Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I can’t get decent coverage bc of a rampant history of rear end cancer, male breast cancer and a bunch of other stuff, if any of that stuff happens to me and it gets real bad I’m a filthy poor so unless major breakthroughs happen before then instead of treatment I’m going to get real doped up and get someone to take me to the highest place they can get me in a sedated state and push me out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Sarah Palin's daughter has Down Syndrome not autism, you loving retard

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

SniperWoreConverse posted:

so we got the heist plan, we got the breaking bad plan, we got the flee to a developing nation for better healthcare plan, and we got the get gay married plan

what other scenarios are more likely to succeed than having a reasonable healthcare system implemented?

Ms. Doubtfire except instead of trying to see your children you cozy up to some pharmaceutical CEO and then one day you get them drunk and they sign a contract that gives you a waiver for free medicine in perpetuity (make sure their children accidentally walk in on you peeing, this is a v. important step).

e: plan 2 is to have a baby and (find a doctor who is willing to go along with your plan) tell a newspaper that it is very sick but the doctors want to kill it and then make a kickstarter so you can get experimental therapy in Italy. Pocket the money and then dumpster baby. I guess you don't even need a sick mom for this plan.

plan 3: thoughts and prayers.

Call Your Grandma fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 11, 2018

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

that is very sad

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
That's a lovely situation and I'm sorry. America is a pretty depressing place.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I just heard that health insurance companies have finally found out how to juggle the Affordable Health Care requirement to not deny preexisting conditions and still be highly profitable. So I guess what they're saying is, "problem solved, sorry about your mom."

Health insurance people should be the first ones against the wall when the revolution happens.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Burt Sexual posted:

But the poor can't afford it and will die? idgi

Also, pharma should be regulated to invest in rare drugs using profits from their wildly popular and profitable drugs that a ton of people take/pay for. Not fleecing the exceedingly unlucky few.
No, he's saying that the rich turn poor but can still be alive

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

this has been making me so loving MAD. there is literally no source of hope from any institutional forces in this country. we're totally hosed.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

According to BBC News, in 2013 pharmaceutical companies enjoyed higher average profit margins than carmakers, oil and gas companies and media companies. Only banks had a profit margin comparable to Big Pharma, but Pfizer’s 42% profit margin blew every other company out of the water, prompting even a member of its own industry to say, “I wouldn’t be able to justify [those types of margins].”

42% is loving absurd. its good to be a capitalist in an inelastic market with cripplingly strong IP protections i guess

Fartbox posted:

im so happy to be swedish

how have u guys not fuckin rebelled agains big pharma yet

are americans just completely passive and complacent?

my hot take is that its because americans have never really suffered, at least not any time in the modern era. there has been no great unifying force, no dawning realization that we're all in this together.

and there probably never will be. the fact that the US is virtually unassailable because of the oceans means we'll probably never experience the horrors of war outside of a civil war. on the other hand, north america is the very definition of nuke-bait.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

And this is in the current state where around half their money is spend on marketing costs. Not R&D, but just marketing.

Oh no, the poor destitute drug companies are only making hundreds of millions and not billions!

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Who What Now posted:

Oh no, the poor destitute drug companies are only making hundreds of millions and not billions!

That wasn't his point at all, his point is that they spend comparatively little on research and more on convincing doctors, nurses, administrators, and everyone in the US that you should be on things like statins despite relatively tiny benefits.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

That wasn't his point at all, his point is that they spend comparatively little on research and more on convincing doctors, nurses, administrators, and everyone in the US that you should be on things like statins despite relatively tiny benefits.

If that's true then I'll rescind my comment.

It still reads to me that he's saying their profit margins are even lower if you account for R&D tho.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Who What Now posted:

If that's true then I'll rescind my comment.

It still reads to me that he's saying their profit margins are even lower if you account for R&D tho.

Profit margins take both those into account.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The point is that they could have their margins cut even more and all they would have to do is reduce their marketing budget without hitting r&d at all

Though lol at the guy saying statins are bad. Take your statins

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

This 100%. If any random internet person tells you not to take a drug chances are you should be gobbling up as much of it as you can.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My doctor wanted to put me on statins after I started the keto diet. I knew he was just a shill of big pharma

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Marketing is more important than R&D though, because new drugs aren't going to help you if nobody knows about them.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

RaySmuckles posted:

this has been making me so loving MAD. there is literally no source of hope from any institutional forces in this country. we're totally hosed.

42% is loving absurd. its good to be a capitalist in an inelastic market with cripplingly strong IP protections i guess

if you're really mad you could do some PI work around bonita springs florida where the ceo Ian C. Read has a summer home and when you bump into him- just let him know how you're feeling about them pushing addictive drugs on people and raising the prices severely on meds specifically for cancer and heart disease

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Jesus christ it loving sucks.

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe
gently caress, I'm sorry for your mom.

I spent a chunk of my teens in the US and the first time I thought ''something is seriously wrong with this country'' was when my mother got rushed to the hospital because of abdominal pain. They wouldn't lift a finger to treat her appendicitis until they $1000+ were paid upfront. That poo poo is unthinkable of in Germany simply because health insurance is mandatory and they'll always pass the medical bills directly onto your insurance unless you enter a privately-run institution.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
There are definitely some new drugs that are tailored according to individual samples from the patients, and I could see the costs of those being astronomical because of that. Doesn't really apply to a vast majority of them though.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The point is that they could have their margins cut even more and all they would have to do is reduce their marketing budget without hitting r&d at all

There's a big wrangling in the medical community over cholesterol being way overblown as a source of medical issues, and statins have some serious side effect profiles. It's not really easy to make those calls as a layperson though. If your cholesterol is really fucko high you should probably definitely be on meds.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

My ma was on statins for a few years and noticed changes in her short-term memory and what she called "fuzzy" thinking. She went off statins (with her doctor's help) and now just eats healthy and exercises and her cholesterol is fine and so is her brain.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Call Your Grandma posted:

My ma was on statins for a few years and noticed changes in her short-term memory and what she called "fuzzy" thinking. She went off statins (with her doctor's help) and now just eats healthy and exercises and her cholesterol is fine and so is her brain.

Oh well dang, let's just throw out all science because some fatty switched from doritios to carrot sticks and from watching wheel of fortune on her chair to wheel of fortune on her treadmill.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Call Your Grandma posted:

Yeah and anecdotal stories mean gently caress all versus recommendations from actual medical doctors.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

Oh well gently caress, let's just throw out all science because some fatty switched from doritios to carrot sticks.

That's the problem though. The cholesterol studies everyone has been going on for a few decades now were based on really dubious data. I'm not saying don't listen to your doctor, but like things may be changing soon for how easily that stuff is prescribed, hopefully.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

drug companies are not just charging high prices for rare drugs for rare diseases that only 5 people get a year

they're skyrocketing the price of insulin as well and americans are literally dying because they can't afford it [thanks obama]
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/insulin-prices-skyrocket-putting-many-diabetics-in-a-bind/

quote:

Insulin, a life-saving medication used to treat diabetes, was discovered nearly 100 years ago, yet the price of the drug has now spiked by 700 percent in just two decades.

In early November, Sen. Bernie Sanders, the Vermont Independent, pointed out that certain insulins had risen from $21 a vial in 1996 to $255 a vial in 2016.
:capitalism:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nurge posted:

I'm not saying don't listen to your doctor,

My whole sarcasm thing is about listening to your doctor and not listening to random, probably incredibly wrong testimonials on the internet.

I'm working on being a less of an rear end in a top hat and it's an ongoing process.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

comedyblissoption posted:

drug companies are not just charging high prices for rare drugs for rare diseases that only 5 people get a year

they're skyrocketing the price of insulin as well and americans are literally dying because they can't afford it [thanks obama]
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/insulin-prices-skyrocket-putting-many-diabetics-in-a-bind/

reminder that the dude what made insulin went to great lengths to make it free at the time lmao

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

comedyblissoption posted:

They made tweaks to the formula and used a lot of that budget to make doctors prescribe the expensive one.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Who What Now posted:

Oh well dang, let's just throw out all science because some fatty switched from doritios to carrot sticks and from watching wheel of fortune on her chair to wheel of fortune on her treadmill.

She was never fat but ate regular food, now she eats about 1/2 the meat she used to and goes to various exercise classes at the community centre where she can be healthy and socialize with other seniors. Every single pill you take has long term side effects, and if you can choose between a lifestyle change and a prescription you are better off with the lifestyle change.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

My whole sarcasm thing is about listening to your doctor and not listening to random, probably incredibly wrong testimonials on the internet.

I'm working on being a less of an rear end in a top hat and it's an ongoing process.

Yeah just to be clear I absolutely do not recommend dropping your medication because of what I said. Just that stuff with cholesterol is under a huge debate right now because of the old studies that led to widespread medication against it apparently failing to meet scientific rigor in a pretty huge way. Remains to be seen what actually happens. Do take your meds if they were prescribed though.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
GBS hates fat people but they also hate big pharma for killing fatties by raising the price of insulin

makes you think

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ein cooler Typ posted:

GBS hates fat people but they also hate big pharma for killing fatties by raising the price of insulin

makes you think

GBS hates everyone. As it should be.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

http://www.cmj.org/article.asp?issn=0366-6999;year=2018;volume=131;issue=4;spage=471;epage=476;aulast=Li

Here is a review that describes how my anecdote isn't just an isolated incident. If you, or someone you know, notices side effects you can talk to your doctor about your treatment. The 10 minutes you get with your GP sometimes isn't enough to develop a tailored treatment regimen, who would have guessed?

Here is another anecdote:
When I was in grade 5 we had to watch a video about a euthenasia case and then write out a couple of paragraphs about what we thought. I handed in the following:

I agree with the doctor because doctors are smart.

I failed that assignment and my teacher wrote that she expected more from me (a 10 year old).

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I'm seriously considering a move back to Europe. America seems morally bankrupt without a desire to fix it.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Being a doctor is a really hosed up profession. You're expected to keep tabs on everything that changes and the new recommendations at all time, and you're constantly loving swamped. You're responsible for everything that goes wrong with patients. It's no wonder they get paid the big bucks.

I'm glad I'm in biochemistry instead of directly dealing with that stuff.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Ein cooler Typ posted:

makes you think

quote:

About 1.25 million Americans have type 1 diabetes and an estimated 40,000 people will be newly diagnosed each year in the U.S.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Ein cooler Typ posted:

makes you think

i'm not a fan of people who deal with sugar induced diabetes and pretend it was never their fault, but you have to remember the people born with type I diabetes as well. Parents shouldn't go bankrupt over something like this at all. it's ridiculous

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

disappointed that it took so long for the :capitalism: emote to appear itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
lmbo

• Locked thread