Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

If I already have the Guide to Glorantha and Heroquest Glorantha (which is the system I'll be playing in), what additional information is present in the Glorantha sourcebook? I'm not opposed to getting it if it has a lot of information on deities I don't already know about via kodp but if it's just redundant Guide information and the Satarite pantheon I'll pass.

The Book of Heortling Mythology is excellent if you're playing in an Orlanthi society.

Nanomashoes posted:

Are there any heroquests with a part for Maran Gor? I can't really find any in old edition books. I'm playing an initiate of her and I've been combing books for mentions of any deeds she's done that could maybe be made into one but all I have are:

Here's some snippets about Maran Gor from the Heortling Mythology book:

As well as the myth of the shaker beasts, Maran Gor also rescued most of the domesticated animals from the wicked shapechanger Seravus, who was the son of a rock, and possibly related to her hated foe, Tekakos, who was also a rock. She thus ensured that Orlanthi would have cows and chickens and stuff forevermore.

Because mountains can't grow without Maran Gor's shaking the earth, the Earth sometimes looks to her for protection: "the earth stopped moving and grew weak and the mountains no longer grew. When she was gone, the goddesses felt exposed and more frightened".

Maran alongside Orlanth, defeated Veskarthen when he attacked the Earth (this story isn't elaborated on).

She's also worshipped on Shutting the Door day, whatever that is. I'm sure you could make some story out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I wrote out a Maran Gor heroquest for her taking control of the dinosaurs, here it is if anyone wants to read it:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RrJ0U60WK15dbZIij9XMXYwvo1ywCoCRt5PdLj2Wi20/edit?usp=sharing
We ran it today and it all went smoothly, I got a dinosaur to mount, but the Yelmali in our party screwed up her station a bit and had to accompany me on the rest of the quest, meaning that he wasn't there to watch over the stead for a little and chaos got into the Tula. It's not my character's tula though, so she could care less.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Nanomashoes posted:

I wrote out a Maran Gor heroquest for her taking control of the dinosaurs, here it is if anyone wants to read it:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RrJ0U60WK15dbZIij9XMXYwvo1ywCoCRt5PdLj2Wi20/edit?usp=sharing
We ran it today and it all went smoothly, I got a dinosaur to mount, but the Yelmali in our party screwed up her station a bit and had to accompany me on the rest of the quest, meaning that he wasn't there to watch over the stead for a little and chaos got into the Tula. It's not my character's tula though, so she could care less.

This is really good, you did an excellent job presumably bringing together the party for the quest

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Wrestlepig posted:

This is really good, you did an excellent job presumably bringing together the party for the quest

Thanks for the compliment. The party is me, an Old Tarsh Maran Gor priestess, and two Sartarites from the Colymar tribe: an Orlanthi shaman, and a Yelmali soldier. I wrote the parts in for them, and for the Ernaldan we used the fact that I had rolled a 1 to intimidate an Ernaldan Rune Priestess in Nochet to give me Maran Gor worshipping duties at the great earth temple we could hand wave and say we found one to play the part. I did want to include Ernalda because Six Ages has dinosaurs as being part of her (Nyalda's) domain, so obviously you gotta explain how that changed around.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm playing the Orlanthi shaman in the game that ran Nanomashoes's heroquest

he used the quest to obtain a deinonychus mount

i'm going to try to get us hooked up with the Sartar Magical Union and create a force of magical dino-cav for the hero wars

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Of course Maran Gor would say it's actually a good thing she maimed poor hippogriff

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Of course Maran Gor would say it's actually a good thing she maimed poor hippogriff

The DM described my character as an "insane rear end in a top hat" which I take to mean I'm roleplaying Disorder/Death correctly.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

I've got a hankering to play in this world, as I've casually read a lot about it and enjoyed that reading.

Problem is, neither HeroQuest nor RuneQuest seems to really capture the feeling of the world well. The Pendragon-esque additions to the new RuneQuest are nice, but I can't help but feel like the system's ultra-deadly combat holds the whole thing back. Maybe I should just be playing it like Pendragon, with the expectation that maybe ONE of the characters in the party will become a hero, and the rest will probably die?

HeroQuest, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have the long-term campaign and/or generational play chops that really I want out of a game set in Glorantha. Can anyone who's playing/played the system comment on that?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

JonBolds posted:

I've got a hankering to play in this world, as I've casually read a lot about it and enjoyed that reading.

Problem is, neither HeroQuest nor RuneQuest seems to really capture the feeling of the world well. The Pendragon-esque additions to the new RuneQuest are nice, but I can't help but feel like the system's ultra-deadly combat holds the whole thing back. Maybe I should just be playing it like Pendragon, with the expectation that maybe ONE of the characters in the party will become a hero, and the rest will probably die?

HeroQuest, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have the long-term campaign and/or generational play chops that really I want out of a game set in Glorantha. Can anyone who's playing/played the system comment on that?

My first instinct when I started reading what the game makers considered important about Glorantha as a setting was that a Blades in the Dark hack would be perfect for it. Your crew playbook gets replaced by a clan playbook (with different options for different cultures) and your personal playbook is the cult you belong to. It'd be a lot of work though

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

cheetah7071 posted:

My first instinct when I started reading what the game makers considered important about Glorantha as a setting was that a Blades in the Dark hack would be perfect for it. Your crew playbook gets replaced by a clan playbook (with different options for different cultures) and your personal playbook is the cult you belong to. It'd be a lot of work though

Oooof, this would be interesting.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
BitD does have the hooks to make heroquesting both more integrated into the system and different from normal play in an interesting way, too. The thoughts I had was that setting up the heroquest is a downtime activity. Once you're in the god time, your position (i.e., how bad things go if you fail your roll) is determined by how closely you follow the story. Your effect (i.e., how good things go if you succeed) is determined by what the god you're emulating is at the action you're taking. Chance of success is determined as usual by your own stats.

Generally speaking, as a KoDP/Six Ages player, I'm pretty disappointed in the minor place heroquesting is given in both the Runequest and Heroquest books, when to me it's one of the defining things about the setting.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

We actually ran the heroquests last session with a blades esque system where you got extra dice for how much % you had in skills, inspirations, and spending rune points. When we remembered to do it that way and not just roll percentage dice, of course.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I've now failed 10 pow gain rolls in a row at 50% chance so at least I know I'm a victim of some universal forces.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
my assistant shaman initiated into full shaman yesterday and by the end of the session he'd bound a God Learner fire elemental into his forehead

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Handy Google drive character generator for Runequest. You need to Make a Copy to your own google drive so you can edit

further instructions here

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
I'll be GMing Heroquest and I've read all the rules in the Core Book by now but I think I'm having a hard time grasping how combat is suposed to work. I've been playing rpgs were you roll to see if you hit and then roll to see the damage since I'm like 8 years old so I guess it's hard to get out of that mindset. Any good tips to make interesting combats in Heroquest?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kanthulhu posted:

I'll be GMing Heroquest and I've read all the rules in the Core Book by now but I think I'm having a hard time grasping how combat is suposed to work. I've been playing rpgs were you roll to see if you hit and then roll to see the damage since I'm like 8 years old so I guess it's hard to get out of that mindset. Any good tips to make interesting combats in Heroquest?

Combat is not distinct from anything else in heroquest. It's a whole separate paradigm. You're playing a collaborative storytelling game, not a tactics game with roleplaying elements like d&d is. It'll take some getting used to.

The book offers pretty good advice iirc. If a player attempts something, ask yourself:

--would the player failing be interesting? If the answer is no, don't roll and just let them succeed
--is this a cool climactic moment that's worth turning into a whole production? If so do an extended contest, otherwise do a simple contest

There's a whole genre of (mostly indie) games that play like heroquest but it's a pretty big shift from the really popular stuff.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

BitD does have the hooks to make heroquesting both more integrated into the system and different from normal play in an interesting way, too. The thoughts I had was that setting up the heroquest is a downtime activity. Once you're in the god time, your position (i.e., how bad things go if you fail your roll) is determined by how closely you follow the story. Your effect (i.e., how good things go if you succeed) is determined by what the god you're emulating is at the action you're taking. Chance of success is determined as usual by your own stats.

Generally speaking, as a KoDP/Six Ages player, I'm pretty disappointed in the minor place heroquesting is given in both the Runequest and Heroquest books, when to me it's one of the defining things about the setting.

I’ve been thinking about Blades Glorantha a fair bit lately. I’d probably have it with a long-term project first for heroquests to represent getting the cult/sacrifices together.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Kanthulhu posted:

give different goals for different participants in the contest, and have a few extra opponents around to complicate things and get some strategy going.

Mimir posted:

I’ve been thinking about Blades Glorantha a fair bit lately. I’d probably have it with a long-term project first for heroquests to represent getting the cult/sacrifices together.

when I played around with it for a short time because writing essays sucks, I started redesigning Stress as the character's Magic resource, where they enhance their ability by channeling magic or having supernatural effects, which worked pretty well as a middleground between Heroquest's abstraction and Runequest's resource-focused approach. I wasn't exactly sure about what to do for pumping up the magic since insanities don't really work. I was thinking of it making you increasingly heroic, tied to the Gods and distanced from the community, and reduced by engaging in regular human life. I never really got further than that because writing essays sucks, and I wasn't sure about how to integrate Shamanism and Sorcery into that framework, which would probably be separate classes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My inclination is that shamans would just have another playbook. Sorcerery would probably just be a few powers on the Lankor Mhy playbook unless you specifically were designing to emulate western societies

Stress not completely clearing after every job felt like it was trying to push a specific kind of story in bitd that I'm not sure you'd even want in a Glorantha hack

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Yeah, I would agree that Shamans would be its own playbook.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

JonBolds posted:

We're going to try RQG, but I think the Fate Core system would be extremely easy to deploy in a Gloranthan context. I believe I made a few posts in the old thread about how to adapt it.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
It is awesome to see this again. I'm looking through the Guide again after a long time, and contemplating Vormain as the setting for a pbp game. But man, besides the pirates there really isn't a lot tying Vormain to the rest of Glorantha. Even their Hero Wars Begin blurb is just that they start trying to take over the East Isles for some unknown reason! That's mundane as hell, imo. Unless they're conquering that stuff to get ready for an invasion of Kralorela, it doesn't really feel Hero Wars-ish. Conquering bits of the East Isles is Tuesday. If anyone has any fan write ups for Vormaino stuff, I'd love to see it!

Also, gonna post some art pieces Jenx did during the late, great Seshnela Game.

Noble, handsome Man-of-All Talmakos having fun with dumb atheist wizard Neleos

Brave, still-handsome Talmakos courageously finding allies after running into an immortal Vadeli Wizard

There was also a line-up he did of all the PCs, but I lost the picture in an HD crash :smith:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I found an incredibly useful cheat sheet for Heroquest if anyone needs help getting the rules, or just wants them all clearly written in one place

Friar John posted:

It is awesome to see this again. I'm looking through the Guide again after a long time, and contemplating Vormain as the setting for a pbp game. But man, besides the pirates there really isn't a lot tying Vormain to the rest of Glorantha. Even their Hero Wars Begin blurb is just that they start trying to take over the East Isles for some unknown reason! That's mundane as hell, imo. Unless they're conquering that stuff to get ready for an invasion of Kralorela, it doesn't really feel Hero Wars-ish. Conquering bits of the East Isles is Tuesday. If anyone has any fan write ups for Vormaino stuff, I'd love to see it!

I had a look and couldn't really see anything that wasn't in the guide. There was originally plans to develop some sort of unique color-based magic but that never got details. They've also got the Kralorea issue where they're too isolationist and too similar to a real-world culture. I think they're only really usable as a bad guy for an Eastern campaign unless you're wanting to do a lot of legwork, which is a shame since barracuda samurai pirates who can run on water and turn their ships into sea monsters are dope.

E: maybe the issue is if you want to be a samurai you just be a humakti

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 9, 2018

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
In six ages, the game refers to practicing spirit divination as “spinning”, but never elaborates. Are the shamans performing some sort of weaving (of fate), or do they have sacred divination tops, or are they literally spinning like dervishes?

JanPospisil
Jul 27, 2013

Ask me about Verethragna!

DalaranJ posted:

In six ages, the game refers to practicing spirit divination as “spinning”, but never elaborates. Are the shamans performing some sort of weaving (of fate), or do they have sacred divination tops, or are they literally spinning like dervishes?

Yes.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
D: All of the above (simultaneously)

JanPospisil
Jul 27, 2013

Ask me about Verethragna!
Originally it was the third option, you can even see it in an event illustration. But I like all three. ;) Weaving definitely has its magical aspect among the Hyalorings.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I always imagined it to be like those dances people do where they spin till they see things.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I'm currently running a game of heroquest set in the Flood era, also known as the early storm age. My PC's are Helerings, currently aligned with the sea and not yet Orlanthi, with an incredible hatred of Waetagi and Dara Happans. They also are descended from Hsunchen and currently have a Megalodon spirit society!

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

They just released a book that fleshes out the example Colymar tribe with a lot of NPCs and locations and also has 3 adventures in it, if anyone wanted to try running some sessions but not put any effort in.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Does it have the rules for illumination? The rulebook said those would be in the Gamemaster's Guide along with a bunch of other rules.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

White Coke posted:

Does it have the rules for illumination? The rulebook said those would be in the Gamemaster's Guide along with a bunch of other rules.

This is the "Adventure Pack"/"Game Master Screen Pack," so no.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

White Coke posted:

I believe that is coming in the Cult book, since Illumination is necessary to being a direct cultist of the Red Goddess and not just doing it through the Seven Mothers. Hopefully we see some new stuff, a LOT of this edition's stuff is directly cribbed from older material.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Hard copies of RQG can be ordered now: https://www.chaosium.com/runequest-glorantha/

Hardback and leatherette options.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Playing a shaman through several seasons of Runequest has been very interesting. A fully initiated shaman has access to a potentially vast MP pool once they start making pacts and binding spirits. Shifting most of their effective POW into the fetch they generate in their initiation, plus a lot of Spirit Combat, mean a generally high number of successful POW gain rolls each season. That power creep is sort of compensated for by the cost of building and maintaining spirit relationships and binding spirits into objects, which usually takes all of my own gained POW at the end of each season, but those same relationships offer spirit magic spells and magic point pools that more than compensate. I made my first pact with a really formidable spirit this session, and its power will really put the shaman at a new level mystically. I'm going to try to build a cult to that spirit, with a shrine in the woods near Boldhome.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

Playing a shaman through several seasons of Runequest has been very interesting. A fully initiated shaman has access to a potentially vast MP pool once they start making pacts and binding spirits. Shifting most of their effective POW into the fetch they generate in their initiation, plus a lot of Spirit Combat, mean a generally high number of successful POW gain rolls each season. That power creep is sort of compensated for by the cost of building and maintaining spirit relationships and binding spirits into objects, which usually takes all of my own gained POW at the end of each season, but those same relationships offer spirit magic spells and magic point pools that more than compensate. I made my first pact with a really formidable spirit this session, and its power will really put the shaman at a new level mystically. I'm going to try to build a cult to that spirit, with a shrine in the woods near Boldhome.

You should post the Heroquest you wrote in here, I like it.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nanomashoes posted:

You should post the Heroquest you wrote in here, I like it.

Oh yeah, yesterday we also performed the heroquest for this Orlanth myth I wrote, Orlanth Saves Sog City. My shaman character embodied Orlanth in the quest, Nanomashoes' character embodied their goddess Maran Gor as one of Orlanth's companions, and SunAndSpring's character embodied their god Yelmalio in the Emperor's Court and the Army of the Sun Tribe. We completed the quest in the gods realm successfully, without any Arkati deliberate divergences from the plot, and sent most of its mojo towards ensuring we'll find friends and allies in the liberation of Lunar Tarsh.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Related to the flood era game of Heroquest I'm running, I actually made a questionnaire for making a Helering Clan at the time. Much of it is based on their position relative to other peoples in the map of the age in the Guide.

I put it here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've now played enough Runequest (4th Ed.) that I want to start my own game. Figured I'd see if there's interest here before putting a post in TG Game Recruitment. General principles of what I want to run are:

1) Weekly or bi-weekly, voice chat over Discord.
2) Single Homeland or Mixed Party: Up for debate before game start, during char creation
3) Elder Races: Allowed (dependent on point 2)
4) Lunars: Allowed (dependent on point 2)
5) Start Date: Earth Season, 1625.

I'm on EST, can run the game on weekday evenings. Is anyone interested, and if so, what kind of Runequest game do you want to play in?