Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

frest posted:

So wait, I stopped following this game. Do you just play as cyber-Geralt? Is there any character creation?

No, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Glenn Quebec posted:

FO4 had the most boring areas to explore of all the fallouts

I love New Vegas a lot but there at least a dozen variations of 'a 100 feet cave filled with enemies' or 'a nondescript shack that's used for 30 seconds for one quest'.

Aimless exploration isnt really the point of New Vegas but still

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

homullus posted:

You did not play Daggerfall. Nobody who spent time with Daggerfall would say this.

Or Oblivion, or Fallout 3, etc etc

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Oblivion was my first big WRPG so I played it far far more than I should have, but even then I hated Oblivion gates so much I basically enchanted an entire set of gear that let me run so fast and jump so high I could just hop around every barrier and beeline to the sigil in under a few minutes.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

The weekend Oblivion came out I slept over at a friend's house and we probably started 25 characters in like 12 hours. we had a blast playing the first 2-3 hours over and over but then the game opens up and we just hated it.

I assume most games with a robust character creator, good or bad, fall into the 'played through the first dungeon with two dozen different characters before deciding they didnt look quite right or I shouldn't have tagged that one skill and starting over' trap. Which is why I kinda love the non-choice of Witcher 3, saves me from making myself spend an hour deciding if the PC's scar is juuuust right.

Cyberpunk 2077 is gonna be real rough with this since you also get to choose background, I already know I'm gonna see the first two hours of V's journey at least 30 times :negative:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

ZZZorcerer posted:

This, character progress should be horizontal not vertical.
“Numbers go up” should be left behind

You're describing, like...Tomb Raider.

Which is fine I guess but that's a 15 hour game, I dunno how much genuine complexity you can keep adding for an 80+ hour game like W3 while eliminating levels/etc altogether

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

God, this was such a blast from the past. I knew I associated the name 'MisterBibs' with dumb bullshit but couldn't remember why.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Xander77 posted:

The characters in game tell you to turn around and use the intended route. If you get any in-game indication about Black Valley being the difficult but faster way to get to Vegas, I'd love to hear that, because that would mean there's some bare hint of in-character reason to go there.

If you explore a little, you will head down the road and run into a bunch of deathclaws, some of whom are programmed to be able to see through your invisibility device. You can spend forever banging your head against the wall, but to the best of my recollection (possibly confirmed by our lord and master JSawyer in the FNV thread) there's no intended way to get past them.

You could try to avoid the deathclaws entirely and climb the mountains, but that's impossible due to the invisible walls and unscalable cliffs.
We're outright defending invisible walls in the middle of an open world now. Ok.

Anyways, if you happen to stumble into Black Valley proper, for some reason (I don't believe it's on your map to begin with, and the path there still involves navigating past Bark Scorpions and possible wandering deathclaws, which previous experience should have told you was a cue to turn back), you will meet Neil, who outright tells you that this is a high-level area full of supermutants, and you should turn back. There's no reason to assume that they won't be able to see through you invisibility as well - for that matter, there's no reason to assume the valley contains a path of Vegas, rather than being surrounded by more impassable cliffs.

But of course, if you don't make this assumption, haven't used up any of your Stealth Boys to try and get past the deathclaws, and manage to figure out the one path that allows you to leave the valley (IIRC, it's in the direction that's headed AWAY from Vegas), the whole thing is perfectly intuitive and well designed.
:rolleyes:

The game points you in the opposite direction to keep following the guys that shot you. The other way is skipping the first part of the plot.

Which is a good thing, every open world game should have that option, but why should the 'skip the first five parts of the main quest' shortcut be easy or intuitive?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Fallout is a bad series, especially all of the first person games. Discuss better video games, please.

No

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

To be fair to those guys the last 1/3 of Prey involves a lot of backtracking through hallways of enemies, most of which are literally just floating cubes, and unlike in Dishonored you can't really sneak behind and choke any of them out.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

RDR2 is a weird example here because even if you removed all the meters you could still logically intuit that Arthur needs to eat and drink to replenish his energy, sleep to avoid being tired, bathe himself and his horse to avoid becoming dirty, will likely die if he's shot more than twice, etc. And even then, the 'gamification' is minute, like at most eating seasoned bird meat will make you feel slightly better but at no point do you really need to wolf down bird steaks to buff yourself for a fight or anything. This is a far cry from the idea that Geralt is just slapping werewolf embryos on his torso and suddenly gaining the ability to run forever, or suddenly waking up and discovering that because he solved that vampire murder mystery he now has the ability to carry more weight in his backpack.

I realize that guy's idea of immersion is "no health bars or menus" which isn't really feasible outside of simple puzzle games so hes already starting from an insane place, but those two examples are as far removed from one another as they could be.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

rdr2 is good and the long rear end animations and interminably slow pace are important to setting the tone

in my opinion

Agreed, and it was absolutely my GOTY 2018 for that very reason. I definitely spent more time ambling around town, talking to randos and hunting down animals to make the perfect outfit than I ever did in gunfights.

IMO would be like a guy saying "yeah Witcher 3 is good I guess but is there a way to skip through all the dialogue and investigation scenes to get to the good part; the combat?"

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

ymgve posted:

If Witcher 3 was like RDR2, then instead of accidentally lighting up a candle when trying to loot a chest, you would accidentally aggro the whole village instead

Accidentally clicking a candle on and off for two full minutes while you're just try to loot some dwarven spirits from that last cupboard in the shack: irritating, lovely, makes Geralt look like he has severe ADHD

Accidentally choking a man when you were just trying to pomade your hair, then punching your own horse in the face as you try to escape: hilarious, emergent gameplay, correctly captures Arthur's temperamental nature

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

This was absolutely a complaint leveled at Witcher 3. :shrug:

They dumb

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

SweetBro posted:

GOTY doesn't mean anything in the game industry and imo its reception had more to do with its behemoth sized marketing budget and Rockstar being Rockstar and putting together an incredibly well polished sequel rather than it being anything an exemplary game. In a lot of ways I feel like it told a less interesting story than the prequel and rather than adding new and interesting mechanics it felt like it just bloated onto the existing ones. I don't want to get into a long discussion about tone because its ultimately subjective, but I felt like RDR1 had no issues with tone, and that the majority of the changes made from it to RDR2 felt incredibly disrespectful to my limited time as a player.

GOTY means it was the best game I played that year, sweetbro

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I think I liked RDR2 a lot more because most of the gang is pretty likable. There are two antagonists who make your life hell (Micah and Dutch) and the plot revolves around that to a degree but for the most part the gang is one big family that's falling apart. I think it's also the first R* game to have women in it that aren't insane harpies, prostitutes or kidnap-fodder.

In RDR1, almost everyone you meet that isn't Bonnie MacFarlane is a stupid mean rear end in a top hat that lies to you dozens of times and the story is mostly you just shrugging and eating poo poo until they eventually stop lying. Every sidequest ends with everyone dying or failing and you're called an idiot for trying to help. The Mexico plotline barely makes sense because John triple crosses everyone for no reason and then acts indignant when they don't like it. The fact that RDR1 is still a good game is more a testament to how fun it is outside of this.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

What functionally is the difference

Outside of the beginning and ending you can go almost anywhere in W3 and do all three sections of the main quest in any order and leave at any time and etc.

Mass Effect is like 90% main quest, unless you mean the crappy proc-gen planets in 1 or the handful of short side missions in 2 (never played 3)

Is it just that you don't like end credits

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

If you took out the main quest from Witcher 3 and maybe separated the standalone quests from it such as the Red Baron storyline, then it would've been a better game.
The main quest is the worst part of that game.

It veers from average to great?

The worst part is most of Skellige. Even the most innocuous sidequests in W3 have a twist or a turn, but Skellige has the highest number of 'just fight some ghouls in a cave or something' Skyrim-style quests, its noticeably a step down. That, and navigating the isles mostly sucks obv.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Even without the crossover-gen thing its gotta be a tough balancing act of not wanting to miss the holiday season but also being concerned that the economy is in such shambles from the pandemic that less people can buy your game right now

Hoping that they stay the course and release it mid-November, it will line up nicely with wanting to forget about politics forever again a week after the US elections

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

dragonshardz posted:

please god let the enemy callouts be varied

i can't express how sick i got of hearing "there's the bitch!" while playing through metro exodus

Enemies everywhere!

Go go go

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

itry posted:

If it's the same VA from the demo from last year then I'm going with her, definitely.

Kinda disappointed with the heavy leaning into male V in the new footage / posters / goodies collection. There's like a single screenshot of female V, iirc.

Gamers are extremely uncomfortable playing anything but a white guy with brown hair so that's the dude who has to be in all the promos

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Glenn Quebec posted:

Goons, once again, running off anyone to do with game dev.

"This Whole Thing Smacks Of Gender," i holler as i overturn CDPR's barbeque grill and turn the cyberpunk thread into the thread of poo poo

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

You guys were making me want to replay DXMD but then also described all the bullshit that made me not want to finish it in the first place :laffo:

One problem I always had with the new DX games is that straight combat not only sucks but you get pretty big bonuses for stealthing and being nonlethal so there's almost no situation where you want to actually use your weapons. It always made like 50% of the upgrade tree seem like a huge waste. And yet something about crawling around vents and reading my cybercop coworkers' emails is calling to me again...

How was the DLC in MD? I actually kind of ended up hating the way they integrated the DLC into the director's cut of DXHR because it really broke up the flow of the ending but I'm not sure if they did it the same way.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Without multiplayer, would the GTA crowd actually care about this game? It is very different from GTA.

....what?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Why would fans of the best-selling open-world single-player crime game franchise of all time want to play a single-player open-world crime game set in the future? Frankly I can't wrap my head around it

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Cyberpunk is not a huge car-jacking driving crime simulator where you can explore a giant island with motorcycles or jetskis. Its a story driven FPSRPG mostly taking place in a single city.

Cyberpunk is no more similar to GTA than games like Forza or Payday, because the former has cars and the latter has you robbing banks. Neither is the same as GTA though.

Cyberpunk is much more like Deus Ex. Would you say Deus Ex is the same genre as Grand Theft Auto?

Is Cyberpunk not a W3 style open-world and more like a big DX hub? Genuinely asking, but the fact that I don't actually know even after watching a lot of the prerelease videos makes me think most people are under the assumption it's a big city where you drive around with the general goal of becoming a more successful criminal, which is the plot of every GTA game.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I think the real question is: is this game GTA? Or is it not GTA. ????

Consider this: GTA San Andreas not only had stats you could increase, extremely clunky driving and combat as well as several optional side missions but it ended up being about working with shadowy government operatives to do crimes. Cyberpunk 2077 is simply an unofficial sequel.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

BTW even though it denies C2077's true, GTA-inspired spirit I did start playing Deus Ex Mankind Divided again a couple days ago just to get into that cyberpunk feeling. So far it's been about 20% gritty cyberpunk combat scenarios/80% me milling around empty apartments and reading my co-worker's emails which I both love and hate.

I also didn't realize this the first time I played it but their portrayal of fascist apartheid eastern european cops are basically just modern-day US cops with a different accent which is pretty depressing!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I don't think you can make the best RPG of this generation and then not get people's hopes up for your next one tbh

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I think that's a good ad for normies but I genuinely don't know what makes them want to play games so who knows? I would think they'd want to show the part where Keanu is actually in the game too but :shrug:

In other genre news I'm still slowly making my way through Deus Ex Mankind Divided and kinda wish the hub was Golem City instead of Prague. Prague is just kind of visually uninteresting in comparison whereas I spent so much time soaking in the moody Golem City atmosphere as I walked around knocking riot cops unconscious. Ah, well.

I also find it funny how much they play up Jensen as this action hero badass in the cutscenes and as soon as I get control again it's back to crawling through vents, reading emails and stealing stray cans of beer.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I like Joseph Anderson but he'll do the 'autistically fixate on one thing and base most of his opinion on that' and it will sometimes be this completely disparate element. Like his review of Tomb Raider 2013 really fixates on how unbelievable her injury is in the first five minutes and how he couldn't take the plot seriously because of how fantastical her being able to run and jump around afterwards would be. Like....its a video game man the PC will be shot in the face several times during it.

Also his review of the newest Mario was that it was too easy and just seemed like a fun tour of different worlds rather than a hardcore challenge :laffo:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I actually finished DXMD and I kind of see where the Prague map design starts to work during the third act when the cops have declared curfew and you actually have to choose between fighting them or using all the various routes through the sewers and such. It still doesn't quite click (and the amount of backtracking you have to do for sidequests is as bad as Prey) but I did end up appreciating it a little more as a whole. I wouldn't even say the game is too short so much as the plot is so all over the place that there's no strong central narrative to follow so the final boss being a guy who wasn't much more interesting than any other mobster or terrorist you meet is a failure of the writing. Like, the jokey underground conspiracy theory group you help during a sidequest shouldn't be more memorable and have stronger characterization than every villain in the game.

Still, once you get the flow of it and unlock all the right augs it is really satisfying to just zip through a level tazing, hacking and invisibly punching out every enemy before rooting around their lockers and poking around their vents. Even though Cyberpunk 2077 isn't going to be an immersive sim and I assume won't have as much emphasis on stealth (have they talked about stealth at all? Is it even a thing in C2077?) I wonder if it will have a similar 'feel' when exploring.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

alright I came to Witcher 3 pretty late after all the DLC was released, how buggy should I anticipate playing a CDPR day-one new release will be on a scale between "some texture pop-in and a few buggy quest triggers" and "skyrim on PS3"

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

No Mods No Masters posted:

Witcher 3 was perfectly playable on PC at launch in my experience. There was lots of low grade buggy stuff but not super impacting of the core experience. This game seems to be coming in a little hotter though, especially if you plan to play on console.

PS4 so maybe I should steel myself. To their credit though after what I assume were several patches W3 runs quite well on PS4 outside of long loading times. I encountered hardly any bugs at all when playing it in like 2016 and again earlier this year.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Hoping that they unintentionally pay homage to Fallout 2 and there's a bug where if you fast travel too much the trunk travels with you but the car vanishes entirely

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

AirRaid posted:

Hot take:

Card games suck and I actively avoid them in games that have them.

Gwent can stay in the Witcher.

This post is pure pazaak

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Claes Oldenburger posted:

I looked up a synopsis so it's unfair to say I guessed it with 100% accuracy.

I figured after meeting January and December (and seeing the nullwave tests) that eventually there would be some large decision to make where you either die and blow everything up, or accept your brothers advice and save the station/research but the typhon stay alive or something to that effect. The ol' morals vs. capitalism. There will be a bossfight, either directly with the brother or some Typhon thing with an ending that sets up a sequel.

Between the January/December arc, your brother trying to keep the station alive, the nullwave tests, and the very obvious "What if we could put people into Typhon :O" the twist seemed somewhat in that realm.

Unfortunately the fact that I know the ending now means I was only semi correct, which is what I expected.

For the record I think it's possible to rehash old stories into a new package and they can be amazing. Maybe this is one of them! Just didn't seem to grip me in the run up to cyberpunk and what I'm looking for.

this is funny because not only is it mostly incorrect based on what actually happens but the basic premise of how you thought it would go is laid down in the first, like, hour of the game? "i bet you can choose to blow up or save the station, two things you're encouraged to work towards doing immediately" is more just you understanding very early exposition

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

*me loading up doom*

:rolleyes: hmmm....lemme guess, the twist is that i'm gonna fight demons in increasingly challenging combat arenas with a larger and larger array of guns?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Cavauro posted:

Cyberpunk 2077 is exactly like GTA!

Agreed :smug:

IIRC the post that started it was a "why would the idiot plebian GTA likers even want to play this game, surely they couldn't understand that it is in fact a role-playing game??" when I think the primary reason people play a game is because it looks fun, so the millions of people who have fun playing the game where you drive around a big city doing missions and shooting guns may be interested in a new game where you drive around a big city doing missions and shooting guns ~* In ThE FuTuRe *~

This is a good thing because it will generate revenue for CDPR even if it tricks the simpleton oaf GTA likers into playing a game with damage numbers and dialogue options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I've somehow read through about half of Neuromancer like four times before something got in the way. And it's not even long!

In Cyberpunk-adjacent news I was playing through all DLC for Deus Ex Mankind Divided after beating it and the one where you go undercover into a cyborg prison is kind of great? In some ways it's superior to the main game because it's self-contained enough with a decent-sized shortcut-filled map and different choices branching the plot that it doesn't feel so meandering and vaguely incomplete. Also you get to murder prison guards. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to get their feet cyberwet in anticipation of C2077 without the commitment of the 30+ hours the main game takes.