Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://www.polygon.com/e3/2019/6/12/18662443/cyberpunk-2077-trans-advertisement-cd-projekt-red-e3-2019

Polygon talked to an art director working on Cyberpunk, idk she sounds pretty sincere and also mentions that there are a lot of trans/nb characters in the game

I personally don't have a problem with it either, it makes sense for the setting and reflects how the lovely oppressive advertising (which we already saw in the 2018 demo laser-targets the player character) would go after every demo possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Pylons posted:

Because it kind of ties into the transphobic idea that trans people are a "third gender" and not, you know, the gender they identify as.

some transpeople don't identify as either male or female, who declared you arbiter of this?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Visibly transgender characters in a setting with advanced and ubiquitous biotech/cybertech makes very little sense to me, unless that character is a luddite tbh. If this was 2020 then sure, but in 2077 even the poorest people would have the means to genemod or augment themselves to look however they want

NB I expect will be pretty commonplace

Firebert fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 13, 2019

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

The_White_Crane posted:

In that case, the existence of the poster doesn't make sense either.

You can't argue "Oh well, in The Future there are so many people with swingin' dicks and bangin' tits that they're a viable marketing demographic and this poster is just a commonplace example of using sex to sell a product and not weird fetishism." and then simultaneously say "Oh but cybertech and surgery is so good that you can't tell anyone's not cisgender!"

Like, if that's a big enough demographic for corporations to profit by pandering to them, then there should in fact be characters who look like the model visible somewhere among the random background NPCs.

How do we know that the woman in the poster isn't a cis woman who just had a big honking dick installed for the gently caress of it? The tech of 2077 means you can swap body parts on a whim like you're Mr. Potato Head!

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Noam Chomsky posted:

I'm aware of that. I should have been more clear in my post.

My point was that CDProjekt, and other studios, should reach out to the trans community concerning representation in their game(s) and make it clear to the wider gaming community that they received input from trans people during development.

Being able to say "Hey, [trans person] was a narrative/creative/development consultant on this game" does a lot to mitigate any potential controversy around something like the "chromanticure" poster. The poster itself isn't separate from the context in which it was created and included in the game.

I have no strong opinions on the poster itself, as a cis-het white male. I just think if you're going to put it and similar in your game you may want to include some trans people in the discussion, not that I know for sure that they haven't.

Outing one of your devs and making them a pillory target for multiple groups of angry people just to defend your videogame would be super gross, they should absolutely not do this

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1217910851052736513

Multiplayer isn't going to happen until 2022 (if ever)

It's wild they were even talking about it if it was that far off

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I gotta believe it's gonna be another 30-60 minute deep dive into the game and not an ARG, the game is out like 2 months later and they need to hype pre-orders

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Literally no one is asking for money

I am asking for money

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
lol of course it's MisterBibs

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
When I think of open world games with no main quest, I think of Elder Scrolls, because that is 100% how I played them. Like you can finish the main quest in Morrowind or Oblivion in a couple hours probably, but it is never the reason to play any of those games.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
If Ciri isn't a sidequest NPC in this game, I will consider it a failure

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

This is what we need!

They should make a Blood Dragon-esque game with the Cyberpunk engine & assets to hype up the next Witcher game, taking place on the streets of Neo-Novigrad with netrunner-vampires and robot barkers on the corner singing the PamParam song.

E: Geralt with mantis blades, one silver, one steel

Firebert fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 7, 2020

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

So you can summon SMT demons as a netrunner? I guess I know what I'm playing as now!

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
At least CDPR confirmed that there are press copies out right now so there will hopefully be a lot of info + impressions coming out after the post-stream embargo is up!

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1273799811972493312

So unsurprisingly CP2077 will be playable on PS5/XBX when they are available and will look better there than on current gen, but interestingly there is going to be a free update next year for next gen consoles. I'm gonna be getting the PC version either way but it seems like the ports will be a pretty good value if you are an early next-gen adopter.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I just hope it actually comes out in 2020 at this point

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The Braindance stuff just killed the presentation, everything else was great. I'm sure Braindance will be an okay replacement for Witcher vision for investigation quests, but they absolutely did not sell it very well on stream.

I'm very curious how much the wasteland factors into the game beyond the nomad opening, and I really wish they showed more of the verticality of the level design. The snippets of gameplay that they gave to review outlets looked pretty good, though I want to see if they pull off the dense urban crowds from the demo a few years back, everything shown today was a lot smaller in scale.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
One of the Gamespot people who played the demo did a sidequest where you have to rush a guy with a malfunctioning cyberdick to the ripper doc which sounds great!

It really bugs me that they don't have NB options, especially after finding out the amount of customization they are giving us. They/them has been seeing a lot more usage over the last few years, it's going to make the game feel really dated, especially given the setting (like you can literally have no junk or be like 95% cyborg?). Simply just letting you choose your character's pronouns at character select seems like a much more elegant solution than tying it to voice. I wonder if that's something they can patch in later without having to re-record a lot of dialogue?

e: it's just such a weird unforced error and oversight, would've been an easy W and good press for CDPR

Firebert fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 27, 2020

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Glenn Quebec posted:

Why is putting the gender to the voice the incorrect move? From my understanding you could have a hyper masculine physique and a feminine voice and vice versa

Because Arnold Schwarzenegger with a feminine voice could just be a gay bodybuilder but in CP77 would always be treated as a woman. Like there are probably thousands of gay bodybuilders irl with feminine voices. That's just a dumb way of going about things.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Rinkles posted:

In the Polish language, gender is expressed in verbs. So for that version you'd need to rerecord most of the player's lines. Which maybe they'd do if this wasn't a late change? IDK if that's the reason, but I can imagine it being a production pipeline headache at this point in development.

lol I completely forgot about gendered language, it would probably be impossible to do any of this in German/Spanish/French/etc. Jesus.

I haven't played the recent Battletech game, I'm curious how they handled localization.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The old male V reminds me of Francis York Morgan lol

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I imagine there will be non-lethal weapons as well, since pacifist V is supposed to be a thing (though it might be melee/stealth combat only). Also the latest trailer showed V shooting mini-frag grenades from his/her arm too.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
CEOs are universally poo poo and have little to do with the content of the games that are produced under them. I'm gonna give the people who actually work on the games at CDPR (i.e. the people who took criticism of Wild Hunt to heart and immediately afterwards placed Ofieri POC prominently throughout Hearts of Stone) the benefit of the doubt.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

fuf posted:

Kinda weird that the twitter account is still just posting concept art instead of screenshots

tbf the concept art kinda slaps

Like this view of Night City is amazing

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
They should've just said that they aren't going to address BLM because in the world of 2077 no lives matter

It was a bad response but it was a really dumb question to begin with

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
They should've let Keanu sing one of the songs

Give the man a power ballad

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

HiroProtagonist posted:

I'm still unclear what exactly is "smart" about smart weapons.

Does it mean the projectiles home in? Or is it some flavor of accuracy bonus, a la Smartlink guns in Shadowrun? Like, hyper accurate and/or integrated with cyberware for targeting and poo poo.

They showed it on the stream, every bullet is essentially a tiny homing missile.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The online is 100% gonna be GTA/RDR2 online, you're crazy if you think otherwise

The revenue those games generate is insane

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Corte posted:

Haven't looked at much but know I'll be getting the game. Has there been any discussion of console vs PC? Keyboard/mouse vs gamepad? My PC hasn't been upgraded in a while, running an i5-4690K and GeForce GTX 970, not sure if I'll be able to upgrade for the game. I also have a PS4 Pro as an alternative.

All of the media coverage has been on PCs with gamepads. Your PC is lacking quite a bit, probably comparable to the PS4 Pro version. As a bonus, if you do get the PS4 version there is a free upgrade for PS5 next year.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
It's probably still worth waiting for the reviews, it very well could be a mess on old consoles like Control was (and we have only seen PC footage).

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The problem with No Man's Sky is that they straight up lied about what the game was gonna be in interviews and trailers, it's well documented at this point.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Back Hack posted:

"Can you pet the dog?

I didn't see any dog, but I found a cat and yes, you could pet him."

The only important information.

If you start Nomad there's an iguana and you can pet the iguana

Just putting that out there...

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1311509820147548160

Cyberpunk is gonna be all over the place for the next 7 weeks

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Still wanna know if Kojima is gonna be in this game, if they are adding YouTube/streaming personalities and Grimes how could they say no?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I really hope you can save Jackie, he’s grown on me over the last three years

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

What’s the point of that? It’s just a graphical upgrade isn’t it? Maybe I just don’t care about graphics that much, but if you’re already committing to playing on console you’ve accepted that you’re not playing on the highest settings, so why not just enjoy the game when it’s released then grab the upgrade when the patch hits?

Better yet - play it more than once! The life paths and divergent narrative will hopefully add more replayability than the Witcher 3.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
It would be ridiculously expensive to build and maintain a full-body prosthesis like Adam Smasher or Lizzy Wizzy, that seems like a thing for only the very wealthy or connected. Like the Maelstrom all probably want to go full borg but they don't have the means to do so.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1321128432370176002

lmao

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The game looks fine and I'm hopeful that the story will have the same highs as the Witcher 3 & its expansions...but man some of the lines & delivery in this video are really bad, I hope the incidental npcs they showed are just on drugs lol

Also, the Mox ripper doc is a clear homage to John Waters - they should've gotten him to do VO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
My playthrough order:

vagina, penis 1, penis 2