Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I had an idea for a fighter (bored at work so my minds wanders and makes poo poo up) and was wondering if a fighter gimmick like this can be mechanically sound for a platform fighter like MVS.

Best example would be Ice King from Adventure Time. His gimmick is he'll have a 'crown meter' on him. It depletes whenever he attacks with regular and special attacks (specials take away far more) and are generally strong, but it depletes less if the attack connects and it can slowly recover over time. If it becomes empty, he transforms into Simon. Simon would be weaker overall but can still fight. The crown meter refills over time, with successful attacks, or using one of the replaced specials. Once full you use one of the special moves to transforms back.

I know Zelda/Shiek and Pokemon Trainer have been around but could Multiverses be a good place for a fighter that forces you to change your strategy based on their mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I always felt one of the reasons (not the only reason but a small contributing factor) to why Snake wasn't brought back in Smash For was due to that being the time the Metal Gear series was trying to be as "Dark, Gritty and Serious" as Kojima tried to get it to be with V. Ground Zeroes, Phantom Pain and all. Like the mindset was this is what the franchise was gonna be from now on, put the kids to bed. OF course that was before we found out the franchise wasn't going to be much of anything come 2015 and basically since then any time Metal Gear shows up anywhere it's almost always Solid Snake or Naked Snake-era stuff showing up.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
[Shaggy voice] Pastrami...on RYE?!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Waffleopolis posted:

I had an idea for a fighter (bored at work so my minds wanders and makes poo poo up) and was wondering if a fighter gimmick like this can be mechanically sound for a platform fighter like MVS.

Best example would be Ice King from Adventure Time. His gimmick is he'll have a 'crown meter' on him. It depletes whenever he attacks with regular and special attacks (specials take away far more) and are generally strong, but it depletes less if the attack connects and it can slowly recover over time. If it becomes empty, he transforms into Simon. Simon would be weaker overall but can still fight. The crown meter refills over time, with successful attacks, or using one of the replaced specials. Once full you use one of the special moves to transforms back.

I know Zelda/Shiek and Pokemon Trainer have been around but could Multiverses be a good place for a fighter that forces you to change your strategy based on their mode?

Your avatar makes me think that AEW should partner up.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I think a Nagoriyuki type character would work just fine for Multiversus, as long as it's extremely obvious when you're close to or in your low power state. A visual transformation like Ice King to Simon would probably work just fine for conveying a state change, so really the only issue is making sure the meter is visible through all the 2v2 bullshit.

Also yeah put Jon Moxley in the game. And Kenny too, I guess.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 8, 2022

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Waffleopolis posted:

So, the number one problem with designing platform fighters is that, because of the freedom of movement, disengaging and running away is almost always the "correct" tactical move. The only true exception is if your opponent makes a mistake that you can 100% capitalize on. Due to this, designers have to avoid gameplay elements that themselves encourage running away/camping like the plague, and a character that gets worse by engaging and better by running away is exactly that.

Imagine Joker but without Arsene he's terrible.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

raditts posted:

Have you heard his voice acting in the 2009 Ghostbusters game? Be careful what you wish for.

*Slams table with my monkey paw

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
If you're gonna bring in Bill Murray, you can only bring him in for one thing.

To voice Dan Akroyd

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

LanceKing2200 posted:

So, the number one problem with designing platform fighters is that, because of the freedom of movement, disengaging and running away is almost always the "correct" tactical move. The only true exception is if your opponent makes a mistake that you can 100% capitalize on. Due to this, designers have to avoid gameplay elements that themselves encourage running away/camping like the plague, and a character that gets worse by engaging and better by running away is exactly that.

Imagine Joker but without Arsene he's terrible.

I think that is far less of an issue in a 2v2 game. It's far more difficult to stay away from two opponents, and sometimes even being successful in running away means leaving your teammate to fight the 2v1.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Love a good self-own, me.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

raditts posted:

also how it's kind of hosed up to cross over Game of Thrones with children's cartoons.

Man this game is really hosed up (positive)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
on one hand i do find the aGoT stuff weird and gross
on the other hand when i imagine alex delarge in the game my brain while understanding that is also weird, can't help but think "woah..."

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
They made a kids show and kids toys out of Rambo and Robocop. We'll be fine.

Edit: Oh, and Conan the Barbarian.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah there's nothing wrong with the GOT stuff other than nerds being self important.

Also Jim Sterling is a idiot. Anytime someone says "crossovers aren't special anymore" is stupid and severely out of touch with how people consume media now a days

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

DeadButDelicious posted:

Apparently it was just for client side skin mods, which seems pretty innocuous

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

worms butthole guy posted:

Yeah there's nothing wrong with the GOT stuff other than nerds being self important.

hey man, I think the clutching of pearls over the GoT in Multiversus stuff is a bit much, but there is definitely a little something wrong with leading kids to a show with themes/scenes like GoT.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Let's be real kids ain't the main audience for Multiversus anyway.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Apparently it was just for client side skin mods, which seems pretty innocuous

Yeah, but they fell straight into the ol' pratfall of running a modified client for a game that also uses cheat detection for multiplayer and account protection. Easy Anti-Cheat is too dumb to tell the difference between a cosmetic mod and a gameplay one, and it's gonna boot you either way.

On the flip-side, plenty of games have had Easy Anti-Cheat circumvented in the past, and it probably won't be too long until folks figure out how to do it in this one, so it really just works as a base-level deterrent that'll mostly just stop folks from trying to hack characters/cosmetics into their account (the next time the account verifies it'll spot the difference and ban them) and otherwise mostly just be schmuck bait for anyone who gets too greedy with gameplay cheats or too lazy with cosmetic ones.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

DeadButDelicious posted:

Am I interpreting this correctly in that it's possible to copyright strike someone (presumably on Twitch) for streaming a modded copy of the game? I might be misunderstanding, because if that's the case it seems real bad.

Cheating in multiplayer is bad, but how is it a copyright violation? How is it distributing works you don't own the intellectual property rights to? Seems to me the game maker should be able to ban you from the game, but not penalize you on Twitch.

Even on Twitch's end, fine maybe they want to ban people who stream cheating in multiplayer for similar reasoning to why YouTube might ban you for engaging in disruptive antisocial pranks. But it's not a copyright violation, it's a community standards violation.

(And yes I know purely cosmetic mods aren't necessarily cheating in the first place.)

I must be misunderstanding something here. If it's the way I wrote above, it's a bizarre / bad policy.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah but none of those Nintendo games are M rated. Otherwise you could also point to Kirby being a cosmic horror.

A better argument would probably be Snake chocking out Mario. But no property in Smash goes nearly as hard into mature themes as Game of Thrones, and I could see an argument that Smash has "earned" it's dichotomous crossovers through the touches poured into the flavor of the game(s), stuff like the toybox aesthetics or just little bits of love like Snake's absurd codecs on the Smash cast.

Kirby is vore.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Cheating in multiplayer is bad, but how is it a copyright violation?

In this specific case the mods in question added iCarly and Walter White so I'm guessing that probably has something to do with it

Tony also said in the replies they were talking about the mod stuff internally as a result so who knows how it'll shake out

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I mean, I found it funny that if you're doing dumb poo poo like running to the game director on social media when you know you're going against the ToS/EULA/whatever you get called on it :shrug:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

No Dignity posted:

I think some people have just decided they're against the game on principle

I feel like Space Jam 2 poisoned the well, then shat in it, then dropped some high powered explosives in there. That movie was dire and was, I think, the first big WB crossover. People just saw Lebron and Bugs together and it loving sucked.

I guess Ready Player One was first but I feel like it didn't wear its corporate cross promotion on its sleeve quite like Space Jam did.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

DeadButDelicious posted:

I mean, I found it funny that if you're doing dumb poo poo like running to the game director on social media when you know you're going against the ToS/EULA/whatever you get called on it :shrug:

i think it's non-obvious that a modded client would result in a copyright strike even if modding is against the ToS, can't blame someone for thinking those things are disconnected

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

DeadButDelicious posted:

A copyright claim from the game developer/publisher for having modded skins is stupid and an abuse of the copyright claim system. I can understand it if AMC Networks is getting all up-in-arms about a Walter White skin and filing the claim, but otherwise anything in the video would just be content from MultiVersus itself. If it's a violation of the ToS, ban the account and don't lean on a (already heavily abused and dumb as hell) system that's meant for reporting your own stolen content.

It's pretty tone-deaf considering the number of top Smash players that use mods in Melee/Ult to change Captain Falcon to Captain America or any number of alternate skins, and Noted Litigant Nintendo doesn't even try to go after their videos for that.

Edit: ok yeah nintendo did take down youtube vids about smash mods whoops

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 9, 2022

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Is banning the account somehow better for the streamer? I'm not sure it's technically an abuse of the copyright claim system, since the copyrighted work, i.e. MultiVersus, is being altered without their permission.

Google shows me stories like this: https://www.dexerto.com/smash/smash-youtubers-claim-nintendo-is-copyright-striking-all-videos-with-mods-1471236/ suggesting Nintendo was doing the exact same kind of copyright claim stuff. Has that changed recently? (I guess there were claims that it wasn't really Nintendo doing the claims etc. but I'd be kinda surprised if they actually had a policy of accepting modded streams or whatever)

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Martman posted:

Is banning the account somehow better for the streamer? I'm not sure it's technically an abuse of the copyright claim system, since the copyrighted work, i.e. MultiVersus, is being altered without their permission.

Google shows me stories like this: https://www.dexerto.com/smash/smash-youtubers-claim-nintendo-is-copyright-striking-all-videos-with-mods-1471236/ suggesting Nintendo was doing the exact same kind of copyright claim stuff. Has that changed recently?

Here I am eating a big plate of crow, yum yum yum. :negative:

I still stand by Copyright shouldn't be used for this purpose, but yeah it seems like Nintendo's hitting Youtube videos of mods. Where I usually see stuff like modded skins is on Smash streamer's Twitch channels/VODs and they're never called out explicitly in the title of the video. When Copyright is used for the purpose of shutting down mod videos, that starts to bring up the debate from a few years back of game companies claiming copyright (or demonetization) on any video of their game that they don't like.

extra extra edit: I don't think the person should be banned or get copyright claimed for modding a new skin in, it's super harmless and makes the dev/publisher of MultiVersus look petty.

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 9, 2022

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

They've been letting streamers get away with playing modded Smash lately (Nairo will just like, have Kermit on full display, or ESAM using the mod that makes the training mode better) on their twitch/youtube streams. I imagine now that the Smash updates are done, they just are now not paying any more attention to anything Smash related on youtube.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
DMCA is also not a ban, and no-one's ever been banned for using smash mods.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yeah honestly with Smash, I wouldn't be surprised if stuff just slips through the cracks, especially as Nintendo wants to devote fewer resources to it. MultiVersus is trying to establish itself and I think that's gonna invite more scrutiny than usual on streamers.

I wasn't realizing the implication that this kind of strike is more likely to get a Twitch streamer banned from Twitch I guess? Or am I misunderstanding that? I think the most important thing would be for the MultiVersus devs to be super clear and upfront about what they want out of streamers; I dunno if they've been open about that wrt mods but, as long as it's consistent... i dunno streamers could just not mod their client lol

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
IP holders will always be able to copyright strike mods on the grounds of "Mods are against our ToS, so by modding the game, and then streaming it, you're streaming our IP in a way that's unapproved/in a form we don't authorize."

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Boxman posted:

I feel like Space Jam 2 poisoned the well, then shat in it, then dropped some high powered explosives in there. That movie was dire and was, I think, the first big WB crossover. People just saw Lebron and Bugs together and it loving sucked.

I guess Ready Player One was first but I feel like it didn't wear its corporate cross promotion on its sleeve quite like Space Jam did.

RPO poisoned the well for the Gamemaster Anthony style crossover. Disney's increasingly disconcerting mass media dominance poisoned the well for the idea of all your faves being united under one corp. Then Space Jam combined the two with the desperation of Warner's inferiority complex.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
This is all because of that "Play as Rick Now" mod from last week. It's like Tony and the team put too much faith in gamers not trying to make him playable early. That even if they found enough working stuff in the files to get a character playable or their skin to show ahead of time that they wouldn't do it because they know how important the F2P aspect of the game is in order to keep it running.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Viewtiful Jew posted:

This is all because of that "Play as Rick Now" mod from last week. It's like Tony and the team put too much faith in gamers not trying to make him playable early. That even if they found enough working stuff in the files to get a character playable or their skin to show ahead of time that they wouldn't do it because they know how important the F2P aspect of the game is in order to keep it running.

They probably could've ignored it but gamers being absolute morons were taking Rick online

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Excited to lose access to my accessibility recolors and have them not add a color select.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

Excited to lose access to my accessibility recolors and have them not add a color select.

Pantone about to come through with their first ever Youtube flag.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Just finished the Battle Pass. Wasn't as hard when I realized there were more seasonal goals. Kind of sad we won't see Rick and Morty for awhile. I specifically got the Founder's Pack so I could guarantee to unlock them.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
p. sure they expanded the pre-season for 1 week only

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
It's funny Morty is releasing before Rick and we know way more about the latter. I don't think we even know his class, just that he'll be an "expert" character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

goferchan posted:

It's funny Morty is releasing before Rick and we know way more about the latter. I don't think we even know his class, just that he'll be an "expert" character

He's listed as a brawler. Where did you hear he would be an expert character?