Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Hyped for this poo poo. DMC3-4 are some of the best action games ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The REAL Goobusters posted:

capcom is legit back and im so happy. holy poo poo

This. Also there is rumors that they will reveal RE2 remake at sony.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Also can I just say: gently caress DmC

Agreed. If it wasn't called DmC I would say it is fine. Ninja Theory make some fun adventure games but that wasn't a DMC game.

Also hottake, people who liked DmC are babies who couldn't enjoy the dept of the original 4.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I think if they wanted to outsource DMC there is only 2 teams that could have made a respectable DMC game. Team Ninja who makes Ninja Gaiden/Nioh, their stories aren't whacky like capcom but the combat and boss design is on par with Capcom imo.

Other team is obviously Platinum Games who are a bunch of ex capcom employees and they have DMC creator Kamiya. They have the same high pace action like Capcom games and they have almost the same whacky cheesy stories.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya that trailer has cool new in game stuff. Also Nero has more than 1 weapon now?(during air combo)

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Ninja Theory consistently makes games that are 6-7/10 and then get bumped up ~2 points or so because game journalists are trash garbage. DmC getting swept under the rug warms the cockles of my heart.

I don't want to generalize but I mostly agree with this. I feel like games like Dark Souls did help a few journalist become better at games. In the past a lot of the harder games were niche so they were ignored but with Souls being so huge they couldn't ignore it. Also game journalists mostly just rush the game on easy or normal and never replay it. So I can see why they would like DmC which is easy as gently caress and a 1 playthrough game with 0 depth. The original qaurtet was best when replayed on harder difficulties like Dante must die, heaven or hell, hell or hell.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Speak for yourself. Unless you were playing the series for the first time, the harder difficulties were the best. Ya I can see hell or hell being only for a small hardcore amount of people.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ripping off his arm to protect him makes sense in DMC but also what does Dante have to do this. Will he try to convince Nero that Vergil isn't a baddy?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Uncle Dante needs to have no trickster style. Can't double jump or air dash due his old age.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

When Nero is doing the throw move in the trailer is that the devil arm or robotic? I can't tell.

I wonder if you start the game with devil arm and lose it mid way?

Also if this is clearly post 4 what weapon does Vergil have? He didn't even need a weapon to rip off Nero's arm and we know Dante has his sword.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

No, Dante gave Yamato to Nero at the end of 4. And casually turns out that Nero stores it inside his Devil Bringer.

There was a rumor going around that Vergil would start the game on his corrupted state and would simply use his fists and legs to fight. That would've been awesome.

poo poo I forgot about that. I need to go and replay the whole collection.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

David D. Davidson posted:

I'm pretty sure that you'd have to kill Rupert Langdon to keep him from voicing Dante, he came im for Marvel vs Capcom 3 and infinite as well as the Anime. He also mocaps him too.

It's Reuben Langdon. He also does mocap for Chris Redfield.

The Japanese VA for Dante does Ryu, Leon, Sephiroth and Griffith. That is actually a pretty impressive range...

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

esperterra posted:

tbh as an overall product I could get behind 'DMC4 wasn't great' in the sense it was an unfinished mess of a product that fell apart at the end. I've also never been a fan of Nero (though he plays fun as hell and functions as an 'easier' way to play the game to ramp up to when you finally get to play as Dante w/ the style switching) so there's that.

But the mechanics of that game were near loving perfect holy gently caress did they ever take the concepts from DMC3 and turn them into something goddamn beautiful.

e: ^^ also the dante cutscenes are top tier

Ya DMC4 in the gameplay department is the best imo. The style switching in combat takes it to another level from DMC3.

Only problem like DMC4 is the dante part of the campaign being the same as Nero.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

alcharagia posted:

BANG BANG BANG PULL MY DEVIL TRIGGER

I always loved the DMC in game music. Gets you pumped to kick some demon rear end.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I thought it looked like the Scalebound mc Drew their face is a bit different but they have the same exact hair. Short spiky and white.

Also loving Scalebound's mc's name was Drew. That has to be the worst game character name ever.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I actually like her hick accent it's kinda likable in a way.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

You're right, a real person would never ever ever wear anything like that.

Was he referring to the new chick? Because that definitely doesn't seem gratuitous or fanservicey design to me.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Irrc DMC4 and it's special edition both sold incredibly well. I believe around 4m which was less than 3. DmC was really bad in sales compared to 4 though.

Also about game journalists issue. I am not sure but I just feel like game journalists never liked DMC. They either called it stupid, too hard or too oldschool/traditional design with menus/levels. Game journalists love scripted/cinematic games like Last of Us or Uncharted which are basically Oscar bait but in videogame form.

Ninja Theory also are loved by journalists because journalists/reviewers don't have a time to replay a game or get good at it. Ninja Theory's games are all one and done with some story, easy as gently caress and 0 replay value. So it fits all the criteria's for the perfect journalist game.

Seriously Gamespot reviewed DMC4 6/10 and gave DmC 8/10. It's probably not the same person but still game journalists/reviewers are insufferable. Thats why I only listen to Giantbomb because they don't review anything.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Zedd posted:

DmC's gameplay was serviceable, like I had an okay time with it. I won't blind myself to the fact that it was fun enough to play trough once.
It just lacked the depth and skillcap of "real" DMC. and this is coming from a person that struggles with anything the first 2 difficulty settings. If even I can see the lack of depth, while struggling at beating the game on the easier settings...

Yes I hate DmC not because it is a garbage game it is serviceable like all Ninja Theory games but it is not a DMC game nor is it anything as close to good as them.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

There's an item in Bayonetta which references a witch named Eva entering a pact with a Legendary Dark Knight.

There's lots of cute references to DMC in Bayonetta.

Also I forgot if this happens in the other DMC games but in DMC1 Dante's shadow shows his devil form and Bayonetta's shadow also shows her "demon".

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Is the difference between dmc4 and dmc4se just the characters? I already played 4 on consoles but want to get it on pc. I heard the original 4 is broken on pc or something?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

DMC3 has the busted-rear end PC port. If anything, the first DMC4 PC port was one of the best PC ports of the time, along with RE5.

Oh my bad. Ya I mixed up those two. I guess I will get SE since it has more characters even though I will mostly play Nero/Dante.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The Colonel posted:

at least give vergil a shot once you beat nero and dante's story, he has the most unique playstyle of the added characters

I remember being hyped to play Vergil in DMC3SE but he was very simple compared to Dante imo. I never finished it with Vergil but he was fun for a few hours.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

DMC4SE Vergil has a special meter that powers up his attacks that you increase by walking menacingly towards enemies. It owns.

The Colonel posted:

dmc4se vergil plays different from how he did in dmc3

K that sounds cool as hell. The 3 Vergil was way too basic.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I was writing an effort post but it's not worth it. Anyway, DmC is not that bad*, it's incredibly unlikely that journos were paid by Capcom, and it's more likely that their opinions of the fanbase were colored by the initial backlash to the first teaser trailer and having seen promising new directions for other gaming series sort of taken down by conservative and vocal fan backlash.

* still the second to last in my rankings of the series, but significantly closer to the quality of the other games than DMC2 ever was

Ya I doubt that was the case. I don't follow game journalists other than maybe Giantbomb who are super transparent and was basically created because one of the founders refused to give a good review to Kane n Lynch a game that was paying Gamespot for promotion/etc. I remember when DmC came out everyone in their team loved it despite not being fans of the original series.

I already did a longer post in this thread on how Ninja Theory games are like the oscar bait of videogames. Their games will always get good reviews because the cinematic/linear/casual combat/0 replay value or difficulty is perfect for REVIEWERS and game journalists.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I understand where you are coming from DMC1 is different from 3/4 which is the type of action the series is known for. But 1 is still a great game. It has a very different atmosphere you can tell it was a resident evil game with how much Gothic horror there is. 2 is not worth playing for any reason. I was introduced to dmc with 2 so I have a special place for it even though it is a horrible game.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Or Chaos Legion, apparently 5 has some elements from that game in it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The only good thing from 2 was the different demon forms you acquired. Was 2 the one where if you devil triggered at low health you would be the full demon version or did that start in 1?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Got HD collection on steam and DMC4SE. Really excited to replay one of the best action series ever. I also have DmC. Will probably play them all slowly till next year and try finish all difficulties.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

For the DMC collection on steam is there any big bugs for DMC1? I heard that is the only one with issues.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

SpazmasterX posted:

Capcom has several IPs with fanbases spanning literal decades and they poo poo up every single one somehow. Thankfully they realized what they did and some of them, like DMC, RE, and Mega Man have recovered. The same can not be said for franchises like Onimusha and Dead Rising though.

Dead Rising I think is fine and there seems to be people who liked it even though I thought only the first 2 were really good and others just average. I think the latter Dead Rising were way too bland and not as charming as the first 2. Also they put out way too many dead risings if you count all the stuff like case closed and mini games/expansions.

Also most Japanese publishers have ridiculous expectations. Like Square expecting every game to sell 5 million+.

Capcom seem to be learning from their mistakes though. DmC sold well below their expectations and they still returned to the franchise.

A month or two before E3 Capcom reregistered a bunch of trademarks for Onimusha, some people were speculating it to be a hd collection like DMC.

I can't but feel optimistic with Capcom these days. Everyone at E3 raved about MM11, RE2 and DMCV looks to be hitting all the right notes. IF they bring any other franchises like Dragons Dogma, Onimusha, Dino Crisis, Ace Attourney I lose my poo poo even more.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The Colonel posted:

no? a lot of japanese games are mid-budget titles that hit like 500k in sales and still manage to break even, square enix is a bad example because they try to be like a major aaa publisher but it's just not something that's feasible for them. add onto that a few years of financial difficulty caused by mismanagement with major final fantasy games and you have them pinning those difficulties on lower than expected sales for their western titles as a scapegoat

and capcom is just cheap and mismanaged to hell in general. there's never been a time in their history where good games weren't made in spite of terrible management

Ya you are right there are actually aren't that many BIG Japanese publishers. Square and Capcom seem to be the ones with the crazy expectations. Konami was a big publisher once upon a time. Bandai Namco are doing pretty well with all their mid budget anime games. Sega is a shadow of it's former self.

Anyway Japanese devs have always used creativity to undermine any budget issues and they have mostly done a good job.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mans posted:

tbh i never head of dragon's dogma. is it good and sold poorly or is it just poor?

It is good and sold a decent amount for a new IP(4m). Like others said Capcom didn't show off anything good about it and entirely blundered the marketing. It looked like a generic rpg medieval game but it was basically action game with rpg mechanics and medieval setting. They rereleased it on PS4/XB1 which is always a good sign.

I am pretty sure most of the sales of this game were due to word of mouth and the fanbase. The reviewers thought it was average to good.

Also saw this on the subreddit.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

CordlessPen posted:

"Devil May Cry 5 is the Dark Souls of video games"

Game journalists are awful. That's why youtubers have taken over their jobs.

So we just gotta wait till Gamescom for more info. Itsuno said it would be playable and hopefully it is public so we get some footage.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya there are definitely awful youtubers but there are lots of good content makers for gaming on youtube. Just for action games there are a bunch of interesting channels like Thegamingbritshow or Turbo Button.

In terms of journalist or traditional reviewers there isn't anything worth reading for games. I just read the thread here or even reddit/steam reviews are better than journalists reviews.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Dante looked completely batshit crazy in terms of gameplay but his facial model also looked less creepy.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Senile uncle Dante's harem keeps growing.

Also if you are not gonna use the motorcycle dual swords as your main weapon what is wrong with you!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

gently caress was kinda busy the last few weeks. Just saw Dante's weapons. Holy poo poo this game is gonna be fun.

Extra points for Dante doing Jojo poses.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

This game looks amazing. Too bad Dante Coat edition is 8k I would have bought it if the price wasn't absurd.

Capcom has been on fire recently other than their fighting games. Capcom have done all their series justice recently but I really hope we get a sequel to Dragons Dogma or a remaster of Godhand.

Jack Trades posted:

Is Chaos Legion worth playing? I've heard a lot about it and while it sounded like it wasn't amazing it also seemed like it was interesting enough to be worth a playthrough, especially if you like this genre?

I played it recently and nah it doesn't hold up imo. Visually it's fine but the controls are really bad.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

Looks like it. A sorta amalgam of Vergil's moveset (teleport, summon swords (?), maybe concentration meter) and Chaos Legion (but not quite).
That Bear/Cat thing also reminds me of the Shadow cats from DMC1.

Adding to the Chaos Legion discussion, it's got some pretty neat ideas, but gets dull as gently caress after about an hour.

Like, all the Legions have specific strengths and weakness, with enemies that are vulnerable/resistant to certain Legions, and they're pretty cool in their own ways; there's a sword one, gun one (which can be precision fired), claw one (speed and agility, but lighter damage), bomb one (highly damaging but short lived, but also can be used as traps), and two "defensive" types - a grappler (slow but powerful and can suplex poo poo), and a shield one (it's basically Royal Guard, but fires lasers).

And there's also Thanatos, but that doesn't count as it's a special one, and it obliterates everything.

As with DMC's weapons, what Legion you have equipped determines the main character's current abilities, and as they level up you can gain moves independant of the Legions - so you can use double jump without having to equip the Legion that specifically allows you to do that, or whatever.

There's also three modes; passive, agressive, and an insta-summon special move they all have - allowing a bit more direct control over the Legions.

There is some depth there, but the problem is that it takes too loving long to grind for EXP to level them up, you can only equip two Legions to swap through before the mission begins without any way to change them during the mission, and the general movement of the main character is painfully clunky, unresponsive and unsatisfying.

The enemy design is pretty bad with everything being a massive meat shield, and unidentifable messes of textures with cheap attacks, and seem like they barely flinch half the time. And even though they're designed with being weak or strong to specific Legions, they don't really take any advantage of that - it's either they're short/close range, or organic/inorganic. That's about the depth to that. They don't get any more difficult, or gain new moves, they just get bloated health.

The level design is just as bad; brown/grey/green/red literal blocks of brick texture, with the occasional "This is a Boss Arena" platform.

Music is pretty sick though - and they have a limited dynamic soundtrack, where the music gets more intense when Legions are on the field (at least, I think that's when it plays - it might not have been implemented, but those tracks do exist).

Anyway, the concept was neat, but the execution was limited.

Ya I had the pretty much same experience as you. It is a loving cool idea and it was prime Capcom but execution is off and by today's standards the gameplay is VERY basic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone played the demo? Wish this would come PS4, playstation is the DMC console. Eh w.e.