Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I just had a premonition that CDPR are going to release CP2077 during E3 in the manner of showing off a cool new trailer which ends with the words "Release date... Out Now"

Am I demented?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Well I guess that's cut my budding clairvoyant career short then.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

At the end of the day, they're in the enviable position that no matter what they do, however they launch, whatever plan they use or whatever fuckup happens, it won't matter because the game will be an instant platinum hit either way. I suppose that's why I was thinking "wouldn't it be cool if..." because this is one of the few cases where they could do it and it wouldn't matter.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

...but if you think their marketing department isn't chomping at the bit to justify their budgets, welp... :nallears:

Pulling an "out now" stunt would provide an avenue to cut marketing costs. They only need a bare minimum anyway because the Hype is already at fever pitch right now from what, 3 or 4 trailers and videos? If they have anything near the quality level of The Witcher 3 on their hands the internet and word of mouth will market the game all by itself.

I mean, I know really that it's not going to happen, it's just a cool "imagine if they did that" scenario, for such a huge game.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah I generally have and follow my rules of "never preorder" and especially after No Man's Sky: "never buy into hype", but I've loved all three of the Witcher games and I like CDPR's business practices enough (what I've seen anyway - I'm sure someone could probably disabuse me of that by dredging something up but please don't, I have to believe there is some good in the world) that I don't mind breaking those rules for this game based on their proven track record.

I'm planning on upgrading my PC for this game. I've been meaning to do it for about two years now and have been putting it off, so having this downloaded and ready to go on launch day on a newly upgraded system is something I'm quietly looking forward to. Plus being able to take part in all the week one discussion about the game at the same time everyone else is discovering it, which is something I rarely get to do since I usually wait for the first sale on most of the games I want to buy. Unless they happen to come out around payday and I'm drunk at my desk...

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Keep tickling my balls :allears:

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I think pre-ordering is like lots of things that you know you generally shouldn't do, which have good, well-established reasons why you shouldn't do them. It's okay to make an exception every once in a while for reasons that are to you, in that particular case, good reasons. As any veteran player of CDPR works will know, it's never black and white.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Never ever ever preorder games. Except do it once in a while when it makes you feel good.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

El_Elegante posted:

Sounds like a compelling reason to play on an easy difficulty.

No, disagree. Play on Death March right from the start. That first ghoul fight might kick your rear end a few times (I did it after 10 or so attempts), but once you've learned when to dodge and when to roll in that fight - which that difficulty setting will absolutely force you to do in order to win the fight - you'll be set for the rest of the game and even Death March gets too easy at some point.

I say this as someone that hasn't yet done the DLCs. I hear they tweaked the difficulty to actually make the highest one as grueling as it should probably be expected to be.

Cyberpunk will... or might... be cooler than Silksong. Argh then again... poo poo now I'm torn. They better not come out at the same time is all I can say.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

i have cyberpunk news

hot off the presses

ultra hyper-exclusive

4 goons only

r u rdy???????

Cyberpunk... Good?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'd be happy with a city that's the area of an early GTA game like vice city, if having that is a tradeoff for literally every single building and skyscraper being fully explorable and unique. I'd rather that than a massive city full of blocks covered with beautiful textures of doors and storefronts you cant enter, with only story based locations having any depth to them like in GTA V.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I have just under a year to upgrade my PC.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

BBC interview with Keanu Reeves.

Sorry if it got posted already but I just skipped past all that other stuff that was in the thread before.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

ItBreathes posted:

Remember every game you got super hyped for, and then it was a video game when it came out? Expect that.

I'm waiting, waiting patiently for the game that comes out and breaks this concept over its knee. It hasn't happened yet, and I don't even think we're close. But one day, processing power will be ample enough, optimisation techniques will be efficient enough and the library of past games, mechanics and shared knowledge will have evolved enough to make it possible.

CDPR are one of the devs right now taking the biggest steps toward this, so good for them.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Wanna make my V a big fat greasy 59 year old that smokes and drinks too much and has no charisma. Gonna roll-play this like it's my actual future.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Does anyone really want to play Cyberpunk 2077 for anything except the experience of finally having your 90s tabletop groups' experiences replicated in HD?

I think you may perhaps have an inflated sense of how many people have actually had tabletop roleplaying experience.

It's a vanishingly small amount of people. Relatively. :ssh:

It's something I would've loved to have done but there was literally nobody in school that would have even known what it was, let alone gone along with giving it a try. Consider yourself lucky and privileged to have had peers of a like mind.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

I sure wish video games didn’t make people so mad

They don't though. The vast majority of the outrage in these situations is put on, and even if it wasn't the best thing anyone can do is to completely ignore it. Like, don't even dignify it with ANY kind of response, and make this one of those unwritten agreements that everyone in the industry agrees is how they'll deal with these kinds of manufactured twitter-storms in future. It's a pipe dream I know but wouldn't it be nice.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm extremely disappointed that no-one has addressed the most important question about this game: will you be able to roast a marshmallow and will you have full control over the roasting process?

The bar for GOTY content has been raised and we need to know if CDPR are going to be responsive to this.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Lots of gamers really want a game to come out and give them The Matrix so their lives suddenly have new meaning.

Its weird.

Check out the Star Citizen thread, there's like a serious cult mentality among some nerds, some weird twist of human psychology has them pining for a virtual universe and somehow believing its plausible in 2019.

For me, overhyping myself for a game is not this. Meaning in my life is not something I'm chasing by playing games, that would be ludicrous. Every now and then, a game comes out that sucks me in and grabs me, and I either immediately or slowly realise as I'm playing it that "wow, this is the next iteration - nothing I've played has done this before/done this this well before".

It happened when I first played Doom on a 386, after growing up on Amstrad cpc games, then I played the very first Tomb Raider on the PS1 and I got that feeling again. And then again when Voodoo GPUs came out along with Half Life and Unreal, and yet again with Half life 2 and the physics engine they had invented. It's happened less and less as technology innovation has slowed and I've gotten older, but some other notable mentions were when I played the first 3D GTA, when I created that very first Minecraft world, when I first logged into WoW and began exploring that world with other people, the Nemesis System from SoM (which no-one seems to have taken and done anything with so far, which is a shame), and most recently, while playing Subnautica, Hollow Knight, and the Witcher 3.

All of these titles gave my that feeling that I'm playing something special because they either did something I had never encountered before in a game, or they refined something or pulled together disparate elements of gameplay and/or storytelling in an exceptional way. Other games may have tried prior to that and for whatever reason had not got it quite right. That's what I'm hoping for when I allow myself to get hyped for a game, and after the No Man's Sky debacle where I thoroughly and shamelessly allowed myself to get sucked into the hype cycle and the inevitable disappointment that followed, I reserve that for people with proven track records now y'know, like these guys.

So yeah I'm hyped up, but I know it's just a videogame. What I'm hoping it does (with a reasonable amount faith because I've literally seen these people do this before) is that CP2077 pushes something about how videogames work, or how they present their stories or something I haven't even thought of yet, into raising-the-bar territory, to suck me in and give me the feeling that I'm playing something exceptional, something that is the latest iteration of how cool and fun a videogame can be. That's what I'm chasing and IMO that's a reasonable thing to desire, and it's why this game is second only to SilkSong on my wishlist.

Lol so many words about videogames oh well who cares :justpost:

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I am though.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I care, Cactus! I read it all :)

I don't think Cyberpunk 2077 is really going to do anything new though. Its just going to do a lot of really cool things well. Its gonna be an RPG with an amazing world and amazing art with state of the art graphics. And for me, that's enough.

You're right that something fresh and new feels great in a way the sequel of the year doesn't, and I also look forward to games like Half-Life and Portal which really blow me away with something I've never seen before. But doing totally new things is expensive and time consuming, since you have to take risks and make mistakes and re-do things as you learn, so not a lot of game companies are willing to do it. That's big part of why its rare. As the industry gets bigger the budgets get bigger and the risk gets bigger, even if the potential profits get bigger too, risk aversion becomes the name of the game.

We do get new fresh game designs here and there, but I haven't seen anything about Cyberpunk that I haven't done already in another game really. It just looks super slick. Its Deus Ex Witcher, almost exactly that, so I don't see how it can do anything I haven't done before, as I've played all Deus Ex games to completion and most of Witcher 3. But I'm also totally fine with that.

I do want to see more original games though. And yeah, that is significantly different from the matrix-game that some people seem to be hyping themselves for.

Oh poo poo I forgot Portal that definitely is on my list!

I'm expecting the same from CP2077 as I got from Witcher 3. Witcher 3 wasn't special because it did anything no-one had done. Everything in that game can be found in other games preceding it. Some games have stories as well-written and voice-acted, but they're quite small and focused. Other games have much bigger worlds than it, but they feel sterile and the stories fragmented. Some games have better fighting systems and graphics, but their story sucks rear end and they're over in 5 hours.

What the Witcher 3 did that I hadn't seen done before is have all of these things in the same game, all executed really well and fitting together. If CP2077 does exactly what TW3 did but use the experience gained from making TW3 to make it even more refined and improved, then yeah that's exactly what I'm looking for.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Anime_Otaku posted:

Things are getting a little meta, there may be some kind of international conspiracy working through multiple companies, including video game press organisations, to harm GOG that’s behind the recent bad publicity against CDPR and CP2077 on behalf of Epic and their investors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFXk5Bte1FQ

Before I fritter away nineteen minutes of my life watching this, is it the usual youtube conspiracy-crap or is there anything to it?

Edit: fuckk that actually I'm gonna watch this what was in the sidebar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNZkTk5gLuo

and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOYKIxIjLs0

I haven't seen either before.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 20, 2019

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Holy poo poo there are even more noclip docs about TW3 how did I not know about these?!?

That zero zero bug story was hilarious.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

One improvement I hope they make to the game over the others they've done is finding a way to have less instances of performing an action and suddenly seeing the "X quest abandoned" message pop up on the screen. I know it happens anyway as you make choices, you lock yourself out of some content because that's the inherant nature of branching story paths, but I really dislike the feeling it gives me when it makes it as explicit and gamey as that.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Alchenar posted:

So having completed my re-run, I was struck by how every mission area is literally about 3 rooms. It's not just the game as a whole that's tiny - every individual component is tiny as well.

That kinda actually sounds refreshing. The number of games I've played that I never finished due to their size I'd estimate to be in the mid-90% range. These days I like smaller, more compact focused experiences (e.g. outer wilds rn) rather than these sprawling vast open worlds with a thousand sidequests and collectibles that take hours to slog through.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

ufarn posted:

The worst thing about this game is how people are gonna start saying "this is just like Cyberpunk 2077" when they see something moderately technological like annoying people do with Black Mirror.

The only solution is to become a Gate Keeper and make all the new people feel unwelcome for not paying their dues by not having been fans before it was cool. It's the only way they'll know their place.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Rebel Blob posted:

Huh... CP isn't really a great acronym.

Shall we start a conspiracy theory?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Every game should just rip Warframes movement system imo. So liberating...

Like I hope theres a set of cyber mods you can spec for that results in similar kind of movement abilities in this game because I'll build to that for sure.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Since the other models all look great the explanation is obviously that Keanu looks kinda blocky and poorly defined in real life.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Will there be coitus in my cyberblat?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Hey mr lebowski dude, will I be able to stand on my head in this game and masturbate and get it in my eye so that my eye implant shorts out and then when I get repaired will there be a bit of incidental dialogue about what I did? Like y'know humorous?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

can we change thread title to John Neomonwick will be waiting for you on 5/21/2021(euros get hosed)

How come we're getting hosed? Are there release schedule shenanigans going on? I booked the week off work...

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Oh I see I just didn't get a really obvious joke :doh:

Bust Rodd posted:

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1206747824181800961

Not all the time, but sometimes these collector’s guides stay highly collectible, even if the games get patched enough into being outdated. At $30 this seems pretty good.

I would never get this to actually open and read myself (wouldn't want to spoil myself on a first playthrough, and the internet will better provide what I would want from it on subsequent ones,) but if limited edition, would I be able to sell it as new a few years later for profit?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

First edition Bloodborne guides on Ebay are like $100-$120 and Bayonetta first edition Strategy guide is like $350+ so very likely yes

Looks like I've just found my chistmas present to myself then.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

Lol just like use google how are strategy guides even real lol.

Well exactly but if people are willing to pay 5 or 6 times what they're worth at original point of sale later on then that'll take care of most of my christmas shopping a few years from now.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I swear if this game has a sewer level instant no-buy.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

More like dark holes ROFL

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

The likelihood of a white tech billionaire with an accent being a villain in this game is close to 100% so...

Well, they have to have some realism.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I tried to get back into my witcher 3 game the other day, which I left about a year ago having completed the main campaign. I couldn't remember anything and the first fight I got into where I had to fight a group of soldiers while investigating a murder in one of the first hearts of stone quests absolutely kicked my arse, repeatedly.

I'd got tonnes of stuff in my inventory I have no idea why I was keeping, I couldn't remember how the skills potions and signs work, or anything about any of the threads of the stories and quests I have in my questbook and I'll be hosed if I can be bothered to play through the whole game again. On top of that I'm fighting against recent muscle memory of Assasin's Creed and Switch Warframe gamepad controls so was constantly pressing the wrong buttons on stuff. The entire experience was miserable so I turned it off.

It's a shame really, because I was hoping to get through the DLCs before cyberblyat comes out and it looks like it'll be years and years until I see them now, if at all. Gonna have to completely forget that game before I ever pick it up again.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

That's just a sneaky way to trick my brain into accepting the inevitable second playthrough.

I like it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yesssss this is great news, for me anyway.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah this is another six months for me to rebuild my PC and get the specs up to snuff

frajaq posted:

honestly this is the upside of this for me lol

Same. I was forced into an earlier than planned upgrade late last year when my motherboard conked out, and now I've replaced everything except my 970. This delay will ensure the remainder of that is paid off, and I'll have enough time to save up for and splurge a naughty amount of cash on whatever the successor to the 2080ti ends up being. I was worried that I was going to have to make a decision between waiting for that so as not to buy the overpriced flagship card late in the gen, or wait on playing this game (which was never going to happen.) I wanna play this with raytracing on at a gazillion frames per second - and I'm sure CDPR want us to as well. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if we were to learn that they have been in talks with Nvidia, Msoft & Sony et al and that this is entirely a business decision to everyones mutual benefit rather than a state-of-the-game type decision. That is not to say the extra time to polish and tweak will not be put to good use but also, hopefully, a bunch of devs are going home at 5pm every night over the next six to eight months.

Gonna start my Witcher 3 replay soon :getin: