the Cyberpunk setting leans towards the more realistic end of the sci-fi scale and not the fantastical? Like, I think I read somewhere that a single gunshot can outright kill an opponent if it hits an artery or head just like irl, and I'm wondering if that will be ported over to the game also.

Cyberpunk as a setting definitely leans more toward the realistic end of the sci-fi scale, yes. That said, the tabletop game absolutely supports mobility-focused characters and I see no reason the videogame wouldn't!

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

moxieman posted:

My dude there are states in the US today where it’s legal for anyone to concealed carry, no permit required.

And in the lolbertarian ancap future hellscape of most cyberpunk media, this is true everywhere.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

As this point the fiction of Cyberpunk isn't all that far from reality - at least the crappier parts.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Firebert posted:

If Ciri isn't a sidequest NPC in this game, I will consider it a failure

CDPR has specifically said that Ciri doesn't appear in Cyberpunk 2077.

It's possible that there will be an easter egg mentioning her, but Ciri herself isn't.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

I wasn't able to get into MD and I think HR is one of my fave games of all time.

My problem was that the motivation for Jensen in HR is completely in line with what I want to be doing. I want to save my Dr. Wife, and i want to John Wick the cyborg terrorists who killed my dog! The enemies are mercenary PMC groups that I have no ethical dilemma with killing because they were obviously openly hostile and trying to kill me and my friends.

MD really lacks that for me personally. In MD, your enemies are:

The Cops. ACAB notwithstanding I didn't feel like the game did a good enough job of establishing that the Prague PD were sufficiently corrupt enough that I felt comfy slaughtering them indiscriminately with my robohands. Maybe i missed a sidequest where they were like doing truly evil poo poo behind the scenes but unless they were shooting at me I left them alone.

Golem City Dudes: These are essentially my people. I don't wanna fight any aug in exile.

Mafia: These guys have a couple hosed up missions but again the game doesn't really sell that they all deserve to die. I think i killed the ones directly tied to enslaving that one woman and the ones in the sewers.

My point is that I feel like HR had a bunch of clearly defined evil villains that i could happily and remorselessly own with cool robo powers. MD's enemies left too much morally gray stuff in place and I never really got to go full terminator the way I usually would in these games and as a result i really couldn't get into it. Don't even think i beat it.

I "beat" DXMD and wondered, while the credits rolled, where the second half of the game was.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

gently caress's sake, CDPR. April, then September, now November.

If it wasn't ready why the gently caress did you give us release dates?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Macrame_God posted:

On one hand, Shigeru Miyamoto once said "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." On the other hand, I just upgraded my rig in anticipation for this game's September release! :argh:

I guess you can play Horizon Zero Dawn in the meantime?

At least the delay gives me more time to upgrade my own rig.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

What worries me is the language of the delay announcement means they underestimated how much QA work they need to do and how long it will take, which likely means another 2 months of deathmarch crunch for their line staff.

It would be much more palatable if the delay was to avert crunch time.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Glenn Quebec posted:

Why are you guys so condescending towards one of the largest and most successful triple AAA companies today? I see this same kind of language used on ropekid in a separate thread.

I'm not sure what the gently caress you're smoking. "Crunch" in games development is bad and typically happens due to there being more work than time allocated.

It's possible to respect CDPR's end product while still criticizing the mild abuse that is subjecting your workers to potentially MONTHS of mandatory overtime.

While the delay sucks for marketing, it sucks even more that it increases the length of time that CDPR's line staff are likely to be putting in long, stressful days.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Glenn Quebec posted:

I think that there are a variety of other reasons that games go off rails other than "more work then can be finished." It's like film, sometimes it goes over budget and you have to grind it out in long days.

It's part and parcel of the industry imo, love it or leave it

How about gently caress that, no, being in a specific industry shouldn't subject a worker to abusive practices that cause long-term damage to their mental health.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Glenn Quebec posted:

??? By saying that crunch is a result of a complex product like film or video games? Creative endeavors married to technical things take time and there are deadlines, there will be crunch. It's the nature of the product more than the corporation imo. Any corporation would rather ship on time and make their money back asap

Defending anti-worker practices in TYOOL 2020 is a bad look.

If a corporation can't make their product without abusing their workers, then that's a failure on the corporation's part that you can't just handwave away as ~~the nature of the product~~

Crunch is a result of POOR PROJECT MANAGEMENT. Full loving stop.

E: And you can't excuse anti-worker practices with the need greed to make a loving profit.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

Can someone please try to explain to me why they automatically assume a longer delay means longer crunch and not that the delay is in fact to prevent crunch and give the staff more time to work on the same amount of bugs?

I’m not trying to be sarcastic or start poo poo I am literally just curious.

The assumption is that if they were delaying the game to avert crunch, they'd be smart enough to say so.

"We're delaying the release date to prevent as much crunch time as possible" is an easy PR win.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Glenn Quebec posted:

You say that but there are as many, if not more, who would say the contrary. Two delays, being lazy, mismanaged, for not pushing crunch whereas here it's suggested that they are mismanaged because crunch exists at all.

Crunch is always mismanagement. CDPR's delay, by not being explicitly to prevent crunch, means the studio is highly likely to be extending the crunch period.

I don't know why you continually insist that crunch is anything but an abusive, anti-worker practice.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

cool. i hope the make a trauma team figure/statue. i love PMC insurance emts just because its so depressingly true. i might pick that up.

They're also just a loving great story hook in Shadowrun/Cyberpunk/Lancer.

Why does the team know each other? They work for the same Private Militarized Emergency Medical Service. How do they get into combat situations? They get a call! How do things go sideways? A rescue goes wrong, someone's dying words puts the entire crew at risk, etc. etc.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

sebmojo posted:

No-one is saying it's a good thing, but photo references of insanely horrific poo poo have been in video gaming since doom. Violent video games are horrible murder simulators, we've just got stockholm syndromed into not really noticing.

When will you be introducing legislation to ban all violent media?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

please god let the enemy callouts be varied

i can't express how sick i got of hearing "there's the bitch!" while playing through metro exodus

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

FemmeV is really the better choice. Her VA is top-notch!

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Chalks posted:

It seems really weird to tie it to your voice selection, it's like it being tied to your hair style or something. If you're not going to go down the classic route of baking it into the entire character creation process it seems pretty dumb to stumble at the final hurdle like this.

It's...not all that weird, actually. If you're talking to someone and the only information they have to go on is your voice, they'll make a best guess based on the sound of your voice.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Chalks posted:

Can you explain that further? I don't see how the player voice need to be tied to the gender at all - I don't imagine the player refers to themselves in third person. Making it a separate option seems simple.

Totally logical but it makes as much sense as it being based on the physical appearance of the character just like any other game. It doesn't seem to explain it so much as excuse it.

Like Bicyclops and itry said, CDPR probably had to tie the player character's assumed gender to something so that pronoun use would be generally correct. If you decouple pronouns from genitalia and general physical appearance, and you don't have explicitly gender-neutral voice acting recorded, it makes the most sense to tie pronouns to the voice acting you do have.

E: I imagine that casting an explicitly gender-neutral actor is hard, since the timbre of someone's voice is what determines if the listener assigns it a male or female speaker. Apparently there's a sweet spot between 145 and 175hz that is neither/both; finding someone who is close enough to make minor adjustments to so it sounds correctly gender neutral across all three origins - since the same VA does the voice work for each - is a task I'd imagine is difficult as gently caress.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 26, 2020

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Chalks posted:

It seems like a technical limitation but I just don't see why there couldn't be a button that lets you switch between the two. I'm not saying the voice should be neutral - just have the exact same voice options they have now, plus a toggle that changes how other characters reference you.

The only explanation I can come up with is that the character has a large amount of dialogue in which they directly refer to their own gender that would be too difficult to record again for the additional combinations - but that seems pretty far fetched.

I don't know, from a purely technical perspective it seems really weird for them to get so close to giving people the flexibility they want but then decide to tie it to some seemingly arbitrary part of character creation.

Iunno. Ideally if you wanted to cover the largest reasonable gamut of identities and pronouns with the least number of VAs, and thus the least money, you'd have 1 VA for the male-sounding performance, another for the female-sounding performance, and a third for a gender-neutral performance. It's technically possible to then decouple pronouns from vocal performance, but that adds a lot more complexity.

Right now, there's probably six distinct vocal performances for the MC, three for each VA. Decouple the vocal performance from pronouns and that instantly doubles the performances to six by each VA - even if they only have to record unique versions of each line where the MC uses their own pronouns.

Hoping for the ability to choose between he, she, and they in 2020 isn't unreasonable. Maybe that will be something CDPR adds in a later update. Coupling vocal performances to pronouns is arbitrary, but it's also (IMO) a reasonable compromise between CDPR's budget and a society where physical appearance doesn't determine ones gender identity.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 27, 2020

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Firebert posted:

One of the Gamespot people who played the demo did a sidequest where you have to rush a guy with a malfunctioning cyberdick to the ripper doc which sounds great!

It really bugs me that they don't have NB options, especially after finding out the amount of customization they are giving us. They/them has been seeing a lot more usage over the last few years, it's going to make the game feel really dated, especially given the setting (like you can literally have no junk or be like 95% cyborg?). Simply just letting you choose your character's pronouns at character select seems like a much more elegant solution than tying it to voice. I wonder if that's something they can patch in later without having to re-record a lot of dialogue?

e: it's just such a weird unforced error and oversight, would've been an easy W and good press for CDPR

You're correct that it would be a big PR win but at the same time that would make the recording process for not only the player character but all the NPCS more complex and expensive

Like, right now, there's probably 6 voices players will hear from the PC, three each from the male and female VAs. Adding a nonbinary voice option, coupled to a nonbinary pronoun, means finding and recording with a third VA who has a voice of the right timbre to read as gender-neutral and the performing ability to have 3 distinct voices.

If you decouple VO and pronouns entirely, it just gets even worse. Each VA has to do 3x3 performances, even if the ones for each pronoun option only involves rerecording the lines where the PC users their own pronouns.

It's not great that there's no enby VO/pronoun option, but I don't think it's missing out of malice or incompetence.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

So, anyway, about that game which is still a few months away. I think it's going to be a lot of fun!

I'm planning on a femme Nomad V built to sneak as much as she can, and shoot when she can't. I might try a corpo run as well, but Nomad strikes my fancy and feels like it'd fit.

It's going to be interesting to see how CDPR's stealth systems work, since their previous games didn't include stealth as much of an option for Geralt.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

fennesz posted:

I'm expecting something very similar to DX:HR stealth. Not incredibly deep by any means, but I'm expecting augments, perks and weapons to give you a lot of options regardless of however you end up wanting to play.

Yep, same! DX:HR (and DX:MD, even though the latter's story ended just before the second act) had good, serviceable stealth and maps designed so you could be a sneaky, hacky jerk.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

So anyway, yeah, holding two pistols at once is neat and might be something we can do in the game.

Bonus points if there's guns that fire things that aren't bullets, and double bonus points for showy reloads.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I'm definitely here for the promise of an immersive cyberpunk role-playing game that I can sink my teeth into for hours.

I'll be happy with serviceable combat and fun poo poo to do.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Sab669 posted:

I actually enjoyed TW3 :shrug: but I went Magic heavy, so I had fun simply just dodging, ducking, dipping, diving, and dodging out of the way while force pushing nerds and lighting them on fire.

As others have said, if this is on par with that / FO4 I'll be plenty content.

Hoping for Titanfall levels of gunplay seems like setting yourself up for disappointment. Blanking on the studio flounders name right now but they're ex COD which, while always good, virtually revolutionized the industry with the quality of COD4MW.

Respawn, who also made Apex Legends and Jedi: Fallen Order.

ymgve posted:

That doesn't mean much. Bethesda hired people with multiplayer/netcode experience for Fallout 76, and...well...

Fallout 76's issues stem primarily from Creation Engine being a dogshit scrapheap with unfixed bugs dating back to 2002 when BGS forked it from Gamebryo.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

necrobobsledder posted:

The issue for me is that I'm struggling to see what Cyberpunk is trying to achieve in terms of combat and gameplay feel now that they've removed wallrunning and there's some reviews criticizing weapons and vehicles this late into the dev cycle. Maybe the massive skill system is the big deal? Combat and movement isn't exactly CDPR's strength historically for sure though and it seems awkward to try to turn Cyberpunk into some competitive FPS. I'd be happy enough with traditional combat being pretty lackluster because I'm not going to play Cyberpunk for combat any more than I'd play the Witcher series to do dumb things with weapons inflicting mass carnage. I'm just hoping that just like when I'm playing the Witcher series that I didn't care that I couldn't use the Metal Gear: Rising blade system to dice monsters and people into tiny bits and that Cyberpunk's deficits in combat don't overshadow the real meat of the game. I'm not liking the GTA comparisons reviewers have made and am hoping CDPR is just loving with reviewers here. If all else fails, I'm just going as full-stealth as possible and avoiding combat to go experience the world, big whoop.

It's an RPG. The combat is probably going to be at least as serviceable as the combat in Witcher 3, but the setting and story is probably going to have more focus than the gunplay.

I'd strongly suggest not getting worked up about pre-release press impressions and poo poo because honestly the gaming press sucks and writes what get clicks.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Glenn Quebec posted:

Continue being garbage people

Turn on your monitor.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Glenn Quebec posted:

you guys suck

mlyp

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I like the new thread title.

:same:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

:ok:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I'm seeing these armchair developer hot takes about which is better, Skyrim or Witcher 3, and getting very confused.

Both games are good. Neither game is this game, Cyberpunk 2077, which apparently the new controversy someone's decided on is the lack of genital options.

Genitals which the one guy who decided to try streaking found were never actually shown in game.

It's probably three radio buttons in the character creation screens: circumcised penis, uncircumcised penis, or vagina.

Which, again, is never seen, so to people whom it really matters, their virtual vajayjay can look exactly like they imagine.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Ham posted:

Who has finished the game? The preview event gates you to the introduction only, in a specific part of the city.

There is one person who got the five-hour preview and had some time in the open-world.

They decided to try streaking, and found that the player character's lower undies aren't removable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkCEdBkhZqA

Add "?t=2077" to skip right to that segment, the forum insists on converting the timestamp link.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 12, 2020

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

Geralt is such a refreshing character to play as though. I loved just being a happy, dorky gruff dad. His entire shtick is essentially “dad jokes, great lay, monster hunting” and once you establish that Geralt has simply already lived through so much pain and heartache that he really only chooses to persist for the women in his life. Geralt wants Ciri and Yen and Triss to be happy and healthy and safe, and will do anything to keep them that way. It’s “bad” feminism in that he still sees it as his job to protect them when they are all quite capable of shredding entire infantry units by themselves, but he’s a good person and his heart is always in the right place.

But I also must smash absolutely every non-Ciri lady in the game, life is hard and the nights are lonely.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean to be fair. much like ciri, the good choices when it comes to triss and yenn are mostly, trust them that they are doing the right thing and help them in the way they want you too. geralt is just a protective dude and alot of them game is him coming to terms that others can protect themselves.

Both of these posts are true!

Geralt wants what's best for the three most important people in his life, and will go to any lengths to ensure that.

The roleplaying in Witcher 3, especially, is the player putting themselves inside Geralt's head to decide between "backing Triss/Yen/Ciri's decisions wholeheartedly" and "doing what's best for them, ]i]for[/i] them".

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i wasnt saying the other post was wrong, its just that the game encourages you to let go and trust other people and such.

I was agreeing with both of you :sun:

And yeah, basically, the best ending of the game is "Geralt learned to trust Ciri, Yennefer, and Triss. Then he retired from monster hunting to enjoy life."

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

It hadn't even occurred to me why I'm so excited for this before now, but yeah, "DX:HR but with a much larger hubworld" sounds like pure crack to me. Let it be janky as hell, let the writing be disappointing, as long as I can crawl through grime and take down gangs and hack storage units to steal the guns/drugs/bootleg cyberlimbs inside I'm 100% down.

loving INJECT THAT poo poo DIRECTLY INTO MY VEINS

Bonus: I can play as a punky chick with Cherami Leigh (AKA Gaige)'s voice.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

doingitwrong posted:

Hard Boiled is definitely the source of dual wielding pistols fantasy. Who has to answer for dual wielding swords? My first clear memory of it is Drizzt and his two spinning Scimitars.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

two swords feels more workable than duel wielding guns.

Dual-wielding swords, most often a shorter one in the non-dominant hand, has a historical basis across multiple eras.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Xander77 posted:

Just as dual-wielding two pistols is basically a worse replacement for a machine gun, dual-wielding swords is a worse replacement for a shield \ buckler.

Nah, it's really not.

Utgardaloki posted:

the main reason you'd have two swords is that carrying around two swords is less cumbersome than a sword and board set.

and also you're very confident in your ambidexterity, I guess.

Don't gotta be ambidextrous to do it! Also, the main reason you'd have two bladed weapons is to be able to attack and defend with either hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Arglebargle III posted:

WD2 is a lot better when you turn up the difficulty to realistic and play like a nerd with a laptop. Going on site becomes a real risk. You try to do everything remotely and if you have to be physically present you have to think about escape routes and distractions.

Sounds like a good reason to reinstall W_D2, except oh wait Horizon Zero Dawn drops on PC this weekend.