Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Hero is fukken wild

Gonna be a lot of terrible down Bs out there tonight, stay safe folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Strange Matter posted:

Ridley Buffs look tasty

I may actually have to learn Ridley now, this is real fun

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Well, now that I've had time to settle on this new version and character, my conclusion is clear:

I still hate Joker, gently caress that rear end in a top hat

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Elman posted:

Honest question: why would you play Samus now that Hero exists? He just seems all around better. Not that Samus was very good, but still.

As someone whose best character is currently Samus, they really play nothing alike. Samus is way more zone-y and evasive. Hero is like some kind of Robin/Ike combo. They just feel totally different.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Teach me how to properly beat down with Samus and how to use her throws, because I find they're terribly weak. The zoning range game is easy enough to understand, but I find she's got some great melee moves that I'm not exploiting well.

Caveating first that I'm not all that good (~4 millions gsp), I've found it key with Samus to have charge shot stashed as much as possible...but to very rarely use it. People will expect it and it will throw off their game, and since it's so fast you can toss it out when they truly can't do much about it. Throws, then, become a way to get them off stage and then charge shot and/or come out so you can gimp them. Up throw is fairly useful when stringing into her Aerials too and can kill at high %.

As someone else said, her tilts are super useful too. I love her down tilt maybe a bit too much, very quick to come out, can hit around shields well, and either pops up into a possible combo or kills outright at higher %.

Most of all, I find her fun less due to zoning and more because of her built in misdirection. Since the bombs can change her direction she can really go any which way, and she has so many options at different ranges you can change tactics on the fly. If I can get someone to chase me I can rack up a ton of damage in a hurry, and then her kill moves start to include things like properly placed fairs and uairs.

Never going to argue that she's better than a middling character, and I should probably focus on improving someone with a higher ceiling, but I love using her so much.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Oh, a new character? No thank you!

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Why did I just run into five different Little Macs on online play? Did he just get a buff or something? If so, he's been buffed to "still a loving disaster."

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Macaluso posted:

God bless Ness players who don't realize their absorb doesn't work against the Mecha Koopa

This is fun with Samus' missiles, too. Especially when you can get a charge shot to land half a second after the missile hits.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
*Trent Reznor voice* TERRIBLE LAG

Macaluso posted:

I just fought a Marth player who no joke played like a Jigglypuff player. I had no idea how to deal with him

I'd be confused if a Marth used rest on me too

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
As someone who mains a zoner (Samus), Young Link is a bitch to play. So far the best I've found is to keep a charge shot charged, because it's like having an ace up the sleeve that trumps all his arrow/boomerang bullshit. Maddening to get through all of that though. Lots of work to do on that matchup.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I have the same issue with Banjo that I do with Pokemon Trainer/Charizard, which is that I do fine until I get tired and then I run into their wonder wing/dragon rush like a chump and want to eat my controller in rage

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Can't believe they're finally adding Pikachu, the electric rat Pokemon, to Super Smash Brothers

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
At last, I can fight a character with disjoints, really fast aerials, and a counter that people will spam

Thank god, I've been waiting so long

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Eh, not super exciting, but I won't care as long as Byleth isn't annoying as poo poo to play like Hero

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I've been playing some form of Smash Bros since middle school and playing default has always kinda been my thing. Maybe I'm just contrary (read: boring).

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

RareAcumen posted:

Same problem. I just don't like alternate colors for most characters. The default designs tend to be solid, aside from alt things like Bowser Jr. It's much better here though compared to Melee though, everything looks so good.

I mean, I don't consider it a problem, my friends would duel Falcon dittos in 64 over who had the right to wear the pink and white outfit and it was funny. It's just not my thing--although I do like to play as the purple gorilla sometimes.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Make the Death Stranding guy a character, and give him the Brawl random tripping mechanic so he completely eats poo poo and spills his stuff all over every so often

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Make that Master Shake and we're talking

Come to think of it, make a Pokemon Trainer style ATHF character, with Carl as the trainer/annoyed background poo poo talker.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Theta Zero posted:

ATHF did have a video game. Even if it was abysmal.

Probably some balance issues, you cannot defeat the quad laser

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Samus buffs yeeeeeesssss

On BF against midweight:

Upsmash kills at 100
Dash starts killing around 110
Upthrow kills at 165
Zair actually does some damage and seems to disrupt better

I'm gonna have fun with this one

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
So many Byleths online

In related news, my Samus is over 5.9 million for the first time :v:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Ohhhh thaaaaat's how you b-reverse! Well...this certainly answers some questions. Maybe I won't get caught facing the wrong way so God drat much.

Hope my opponents are prepared for a lot of weirdly timed homing missiles this month

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
2021: Sora introduced to Smash Ultimate

2022: Smash Ultimate placed in Disney's vault, unavailable for purchase for next 20 years

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Sea Lily posted:

vault's dead, they ditched it

like i know you're busy makin a joke here and all

but thank god the vault is dead

*bangs on hood of taxi*

Ey, I'm jokin heah I'm jokin heah!

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

bladeworksmaster posted:

Started using Samus as a secondary for my Terry, and I like what I’m using! Any pointers a novice Samus should know?

Samus is my main and she's way fun! This guy has some good breakdowns on his channel. https://youtu.be/6pbQK8E3v8w

In general: be patient, learn how to punish out of shield, reset to neutral when possible, practice hitting with your zair (I've found practice mode with a constantly jumping Kirby is a good way to train up on this), and learn the how the dang tilts work they are your friend.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Beamed posted:

Samus tilts are the difference between a wi-fi Samus and an actual decent Samus

I might get more kills with the utilt than any other move

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I dunno, I haven't noticed DK being that much tougher than anyone else, but I suppose I don't see him that often. Spike is rough but there are ways around it. And that huge hitbox is so so nice to hit.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Ultimate Samus has a sort of broken jab 2, it doesn't really work great

But since they juuuust buffed her and didn't change the jab I guess it's just intentional. So yeah, stick with jab 1 to tilt/charge shot/whatever

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

super fart shooter posted:

The bombs also let you instantly go full momentum in either direction, regardless of your current air momentum, which is a huge asset in landing safely and mixing up someone who's trying to juggle

Yeah that's the biggest deal for me, you can change direction in mid-air without airdodging or b reversing. Plus it's free pressure on the edge, the morph ball lets you slide back on the ground for some real easy spacing.

When knocked off stage just start bombing and save your second jump, makes getting back way easier. Such a useful move.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I always seem to be facing the wrong direction when recovering. So when I use grapple it doesn't connect and I end up falling to death.

*smiles sagely*
Fellow traveler the move that you seek is the b reverse
https://youtu.be/mL4EKnsBYRo

Anyway, I just absolutely wrecked a DK with similar gsp online so I'm gonna figure that's not a Samus counterpick. Fox and Lucina, on the other hand, usually gently caress me up. And Hero, but that's more of a personal mental block more than anything, gently caress that guy.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Quik is loving awesome and is also my favorite Samus. Helps that he's the pro with the style closest to what I like to play, if you grant that I'm basically a fourth grader with a violin next to his Mozart. Stuff he does to bait with a canceled charge shot is a great extra complication. I've learned a lot through watching him, and the more I learn the more complexity I see.

YB also has some absolutely insane moves, but his stuff seems less achievable for a schmuck like me.

https://youtu.be/woV0866QI90

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Next character should be from Guilty Gear. Make them just absurdly technical and difficult to play. Arcade stick inputs required. RC that poo poo or you're dead.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Yeah that's bizarre, I have my rules set to 7 min 3 stock no items and Battlefield. I very rarely get stages outside of BF and FD, even more rarely get final smashes, and absolutely never get items. Most rule shenanigans seem to come from lowering the number of stocks or lowering the time to like 3". Which I just don't get, you like sudden death or something?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Maple Leaf posted:

Some characters or players would like Sudden Death more than playing regularly, especially if they have big, heavy projectiles like Samus or Lucario. A coin flip is easier to win than earning it.

I main Samus and still hate it. I play this game to play Smash, not weirdo rock paper scissors!

Strange Matter posted:

Beating people with trash rulesets is extremely satisfying though.

Hell yeah. Ran across a Snake playing 1 stock on FD the other day, thought he was so clever. Enjoy that bair shithead.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Supersonic Shine posted:

Anybody have a character who makes you happy whenever you remember they're in Smash? Ridley and Banjo & Kazooie never fail to delight me with their very presences.

I am glad that Ultimate finally gave me the chance to play as the fearsome space bounty hunter, Samus Aran

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Have online connections been particularly dogshit for anyone else lately? It seems to have gotten a lot worse in the last two weeks. It's so depressing to have a good run thrown out the window because I run into some Mario whose framerate slows to a crawl whenever I try to combo him. Used to be maybe 1 in 10 games and now it's more like 3 in 5.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

SeANMcBAY posted:

A lot of ISPs are throttling due to the pandemic.

Another thing the pandemic is loving with, then. I thought that was likely but...balls. Guess I'm on hiatus from online play til things improve.

gently caress the corona

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
This seems like it's going to be fun. Wonder how their hitboxes will work.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Netplay is slowly getting faster again.

There should be a "hard pass" setting for certain rule sets though. Like, no, I don't want to play your Ness on 3:00 2 stock with 150hp. I'd rather wait in the training room thanks.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Little Mac is loving BORING and nobody actually likes playing as him or against him.

I love playing against him, get him off the edge and he's dead meat. Bing bong so simple.

It's also hilarious to spot dodge a KO punch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
So excited to play as everyone's favorite character, Minmay from Robotech