Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

wit posted:

Well yeah, given the amount of cybernetics in the game, at least one mission is going to have to involve stealing some dude's arm or spleen or some poo poo. To be honest, unless the game has some real next level AI I'm pretty over the novelty of pacifist runs in games. I don't want to watch an enemy long enough to see weaknesses in their patrolling pattern and jumping through that gap a million times.

Reminds me of SC:Chaos Theory. You could pick between lethal and non-lethal load outs for Sam Fisher. Lethal was actually harder because non-lethal bullets were a one hit “kill” while lethal bullets took several shots and were incredibly loud. Sam would also die in a single burst of gunfire so you really couldn’t get involved in firefights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
For anyone thinking of watching, it looks like the same b-roll footage that media outlets were given during the last Night City wire.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I mean, it's easy to criticize a game without being called a CHUD or a transphobe: just have some opinions that are deeper than "this game is trying to make me a liberal. :mad:"

See? Watch:

TLOU2 tries to engage players sympathies so much that it borders on comical. About the hundredth time an NPC yelled out "COLIN!" (every NPC in the game is uniquely named) I just laughed out loud. I know I am supposed to feel bad that I just killed Colin and his dog Tin Tin, but the emotional manipulation is so blatant that it misses the mark, for me.

I did love Abby's character design and loved how TLOU2 is really a ~deconstruction~ of the Action Genre. I think that excuses the comical guilt-trips, as it is trying to break down the cognitive dissonance between player actions and narrative.

So is your criticism is that you don’t like the game trying to make you think of the characters you are killing as people instead of faceless goons?

The naming thing does suck because characters are not uniquely named. I killed 5 “Matteos” in a row in the final portion of the game.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Jack Trades posted:

It doesn't feel sincere when the emotional manipulation is so blatant.

It's like that "We're Sorry" bit from South Park but played straight.

I hardly ever had enemies call out each others names (except at the end as I mentioned) so to me it just sounds like this game system just had badly tuned RNG.

exquisite tea posted:

They are, but it's up to the skill of the artist to determine which emotional beats feel "earned" versus which feel schlocky and cheap. This is why the ending of Rudy, despite seemingly being developed in a lab somewhere to make all grown men cry, is recognized as one of the greatest scenes in cinema and something like Collateral Beauty is seen as dumb saccharine crap.

So TLOU2 is bad because the artists who made were not skilled enough?

I feel like a lot of these critiques are not very enlightening. Is the personalized killing in TLOU2 better or worse than the impersonal killing sequences in CoD games where you bomb people from 10,000 feet up?

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Imagine Come and See: The Motion Picture: The Video Game I fundamentally don't think games are a medium that can actually handle a story that condemns violence.

TLOU2 doesn’t condemn violence. It’s very much pro-violence (at least in certain circumstances).

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Dapper_Swindler posted:

can't wait for monday. than we can argue about the game.

Game is out in 3 months and I still don’t really know what you do in this game. Like presumably it’s an immersive sim, but pretty much everything shown so far has been from the first few hours so who knows how representative of the rest of the game it is. The first few hours of TLOU2 are basically a walking sim.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Uh I think you’re all forgetting that is a man who literally keeps the lights on in that place so show some respect.

That was a horrifying reveal.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Turin Turambar posted:

There was a single npc today that I thought he was iffy. The other 99% was great!

The main problem was that it looked like whoever had to record the gameplay footage didn’t have a separate capture machine/beefy enough computer to play and record at the same time smoothly so they had to play/record at somewhere between 20-30fps.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Well y’all got me to try MD. (Bought it and the DLC on sale a long time ago but never played it). Is there anything to know going in (e.g. to not screw myself over).

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Look Sir Droids posted:

There is no optimal "build." Just play how you want to. IIRC the aug that helps you pick the right answer for Conversation Battles is useful, but you don't need it before the end of the Utulek Complex, so no need to rush it. Augs that help lethal or non-lethal are pretty self-explanatory.

I need to get around the the DLC myself.

Thanks! Think I’m going to go lethal just because I’ve always done non-lethal in these kinds of games previously.

Electronic old men...are not the future.:blastu:

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

EimiYoshikawa posted:

it really does not play nicely with less than 16 gigs of ram, but can be tamed with 8 if you do a bunch of page file stuff you can google.

Consider carefully who you murder, even if they really deserve it, as it may have repercussions later.

When stealthing, make sure you save at the start of the enemy territoryyou wind up in: the game has a bug
I’m playing this on a PS4 Pro. I will say this is the buggiest game I have played on the Pro by far. I’ve already run into 3 hard crashes where the game locks up for about a 30 seconds before crashing to the PS4 home screen UI with a bug report. I’ve only had that happen once before (Spelunky HD when I aggro’d the black market and the game couldn’t handle the chaos). I make frequent saves because of this.

I haven’t killed any named characters yet but I’ve barely advanced the main plot. I’ve returned to the office and got my augs fixed by the bookstore owner but I’ve just been doing side quests and robbing every apartment in Prague.

CottonWolf posted:

Same. It really irks me that the game gives you all the fun tools and then criticises you for using them.

I’ve just decided to say screw it and play my own way, even if it’s not optimal. I play the combat sections like Uncharted or TLOU where I start in stealth until I get caught and it turns into a fire fight. I’m already getting praxis points at a pretty good pace so I don’t feel like I have to spend them most optimally.

The real problem is that it feels like you almost get too many tools and options. So far there is almost always a vent that bypasses the need to engage in combat, hack, break a wall, or stealth. You often don’t even need the “better jumps” aug to reach them. And when there is no vent you usually have enough scrap to make a multi tool to auto-hack any lock.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Back Hack posted:

As someone who grew up on games where saving was a limited commodity or could only be done at specific locations spread out in the game world, I'm glad that poo poo went away. Nothing is more irritating then losing hours of gameplay because you hit a bug or the game crashed before you hit the checkpoint that would save your progress. It not that has become less of an issue over time, these problems have only gotten worst over the years with the general attitude of, "Well fix it in post."

If you want to iron-man the game, go ahead, you do you, but leave the rest of us alone. I don't have the time or the patience to put up with that poo poo anymore.

Star Ocean 2 back on the PS1 was the absolute worst for this. Not every town had a save point. Sometimes not even every other town. At a few points you have to exit to the overworld map and go through several random battles just to get to a dungeon that has a save point a bit inside it.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsC3L0OiUf0&feature=emb_title

newish extended gameplay out of TGS also updated graphics.

https://twitter.com/CDPRJP/status/1309825047994011648

also old man arasaka is still kicking.

Nothing particularly new in this except maybe the dialogue between V, Judy?, and another character right before Judy explains demos braindancing for V. No idea what they are saying though.

Also in DX:MD I’ve now made it back from theUlutek Complex (the first time at least). The game is definitely more fun trying to adapt through your failures (e.g. moving to combat after you get caught stealthing). Trying to save scum every time you get caught is a huge pain in the rear end. Too bad the game really seems to want to push you towards ghosting every level. It also doesn’t make much thematic sense for Adam to bounce between stealth, hacking, combat, conversation even if it is more fun (sorry ARC! My Adam agrees with your politics, but you patrols are too good and I spent praxis points on hacking and combat instead of seeing vision cones on my radar, so we will probably have to have a fire fight when you spot me right away). Also doesn’t really make much sense for Adam to be running around doing side quests when important main plot events are happening. Which is typical for a video game and normally doesn’t bother me, except the characters in MD love to call and nag you over and over for not doing the main storyline.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Rinkles posted:

IDK, it is marketing. People seem to like image quality killing effects. Like those sharp filters on YouTube thumbnails.

It’s me! I’m the person who loves chromatic aberration, motion blur, etc. If it was up to me the chromatic aberration in Bloodborne would be even more intense when you are in a dream/nightmare (though maybe the whole game is a nightmare:tinfoil:).

Also the lens flairs in Abrams Trek are important and should not be removed. :colbert:

Edit:

hobbesmaster posted:

Not to go too far off into talking about DX but this is more of a game design discussion.

This may be a bit of my personal brain worms but I 100% agree with what you’re saying about the stealth bonuses and even if I tell myself it doesn’t matter it still feels bad if things go loud like you lost and are being punished for it.

Yeah the games just emit intense FOMO vibes. Anytime you come across a locked door, poisoned vent, breakable door, or other obstacle there is a feeling of “I could do this, so I have to do this.”

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 28, 2020

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Tyro posted:

I really hope this can actually happen in the game and is annoying as gently caress, because that would be hilarious

Need to be able to hack people’s eyes Ghost in the Shell style.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Zaphod42 posted:

You got that right.

I'm on a cyberpunk media binge to hold me over.

Playing through Deus Ex again.

Just watched Anon which was honestly better than the reviews made it out to be?

Definitely check out Altered Carbon if you haven't yet. Its cheesy and some writing is awful but its basically Blade Runner TV.

And I just showed my girlfriend Johnny Mnemonic for the first time, which she loved. Feels especially appropriate because Keanu.

Just finished playing through DX:MD. People were right about it ending abruptly. Where is the second half of the game Square? Or at least the last third? I can’t believe Prague is the only hub city in the game. The game was fun (though the buggiest and most crash prone PS4 game I’ve played by far) but it just...stops. I guess Square can spend a ten years trying to make FF15 but has to cancel the DX franchise because it doesn’t sell enough the pay for that decade of stinkers (thank god FF7R is amazing).

Also I wish there was more than one boss fight in the entire game. He went down in about two seconds since I was combat (plus hacking build). One emp grenade to stun him and remove his Titan armor and then just unload on him. I think it was supposed to be more intricate, what with all the turrets, drones, mines, and the complicated arena, but if you just grenade him right at the start he dies before the drones and turrets can get to you.

I had a fun time but don’t think I will replay it or the DLC missions. I feel like I did most of the side quests and there is basically just one mutually exclusive branching path.

I also recommend the Ghost Stories for the End if the World podcast. It’s not cyberpunk, but it is about organized crime and spooky conspiracy theories (good for this time leading up to Halloween.)

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Well I mean, yeah, Neuromancer came out in 1984, the same year as 1984.

1984 is cyberpunk,
Moby Dick is a kaiju,
A Christmas Carol is a heist movie.

Change my mind :colbert:

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I like the idea that it was all staged and the rich bastard fell for it. :hai:

Yep. A Christmas Carol is just Inception (or really the other way around). Both are about a team of people committing mind-crime to change how a rich person handles their finances.

Edit:

Trustworthy posted:

Inception, but make it Dickens

drat. Beat me to it.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

hobbesmaster posted:

*gets mirror fixed*
*looks at giant purple mohawk in mirror*
I never asked for this

DXMD really buried the lede with what should've been a much cooler double agent plot line

It’s weird how there really is no mystery to the main plot in that game. The opening cutscene with the Illuminati lays everything out to the player and Jensen picks up on what is happening almost immediately. And there is no tension to the double agent plot line (except maybe one scene). Jensen has plenty of time for both jobs.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

hobbesmaster posted:

One entire mission, the raid the versalife vault vs infiltrate the church decision was supposed to be this.

Pff why would you not do the bank job?! Plus you find out that the bomb maker (who blew up a whole bunch of innocent people so I didn’t feel like rescuing her to begin with) is they head of that church and they all seemed happy about their “ascension” so I didn’t even feel like I missed out on anything. Also, it’s not even Jensen’s fault. His coworkers were supposed to interrogate the bomb maker’s dad and figure it out. Maybe you find out more if you actually do it, but I have no desire to replay DX:MD, even though I liked it. Also, the bank job facilitates robbing the other corporate vaults as well for huge payouts.

I can’t decide if I want to do a nomad bike V or a street kid :killdozer: V.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Turin Turambar posted:

I found this post from Resetera strangely poignant:

Do you know why there is crunch? Because people say they hate crunch but really love games with huge scope and detail that usually provokes said crunch!

Gamers are incredibly reactionary. Between “there is no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism” and “there are no such things as AAA games under communism” we all know what they pick.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

No Mods No Masters posted:

Honestly the johnny heist chapter alone, pieces of which are basically all they've shown story wise, looks to be like 3,4,5+ hours long and it seems like this game's equivalent of twitcher 3 white orchard. I wouldn't worry too much about it not being giant (but enough about the cosplay dong :rimshot:)

Yeah the story so far seems to be (Speculative Spoilers):

Prologue:
Background specific intro.
Eventually meet Jackie some how. (At least one possibility is you both are trying to steal the same car and are arrested together. The rich person whose car you are trying to steal basically just tell the cops to kill both of y’all. This might be when the car chase with shoot-out in the badlands we’ve seen takes place.).
Find out you both work well together.
-small time skip-
Chapter 1:
You and Jackie are on the job to find that missing person in that one E3 demo (the one where you see the militarized EMT guys show up. Assuming this is still in the game.)
A few days later after blowing through your money you and Jackie get a job from Dax? to steal the drone for the Corp back from Maelstrom.
Dax thinks you’ve proved yourself and gives you and Jackie the job to steal the chip with Johnny on it.
You get the chip but Jackie dies in a shoot-out.
You go back to Dax to get paid but he double crosses you (probably because you attracted way too much attention and he is trying to protect himself).
You kill Dax.
Chapter 2: You wake up with Johnny standing over you telling you to get to work.

At some point you meat Judy and other characters.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

doingitwrong posted:

Robo arms seem more stable and durable than flesh but in actual practice, it's the opposite.

Invasive surgical replacement parts are foreign bodies that the immune system spends a lot of time trying to destroy or isolate with scar tissue. Minor damage to the part isn't self-repairing unlike flesh, so wear and tear is cumulative in a way that it isn't for flesh. And heaven help you if the nerve interfaces get better over time. Good luck keeping up with the latest tech with your SCSI-equivalent plugs in the new era of USB-C.

Early cochlear implants had less channels than the latest models, but that kind of surgery is a one way street so if you got the early tech, you can't upgrade to the latest.

Whenever possible, we'd prefer exo-skeletons and wearables to surgical implants.

But chromed bodies and prosthetics have always been metaphorical trappings of the genre.

Yeah In Ghost in the Shell:SAC there is literally one character (the security “guard” at an “orphanage”) that looks like Adam Smasher. They have “military bodies” for full cyborg soldiers that still look human but are more bullet resistant, stronger, etc. but there is only so much you can do and still have the cyborg body look human. There just isn’t that much space to fit military tech in a human body. They also obviously can’t be used by anyone who isn’t completely prosthetic. Most “heavy military assault” in the show can be done any anyone putting on a mech exosuit, or getting into a tiny spider tank. (In contrast, almost everyone in the world of SAC has a cyber brain, even if the rest of their body is biological).

GitS, DXMD&HR, and even MGR:Revengence deal with the fact that cyborg bodies suck when it comes to maintenance. It’s depicted as being incredibly expensive and you’re basically forced to tie yourself to the ruling economic and political system (insert comparison to the American healthcare system).

Edit: Not to mention fears that your employer, corporation, or government could just turn off your prosthetics. Adam Smasher probably likes being a corporate goon for Araska, but it’s not like he could ever oppose them if he didn’t. They can probably just turn him off, and even if they just fired him, how likely is it that he could afford to maintain his body? The damage he takes being a body guard probably costs more to replace than he would get paid doing it, assuming he could even find someone with the knowledge to work on proprietary Araska tech.

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 16, 2020

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

SniperWoreConverse posted:

i thought it was formal / nonformal

you = vous
thou = tu

e: i looked it up and ȝe is both honorific and plural. From West Germanic *jīz. Not related to the other "ye," þe, which is just the.

Cyberpunk 2077: West Germanic jīz

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Talkc posted:

They fixed the cable? ( Oblig )

Also they were like stacking loans or mortgages or something on the game or something silly.

I guess it paid off?

And thats cause they were a small studio of like .... not even enough people to reach kevin bacon.

Hello Games was 6 degrees from Brad Garrett and was gonna be flag shipping a AAA game. Bonkers.

If Cyberpunk goes sour its gonna be schadenfreude perfection.

I think that was the Cupehead people. The two owners mortgaged their houses to be able to pay for animators. They were super lucky that they got picked up by Microsoft and no one released a similar game before they did. (Seriously don’t mortgage your home to pay for your indie game. For every person that succeeds there are dozens of people who quite their job and spend 5 years of their life making their half-baked indie Metroidvania roguelike that gets no sales (or worse. They try making their own engine solo before they get started on the game).)

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Cost of living may be lower, but CDPR sells games globally. The executives and company are making a big profit selling to Americans at American prices but paying their workers at Polish levels (it’s like reverse off-shoring: Operating in a cheaper area and selling in a more expensive one).

Edit:

1glitch0 posted:

I highly doubt it. They can say 3 weeks will make a big difference, but to me it sounds like hitting the snooze button for 5 minutes. You ain't gonna be less tired in 5 minutes.
Agreed. Every software project I’ve been on that has had to delay needed at least a month/month-and-a-half of not more. And that was for relatively minor things. 3 weeks is barely enough time for fixing UI typos+comprehensive QA for a 1.3->1.4 patch (and maybe not even then).

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 29, 2020

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

CottonWolf posted:

Four player Crystal Chronicles on Gamecube is still one of my fondest gaming memories, the one time we managed to get four people with GBAs and Gameboy-GBA link cables in the room with the Gamecube.

The “best” way to play this was 5 TVs, 5 Gamecubes, and 4 Gameboy players for the Gamecubes.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Well if we are posting music links might as well post GitS:SAC for completion.

https://youtu.be/aAn_wyzdxgQ

https://youtu.be/2iE9DkRAY3g

I do like that GitS, Elysium, and I guess now 2077 all agree that in the cyberpunk future, America will be a hot, desert wasteland, even inside. We will be able to put computers in people brains but indoor HVAC is a lost art for all but the super wealthy elite.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

steinrokkan posted:

There haven't been four good games released this decade.

This is Bloodborne, Bloodborne: The Old Hunters, Sekiro, and Sekiro: Game of the Year Edition erasure!

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Watching the footage on YouTube, it’s honestly hard for me to tell which is better. One, it’s not side by side, but also the YouTube compression is just destroying this footage. Even on 1080P its looking pretty grey and muddy, especially in high contrast scenes (which is most of the footage).

Glad to see a bit more actual gameplay.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Seriously. Every time gamers have declared something to be the Jesus game it’s lead to massive disappointment. Fable, No Man’s Sky, etc. (Though I think this game will actually be fun, but it’s not going to come close to fulfilling some people’s expectations).)

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Zeta Acosta posted:

they must be bug fixing like hell and trying to ship the loving thing in an acceptable state, there is no way in hell they drop something before the release date whenever it may be

The king of all day one patches. I wonder if the disc version will have the original day one patch integrated.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Apparently this is the last NCW.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Some actual story in this trailer.

Also glad they have brain hacking in this. I wish DX had incorporated GitS style eyeball hacking.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Zeta Acosta posted:

https://www.ign.com/articles/cyberpunk-2077-the-final-preview

What i tought.
Hopefully the story and characters carry the game. The mechanics of the game and the technical aspects wont be revolutionary, best in class and at this moment may be even broken.

Six hours to reach the opening title card! (I’m a big sucker for a slow title card).

Also that lines up with people thinking all the stuff with Jackie is just the prologue.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

hobbesmaster posted:

I believe you can easily completely skip the title card in Disco Elysium. That makes it the best game, right?

I have not played DE (yet, on my list) but from everything I’ve heard, yes.

I love a good slow burn. If it was up to me. Alien: Isolation would have ~10 hours of mundane quests before you even get hints of the Alien. My ideal A:I game would have you work a full shift at your dead-end, minimum wage job in the Sevastopol gift shop before all hell breaks loose.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

JustaDamnFool posted:

This is also because there's basically no money in writing about released games because they get such a minor fraction of the traffic a pre-release article would.

Yeah they’ve talked about it on the Waypoint podcast recently. (It’s basically why Waypoint is just a podcast now and most of the people on it don’t actually “work at” Vice Games. They are all at Motherboard or some other subdivision.)

Writing that’s not pre-release coverage gets almost no traffic. The only thing that comes close are reviews for huge AAA games and list articles for AAA games. Anything else is basically just prestige or written for the writer’s own sanity and need to write something more creative than re-wording a press release.

Jason Schreier manages to do real journalism ™ because he has been able to build contacts with workers in the industry. Most places can’t do that because they are so reliant on insider and pre-release access that they can’t afford to have a journalist publish something too negative and have access cut off.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Well I guess I’m blessed with lower standards because the PS4Pro footage looks great to me and the crowd density looks perfectly fine. :shrug:

This game is going to get review bombed when people realize first hand that most buildings don’t have fully modeled, enterable, 3D interiors and crowd NPCs don’t all have unique models, voice actors, and backstories.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Spuckuk posted:

Whats GOGs cut?

GOG and CDPR are both owned by CD Projekt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Uhg jealous of the Dark Souls Compendium.