Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Do Zelda and Shiek have new final smashes?

It’d be super lame for them to keep the arrows now that Link is using it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Have we seen Yoshi’s new final smash yet?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

TheLoneStar posted:

I mean, are we really gonna pretend like every character in the roster is a huge name? There are characters in the roster far less deserving, but only got in because they were in one Nintendo game thirty years ago that no one played. Looking at you, Ice Climbers.

Sakurai has said a long time ago that Ice Climbers represent all the weird one-off NES games that weren't super popular and didn't become huge franchises.

Excite Bike, Urban Champion, Balloon Fight, etc.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/AshPaulsen/status/1010407798406934528

:swoon:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Shadowlyger posted:

Actually, World of Warcraft's devs have managed to implement several secrets in the latest expansion, by putting together riddles in such a way that datamining can't really find them. That wouldn't exactly work in a game like Smash, of course, but...

Batman: Arkham Asylum had a huge secret that hinted at the sequel that no one found for a year or two.

It’s possible to still hide secrets in games, it just doesn’t happen often.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Mercury Crusader posted:

If PlayStation All-Stars didn't have any third-party characters and wasn't constantly hounded as a "Smash Bros. rip-off," does the PlayStation brand/Sony IPs have enough pull to make people give a crap about such a game?

All I remember about the roster complaints was that there was no Crash, Spyro, Snake, or Cloud, which left me to believe nobody cared about any of Sony's actual first-party stuff.

To be fair, those four were the backbone of the original Playstation. Leaving them out is like leaving Mario, Link, Pikachu, and Kirby out of Smash. The PS1 didn't need much notable first party stuff because the third party lineup was so powerful.

Besides, the game is called "Playstation All-Stars", after all, not "Sony All-Stars". :v:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Waluigi’s Up+B would be him jumping upwards and throwing a slam dunk. The basketball would bounce around the stage like a weaker soccer ball.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Wyvernil posted:

Castlevania seems like the best choice for a second Konami series rep, definitely. Simon Belmont would be an excellent choice.

I guess Tekken works as a second Namco pick; Heihachi or Yoshimitsu would both be good calls.

For Square-Enix, I'd go with either Dragon Quest (Erdrick?) or a SNES-era Final Fantasy character like Terra or Cecil. Some people have suggested Kingdom Hearts, but only a few of its games have made it on Nintendo consoles, plus clearing the rights with Disney would be an extra hurdle.

Has Tekken ever been on a Nintendo console?

For a second Namco pick, I'd personally say a Tales character, but then you'd get people complaining about swords again.

As far as Kingdom Hearts goes, there's been four of the nine games released on Nintendo systems. I'd say that's enough to qualify, though the Disney part would make it harder.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Zore posted:

Realistically if they use a Tales protagonist it'll be Lloyd from Symphonia. Mostly because he showed up in that weird Soul Calibur spin off for the Wii and had a Mii costume in 4. Symphonia was big on the GameCube, had a Wii sequel and was like the last major Tales game Nintendo had (except for the crap JP-only version of Grace's).

And hey he's a swordsman who uses two swords.

There was also this which is awesome and I want one.

But yes Lloyd for Smash please. His moveset practically makes itself and I think he'd be a lot of fun to play.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

If we got any indie fighter, I'd want Quote from Cave Story.

Cave Story kicked off the whole indie trend, Cave Story coming to Wii was a really big deal at the time, and there's a lot of fun things you could do with his moveset.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

Despite having shitloads of people on the internet who remember MML1+2 + Misadventures of Tron Bonne extremely fondly (like me), the games apparently sold like dog rear end so they just cut their losses and stopped funding MML3 after the demo had less than stellar numbers.

It wasn't the demo.

They had a forum set up for people to join so that fans could help on the game. They could give their input on things, and submit art/etc to the game. The official reason IIRC for the cancellation was that there wasn't enough people showing interest in that part of the development.

I think they called it the Dev Room?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Resident Evil and Street Fighter.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Lara Croft’s final smash would be locking you in the freezer.

Oxyclean posted:

Maybe it's personal cynicism but I've felt like Lara/Tomb Raider has never been a big deal. It's one of the most B-Tier franchises out there. Sure it's been around for awhile, but I remember it just always being a series know for being kinda janky and really not that great. I've heard the recent games are solid, but no-one in my social circles have played them. Lara isn't really relevant to gaming in the way Pac-Man is, and Tomb Raider games being on Nintendo systems is kind of the most ehhh argument because I'm assuming they're just half-baked ports - I can't imagine anyone thinks of Nintendo and Tomb Raider as a thing, not like how Final Fantasy was a Nintendo thing for the NES/SNES days.

Her games might be B-tier, but her franchise was pretty drat popular back on the PS1. She’s also arguably the best known female video game character, and she had two movies that did really drat well for themselves.

I can’t see her actually in Smash, but I can see logic behind it if she did get in somehow.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Zore posted:

She had another movie this year.

It did pretty okay.

I didn’t even realize that movie actually came out until I saw the blu-ray at Walmart. I can’t remember seeing a single trailer for it or any posters at our theater. I assumed it ended up flopping and got rushed to a home release. :shrug:

Avirosb posted:

And PCs.

I always forget her early stuff was on PC too. As hard as all the big PS1 magazines pushed her, she’s always been sorted in with the Playstation in my mind.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

HMS Beagle posted:

I'll say

Dragon Quest Hero (or Dragon Warrior, or whatever they'd call the main character from Dragon Quest)

His name is Erdrick!

Or Loto sometimes.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Theta Zero posted:

Speaking of dumb character choices, since I did a bet last time I'll do it again.

For anybody listening, quote this post and give me exactly five characters you think will be announced (or playable) when Smash Ultimate is released along with your Steam account and I'll buy the person with the most correct answers a whopping $10 game on Steam. Ties will be split evenly.

I'll save it all on a notepad document and review it when the game is released and the full roster (at launch, not DLC) is revealed.

Simon Belmont
Dillon
Chrom
Dark Samus
Medusa

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

glitchwraith posted:

I'd be very surprised to get Master Chief considering he's never been on a Nintendo console. Same could be said of Cloud, but at least his franchise has a history on Nintendo. Minecraft Steve, Banjo-Kazooie or even Battle Toads would make better Microsoft reps. Hell, Doom Guy would be a more likely FPS rep if not for the difficulty of making him PG enough for smash.

Cloud has been on multiple Nintendo systems in multiple games.

Bicyclops posted:

At this point, they should just forget about F-Zero and give Captain Falcon his own game where he adventures around punching bad guys with his fist.

I know it's cliche to suggest this at this point, but Captain Falcon action game by Platinum, please.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Slap City looks okay enough but the roster is completely zzzz.

No offense to the developer, but I've never played any of their other games and their character designs are mostly pretty bland and boring, so why would I want to play a Smash-clone with them when I could just be playing, y'know, Smash?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Eiba posted:

Yeah, I don't know why they'd do a whole direct for a new character. They could just reveal that on their website. If there's more information to be released it's probably what the single player is, or if there's some other interesting game mode like that neat mode where you ran around a map to get powerups on the 3DS or the loving awful board game mode on the Wii U.

I mean, I can imagine they might announce a character along side something like that, but I'd be surprised if it was just a character reveal.

They did it before with Smash 4.

Robin/Lucina was a direct announcement, it was just their trailer and that was it.

I'm pretty sure a couple others were announced that way too.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Has Dante ever appeared on a Nintendo system? Not saying this rules him out or anything, but if not he’d be the only third party character in that position.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Based on this character leak, people are now thinking the leak about Isabelle being playable is very likely which... On one hand I'd be stoked cause I like that character but on the other hand it feels weird for that character to be doing any kind of fighting

Haven't we seen her assist trophy in the game already?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

b_d posted:

I mean the FF rep being Cloud in particular is still kinda weird

Not really?

He's the main character of hands down the most popular and well known Final Fantasy, and had a moveset that practically made itself.

I know Black Mage gets thrown around a lot as a potential FF rep, but I feel like that'd be stepping on the toes of Robin a little too much, you know?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

.TakaM posted:

Did anyone realize how Sakurai was worried about his eyes being bloodshot during the Direct was actually a hint towards K.Rool's reveal?

I think he was hinting at it all along.

The first Pokemon they showed was Alola Exeggutor and the first item was the banana gun. Maybe it's a reach but they seemed to be pointing to a surprise K. Rool reveal to me.

The Kins posted:

I know the original character artist has been retweeting a lot of stuff.

"He's too big!"

Somewhere, Ridley is laughing.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Some people think this image Sakurai posted is teasing Isaac because it looks kinda similar to the Golden Sun battle screen.
https://twitter.com/sora_sakurai/status/1027234926167388160?s=21

What was the first Djinn that Felix got in Golden Sun: TLA?

Echo.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

absolutely anything posted:

only if it’s fat pikachu

Fat Pikachu, surfing Pikachu, and flying Pikachu, thanks.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Never. Not at all. Was it even going to BE on Gamecube? I mostly remember hearing about it in the context of the Xbox.

It was planned as a PS2/Xbox/Gamecube game.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

RuBisCO posted:

I want a rad axe lady
They’d probably add Camilla.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I don't get it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

this looks like a fuckin Digimon

This is and always has been the absolute worst way to criticize Pokémon designs.

Try again, and put some effort into it this time.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

There are way too few of these, too. It's like Castle Crashers and the Scott Pilgrim game. Mashing buttons and leveling up with friends is fun.

The Scott Pilgrim game essentially getting lost to time is a drat crime. :sigh:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

He's very important to FF7, sure, but as a background character introduced most of the way through the game who we know next to nothing about besides that he is kind of the original Cloud. You also don't have to be a fan of FF7 to recognize Cloud, basically the avatar for Final Fantasy. Look at this way: how many Kingdom Hearts games has Zack been in?

One, and it’s the one that people generally agree is the best KH.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Lobster Harmonica posted:

It'll be Geno. I really wonder what's up with Vergeben though, a couple times now he's described having sourced info in a way that I literally can't imagine. Like back around June he said there will be "Minecraft representation in some form" but can't elaborate on the context, whether that means anything from a stage to a trophy, song etc.

How does something so specific yet so vague get passed through the grapevine? Same with him knowing which three pokemon the newcomer pokemon ISN'T, but no clue on who it is. Who the hell at Nintendo is drip-feeding a gamefaqs guy bizarre hints about newcomers (and why is he always right)

He's probably being intentionally vague so that the leaks can't be traced back to whoever he is IRL or whoever is leaking him the info.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Mona
Sidon or Urbosa

For echoes...eh, I dunno.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah I’m going to trade in all of my suggestions for some kind of Eternal Darkness rep, thanks.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The rumors have said that Heihachi is getting in this time, so...there's your second Namco rep.

Boring choice, IMO, but I can't complain about Tekken getting representation if it's true.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm3DY2aS_kk

Chorus Kids would be a fun addition and you can't make me think otherwise. :colbert:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Customs were hella disappointing anyway.

Between being a slog to unlock and DLC characters not getting them, they ended up being way less interesting than they were advertised as.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Give Wario his dragon hat, thanks.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I thought Brawlout was the good one? :psyduck:

I can't keep these Smash clones straight, I swear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Zuzie posted:

Superman makes for a terrible video game character though, and I'm not just talking about Superman 64.

He's usually portrayed as nigh-invincible (flight, virtual invulnerability, super strength, has elemental powers like heat vision and ice breath, can survive the vacuum of space etc.) except for the Kyptonite weakness which was specifically introduced to make sure he has some kind of Achilles heel. He works as comic book character, but it falls flat for a video game where there needs to be an obvious losing state otherwise the game becomes boring to play. Hence why most video games about Superman tend to limit his abilities.

The Superman Returns game had a neat idea, where the city of Metropolis had it's own life bar. You were trying to limit the damage enemies did to the city, and that was your losing state.

It was a neat idea, pity the game itself was shite.