Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tiger Woods has been healthy and playing regular tournament golf for 7 months but he's a shadow of his former self. Notably, his putting isn't what it used to be and his driving still sucks. I could see him winning a tournament here or there, and he could luck out and win another major, but there are too many good players for it to be a realistic possibility.

Phil Mickelson again tries to complete the final leg of the career slam but he's old as balls.

Dustin Johnson is on fire, winning this past weekend by 6, and looks to add another U.S. Open which would be his 2nd major.

http://www.usopen.com/

Shinnecock Hills Golf Club is a storied course, claiming to be the oldest formal organized golf club in the country, founded in 1871. On the eastern side of Long Island, it's basically in the Atlantic Ocean. It last hosted a championship in 2004 when Retief Goosen won his 2nd U.S. Open and final major.

Air Times (ET)
Thu: 9:30am - 4:30pm FS1, 4:30-7:30pm Fox
Fri: 10am-4:30pm FS1, 4:30-7:30pm Fox
Sat: 11am-7:30pm Fox
Sun: 10am-7pm Fox

Marquee Tee Times (Thursday/Friday ET)
7:29am / 1:14pm: Louis Oosthuizen, Jimmy Walker, Justin Rose
7:40am / 1:25pm: Bubba Watson, Jason Day, Brooks Koepka
8:02am / 1:47pm: Rory McIlroy, Jordan Spieth, Phil Mickelson
8:13am / 1:58pm: Hideki Matsuyama, Marc Leishman, Rickie Fowler
1:47pm / 8:02am: Justin Thomas, Dustin Johnson, Tiger Woods
1:47pm / 8:02am: Henrik Stenson, Adam Scott, Martin Kaymer

Odds (Ladbrokes as of 1am ET Monday)
Dustin Johnson 8/1
Rory McIlroy 12/1
Justin Thomas 14/1
Jason Day 16/1
Jordan Spieth 16/1
Justin Rose 16/1
Tiger Woods 16/1
Brooks Koepka 20/1
Jon Rahm 20/1
Rickie Fowler 20/1

Betting Pool
Pick an available player who isn't one of the top 10 betting favorites. Best finisher gets a dozen balls or :20bux: from everyone else.

Josh Lyman: Phil Mickelson
Dr. Capco: Tommy Fleetwood
Boco_T: Harold Varner III
mattfl: Bubba Watson
DJExile: Brandt Snedeker
print scream key: Hideki Matsuyama
Shrapnig: Bryson DeChambeau
Troy Queef: Tony Finau
Keyser_Soze: Henrik Stenson
Kameh: Louis Oosthuizen

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Picking Tommy Fleetwood and his silky mane of hair to win it all.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

lol

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I wanted Kevin Na but he's apparently not qualifed?

So I'm taking Harold Varner III.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

My main man Bubba is playing great this year. He’s mine!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

So after the way Koepka tore it up last year, are they going to overcompensate and let this course eat the field alive like it did last time the US Open was played here? I’m kind of hoping that’s what happens. I’m not sure if it’s physically possible for greens to stimp at 18 but let’s find out!!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'll take a flyer on Snedeker

print scream key
Sep 20, 2012
Gonna go with my boi Matsuyama

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Give me Bryson "Please shut the gently caress up about how he's a loving dork" DeChambeau.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Suprfli6 posted:

So after the way Koepka tore it up last year, are they going to overcompensate and let this course eat the field alive like it did last time the US Open was played here? I’m kind of hoping that’s what happens. I’m not sure if it’s physically possible for greens to stimp at 18 but let’s find out!!

Yes please. I want Royal Melbourne Presidents Cup 2011 speed greens :D

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah if you don't want the greens to basically be pavement then you don't love the US Open

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
There was a clip on the golf channel earlier where somebody just dropped a ball from their hip on the 17th green where it rolled all the way down the hill and off the side. The real bet is the over/under on how many people whine about the greens.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Dr. Capco posted:

There was a clip on the golf channel earlier where somebody just dropped a ball from their hip on the 17th green where it rolled all the way down the hill and off the side. The real bet is the over/under on how many people whine about the greens.

Well they caved last year when Na and some others complained about the rough, I think this year they’ll stick to their guns.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
All I want is -1 to be the winning score for the tournament so whether that happens from the greens being like plywood or from the fairways being 20 yards wide idgaf

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dr. Capco posted:

All I want is -1 to be the winning score for the tournament so whether that happens from the greens being like plywood or from the fairways being 20 yards wide idgaf

:emptyquote:

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

Give me Bryson "Please shut the gently caress up about how he's a loving dork" DeChambeau.

he's not a dork, he owns

anyways since Shrap took my choice I'll go with Tony "The Stormin' Mormon" Finau

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Put me down for Henrik Olaf Son of Sten, please. :sweden:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I was going to sit this out because all of my favorites are unavailable, but I'll go with Oosthuizen.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Keyser_Soze posted:

Put me down for Henrik Olaf Son of Sten, please. :sweden:
I have a feeling that if Phil doesn’t win the pool, Henrik will.

DJ or Justin Thomas are obviously winning the tournament.

Kameh posted:

I was going to sit this out because all of my favorites are unavailable, but I'll go with Oosthuizen.
Sergio is available :D

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I was super tempted to pick Stenson but I'm a massive Fleetwood fanboy and have no willpower to resist the hair. :sigh:

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Hi,

When and where did you see this?

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

FOX golf coverage sucks. And I can’t turn off the CC on the USGA App. I’m cranky today and this isn’t helping.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Frank Viola posted:

Hi,

When and where did you see this?

The link from the OP > http://www.usopen.com/qualifying/road-to-shinnecock-hills.html

That page looks totally different now and it has the correct pic. I took a screenshot of it at the time.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Teeing off at 6:45 is pretty crazy.

And being +11 after 8 holes isn't very good.

Spieth/McIlroy both +4 after 4.

Course is rough.

One hole later they are +5 and +6.

What's that saying? You can't win on day one, but you sure can lose.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 14, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jordan just got a super lucky drop in the rough in 16

He and Rory playing like rear end are dragging down Phil :argh:

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
yeah my pick Harold Varner III is +8 through 13, rip

print scream key
Sep 20, 2012

:unsmigghh:

MORE BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Rory is making a charge and only a couple shots back of J-Day now! Course looks easy.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao 'difficulty rank' what the gently caress

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Only 2 people under par now.

Watch the cut line be +11 or something crazy.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Only 2 people under par now.

Watch the cut line be +11 or something crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfslY_AvhLw

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Premiere group of Phil, Rory and Justin: +22 through 13. loving LOL.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

bloodbath US Opens own so hard

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
One person in the clubhouse under par.

One other person under par.

No one at par. Everyone is over.

There were two +5 finishes about 10 years ago. And a +7 in the 70s. This could be a historic weekend.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

This is why links courses shouldn’t also have lightning fast greens lol. My home course has had very wet fairways, fringe and rough this year but for the last few weeks the greens have dried out and been fast and as a result you can’t stop a wedge on certain greens and also can’t bump something short and bounce/roll it on. This course is like that too right now but on steroids and with strong wind.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Suprfli6 posted:

This is why links courses shouldn’t also have lightning fast greens lol. My home course has had very wet fairways, fringe and rough this year but for the last few weeks the greens have dried out and been fast and as a result you can’t stop a wedge on certain greens and also can’t bump something short and bounce/roll it on. This course is like that too right now but on steroids and with strong wind.

fast greens own, what are you on about

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

/sees Zach Johnson is within the top 5
//eye starts twitching uncontrollably

also I love the fact that Jon Rahm, who just from looking at him and his name you'd think would be from Milwaukee or something like that, is actually so Spanish he didn't know a lick of English when he first came to the States

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I’ve got nothing against fast greens. But this course and many others were designed when “fast greens” meant they stimped at like 8. Remember the Open at The Old Course a few years ago where balls were moving on their own because of the wind and having the greens so fast? Don’t get me wrong, I’m enjoying the carnage, but I wish sometimes they’d take other steps for making courses play difficult than getting the greens as fast as possible. They had to move pin locations today at the last second because of it, and every other day this week will be right on the verge of unplayable.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Suprfli6 posted:

I’ve got nothing against fast greens. But this course and many others were designed when “fast greens” meant they stimped at like 8. Remember the Open at The Old Course a few years ago where balls were moving on their own because of the wind and having the greens so fast? Don’t get me wrong, I’m enjoying the carnage, but I wish sometimes they’d take other steps for making courses play difficult than getting the greens as fast as possible. They had to move pin locations today at the last second because of it, and every other day this week will be right on the verge of unplayable.

All of this is extremely my poo poo. Seeing professional golfers become human is very cathartic for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

RCarr posted:

All of this is extremely my poo poo. Seeing professional golfers become human is very cathartic for me.

:yeah:

• Locked thread