Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Not yet, they're supposed to be in the GM guide but I haven't heard a status on when that book might come out in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
Can someone explain why the setting went from "Argath can be anybody" to "Argath is this totally cool NPC who hogs all of the glory and the PCS are his erran boys (regardless of gender) oh and the only major Orianthi female hero gets undramatically murdered for no good reason"? Didn't we decide that the later was NOT the way to go in the 90's when literally EVERY setting tried doing that? Not to mention the entire thing totally misunderstands the purpose of King Of Sartar as AN UNRELIABLE narrator!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The only thing that’s really changed from king of Sartar is that Argrath is set up as one guy only. Kallyr dies in King of Sartar after anything is set in the RPGs. They also added in Queen Samastina of Esrolia as another prominent female hero.

The reading of Argrath as a smug prick and megalomaniac who will use anything and anyone as a tool to fulfil his crazy plans that ruin everything still exists, as it always did.

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...

TheNamedSavior posted:

Can someone explain why the setting went from "Argath can be anybody" to "Argath is this totally cool NPC who hogs all of the glory and the PCS are his erran boys (regardless of gender) oh and the only major Orianthi female hero gets undramatically murdered for no good reason"? Didn't we decide that the later was NOT the way to go in the 90's when literally EVERY setting tried doing that? Not to mention the entire thing totally misunderstands the purpose of King Of Sartar as AN UNRELIABLE narrator!

100% agreed about Argrath. Mechanics that I personally do not care for aside, the thing I most dislike about the new Runequest is moving the timeline forward (to a less interesting period, IMO) and subsequently defining Argrath as a specific NPC that no PC could ever hope to be as strong or cool as, so they just fetch magic items for him or whatever.

As for Kallyr... she is killed off in King of Sartar, so it's not a new development, but Glorantha has never been good to women. Female warrior cults are uncommon and often portrayed as horrifying perversions (e.g. the Gors, Gorgorma), and when they did come up with an Orlanthi fighting goddess who wasn't a scary freak, Vinga, the next edition decided to downgrade her to a one-paragraph subcult of Orlanth, with the official line being that she isn't even a separate person with her own myths, just Orlanth who incarnated as a woman once. Where women have political power in the world, it generally is portrayed as monstrous (e.g. trolls) or only allows women to choose the men who lead them (e.g. Doraddi), and even in such areas it is still expected that men do the fighting and adventuring while women stay home to "rule" the home. The only major egalitarian society is the default bad guys. A large majority of all named goddesses are healer/mother/fertility stereotypes. And so on and so forth.

It's what happens when the creator is a hippie shaman who, while being a good and kind person by all accounts, believes in universal active masculine/passive feminine energy, the setting's next steward is an American Republican, and virtually every person to ever officially contribute to the setting is a white dude.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Wrestlepig posted:

The only thing that’s really changed from king of Sartar is that Argrath is set up as one guy only. Kallyr dies in King of Sartar after anything is set in the RPGs. They also added in Queen Samastina of Esrolia as another prominent female hero.

The reading of Argrath as a smug prick and megalomaniac who will use anything and anyone as a tool to fulfil his crazy plans that ruin everything still exists, as it always did.

For me that only matters if the PCs are allowed to be just as important as him and not be just fetching magical artifacts. And while I don't dislike Samastina it creates this sexist idea that women who are manly will get horribly murdered while the gender norm conforming passive heroine gets to live. Apparently the idea of making a character who may've never existed into this guy who steals the glory from the PCs is fine, but not retconning the death of an major female character because...???

I mean, if that Great Argath Campaign thing ever comes out, I'd be fine if the "mythical events" that Argath was involved with were depicted as a series of scenarios that can be solved in multiple ways by the players in any order that the GM wants. But on a rpg.net thread (https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/sartar-rising-or-the-rise-of-argrath.809234/page-7#post-21377394) jeff DEFENDED the idea of a metaplot. Mainly by using some really stupid comparisons to real-life history. And this is a setting where duck people are a thing and the moon is related to a circle of goddesses horribly dying and coming back from the dead. So i'm expecting the same poo poo that EVERYONE disliked about the Forgotten Realms and anything OWOD to come infect Glorantha.

Wait, is jeff richard a republican? This is the first time that I've come across something to that knowledge. I do know that sandy peterson is probably a sexist piece of poo poo who somehow is avoiding the punishment that jonathan tweet rightfully got for being a eugenics supporting piece of poo poo.

I hope that they recruit black people as writers when they get around to writing that Fonrit book.

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...

TheNamedSavior posted:

Wait, is jeff richard a republican? This is the first time that I've come across something to that knowledge. I do know that sandy peterson is probably a sexist piece of poo poo who somehow is avoiding the punishment that jonathan tweet rightfully got for being a eugenics supporting piece of poo poo.

He is very private about his personal life, but yes, he is a GOP voter -- or at least was, since he moved abroad several years ago. I don't know what his feelings are about modern Republicans, but the subject was occasionally brought up years ago on the old Glorantha mailing lists. The archive of the Glorantha Digest died about a year ago, unfortunately, so it's hard to dig those messages up.

TheNamedSavior posted:

I hope that they recruit black people as writers when they get around to writing that Fonrit book.

It's not out of the realm of possibility, but I'd be surprised if they did so. Any suggestion of this type would probably receive more pushback than support on the Chaosium forums. There was a recent post there suggesting that an Asian writer might be able to develop Kralorela into something better than the lame Chinese stereotype it is now, which was met with the usual: a white scholar would know more than any random Chinese person; all of Glorantha is cultural appropriation because we aren't proto-Indo-European tribesmen; why are you using race to validate a creative work, you racist?, etc. Jeff showed up to insist Kralorela is a fantasy world, not just a copy of China, the implication being that getting an Asian author involved would be pointless -- but then he enumerated the sources about China that he drew on for the Guide, and finished up by saying that Kralorela is an intentionally Orientalist approach to China. He specifically called it "the China of our myths - the Serica of Pliny and Ptolemy." Apparently, Asian people can't be "us."

This also reminded me of a post from a few years back, when somebody posted a hope for a Native American sourcebook for Basic Roleplaying; nobody bothered to suggest a Native American author might be worthwhile for the project, and a few people even objected to the term "Native American," since "my ancestors have been here for hundreds of years, doesn't that make ME a native American?", along with an expressed preference for using the term "Indians" (which then led to a loving joke about "which kind of Indian would you want on your tech support call" and complaining about foreign accents).

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
WTF? Well, that settles it, never buying a Glorantha book from Moon Design again, what an idiot.

Source image for those wondering. This is so stupid.

Context is even stupider in that at least TWO people point out how obviously loving Chinese Kralorela is and the guy is too thick brained to even reply to them because jeff would rather stay in his fantasy land of not changing any opinions than admit to being wrong.

There needs to be some sort of push back against this stupid poo poo. I'm not saying we should form a lynch crowd around jeff's house and sacrifice the dumbass to Maran Gor. But I am Chaosium needs to be criticized publicly for this dumb bullshit as they insist they're progressive.

I hate Elfgames.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

TheNamedSavior posted:

I hate Elfgames.

Elfgames will break your heart, kid

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
This makes me weirdly glad I am no longer on the Glorantha high I was on a few years back. This is still really disappointing though.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

This is in pretty stark contrast to how things are being handled on the Call of Cthulhu side of things, with Chris Spivey signing on to do a 2nd edition of Harlem Unbound through Chaosium and also providing some "Hey, here's some things which you might want to think about in terms of handling race in your game" sidebars to the starter set reprint of Dead Man Stomp.

This just reaffirms my longstanding belief that the only parts of Glorantha that I'd actually game in would be Dragon Pass/Prax and environs. They're the most developed areas of the setting (corresponding to Stafford and Perrin's home campaigns respectively) and it pretty transparently shows as much.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'd really like to see a game focused on playing Lunars, but not, like, a stupid one.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Rand Brittain posted:

I'd really like to see a game focused on playing Lunars, but not, like, a stupid one.

I'm sure that they would find a way to turn that into sexist crap too.

Warthur posted:

This is in pretty stark contrast to how things are being handled on the Call of Cthulhu side of things, with Chris Spivey signing on to do a 2nd edition of Harlem Unbound through Chaosium and also providing some "Hey, here's some things which you might want to think about in terms of handling race in your game" sidebars to the starter set reprint of Dead Man Stomp.
How the hell is a game that is based on the works of a racist who supported lynching MORE progressive than a game that was made up by a "progressive" hippie?

Josef bugman posted:

This makes me weirdly glad I am no longer on the Glorantha high I was on a few years back. This is still really disappointing though.

Pacho posted:

Elfgames will break your heart, kid

The Fantasy Genre was a mistake.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

TheNamedSavior posted:

How the hell is a game that is based on the works of a racist who supported lynching MORE progressive than a game that was made up by a "progressive" hippie?
My guess would be that it feels easier to take a critical approach to a body of fictional work, stripping it back to the kernel of material which is still worthwhile and then building on that whilst discarding or at least reinterpreting or challenging the less worthy aspects of it, when the original author is a complete stranger to you who died decades before your game based on his work was even published, compared to if the author was someone you were friends with or had a close working relationship with or were a massive fanboy of and saw as a mentor or all of the above. Chaosium's current owners have a distance from Lovecraft that they simply don't have from Stafford.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

It happens that Lovecraft's (unjustified, racist-tinged) vison of a hostile universe is actually fairly straightforward to fit in with the actual hostile universe that minorities face every day.

At least that was the approach Spivey took in Harlem Unbound, which grounds the mythos bullshit firmly in all the danger, oppression, and vitality of gilded age Harlem.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
The six ages stuff seems pretty good in this regard, at least?

Edit: Frankly, Jeff Richards seems kind of an rear end. A real grognard type in a specific fashion. He seems really into early-runequest-era-Glorantha and a lot of the problems with the setting date from there. Kind of obsessed with keeping Greg's vision of the setting even when Greg would probably admit it isn't very good.

That discussion on Kralorea got better after he left. Not amazing, but there were good postings in it. Then it got derailed by Sheng Seleris, who ruins everything he touches.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 13, 2019

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
so, in a month or two i am going to be running a current-edition runequest game, with Lunar-affiliated player characters, set in the Lunar Empire

specifically, i believe the game will be about them overthrowing the current king of Imther, in favor of one of the pcs. to start with, at any rate. are there any resources anyone would recommend, official or otherwise, for running and playing Lunar characters

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

so, in a month or two i am going to be running a current-edition runequest game, with Lunar-affiliated player characters, set in the Lunar Empire

specifically, i believe the game will be about them overthrowing the current king of Imther, in favor of one of the pcs. to start with, at any rate. are there any resources anyone would recommend, official or otherwise, for running and playing Lunar characters

If you're willing to go all out in your reading, the Fortunate Succession has a surprising amount of stuff about the Lunar era and the Glorious Reascent can tell you much about the dara happan empire and it's mythology. Six ages is a game that you can play set in Imther in the storm era. The history of the heortling peoples does talk about the area as well, especially predawn and first age, but alas, tends to focus on dragon pass, heortland and esrolia after that.

Edit: Something interesting in history of the heortling peoples that can be overlooked: Orlanthi in Imther still worship Hyalor.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 14, 2019

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does any source explain how the human kings of Imther got the dwarves under the Imther Mountains in their debt?

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
For a long time I've been thinking about what I'd do to make Kralorela less of a lazy orientalist kludge, and I've sort of got some concepts of what a better version of the area might look like. That being said, I don’t feel like I either have a mastery of Gloranthan lore or Eastern Glorantha lore to defend the proposal, and I’d rather work on my own games and settings when it comes to tabletop design. Anyways, I’d propose these ideas for a NuKralorela profile:
  • The Dragon Empire... really isn't one, at least in the conventional Western/Lunar sense. In my remake it would be organized like the Zhou or Shang dynasties in China, or the Mayan City-State hegemonies, or very early Japan. Sure, there is a Godunya who is the technical absolute divine leader and he empowers Exarchs with temporal and spiritual power, but his rule is very indirect and contractual, and becomes a complex network of magio-political patron-client relationships between different communities the further you go down the chain of command from him. Often Godunya has to appoint prominent rulers as a Hegemon for the purposes of defending the empire in his name, but that doesn't often translate to real success. Kralorela's main strength isn't in its effectiveness at using its resources or cults for state power or war, but because its political structures are resilient and very pliable.

• Because of the efforts of the Vithelan Pantheon, Kralorela and the northeast seas were not as affected by the Great Darkness as other places, and as a result the area has much stronger connections between the otherworlds and mortal worlds than in many other parts of Genertela. In my version of Kralorelan cultures, there isn't a big divide between the concept of gods or spirits, and what other cultures would call local spirits or demigods and their priesthoods often act as Exarchs or lesser nobility of cities or territories in the Dragon Empire. So, there's a lot of places that act kind of like Alkoth or other between-world cities outside Kralorela.

• Alongside shamanic magic and mysticism, Kralorelans practice a unique kind of sorcery based around an arcane and extremely complex calendar defined by Godunya and his attendants. The ultimate source of its magic is from draconic mysticism, but this calendric sorcery allows even the non-enlightened to tap into this power. With space, time, intent, subject, and object all intertwined within the calculations of proper ritual actions, it is often difficult to predetermine what the results of such sorcerous spells will be to the average practitioner.

• Like in the current canon, there's a lot of illegal or underground cults of local gods and spirits and occluded mystical traditions, and those continually lash out against the decentralized order of Kralorela. One major addition would be groups of Vithelan theistic purists working to overthrow Godunya and the prevalence of Draconic Mysticism in the culture, which they believe to have usurped the original “pure” culture of Kralorela after the Dawn and directly caused Kralorela to have suffered so much from external invaders like the God Learners and Sheng Seleris over the ages. These groups may or may not have ties to the cults exiled to the Kingdom of Ignorance.

• This Kralorela I've proposed is based off of historical periods a lot closer in line with the usual Late Bronze Age trappings of the rest of the setting compared to its current Han-Tang pastiche, and isn't as "eternal" or history-less in how its portrayed. If a writer also applied some aspects of what’s been established as canon in the Kingdom of Ignorance, Kralorela could also be more multicultural in its real-world inspirations and take from Mesoamerica and stuff like Dunsany’s works.
I’m not East Asian though, so I’m just as much an outsider to the cultural traditions Kralorela is currently based off of as the writers at Chaosium. Hopefully this is a little less one-dimensional a portrayal of the area, though.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I always thought that Kralorea should emphasize it's Hsunchen roots and connection to the otherworld. I always think of those left-foot-path guys in Pamalta who live entirely in the godtime and whenever they wander about the entire landscape around them is sucked in.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I do like the idea of the Turtle Hsunchen wandering throughout as terrifyingly strong semi trickster figures, able to defy the emperors mandates and acting as both a focus for popular discontent, champions of the neglected and anti-mystic speakers would be quite interesting.

I just like the idea that all draconic mystecism is is a turtle got really up themselves and became the universe.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Oh are we posting our YGWV versions of Kralorela? I've got one of those. FWIW I guess I should say I'm Chinese-American, had similar complaints as other people here about how it's written, and tried what I could to address the weaknesses in what's there now.

I decided to base the landscape around the Warring States period instead of what I can only call an isolationist caricature of the mid-late Ming dynasty. Those states in the northwest have more Pentan and Praxian influence and take on an equestrian character, those settled in the more hilly southwest have started becoming eugh sedentary, and there's variants of Orlanth Dragonfriend and syncretic Yelm cults being replaced by a Mayan-esque worship of Time Bearer gods. The philosophical question of the day for these western states is the nature of history: some heroquest into the past to discover the true form of song and sacrifice, others wander the world to consult with the immortal beings that grace Glorantha (like Cragspider!), even their armies carry great shrines with them in battle to summon celebrated victories into the present from the God Time. These are the peoples of Bronze.
  • Mostly drew from Turkic, Arab, and Persian history+culture here (and the Jurchen/Manchu dynasties), where successive generations of nomadic peoples settled down to become fabulously wealthy urban ones; that transition and potential transitions back to nomadic life are something I found fun to explore.
Probably the most exceptional state as far as the others are concerned is a mix of Qin, the Mughal Empire, and Champa among the eastern mountains and tropics. Eschewing the refined herding and landowning aristocracies that dominate "proper" culture, they have recently built a highly centralized Legalistic bureaucracy built on service to the state alone. Manners, ancestry, species and status matter little. Spirits of lakes and rivers have official titles and salaries here, and even deities like Orlanth are considered polities to conduct diplomacy with instead of truly divine. Odder still, they've built an alliance with Dwarves, as they can somewhat understand the bizarre dictates of the World Machine. With Dwarves comes gunpowder, and with gunpowder comes cannon elephants, and swivel guns on rhinos! Law tames the instincts of these beloved beasts, so that they may work and fight alongside humanity without fear. Such are the people of Iron.
  • Historically Qin was considered a pariah among the other states for their proximity and cultural links to the Qiang "barbarians", which also figured into their early use of cavalry. I decided to flip the script and draw from South and Southeast Asian cultures to characterize their isolation from a more equestrian mainstream.
Iron and Bronze serve as the main catalyst for events, outside them there's a constellation of groups that influence them and are influenced in turn. There's the legendary 108 Duck Outlaws, the Chaos-slaying ape and monkey senators of the Primate Republic, the Isles Of The Kings of Adventure and their mighty stone giants (think Great Zimbabwe+Sardinia+Dragon Quest), etc. Kralorela should, like more developed parts of Glorantha, have a bit more fun with itself!

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 16, 2019

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
That sounds awesome, thanks for posting it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Bendigeidfran posted:

Oh are we posting our YGWV versions of Kralorela? I've got one of those. FWIW I guess I should say I'm Chinese-American, had similar complaints as other people here about how it's written, and tried what I could to address the weaknesses in what's there now.

That does sound really goddamn cool.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
It's pretty neat, but the undead are a thing worth keeping: so you should have iron, bronze and bone. Bone of course, being things like bone oracles and a miraculous civil service made entirely of the dead.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

NewMars posted:

It's pretty neat, but the undead are a thing worth keeping: so you should have iron, bronze and bone. Bone of course, being things like bone oracles and a miraculous civil service made entirely of the dead.

Sounds like a good idea to me, the oracle bone angle especially is brilliant. Most of my existing plans for the undead had revolved around ghosts; there'd be a chained fleet of ever-burning spirits as an homage to Cao Cao's defeat at Red Cliffs, a Mississippian-esque phantom kingdom with cities and all that roamed the eastern reaches of Prax, etc. Guess I figured ghosts'd be easier to write in as characters instead of servitors to someone else.

With respect to the more corporeal undead, I have seen hopping corpses mentioned wrt Kralorela and honestly wouldn't mind their inclusion in some form. They are very much a Qing dynasty concept IRL, but the basic idea of a lazy magician raising the dead to do menial chores is something I find very amusing. I could see it working as a satire of overbearing shamans and abusive class relations in-setting. You just need to change the outfits, really.

Incidentally, they're an excuse to mention that The Gods Must Be Crazy III exists and is exactly what it looks like above. N!Xau himself stars in it!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo.

JanPospisil
Jul 27, 2013

Ask me about Verethragna!
IIRC there are canonical undead ship rowers in Kralorela.

I posted my own ideas in the Kralorela thread, but I'm not that well versed in Glorantha, so it was mostly some early China historical stuff and "wouldn't it be also great to have some fun/creepy obscure wuxia poo poo yes it would".
I could almost feel the grognards roll their eyes, so I deleted it.

quote:

"The six ages stuff seems pretty good in this regard, at least?"

We hope it's goodish.
Speaking of which, the Steam and GoG version will be released next month! (17th of October)
So that's neat.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

JanPospisil posted:

I posted my own ideas in the Kralorela thread, but I'm not that well versed in Glorantha, so it was mostly some early China historical stuff and "wouldn't it be also great to have some fun/creepy obscure wuxia poo poo yes it would".
Do you still have any copies of that stuff or remember what they were, for people not knowledgable about Wuxia?

JanPospisil
Jul 27, 2013

TheNamedSavior posted:

Do you still have any copies of that stuff or remember what they were, for people not knowledgable about Wuxia?

When people think of wuxia, or "those flying Chinese films", they mostly remember Hero, House of Flying Daggers and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. They're known for being shot beautifully and...the stories being hard to follow? Kind of dull acting?
It's not a great representation of the genre, TBH. Yes, there's a lot of this, especially in the newer TV shows, but a lot of the older movies were incredibly funny and weird. And not just "oh, those Chinese! What will they think of next?", like proper weird and hilarious. Dark and gory too!
Thinking of the northern parts of Kralorela with the Kingdom of Ignorance, there are so many movies that would fit right in there - dark cults battling for power, human sacrifice, demonic possession, creepy undead hauntings...
A list of all my favourites would take too long, so I'l just note down a few:
(I should also clarify that these are not all wuxia, some of them fall more into the kung fu genre...there's overlap, but purists might yell at me.)

1) "Zu Warriors From the Magic Mountain" - has an actual Evil Mountain which our young non-magical soldier hero stumbles into (a great example of a low level PC stupidly going into a high lvl area, and having to be saved by a powerful NPC), with a dark cult called the "Evil Disciples" who welcome their "guests" with a synchronized acrobatic flag dance. Very 80s, a bit hard to follow, but the atmosphere is fantastic. Also quite funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMhgJz7jk2Q
2) "Burning Paradise in Hell" - A Shaolin monk has to escape a sadistic villain's isolated border fortress and hopefully free all the slaves working there. It's a bit like a kung fu Temple of Doom, very gory and dark. The main villain's awesome kung fu involves cutting up people with sheets of paper and flinging paint at them with a brush. The cinematography is very 90s - fast action, dutch angles and blue foggy lighting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHyeveq7gDw
3) "Bloody Parrot" - yes, that is the title. It's a Shaw Brothers movie, so expect flimsy colourful sets and goofy wigs. Basically a murder mystery, with some demonic possession. For SB standards this contains genuinely uncomfortable slimy chunky gore and slightly icky nudity. Yeah, I found it interesting mainly for how dark it was, considering its origin/pedigree.
4) Detective Dee movies - speaking of murder mysteries. All three DD movies are good-ish, my personal guilty pleasure. Talking deer! Guys kicking deer in the head! Secret plots! Spontaneous combustion! Statues come to life! Many wonders.
These are all made in the 2000s, so expect nicer quality and more modern film making, but also a lot of cheap-ish yet absolutely grand CG. "Look at all this poo poo we can do with computers!", a bit like the Hobbit movies if they were actually entertaining.
5) the "Battling cults and sects" genre - so many movies fall into this. It's all about secret kung fu techniques, poisons, plots, schemes and betrayals. And all of it is mostly goofy, yet very interesting.
This includes: "Brave Archer" series (goofy SB stuff, funny),
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_DbcyCVQLI
- "Handsome Siblings" (very crazy hyper 90s)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T_v8xhZXhs&t=285s
-"King of Beggars" (less known Stephen Chow comedy of "Shaolin Soccer" and "Kung Fu Hustle" fame)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHIGCAfo-Tk
- the "Swordsman" trilogy (very 90s, funny and cool, but also completely changes between sequels - and becomes more of a story of another character, who could be perhaps interpreted as trans?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=admG_fx4Iechttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drX0KjzCpD4
-"Kung Fu Master" (aka "The Evil Cult". Where the Evil Cult are inexplicably the good guys. Jet Li when he still bothered to act and tried to be funny, VERY 90s and actiony, super weird in places.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gns-8e3u00A
"The Lady Hermit" (character who appears in other films, but I like this one. She's cool and there are evil cultists to be chopped up. It's from the 70s, so the action is les hyper, but still fun.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M--l2e9bLlE
- the Chu Liuxiang series ("Clans of Intrigue", "Legend of the Bat", "Perils of the Sentimental Swordsman". Then there's more about the same character, but not starring Ti Lung - "Faster Blade Poisonous Darts", "The Sentimental Swordsman", "Return of the Sentimental Swordsman", "Legend of the Liquid Sword" and a few more. I like the Ti Lung trilogy the best. It's late 70s and early 80s Shaw Brothers, so expect colourful dinky sets, deadly mysteries, dastardly traps, cowardly poisons and a dashing hero swordsman who mostly fights with a fan.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS7S2CPIrdMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqAbhFzfIFQ
- "The Butterfly Murders" (one of Tsui Hark's first movies, where indeed people are murdered with butterflies)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ6-ucZm00Y
- "Holy Flame of the Martial World" (where loads of people die for...magical plastic paddles? This one's real SB goofy.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke-9n2xcUiY
6) The ghost movies. You can't go wrong with the "Chinese Ghost Story" trilogy, all three are pretty great. Very late 80s-early 90s, charmingly crappy monsters, good acting, funny horror stuff. I genuinely love the first two.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIDCU467dCA
There's a whole bunch of supernatural romance rip offs, the only one I'd mention is "Green Snake", which is a lovely interpretation of the White Snake legend.
7) The taoist vs vampire movies. There are SO MANY of these! I've only seen like 30% maybe? My picks would be:
- "Encounters of the Spooky Kind" 1 and 2. Good comedy with Sammo Hung.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf4uuPrmBl4
- "The Dead and the Deadly" - which is basically the same as EotSK.
- "The Miracle Fighters" - don't watch the recent "remake" by Tsui Hark, it has nothing to do with the original. It's super super weird and funny. Taoist magic competitions in Hell! Creepy jar men! I really like this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMy4EcSORLM
- "Tsui Hark's Vampire Hunters" - a really good hopping vampire film where the vampires are not played for laughs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk8m2zaHD-o
- he Mr.Vampire series is supposedly good, I haven't watched it yet.

Eh..so much for a short list, right? Sorry!
I could also talk about my obsession with the recent "grave robber families" genre of Chinese cinema and TV, but that's probably for another post. If you want one example to check out, watch "Mojin:The Lost Legend".

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I guess there's something to be said about Kralorea being a kind-of litmus. It's not that it needs to be improved, it's how it needs to be improved.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
I feel that you've put more work into understanding what Kralorea should be than literally anybody who writes for Chaosium. Great Job!

Bendigeidfran posted:

the Chaos-slaying ape and monkey senators of the Primate Republic

Also amazing.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So I have never played HeroQuest or Runequest because I found them too crunchy, which is a shame because I love the setting (also this page of the thread has had some pretty excellent critiques of the actual problems of the setting, which I liked).

I'd like to run a game but my usual tolerance for crunch caps out at lower-crunch White Wolf stuff (Vampire and Demon are fine, Mage seems to be about the line where I stop enjoying the game in practice). Has anybody got publicly available a Glorantha set up that's at the more narrative level, like Blades In The Shadows or Apocalypse World or something?

I can, in theory, do something myself, but I don't feel compelled to reinvent the wheel.

Bendigeidfran posted:

the basic idea of a lazy magician raising the dead to do menial chores is something I find very amusing. I could see it working as a satire of overbearing shamans and abusive class relations in-setting.

That's because you're right.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Heroquest is less crunchy than anything White Wolf

It's also kind of a crappy ruleset in my mind though, unfortunately. The core rolls are much more time-consuming to resolve than most dice mechanics, and you tend to get extremely slippery slope situations, because succeeding on rolls gives you buffs and failing gives you debuffs, so failure begets more failure and success begets more success.

I feel like a Blades hack would be great for Glorantha because it already has rules for downtime and advancing your group, which fit very well with the default assumption of Glorantha that even low-level heroes will go adventuring in the summer and come home to help with the harvest in the fall. I'm not aware of any Glorantha Blades hacks but I haven't looked either.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Blind Azathoth posted:

100% agreed about Argrath. Mechanics that I personally do not care for aside, the thing I most dislike about the new Runequest is moving the timeline forward (to a less interesting period, IMO) and subsequently defining Argrath as a specific NPC that no PC could ever hope to be as strong or cool as, so they just fetch magic items for him or whatever.

As for Kallyr... she is killed off in King of Sartar, so it's not a new development, but Glorantha has never been good to women. Female warrior cults are uncommon and often portrayed as horrifying perversions (e.g. the Gors, Gorgorma), and when they did come up with an Orlanthi fighting goddess who wasn't a scary freak, Vinga, the next edition decided to downgrade her to a one-paragraph subcult of Orlanth, with the official line being that she isn't even a separate person with her own myths, just Orlanth who incarnated as a woman once. Where women have political power in the world, it generally is portrayed as monstrous (e.g. trolls) or only allows women to choose the men who lead them (e.g. Doraddi), and even in such areas it is still expected that men do the fighting and adventuring while women stay home to "rule" the home. The only major egalitarian society is the default bad guys. A large majority of all named goddesses are healer/mother/fertility stereotypes. And so on and so forth.

It's what happens when the creator is a hippie shaman who, while being a good and kind person by all accounts, believes in universal active masculine/passive feminine energy, the setting's next steward is an American Republican, and virtually every person to ever officially contribute to the setting is a white dude.

I feel like it is a bit complicated since I, as a lady, do get a little weary of the narrative that a woman needs to be able to and ready to inflict violence upon her fellow humans in order to really be as equal as men (sometimes it is in fact good and cool to be the kindly Ernaldan that helps feed the tribe, raise the kids, and steer the warriors away from senseless violence), but at the same time, I recognize that it really does suck rear end that exclusive women warrior cults in games primarily focused around fighting (or well, at least Runequest and 13th Age in Glorantha are) are usually restricted to ""that one time Orlanth did a gender bender to kill a monster", "scary Earth cult thing that threatens castration upon men", "scary Dark cult thing that will eat men and rule over them", and finally "horrid Lunar sophist out to destroy the world". I suppose at the very least that Urox and Humakt not nearly being so picky as the other gods are in allowing women into their warrior cults does take the sting out of it, but it still does kind of annoy me.

I dunno, maybe the devs will stop focusing so much on pleasing its extremely old core fanbase of literal boomers since I can't imagine that's very viable, but then again, those dudes do have more money on average than the average piece of poo poo millennial such as myself.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jan 4, 2020

JanPospisil
Jul 27, 2013

Interesting. Do you think Six Ages does that too?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

JanPospisil posted:

Interesting. Do you think Six Ages does that too?

IIRC, there's only one female-restricted warrior cult (Osara IIRC) but it's portrayed fairly nicely since it has a fair bit of independence from the Elmal cult (Osara isn't Elmal trying to get around the ol "No man of woman born" thing), fits in quite nicely with the Riders' theme of "we can and should change things for the betterment of our tribe", and I'm always for more Sun/Sky cults that aren't complete dickheads.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Osara has the best temple buff so actually she's the strongest god and could beat Orlanth in a fight.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Sometimes I wonder how the other cultures saw stuff like the Lightbringers Quest. Every book does hype it up to be basically the most insanely important thing to have happened, the last ditch effort to fix the world and stop Chaos, but you never really get a view of it outside of the Orlanthi account. Do the peoples with Fire pantheon gods go, "I guess Umatum the Rebel did something right for once in his miserable life?" Do Westerners analyze it as more of a scientific thing where specific runes and burtae interacted in order to reboot the world? Do the Pamaltelans even know what the gently caress happened?

gently caress I don't even know where the Lunar Empire would go in their description of the Lightbringers Quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
A lot of places have their own equivalent to it or big thing that happened and ended the darkness. Praxians care more about storm bull killing the devil and Waha creating a new way of life, the East Isles have myths about a great mystic proving that the devil was an illusion, Pamalt defeating the worm that walks, Shargash killing everything, Gargandoros ordering Varama to descend into the underworld to be the new inslaved sun in Fonrit. A few other cultures have a different take on the quest where Yelm proved his death was unjustified and had his unruly nephew apologise, and the westerners say Zzabur cast a really kickass spell that made the gods fix their mess. All of them are as true as each other.