Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Sgt Fox posted:

Honestly walnut blasting on the n54 isn't bad. Took me 3-4 hours taking everything apart. You buy a special shop vac nozzle from BMW to remove the shells.

I'm not averse to walnut blasting, but looking at the level of grunge in my ports, it needs some mechanical cleaning first (scrape that poo poo out). If I had the walnut media and the parts ready to go, I'd do that. However, it'd take until next week to get the stuff here to do that. Instead, I'm going to take my time and let the CRC stuff soften the crud and work it out that way.

Unfortunately, the local Advance only had one can of the CRC stuff in stock, so I'm waiting on that, too. :(

extreme_accordion posted:

That this is even a maintenance item just makes me shake my head.

It really is an extremely bad design choice, and one that most auto makers are making currently. Now that I've seen how nasty it is, I'll be using a can of the CRC stuff into the intake tract as preventative in the Juke, and I'll suggest it to my brother for his GTI and mom for her Beetle... loving hell, a lot of our cars have that stupid design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.
Found some of the pictures pre blasting:

This was on an engine with 68 000km only.

As for the chemical treatment, I found the stickier the gunk was, the harder it was to blast off.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Sgt Fox posted:

As for the chemical treatment, I found the stickier the gunk was, the harder it was to blast off.

That's why I went for the CRC stuff, this car has 250k km, and the poo poo is STICKY. But I've got it in 3 cylinders right now and the CRC stuff, even cold, does react quickly with it and loosens it right up. I'm going to just let it sit and work after I initially scrape the crap off the walls. I'll suck it out later, then do it again and see how it does.

I'll try to grab a before pic of one of the cylinders, but I already tackled the 3 worst ones. They are WAY worse than yours, you can only see about 40% of the shaft of the valve, the rest is encased.

Edit: Here's one that's representative. Not the worst, but close. I didn't start on this one because it's open.

And this is with one dose of the CRC stuff and a bit of scraping:

I've got some brushes on order that'll let me get it scrubbed nicely clean. It's an interesting project.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 19, 2018

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Holy poo poo that's horrible, way worse than i pictured in my head. I can only imagine the decreased economy and performance of the cars that will never ever be treated, and knowing most consumers it's gonna be an issue. Gonna have to keep that in the back of my head before ever purchasing a car with DI, it will most definitely be an expense right along with timing belts and tires and whatnot.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Seminal Flu posted:

It really is an extremely bad design choice, and one that most auto makers are making currently. Now that I've seen how nasty it is, I'll be using a can of the CRC stuff into the intake tract as preventative in the Juke, and I'll suggest it to my brother for his GTI and mom for her Beetle... loving hell, a lot of our cars have that stupid design.

I can't say I've ever heard of a MK3 Focus having this problem, and they're all direct injected. What about the Isuzu Axiom? Or a bunch of KIAs with that GDI stuff. It seems to me it's more of a German car issue, as VAG cars are well known for coking up, and apparently so are BMWs. Does Porsche or Mercedes to this too?

I know toyota takes care of it by having a second set of intake injectors.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Eh, I'll run my GTI until it starts misfiring or setting codes and then clean it. Doesn't seem like a huge deal but is another annoying added expensive/effort to put into it. Still, it will probably happen once over the lifetime that I own the car so I'm not too worried about it.

BMW can get away with it because owners are conditioned to paying a shitload of money for their parts and maintenance. :v:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Larrymer posted:

BMW can get away with it because owners are conditioned to paying a shitload of money for their parts and maintenance. :v:

Please sir, may I have another?

doogle
May 24, 2003

I walnut blasted my 135 with the dealer tool and some home depot adapters. Basically, there is a shop vac end that is the size of the port and a nozzle that goes through the shop vac end and blows walnut shells through which then get sucked up by the shop vac. Took about 3 hours including dis/reassembly. I (re)gained 17 peak whp from that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BloodBag posted:

I can't say I've ever heard of a MK3 Focus having this problem, and they're all direct injected. What about the Isuzu Axiom? Or a bunch of KIAs with that GDI stuff. It seems to me it's more of a German car issue, as VAG cars are well known for coking up, and apparently so are BMWs. Does Porsche or Mercedes to this too?

Does the Focus have EGR? I wonder if it's worse on forced-induction engines. My Mazdaspeed3 had nasty as gently caress gunked up valves.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
https://youtu.be/xrLNDgrIw3U

This explains it pretty well.

I just picked up a DI turbo civic si - so I guess the best way to prevent this is one of those catch cans? Any other tips? I plan on keeping this car until the wheels fall off and I'd like to avoid the walnut blasting if possible.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Except for engines with Toyota's 4DS intake buildup seems to be a universal problem, but water or meth injection can fix it.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
So what you're saying is just get an M4 GTS?

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Wonder if a copper or nylon shotgun cleaning brush on a single length of handle would work well there.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Mr-Spain posted:

Wonder if a copper or nylon shotgun cleaning brush on a single length of handle would work well there.

I think the problem with that would be if any pieces came off the brush it could cause problems, that's why the walnut shells work because they will just burn up if any are left over.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

EGR doesn't help but PCV is pretty bad on some engines. You can't just dump it on the highway like the old days, so the engine is forced to eat it. Catch can would also help but doubt it would eliminate it completely either.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Larrymer posted:

Eh, I'll run my GTI until it starts misfiring or setting codes and then clean it. Doesn't seem like a huge deal but is another annoying added expensive/effort to put into it. Still, it will probably happen once over the lifetime that I own the car so I'm not too worried about it.

i think i'm going to see how well this CRC intake gunk cleaner works on my wife's CX5 (currently at 54k mi) and consider throwing a can through my gti every year. 10 bucks is pretty inexpensive.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Larrymer posted:

EGR doesn't help but PCV is pretty bad on some engines. You can't just dump it on the highway like the old days, so the engine is forced to eat it. Catch can would also help but doubt it would eliminate it completely either.

PCV is definitely an issue. doogle had a bead on it and I ordered a modified unit https://www.rbturbo.com/rbpcv

Good thing too, because a bad valve was part of this car's problem. The existing pcv valve (I'm sure it's original) allows air through both ways... so it's not much of a valve anymore. Also, there was a flapper valve in the breather hose next to the pcv valve on the valve cover, and it was stuck, too. A good carb cleaner bath got it swinging properly again.

On the valve cleaning front, that CRC stuff is going to work for everything I need. When working with closed valves, you can spray in a pool of cleaner into each valve and let it sit while you scrub the rest of the area. Then, I taped up a metal baster nozzle to a shopvac and it cleans it up right now.

I'm out of CRC juice until Saturday, so I just gave all the ports a bit of a spray and it can sit until then, letting the juice do its work.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

PCV is definitely an issue. doogle had a bead on it and I ordered a modified unit https://www.rbturbo.com/rbpcv

Those guys sound like they drink their own piss.

"There are none available (nor will there ever be) that beat the performance of this valve."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Larrymer posted:

Those guys sound like they drink their own piss.

"There are none available (nor will there ever be) that beat the performance of this valve."

Heh. Yeah, that does sound pretty pompous. I didn't read their copy, I just went with something I saw referenced as standard on multiple N54 discussions, then doogle pointed it out and just ordered it. If it works, I'm happy, even if they're a bit douche-y.

I just got the eBay valve cover. Holy poo poo, I don't know how they do it some times.

This thing weighs about 5 pounds, is fully loaded with about 2 dozen captive fasteners and a fully-fitted valve cover gasket. All for $75 delivered. That's pretty remarkable. It'll get put on tomorrow.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Seminal Flu posted:

his GTI and mom for her Beetle... loving hell, a lot of our cars have that stupid design.

FINEGERMANENGINEERINGISBESTESTENGINEERING!
I can't imagine it's much different for the GTI or the Beetle. On my GTI (BPY engine) you removed the plastic engine cover, got a piece of rubber pipe that would fit a sports ball inflation needle, remove the sensor from the intake manifold (dead center), and suck up a cup of Sea Foam or CRC and then let it sit for 10 minutes, then run till no more smoke show. It's out there on the youtubes.

Apparently, in later revisions of these newer motors, they are starting to add an injector back into the intake to clean the backs of the valves.
If it's a real problem for any of those cars and provided you don't have stupid laws, ERG block-off/reroute to a catch can.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

BloodBag posted:

It's a problem with all of them, Ecoboosts coke up just like all the rest. KIAs system is a licensed, improved version of Mitsubishis GDI iirc, and it cokes real good.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

No work on car yesterday. Stupid kids took up all my time and energy.

Today, hopefully this is as deep as I'm getting:

The inside looked good. No sludging of note, a few little bits in zero flow areas. Timing chain guides looked good. New valve cover is installed. New RB PCV valve is installed. New fitting on coolant hose into head is installed. Oil refilled. Coolant Refilled.

Just need Amazon to deliver the rest of the CRC juice and I'll get the rest of the cylinders cleaned, then time to button the motherfucker up.

I took on too many jobs at once with this one, I'm burned out with car stuff.

doogle
May 24, 2003

The good news is you might be done for a while after all that! I didn't really have too many issues with my N54, even at double the stock HP, but I got rid of it after 100k so you're into the unknown for me maintenance requirement-wise.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

doogle posted:

The good news is you might be done for a while after all that! I didn't really have too many issues with my N54, even at double the stock HP, but I got rid of it after 100k so you're into the unknown for me maintenance requirement-wise.

Did you have to deal with the loving coolant hose that goes into the head? I said earlier that I found it broken inside and ordered a new one.

Well, I got the new one, cut the plastic fitting off of the new hose and clamped it to the old one. Then I bolted it back to the head. I filled the coolant back up and... loving awesome... the new fitting is leaking like a sieve. Looks like the o-ring was too loose. Either way, not loving with it.

After I ordered the new hose, I found that there's aftermarket metal replacements. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CNYD2JS/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I ended up buying one of those and hopefully I'll be done with that poo poo. Won't be here until Monday, though.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

zundfolge posted:

Last year I bought a Volvo that included a ton of receipts from MAG and all sorts of stuff was messed up so I'm not sure how much I'd trust their techs, assuming that was the dealer in question.

The PO had everything done at Kelly, but I can't fully blame them for this one. Yes, it was broken when I took it out, but in doing some reading (and seeing the new replacement part poo poo the bed), I think it could just be bad design that disintegrated in service. Either way, I'm hoping the metal replacement part takes care of the issue. 'Cause it's super annoying to have everything ready to go and have to wait another day to see if I'm even remotely competent.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Seminal Flu posted:

I took on too many jobs at once with this one, I'm burned out with car stuff.

BMW_out_of_warranty_ownership.txt

Goddamn I'm glad I'm reading this thread when I was pining to have another E46 coupe. At no point during my ownership of my previous one did it go 24 hours without something broken.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BloodBag posted:

BMW_out_of_warranty_ownership.txt

Goddamn I'm glad I'm reading this thread when I was pining to have another E46 coupe. At no point during my ownership of my previous one did it go 24 hours without something broken.

Yeah, I had a pristine E39, and even that made me question which thing was going to go next. Then, a year after selling it, I started looking at Minis for a project. And talked myself out of them, because I know better. But there's a draw... and the question is... how much am I willing to put up with for a 400hp, twin turbo wagon? I don't know. I've got the Escalade as an automotive cockroach, so transportation isn't an issue, but I've got other things to do, too.

It's summer time, so I don't have any classes to teach for another month. I kinda wanted to get some other stuff done, but I'm hoping that in another week the car will be at least driveable.

The thing is that it's kinda fun. The car was over $60k not 10 years ago and I'm balls deep into taking it apart. With that, it's a challenge to see if I can get it back together in a reasonable manner... and then hope. There's always hope. BMW.

doogle
May 24, 2003

I was cleaning up the garage and found a factory intake charge pipe with diverter valves if you end up needing it from blowing up the original one from 20 psi.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

The thing is that it's kinda fun. The car was over $60k not 10 years ago.

Heh, that's what I love about our Lexus. Was like 70k new, and still like new when we bought it for 9k thanks to massive luxury car depreciation (which probably has a lot to do with the German car reputation) but with Toyota reliability. The only thing i've done to the car since we've had it is replace the brakes and change the oil. And this is a commuter car that my wife is putting a poo poo ton of miles on, the thing is a work horse with hardly any attention paid to it, it's been a champ and I love that I don't have to gently caress with it. My xB has been just as reliable, having two cars that need minimum care is something I'm not used to but it's been pretty great. No more revolving my weekends on what needs to be done to a car :)

quote:

There's always hope. BMW.

Lol

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah but old toyota/lexus just don't look as good. I got my budget 525 to eventually do a budget m54b30 swap into. I don't mind the old lexus as a neighbour has a ls400 and we're like "1990 only old cars still standing in a sea of SUVs " crew though)
But if I had spare cash (like, house was paid of kind of cash), I'd probably buy a 540 to use as a daily while I 1/2 jzgte swapped the 525 instead and while searching around for the perfect m5 as well.
A boring cheap reliable car in australia is a falcon barra

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 22, 2018

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I can't be the only one who was thinking Panther Piss while looking at those intake pictures

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fo3 posted:

Yeah but old toyota/lexus just don't look as good.

I beg to differ, besides I'll take the trade off of no GDCS or any other of the myriad of issues of a similar year BMW.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
As someone with three E30s I both love and hate, this thread is very relatable.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So why do DI petrol engines gunk up the intake so god drat badly but you dont hear of it being an issue on direct injection diesels? Or any diesel really- No diesel injects into the intake, its all direct into cylinder

Aquatic Daredevil
May 17, 2009

:fap:take that robo-juice

Ferremit posted:

So why do DI petrol engines gunk up the intake so god drat badly but you dont hear of it being an issue on direct injection diesels? Or any diesel really- No diesel injects into the intake, its all direct into cylinder

Direct injection diesel usually means a vertical injector and valves, so it's not spraying on a 45° angle onto the valve stem. And DI diesel has it's own demons - read EGR systems

Aquatic Daredevil
May 17, 2009

:fap:take that robo-juice
I should also mention the state of most modern diesel intake manifolds - ports will be 30% the size by 150k. EGR is a lazy answer to emissions.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:siren: This motherfucker is fast. First time I've said an involuntary "wow" in regards to a car's acceleration in a while. Took it over for dad to see and he said the same thing. It's absolutely on-par with his E92 M3. That's nice.

Post office took its sweet loving time delivering the metal coolant fitting, but after that it went... okay. Coolant top-off and bleed, then let the computers re-sync with a couple ignition cycles. It took a WHILE for it to start the first time, the air/fuel cold start mixture must have been hosed with all of the build-up. Got a transmission error when I first took it out, it couldn't shift into 6th at first, but that was just not having the fluid everywhere after the fluid change. I reset and that never showed up again. After that, I blew off the charge pipe and then a blowoff valve, but minor things in the scope of all that it's seen in the last few days.

But you can feel a difference now. That gunk in the intake was just choking the poo poo out of the motor. Now that it can breathe, it's much happier. And I'm anxious to let it build its maps and see how it does in a few days.

I still don't trust it yet, but man, it's fast.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
My N55 broke its charge pipe at 55k km. I had owned it for 3 months at that point. My understanding is it is extremely common and is just classic German crap plastic.

I also had probably that same coolant pipe break at the head as you, same cause I guess.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

doogle posted:

I was cleaning up the garage and found a factory intake charge pipe with diverter valves if you end up needing it from blowing up the original one from 20 psi.

Red_Fred posted:

My N55 broke its charge pipe at 55k km. I had owned it for 3 months at that point. My understanding is it is extremely common and is just classic German crap plastic.

Yeah, I may have to take doogle up on his charge pipe offer. This blow off was my fault, though. It just wasn't seated enough.

quote:

I also had probably that same coolant pipe break at the head as you, same cause I guess.
It looks like a pretty common failure. The new metal fitting is MUCH tighter and installed without any fuss. A much better solution.

I ordered a dual cone intake setup. Kinda makes me sad, since I got a K&N drop in just after I bought the car, but before I realized how tuneable the car is. Looks like there's legitimate gains from a $100 bill thrown at it, so I'm trying that. No more mods after that. Probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Seminal Flu posted:

It took a WHILE for it to start the first time, the air/fuel cold start mixture must have been hosed with all of the build-up.

When I test drove a 135 coupe this was the first sign that the HPFP was on it's way out.

If it's not that, perhaps the throttle body was doing its homing procedure. The EJ25 sohc(2008) and the MZR both need to home the throttle body after the ECU has been reset or battery unplugged for a few hours. It's usually 30 seconds of ignition on, no run and then proceed to start.