Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Please hire Zamilska to compose some original tracks for the game, please and thank you :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
As long as hitting someone with a technopipe feels as visceral as it did in Condemned I'm down. Might have to go the Netrunner route just to get the ability to melt everyone's frontal lobe cybernetics.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Fetko posted:

It's exactly what I want from a ghost in the shell game, and I hope cyberpunk delivers.

Just play Siren (PS2).

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
It's not cyberpunk in the slightest, just FYI. It's a Japanese survival horror game, but "sight-jacking" is a core mechanic and exactly what you described.

I love that CDPR is reinforcing the capitalist hellhole by turning the HUD into augs that cost money.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

JBP posted:

I'll be extremely surprised if rocker isn't a faction or origin you can choose from. I think they'll keep it flexible (so you do side missions to align as a rockerboy/corp/cop) but you get the cool clothes and maybe some stats, items, allies or cred for it.

The interview that one of the devs had earlier today made it sound like you would meet lots of Rocker or Corporate NPCs but not necessarily be able to incorporate some of those classes into your own character, but who knows.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

frajaq posted:

ughhhhhh

As long as there's not an LA Noire-sized gulf between the option you pick and what your character says then I'm okay with it.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Watching interviews with Mike Pondsmith is awesome. The dude is a proto-weeb who loves Persona and is stoked as hell about this game. I'm glad he's been so closely involved in development.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
An official one from CDPR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYxt7cwDk4E

One from a convention last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQXim8oKt9c

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Guess I have a couple years to re-read Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said and Neuromancer

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I think you can count on a 2020 release. It's too good to resist.

Deus Ex HR does a good job of aping the original's gameplay, but the writing is just awful. Lazy speculation on the future from the vantage point of 2013 or whenever it was released. No characters act like human beings. The world doesn't make sense as a prequel. Augmentation is elevated to a crazy level of prominence as a social issue. Basically everything in the Ross' Game Dungeon review is on point. Mankind Divided was more of the same which turned me off even though I got it for free. Just play the original Deus Ex with mods. Or Ruiner.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 15, 2018

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Look Sir Droids posted:

I felt the same way, but I blame the first person perspective. DXHR is the best FPS stealth game I’ve played, for what it’s worth. But FPS can never accomplish the peripheral vision and situational awareness of actual first person perspective. 3rd person compensates too much, but too much is better than too little in a stealth game.

Have you played Dishonored? I thought it handled FPS stealth very well, even if you don't use the x-ray vision option that has become omnipresent in games for the last decade.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I figure it's one of those gestalt things. I've seen several people describe the demo as overwhelming. It seems to be borrowing from lots of different sources and games and just presenting everything in a very dense, polished package.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
They also had the body language of someone three days out from their last hit of speed.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm going to be Johnny Sasaki so help me god

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm interested to see how seamless the game is in terms of mission transitions since menus and upgrades all seem to be diegetic.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The dissolution of traditional family units is one of the interesting things about the setting to me. Kids mostly turn into street waifs and join gangs or wind up in nomad tribes on the outskirts. I'll be interested to see if nomads show up in the game at all since it seems like driving is going to be for navigating in between Night City districts rather than going outside Night City.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
As far as I can tell none of them got to play the game so that's probably why no one has mentioned how it feels. The lasting impressions I've gotten have been about how Night City is incredibly dense and alive to a degree not yet seen in an open world game, and that everything is very fluid and seamless in terms of how your character interacts with the world.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
It's like none of those people played the heaven-sent masterpiece Deus Ex (2000) smdh

As long as I can make a JC Tenton analog idgaf

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

DancingShade posted:

I'm going to try and make autistic Sarah Ryder from the Mass Effect game that killed the franchise.

I don't think even the most generous eye slider could get you that :stare: expression.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
If you listen to the leaked audio from the demo you can clearly hear Ciri sneeze at 13:41.

Really though it was cool to hear the "wows" in the crowd when they were showing off the crowd density and stuff. Jackie's VA sounded like a mix between John DiMaggio, Danny Trejo, and one of those Arkham City goons. V sounds a bit smug which I guess is in keeping with her male counterpart's performance in the trailer. I have a feeling V's arc will be "headstrong nobody tries to take a bite out of Night City until they've bitten off more than they can chew."

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Honestly, I bet they're gonna put some sort of Ciri tease in there anyway. Everyone expects it so it's natural enough for them to play it off - even if some of the devs are annoyed with being asked about it or the idea of connecting the two games.

Cyberpunk 2020 has an insanely detailed character creation system, and I'm curious to see how much of that carries over into 2077. Not only is there your standard stuff like gender, ethnicity, and appearance but the whole Life Path system can make for some interesting backstories. Like, your parents can sell you for money into a CyberPirate fleet and all you have left of them is a family photo. Maybe someone else in the fleet frames you for a murder and now you're hunted by every Solo in town. Maybe you have a crazy ex-lover in a position of power who has an axe to grind. I know there's only so much they can do for a video game since tabletops allow for tons of variability with the player's imagination but it would be cool for a bunch of these Life Path options to be available in the character creation section, with maybe a few lines of dialog or an item or two to reinforce the Life Path in-game.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I was kinda hoping for the option of completing the game with no cybernetics at all, if only to have a Hell difficulty after beating the game a few times.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

Look at these chumps who won't be playing Hiro Protagonist

That's because Snow Crash is trash. :colbert:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

steinrokkan posted:

Hell yeah, if there is one piece of work responsible for degrading cyberpunk to the level of a shameful guilty pleasure, it's Snow Crash.

At least we're reaching the point where the present day is a somewhat interesting if very depressing Cyberpunk situation, judging from the CSPAM thread.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Ragg posted:

How do you know a megacorp hasn't hidden some nasty feature in your cyberware and one day you wake up and sell out everyone you care about :tinfoil:

This was one of the few good things about Human Revolution and I wouldn't mind something like it showing up for a quest.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm hoping they release at least part of it during Gamescom in August. In the meantime I'm reading the 2020 second edition gamebook and the Night City supplement book. There are some cool videos on YouTube of being going through character creation and running a game. Not surprising that character creation can take hours with how complex the system is.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Phoneposting but...

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Nobody steal my character

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
So glad something I wrote shat up the thread because of one idiot with preschool-level reading comprehension.

Anyway...

We already know that Combat Cabb is in the game, but I'm sincerely hoping Comrade Cab is as well. :ussr:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I don't think even the most dystopian scifi would have predicted the "sharing economy."

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I thought Mute was kinda meh except for the Sam Rockwell Moon cameo. Does Altered Carbon improve as it goes along? The first episode didn't do much for me.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Jumping back to the previous topic for a moment, are there not neo-Luddite or anti-aug communities in the Cyberpunk universe? Places where the residents have rejected cybernetics and ostracize, drive our or kill any one that strays into their territory? Not that there would be room for any such places in Night City but maybe if the (inevitable) DLC expands the map and we can go wandering around outside the city to see how rural California has become an even bigger hell hole they could factor into things.

I imagine being anti-aug in Night City (or any city) would be a good way to get yourself killed, or at the very least leave you unable to function in the modern economy.

There are a couple gangs that never or rarely use cybernetics as far as I can tell. One is a small-time Warriors-style gang called The Black Queens and another is a gang that sort of idolizes the image of the American Indian. Like its members have warrior prowess rituals like counting coup and the red right hand so using cyberware or cyberweapons is considered dishonorable. They're called the Sacred Blades.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 8, 2018

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I know CDPR has said that some characters are bisexual (and maybe V can be?), but it seems like having trans and non-binary characters would work well in a world where people basically don't consider their biology/organs to be anything essential to their identity. People with cybernetics treat removing their eyeball or hand like we would going to the dentist. On the other hand the whole cyberpsychosis thing could have weird implications. I'm only partway through Witcher 3 and the only thing I've noticed so far was a couple contrived nude scenes. Otherwise the characters and the world seem believable and relatable.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they said they were looking into trans options and gender fluidity at e3, hell they told waypoint that. Also cyberpyscosi is basically when you start replacing your arms with guns and parts of your brain with target computers. If you start turning your self into T-800. You act like it.

True, I guess it's treated more like a growing lack of empathy due to all the crazy poo poo going into your brain.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Tormented posted:

Everyone needs to calm down.

I saw like 300 new posts and thought there was a leaked video of the demo or something. No its just nerds arguing.

Lets get back to dreaming about our cyberpunk future.

I normally play Decker in cyberpunk games but I think it totally depends on how cyberspace is. Has there been anything said about how your going to be able to interact with it?

I'm pretty sure netrunners are a confirmed class but I don't think they've said anything about how the interface is going to work.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Definitely read the Cyberpunk 2020 sourcebooks if you can. CDPR could get more than enough depth in the places, characters, politics, and tech to make countless interesting quests and storylines. That's to say nothing of source inspiration outside of the tabletop. You've got Philip K Dick, William Gibson, Katsuhiro Otomo, Tsutomo Nihei, etc. They have a lot to work with.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

frajaq posted:

...even the barrels in the ocean in Skellige?

I did all of these so I had enough money and materials for every set of grandmaster armor, and it's probably the only tedious thing about doing every little marker. That's mostly because swimming is slow and the nekkers and sirens are tedious to fight. I expect I'll do every little thing in Cyberpunk too, and it seems like there's gonna be good replay value.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

fennesz posted:

I'm expecting something very similar to DX:HR stealth. Not incredibly deep by any means, but I'm expecting augments, perks and weapons to give you a lot of options regardless of however you end up wanting to play.

Hacking/Netrunning is definitely something I want to see more of. OG Deus Ex let you use hacking to bypass or neutralize lots of hostile areas by turning off cameras, unlocking doors, or making patrol bots friendly. I really want to do a lady V stealth Netrunner corpo run so hopefully hacking has a lot of depth and variety.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I guess my brain is broken because brain dance looked really cool to me but most people who got to play the game seemed not to like it. I get that it conjures up that interminable "enhance" scene from Blade Runner but it looks like a nice refinement of Witcher sense, and it seems perfectly fitting as a popular form of entertainment in this setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Utgardaloki posted:

I mean the dystopia we're currently building is ruled by people who absolutely loathe public transport funding and construction so it's depressingly realistic

True but as an extension of '80s urban decay and neoliberalization it kinda sucks not to have a usable subway system in there. I doubt it will bother me much in practice, especially if the driving feels good. I had always figured it would function as a fast travel system so I'd be curious to see what will fill that gap. Maybe taxis or just the Witcher system of warping from an overworld map.