Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just change the valve cover gasket how hard can it be :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doogle
May 24, 2003

I'd replace the valve cover gasket (it really isn't that bad, it is tedious though) and install the rb pcv (https://www.rbturbo.com/rbpcv).

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Just change the valve cover gasket how hard can it be :v:

doogle posted:

I'd replace the valve cover gasket (it really isn't that bad, it is tedious though) and install the rb pcv (https://www.rbturbo.com/rbpcv).

That's my plan, I was just wondering if that could be the cause of the leaks showing under the car... this valve cover gasket has been neglected and leaking for a while... could that be dripping onto the ground after it's gunked up the undertray?

doogle
May 24, 2003

Yes it can be, and you should also check the oil filter housing for leaks as that is another common trouble spot. The oil filter housing gasket is an easy replacement too.

Edit: the worst part about the oil filter housing leaking is that it will leak directly on your belt/pulleys and get poo poo everywhere.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

doogle posted:

Yes it can be, and you should also check the oil filter housing for leaks as that is another common trouble spot. The oil filter housing gasket is an easy replacement too.

Yep, that's leaking too. It's on my list. Do I need to drop/loosen the intake manifold for the oil filter housing? Or can I get to that back bolt with creative toolwork?

Edit: nevermind, I looked it up, intake's got to come off... with that, the valve cover gasket and the pcv, I'll just plan to take it down for a bit and do all that stuff.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 10, 2018

doogle
May 24, 2003

You can definitely get it all done in a weekend. Might as well do an oil and coolant change at the same time since you have to drain some coolant when you take the oil filter housing off. People think that the OFH gasket failing is the cause of the thermostat/water pump failing because the gasket material has been found in the coolant.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

That's my plan, I was just wondering if that could be the cause of the leaks showing under the car... this valve cover gasket has been neglected and leaking for a while... could that be dripping onto the ground after it's gunked up the undertray?

I've seen oil all over a car before with the only leak being the VC gasket so it's certainly possible, you just start where you know it's leaking, then it's process of elimination and deciding if the next leak is worth fixing or not lol.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I've seen oil all over a car before with the only leak being the VC gasket so it's certainly possible, you just start where you know it's leaking, then it's process of elimination and deciding if the next leak is worth fixing or not lol.

That's pretty much the course I've charted.

On the maintenance front, I've still got to change the fluid in the transmission, transfer case and diffs.

Front diff is no problem.
Rear diff doesn't have a drain, so it has to be pumped out and re-filled. No biggie.
Transmission is a bit of work. Have to drop the driveshaft from the transfer case to the front axle, but there's room. Plastic pan is also the filter and gets replaced.
Transfer case is an issue. To get to the fill plug, you have to drop the exhaust. This exhaust has been together for a LONG time. Taking it apart at the downpipe joint would be an exercise in anger.

So... I'm thinking of doing something dumb. But, if it's dumb and works, it's not dumb, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgw2Iq8oDpc

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Seminal Flu posted:

Don't you own a car with a 1MZ-FE? You should know just how much oil can be pissed out of valve cover gaskets by now (hint: IT'S ALL OF THE OIL). :colbert:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

STR posted:

Don't you own a car with a 1MZ-FE? You should know just how much oil can be pissed out of valve cover gaskets by now (hint: IT'S ALL OF THE OIL). :colbert:

Yeah, I know that motor, but I don't know the N54 that much... definitely bad valve cover gasket on this one though... added to the list.

Got a box full of goodies from doogle today, thanks! Hopefully I'll never have to use them. The nice thing is that the injectors are index 10, which is what's in my car now.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Big maintenance order today.

Valve cover gasket.
Oil filter housing gaskets.
Transmission pan/filter
Transmission oil.
Front diff oil.
Rear diff oil.
Transfer case oil.
Coolant.
*RB PCV valve already ordered.

Just need to either get more oil, or recycle the stuff I just put in. I'll make that call once I get the valve cover off and see if it's good, or needs a sacrificial cleaning round of oil.

That should be a solid couple days work. Hopefully that takes care of the oil leaks, and knowing the maintenance is done will allow me to really hammer on it a bit, as I determine if we're good for a long-haul with this car. It'd be great if everything checks out. We'll see.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Hey... did anyone call "cracked valve cover"? If so, you were right. I'm glad I was looking things over before my parts come on Tuesday, so I had time to get one ordered. So the valve cover replacement will be after oil filter housing and fluids change.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I did but forgot to post it. It's a known issue with post M54 6s. I had to replace one in my E46 330i

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

It’s like playing BMW Bingo, which well known issue will pop up next?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Big Taint posted:

And everybody wins, because it's ALL of them!

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Big Taint posted:

When I test drove a 135i coupe, it was 1: hard starting, 2: sticking parking brake, 3: slow/bad window regulators, 4: HPFP failure.

It's like it told me to go away in German.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Im getting ready to order some of the ceramic coating, the website you posted says Hot Sale 30ML 9H Car hardness super hydrophobic Glass Coating Car Liquid ceramic Coat Auto Paint Care Durability Anti-corrosion and then shows two different types of bottles but just one add to cart button. Are they both the same thing basically?

Also how much do you think I would need for my LS and xB?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Im getting ready to order some of the ceramic coating, the website you posted says Hot Sale 30ML 9H Car hardness super hydrophobic Glass Coating Car Liquid ceramic Coat Auto Paint Care Durability Anti-corrosion and then shows two different types of bottles but just one add to cart button. Are they both the same thing basically?

Also how much do you think I would need for my LS and xB?

I'm only seeing one -- https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot...2862286377.html

I'd say get two and you'll have enough for at least 2 coats on both, plus a bit extra.

It took 10 days to get me 6 boxes from this seller.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Totally throwing some on my wife's car later this month, and my truck too.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

QuarkMartial posted:

Totally throwing some on my wife's car later this month, and my truck too.

Just be careful and take your time with small sections and good lighting. I've got a couple blotcby areas where I didn't wipe it off fully. Nothing super noticable, but I can see it at an angle in the garage.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I'll do my truck first to get the hang of it since it's older and the fucka I give about it are few.

As for lighting... All I've got is sunlight :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Can you put it on in direct sunlight?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Can you put it on in direct sunlight?

I wouldn't. I'd worry that it would flash off too quickly.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

One more word of caution with the ceramic coatings -- I'm pretty cavalier about doing things. I always know there's a chance of getting in over my head. I've done detailing stuff for long enough that I'm pretty comfortable with it, so I may make it sound easier than it may be?

Either way -- the ceramic coating is a coating, not a wax. It's not going to come off. So be careful, take your time. Prep and use properly. :D

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ok, well......What can happen if you gently caress it up? And there's really no way to remove it? I find that kind of hard to imagine.....So it's like some sort of clear coat or something?

I bet some sand paper would get it off :v:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I can confirm that ceramic coatings should be treated with respect. If you make a mistake, the only way it's coming off is with wet sanding.

I was sweating bullets while applying it to my wife's car. The stuff is loving magic though and soooo worth it.
:science:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ok, well......What can happen if you gently caress it up? And there's really no way to remove it? I find that kind of hard to imagine.....So it's like some sort of clear coat or something?

I bet some sand paper would get it off :v:

McTinkerson posted:

I can confirm that ceramic coatings should be treated with respect. If you make a mistake, the only way it's coming off is with wet sanding.

I was sweating bullets while applying it to my wife's car. The stuff is loving magic though and soooo worth it.
:science:

Yes, it can come off, but wet sanding is the way. I have a couple places on the BMW where there is some blotching, stemming from me being an impatient monkey and doing too large of a section at a time. This resulted in me doing an incomplete removal after the coating flashed off. It's not a big deal, but it is something I could point out to someone looking critically. Note that this is going to be much more easily seen on a dark car. I don't see anything at all on the Escalade or Juke, both of which are white variants.

But as McTinkerson sais... sooooo worth it.

Also, I finished up the coating on the BMW last week and I totally cheated. I was going to get a DrColorchip kit to take care of the road rash. Instead, I used some Zymol black wax and it made the rash just about disappear. I immediately went over it with the ceramic coating and man... it looks almost perfect.

I know I suck and there haven't been any good pictures lately. As soon as I get the maintenance done, I'll do some glamour shots.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Oh sweet jesus. It's bad enough that the car has had just-what's-specified maintenance, but does it really have to have been done by lovely mechanics, too?

The PO's list of what has been replaced seems to be pretty true. The turbos look nice and shiny, new control arms, waterpump is new, etc. And he had the work done at a dealer, which is great... but do dealers employ poo poo mechanics?

There's a coolant hose that is clamped to a flange that bolts to the head. Inside is a little nipple with an o-ring. Well, that has to come off to do the oil filter housing gasket. As I was taking it off, it didn't feel right... because whoever was in there before broke the nipple and shoved it all back in there and buttoned it up, without even the o-ring. That explains some of the grunge around that component.

Here's a pic. The tip of the nipple is sitting on top of the valve cover, the rest is at the end of the hose. :mad:

And it gets better. I had to pull the intake manifold to get to a different bolt on the oil filter housing. The good news is that the 5-series has a shitload more room on that side than the 3-series. The bad news is that my intake chambers are grunged right the gently caress up. It needs walnut blasted really, really badly.

It's going to be down for a while as I get a new flange and stuff to do the walnut blasting.

At least I got the transmission fluid and front differential fluid changed, so there's some progress.

Oil filter housing was just nasty. Obviously leaking all over. Valve cover comes tomorrow and the existing one is definitely leaking, too. Hopefully I can make this thing dry up a bit.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

What's the intake made of? If it's not plastic you can probably use the oven cleaner method. Might work on the plastic ones too, idk.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

What's the intake made of? If it's not plastic you can probably use the oven cleaner method. Might work on the plastic ones too, idk.

Intake is plastic, but that's off and easy to clean. The problem is inside the head. GDI motors don't have the continual gasoline mist continually cleaning the intake tract and upper valve area. So... they build up with serious carbon crap until airflow is impacted and misfires start.

It's a serious design flaw that a lot of GDI motors have.

Instead of walnut blasting, I'm going to try the CRC intake tract cleaner... crossing fingers.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I was gonna ask next if it had direct injection.....Short of taking off the heads not much you can do but hope that spraying some poo poo in there will clean it up. Never heard of the CRC stuff but at least someone has something to try and tackle the problem. Anyone tested it yet? You can always go with the AI approved poo poo if that doesn't work seafoam :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Seafoam makes a aerosol version that can help, but I'd try the crc stuff first. CRC makes some seriously good poo poo.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yeah I was gonna ask next if it had direct injection.....Short of taking off the heads not much you can do but hope that spraying some poo poo in there will clean it up. Never heard of the CRC stuff but at least someone has something to try and tackle the problem. Anyone tested it yet? You can always go with the AI approved poo poo if that doesn't work seafoam :v:

Pretty common to walnut blast the valves to clean it off as the pimp of meats said, and you don't need to remove the head. It's a very mild abrasive and you can vacuum out most of the media and what doesn't come out will burn up. I don't think there's any way you're going to get away with just using a solvent to get it off. You're gonna have to blast and probably use picks to scrape off that poo poo.

I'm sure I'll have to do it at some point in the future and don't look forward to buying the poo poo to do it or paying to have it done. :v: I really was considering water injection just to help clean that poo poo off.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Last year I bought a Volvo that included a ton of receipts from MAG and all sorts of stuff was messed up so I'm not sure how much I'd trust their techs, assuming that was the dealer in question.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Elmnt80 posted:

Seafoam makes a aerosol version that can help, but I'd try the crc stuff first. CRC makes some seriously good poo poo.

Lol I was just joking about seafoam, I highly doubt it would help much with DI levels of poo poo.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Next time I get a DI car, I'm tempted to make a can of sprayed-in cleaner an every-oil-change maintenance item.

Also, EGR blockoff and a catch can.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.
Honestly walnut blasting on the n54 isn't bad. Took me 3-4 hours taking everything apart. You buy a special shop vac nozzle from BMW to remove the shells.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

How do you blast the nuts in there though :v:

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.
The tool fits into the intake port on the head. There is a 1/4" hole to slide a long thin blasting rod through, and the end of the tool fits a shop vac. I used a cheap sandblast unit and made my own foot long 1/4" tip for it. You turn the engine over until the valves are closed, shove the vac tool in and blast away. Repeat for the rest of the intake ports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Sgt Fox posted:

The tool fits into the intake port on the head. There is a 1/4" hole to slide a long thin blasting rod through, and the end of the tool fits a shop vac. I used a cheap sandblast unit and made my own foot long 1/4" tip for it. You turn the engine over until the valves are closed, shove the vac tool in and blast away. Repeat for the rest of the intake ports.

That this is even a maintenance item just makes me shake my head.