Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I didn't give a ahit about W2 and thought W3 was loving fantastic. So yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Every build needs Acquired Tolerance if nothing else. It's an amazing boost to :catdrugs: just by itself.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I've never played any of the witcher games- how lost would I be if I tried playing the third one without the first two?

Not at all. There are recaps of major plot points from 1&2 you can read or watch if you want. I skipped playing 1 and did some 2 and forgot everything and it was no biggie.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Witcher 3 combat is neither super simple nor Dark Souls level punishment. I liked it.

The crafting system is super bloated with weapons and armor you'll never bother making though.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I honestly can't maintain interest in Prey all the way through, even though I love that kind of game in general.

It doesn't help that almost all the bad guys are variations on "scary black cloud." :effort:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Not that it really has any bearing on how :krad: Cyberpunk 2077 will be, but uh was the tabletop Cyberpunk game any good?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Finally have a reason to upgrade my PC within the next year.

Well, more of a PRETEXT really. :awesomelon:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Sleazy exploitative corporate advertising in MY dystopian future?

:wotwot:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

CharlestonJew posted:

That dick is banging and this game is going to rule

Tom of (Post-Cyberpocalyptic) Finland lives! :dong::awesomelon:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I don't expect this game to represent trans people in any meaningful way. It would be great if it did it well, of course.

I also don't think something that's going to be a blink-and-you-miss-it background image in the actual game bears this much scrutiny.

Pussy Cartel posted:

I'm trans and I'm actually completely fine with that poster. To me it really does seem like just the typical lurid exploitation we can usually expect from corporate advertising campaigns, and the name is seems to me to just be playing on the word "chrome" and the tendency of people in CP2020 et al. to indulge in all sorts of radical body modifications for fun and profit. :shrug:

I'd totally get a Mr. Studd if I could, too.

Not a trans person but this was my read too FWIW. I mean, if you imagine that trans people become more accepted generally, but corporate advertising is just as exploitative and lowest-common-denominator as ever, you're gonna get something like this. It seems like an obvious outcome to me.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I honestly don't think this ad that's basically a background image within the game really bears the weight that's being put upon it.

If the game actually depicts trans characters as interesting, rounded people that would be positive.

If the game depicts trans characters as gross/bad/evil because they're trans people that would be negative.

If the game just punts on depicting LGBTQ anything because it's not worth the pain in the rear end that would also be a negative.

But this in-game background image won't have much of anything to do with any of that either way.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Pylons posted:

Because it kind of ties into the transphobic idea that trans people are a "third gender" and not, you know, the gender they identify as.

Uh do you not know what not-binary/genderqueer is?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Pylons posted:

Non-binary/genderqueer doesn't mean "inbetween male and female" it means something else entirely, to me.

Nobody cares what it means to you because you don't get to tell people what their gender identity is. Its actual meaning is:

quote:

Non-binary people may identify as having two or more genders (being bigender, trigender, or pangender);[2] having no gender (being agender, nongendered, genderless, genderfree or neutrois); moving between genders or having a fluctuating gender identity (genderfluid);[3] or being third gender or other-gendered, a category that includes those who do not place a name to their gender.[4]

Basically it has no one meaning because, by definition, the people expressing it get to decide for themselves where they fall on the spectrum, or if it's a spectrum at all, or something else completely.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

CascadeBeta posted:

By that logic, as a trans person, you don't get to be the arbiter of what is offensive to trans people.

Sure. Being offended is something an individual experiences; somebody else can't say it didn't happen. Nobody has to feel the same way as anybody else about it, either.

Pylons posted:

How does that mean "in-between male and female" exactly?

Ask one of the people who ID that way?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

CascadeBeta posted:

So by your hosed up logic, trans people can't exist because they might identify outside of your arbitrary and narrow specifications for what gender is?

You're a shithead.

Wait, what? No, I'm saying the opposite: trans people get to define their own gender as whatever they want!

I don't get to say if you are male, female, in-between, both, neither, or whatever. You do.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

CascadeBeta posted:

You're right. I misread your post. My bad. I'm sorry.

No worries. :)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I thought the three heros were anticorp / neutral / corp

Yeah, but in this setting corporations are 1,000% evil.

Just like real life. :ussr:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Everybody has said what they wanted to say multiple times in different forms, and it's gone nowhere... mostly because we actually know nothing about this stupid game but some pictures and brief gameplay snippets that might not even be in the release version.

Developed trans characters would be great, but also we've seen no character development of anybody in this game because we've only seen brief snippets that might not even be in the release version next year.

Witcher 3's representation of anybody that wasn't a white dude was ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so I'm not expecting this game to let freedom ring or anything, but I'm not gonna bury them before the game can even be played just based on a poster in the background of a promotional image nVidia used for raytracing tech.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Pylons posted:

The artist literally said that they designed the ad to be bigoted because it's meant to be a criticism of the way sex is used to sell products.

Depiction isn't endorsement. Raiders of the Lost Ark didn't endorse Nazis because it showed Nazis doing Nazi poo poo.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

CascadeBeta posted:

You do realize a lot of people took that propaganda at face value and went "Hell yeah, death to the foreign hordes!", right?

By your reasoning satire just shouldn't exist, because there are always people who take it as endorsing what it's attacking. Starship Troopers was the most bluntly unsubtle anti-militaristic movie imaginable, and plenty of people still took it as AMERICA gently caress YEAH!

Pylons posted:

... Bioshock Infinite is *really* not a good argument to use if you're trying to defend CDPR.

Yeah, but at the same time I don't think they were pro-KKK because they showed guys in hoods who were members of a racism club with racist posters... who you're expected (required, really) to blow to bits without mercy.

(Bioshock Infinite has aged super duper badly on about 100,000 different levels though, yikes)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Pylons posted:

I'm not saying it was a lie, I'm saying if that isn't obvious within the work itself then most people aren't going to go the extra mile and look up the artist and learn that it is satire.

You mean the work we haven't really seen 99.9999999999% of because it won't be released until next year?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Pussy Cartel posted:

The day we become as accepted in the public eye as any cis person is the day we'll end up being even more sexualized and objectified in the media and advertising. :capitalism:

Then we're back to people arguing that showing a bad thing is the same as endorsing a bad thing,because someone, somewhere will miss the intent and take it literally and whelp.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

New Cyberpunk idea! How about an NPC that's named "Gerry Silverhair" in honor of Keanu Reeves, but he's voiced by Doug Cockle?

That sound like a George Clooney character.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. There’s a 95-pound Chinese man with 160 million dollars behind this door."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Pattonesque posted:

who would have thought we'd get that level of inclusion for a giant robot strategy game based on a 1980's tabletop milsim

Not just that, actually I'm pretty sure it lets you use any of the slider options on any of the face shapes, regardless of if you select he/she/they as your identifier. As near as I can tell none of the options are tagged male/female so you can make any combination you want of "masculine"/"feminine" or what have you. You can also change all your pilots any way you want too, except maybe the special ones that were put in for the game's Kickstarter backers. Heck, the voices are all just numbered rather than being separated as for male or female characters. Of course

Skippy McPants posted:

It probably helped that the lead game designer is trans, but yeah that was a nice touch.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

ufarn posted:

I could do without the Deus Ex air vents this time, though.

One of the previews made a comment about it being "A little like Deus Ex without all the air vents."

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

The thing I’m the most concerned about is how Arkane and Deus Ex and Fallout all do this thing in the last generation where they always include lockpicking and hacking... but then the security password or a set of lockpicks is usually just in the desk down the hall, and every level seems designed with this in mind.

Please make hacking a meaningful and beneficial way to play the game that encourages player agency and not just a way to read the worlds most boring library of employee intrigue emails

Apparently hacking can do all kinds of poo poo besides open doors, like a bad guy could be using a weight machine and you can remotely hack it to put a metric ton on the bar and crush him, because every goddamn thing in the future has a chip in it..

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

I loved W3 'bad' ending.

Thing is, it's bad for the character, but narratively it was a good ending.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

It really is a great scene.

My dad played W3 without knowing there were multiple endings, and while a great parent IRL got the You Were a Bad Parent ending and liked how it wrapped the game up.

:dadjoke:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It seems like CPU performance has been pretty stagnant as far as games go for a long-rear end time. If you're not trying to run at ultra detail in 4K you probably just need to make sure you have 16 GB RAM, an SSD so the load times aren't terrible, and a good video card.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

I thought the thing on "classes" is that there weren't any set classes but there were three skill trees that you could develop to create as well-rounded of a PC as you wanted.

That's what they said.

Paweł Sasko, lead of the quest team posted:

You can pick skills from the tree of the Techie, of a Solo, and of a NetRunner. But you can combine them in different ways, like you can do whatever you want with your build, pretty much. And what we are trying to do in this game, in the quest design, is we’re using all that information about the player, about the custom characters the players build, to give you different paths.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

How would we know it's crass and exploitative otherwise?

What point do you think you're making here? :confuoot:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I just realized Star Citizen is still a going concern in 2019 and had a good chuckle.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I just started re-playing Human Revolution to kill time until The Outer Worlds comes out (to kill time until 2077 comes out...), and it's still pretty fun! Most faces look really bad even for its age, but otherwise the stylized gold-tinted graphics are at least interestingly different.

I agree the melee takedown/kill system is extremely :effort: but then again I do use it constantly, so I guess I shouldn't bitch too much?

Me: This mechanic sucks.
Also me: :f5: :bern101:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Its not that Deus Ex punishes you for using your cool stuff, it's that while in HR you're fighting a gritty PMC who is 100% evil, all the "bad guys" in MD are differing levels of grey and I never felt like I could morally unload all my sweet toys on them because they were just like regular cops and gangsters who didn't really seem to be doing too much of anything wrong (except the one mission where they were holding the hacker lady hostage, i murdered all those dudes.

HR really flips a switch at the point where you see the evil cyber-merc from the opening scene and his goons and it's like :killing:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Dude it's in the goddam title of the thread. Do you post by echolocation?

:eng101: On the awful app you can't see full thread titles unless they're very short without manually scrolling.

Not that they couldn't have just googled it of course.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I think when most people talk about how great anything in the ME series was you can usually just assume they're referring to ME2, aside from multiplayer.

Yeah, 2 plays way better than 1 and doesn't have the incredibad ending of 3 to taint how you felt about playing it after the fact.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Probably help that you can actually interact with people and choose your dialogue and not just cry constantly about slaves killing their masters.

Bioshock Infinite has aged super badly, yikes.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It was never good. I remember playing up to the part where Daisy Fitzroy betrays you for no good reason and suddenly all the Vox Populi want to kill you too and thinking "lol what utter bullshit trash".

I'd say they made a great game... for as much of the game as the typical reviewer actually played before writing their review.

It looks great and sounds great and hints at a ton of cool poo poo. The setup of the cheery Americana-that's-actually-a-dystonia was really good. You get to murder a not-KKK chapter full of people who jerked off to the Lincoln assassination, which was nice.

The problem was that the payoffs for everything they set up and hinted at ended up being pure rear end - the narrative, the politics, the alternate reality time travel bullshit, all of it. That just left you with a mediocre shooter that would never end.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah those were the good points of the game. The non-combat sections where you wander around Columbia's Disneyland-like facade were quite fun, although VERY linear and scripted compared to Bioshock. And they really TRIED to write a good story, they just... Utterly failed in several key moments. Like the fact that you have to murder the Vox Populi just as much you murder the aforementioned racist fascists.

The gameplay was total trash though. Well, I mean, it was all right if you like generic shooters, but if you wanted something that felt like System Shock 2 or Bioshock, well... Sorry.

That's a bit hyperbolic. He just felt the need to top the craziness and twists in every successive game instead of focusing on making an engaging and cohesive story.

His ethics are like a parody of the liberal coward. "Being intolerant of intolerance is just as bad as being intolerant!" said nobody who was ever a victim of anything in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I just need something to play until this comes out since I've played Witcher 3/Fallout New Vegas/Fallout 4/all the Deus Ex games to death.

The Outer Worlds wasn't it.