Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

My buddy is having lots of latency issues. We’ll be in a room of friends, all within a couple hours drive of each other, he and I have wired connections and the other two have good 5ghz wireless. He’s the only one that says it isn’t perfect, he even calls it unplayable.

Is there something I’m not thinking of? Can latency be inherent with your ISP? Can calling and complaining to your cable company do anything about it?

Everyone thinks they have "good" wireless connections. If you are gaming, consistency had a lot more value than bandwidth. Unless the 2.4 spectrum is crowded, your other friends should be playing on that. 5 is more easily disrupted by physical obstacles. The reality is that no wireless connection is going to produce the kind of reliability that a wired one would.

As for your buddy, how latency feels is highly subjective. I think there is somewhere around 15 - 20 frames of delay in my average 'good' match. This is pretty bad if you are expecting a local play experience and would rightly be called 'unplayable'. But thems kinda the breaks. Online is a different game than local and needs to be treated as such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

multijoe posted:

So, how do you approach K Rool on melee characters? My Ike got absolutely bodied in straight sets against one last night, he seems practically impossible to rush down between the projectile spam, super armour and counter and his up-smash and blunderbuss cover him really well from the air. Just feels an incredibly punishing character to fight against without your own projectiles or a reflector.

Slow projectiles are not necessarily bad projectiles folks.

I can't speak to the Ike / K Rool matchup specifically, but if the K Rool player is relying heavily on projectiles, super armor and counter, it's on you to read that. A strong solution is to rely more on the grab game. You should have a major advantage vs most the cast in the air as Ike. Keep in mind as well that his counter does not apply to his head. Practice aerials that are connecting with his head. Stage matters a lot here as well. Any FD layout is a massive disadvantage for you and the only advice I have is to start getting good at understanding your options and responses in the neutral. The nice thing is that most K Rool's online are carried by a kit that puts all the onus of play in their opponents hands. If you can deal with the bullshit onslaught, you will just collect free wins from most K Rool players. Keep in mind too that while his recovery is pretty hard to deal with, especially online, he is among the easiest characters to ledge trap in the game. His immense size and 'meh' aerials means you can cover 2/3rds his options by just drifting backwards from the ledge with nair. Getting a hard read on a roll should be a free kill with someone like Ike.

I drilled the matchup with a buddy of mine for about 4 hours with the intent to learn what I could get away with in the neutral vs a camping K Rool. My record vs K Rools online since has been 10/11 this is as Wolf (A super easy match-up for a ton of reasons, at 1.62m at time of writing) and Ridley (A matchup not too different from Ike, at 1.65m). I lost to one K Rool who actually understood how to spar in the neutral without leaning on a gun or a crown, a first of its kind.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Reiley posted:

Here's a guide on how to do good in Smash Ultimate:
1) dash left-right-left-right outside your opponent's range
2) when you dash forward, jump up in the air & fastfall nair to punish your opponent's whiffed attack
3) sometimes dash attack or dash grab instead

Boom. Welcome to the big leagues.

Completely unironically, I pushed 3 characters into elite with literally just this.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

RAR's are different but also suck and should have been removed.

Either make that kill move easy enough for casual players to pull off consistently, or remove it, but little glitches like this have always been a huge turn off for me.

I would like to hear more opinions about fighting game mechanics. If they are as well thought out as this one, these should be a treat!

:munch:

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tiger Millionaire posted:

They made too many of the characters fun to play and now I can never decide who to pick :colbert:

The answer is always Ridley, obv.

Space Dragon very fun and has a ton of personality.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
2 stocks introduces a lot more variance in the result. I prefer 3.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If we get to vote, I'd very much like Spyro to show up.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
For a game (and really, a series) that is so well polished, there is something about this game that sticks out like an infected cyst: Art Direction, specifically the background art.

The backgrounds in this game are super noisy and if you play a character that is either a color, or a color and neutral colors, any stage that happens to be in that same primary color makes absolutely no attempt to make the character visible. Ridley/Wolf on any stage that's generally dark, or Lucario on any stage with deep blue background are my current prime examples (although I'm sure there are others). It's really difficult to see any detail in the characters in real time and it's so easy to lose the silhouette to the backgrounds, making it hard to see animations and even facing at times without really focusing on the character. What's baffling to me is that this isn't a remote problem, there are a ton of character/skin/stage combinations that exhibit this as an issue, and it handicaps the experience so badly, and it's also something they haven't really hosed up until the 5th game. A problem like this isn't so much a flaw as it is a full blown ameatur mistake. Art Direction 101 - if you can't see silhouettes of foreground characters with no effort, then you done hosed up.

As it is, I'd rather play every map with the training background than roll the dice on whether or not I'll be able to see my character against the background.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 27, 2018

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

scary ghost dog posted:

its the only universally fair stage......?

Final destination is actually bordering on "counter pick" status. It's hardly a fair stage and definitely heavily favors certain profiles.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Coxswain Balls posted:

Do people actually mod other fighting games to do things like "fix" mechanics that they don't like? Serious question because I don't follow fighting games much and the only one that comes to mind is like SF2: Rainbow Edition.

I've only really seen modding being framed as "fixing" a game with Smash, rather than making something new and different that's also fun. I'm wondering if how Brawl turned out after Melee has something to do with that.

Smash is often framed as a game that needs to be 'fixed' because it has a ton of systems - So many systems. Games like Tekken or SF or SC have a lot of systems, but the limits of those systems are a lot easier to explore and it's a lot easier to see where the potential begins and ends. Smash has a crazy list of systems and while the individual systems generally do not offer as much compared to it's fighting game counterparts, there are so many more systems in Smash to make up the difference in competitive depth. All these systems though make it hard to plan for the game and despite the insane polish on these games, mistakes happen. Smash is way, way rougher around the edges than other fighting games. At it's best, those rough edges make for an even better game. Smash games have a ton of 'hidden' tech that was unplanned and manifests as a consequence of how these systems are glued together. Melee is famous for it, but there is a Whole List of examples.

As its worst though, rough edges can negatively affect the game. Whether that's some really questionable defensive balance choices in Smash 4, extremely questionable balancing work in Brawl, or a flawed implementation of how input is handled in Melee, the Smash games tend to expose bigger problems than others. Because of this, when fan patches are issued for these games, they often issued as 'fixes'. What constitutes a 'fix' vs a 'change' deserves a nuanced discussion in and of itself, but maybe for another day...

Finally, Smash games get a lot of mods because of a very specific reason: Nintendo still has no idea what the loving Internet is, and so they are as incompetent at crafting console security as they are at crafting an online services. Also, Dolphin is fantastic and opens the doors wide open for hacking on both Brawl and Melee. The Switch is already permanently rootable. It's relatively easy to crack and emulate Nintendo hardware and so a modding community more easily develops around it's software.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fojar38 posted:

If melee got official updates it would be an infinitely better game, maybe because then the professional scene wouldn't revolve around a handful of characters exploiting bugs

Is this what people who know nothing about melee say about melee?

I always assumed it was 'fox only, final destination' all day, but til.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DoctorWhat posted:

Reposting something I wrote elsewhere:

Thinking about that Jigfs/ICs match going around and how it's being described as "Melee at its worst". When commentators say that, what they really mean is "Melee at its least entertaining". Its least marketable, its least *profitable*. Is that what the community values?

I've talked before about how Puff hate is partially because Puff play goes against what Melee players value - aggressive, high-paced play that rewards a very particular training regimen & skillset. There's a weird machismo to Space Animals that Puff rejects. I thought that was it.

But now I'm thinking - all things are intersectional, right? Toxic machismo doesn't stand alone in Melee, it's tied all up in capitalist imperatives and monetizable branded Content. Puff is incompatible with that - or, at least, *less* compatable than the 20XX hype machine.

Melee Influencers understand implicitly, even if they don't all consciously realize, that Puff threatens Melee-as-an-industry. Hence the viral hate - the constant production of anti-Puff content to eke out some amount of $ from the situation while subtly pushing for a Puff ban.

My take? If Puff threatens the Melee Industrial Complex - if Melee can't make it back to stage against her - then good. Capitalism's insidious tendrils rot away at everything. If Melee can escape by becoming unprofitable, then thank god - its soul might yet be saved.

... which is all to say, that fighting games cannot be both a profitable spectator sport and a fair and engaging battleground.The outrage over this clip is just the latest expression of this fundamental incompatibility.

Holy poo poo this is so reductionist and wrong it makes my head spin.

For the sake of discussion, lets remove any external incentive to win a game of Melee. Prize Money, Awards, let's pretend it's not a thing. Let's imagine a playing field where the only reason to play the game is the game itself. In such a scenario, we get to ask a lot of questions in a perfect vacuum of pure integrity like, 'what are the values this community holds? What experience are we trying to curate? What does balance mean and what is the most effective way to achieve that?' These kinds of question are in service to the Big One: How can we have the most fun with our game given the tools we have. Now, if we all play exclusively for fun, but we also play to win (arguing that 'fun' is in a well-played match-up where both players are exercising the limits of their skill and toolset available), then we have to make some tough calls. Winning might mean using freeze glitches. Winning might mean pound stalling. Winning might mean running the clock.

If a player goes into a match and determines that the best chance to win against an opponent is to take a big risk to get a stock lead, and then run the clock, what does that mean for our play environment? Well, on one hand it represents the ideal of a fair fight where a player is deploying what they feel is the most optimal tactic to win. On the other hand, that's not fun to play or play against. If our goal is to have fun with the game with no externalities to think about, then the goal is obvious: Remove the undesired behavior from the pool of available options. How exactly you write and structure such a ruleset can be a complicated matter, but the goal aligns with the ideal, and so pursuing a ruleset that furthers that ideal is, well...ideal.

Long, long before Melee was a big deal, when the top players would chase at most, a couple grand for a first place win, there were rulesets. Even inside local groups, where the biggest prize was being 'best on the block', there were rulesets. Maybe even between just you and your roommates, there were rulesets. These rulesets were in service to fun my dude, not to Capitalist Imperatives™.

To suggest that a discussion about Puff and the role she plays in Melee is automatically some kind of bad thing, then I'm afraid you've lost the ability to look at the game objectively. Puff does some extremely stupid things to the game. So do other characters. Part of placing ideals in front of the community first is being able to use those ideals as a lens to view these issues. Fox's toolkit is bonkers, but is Fox fun to play and play against? Is the kit breaking the rules in ways that make the game not fun to play? The overwhelming majority of the community would say 'no' on the basis of complicated notions of what it means to be 'execution-heavy' and 'counterplay' and 'tradeoffs' and what not. Someone like Samus breaks a *ton* of rules, but is Samus a problem? Does she break the rules in ways that make the game not fun to play? The overwhelming majority of the community would say 'no', for less complicated notions of what it means to have 'party tricks' instead of a viable kit... Looking at Puff under the same lens, we can again ask: Does she break the rules in ways that make the game not fun to play? Does Puff deviate from the ideals of Melee as a game to play? Well, there is growing number of players that suggest the answer is, 'yes'. This is a massive discussion in itself and one which to my knowledge has never really happened, but the verdict in both casual and competitive play is pretty clear: Puff is not fun to play against and that 'not fun' manifests in some extreme ways.

The question from here is 'what are we going to do about it'. You talk about Capitalist Imperatives as a reason to somehow deal with the puff problem, but the reality is that Smash communities have been increasingly slow to issue any changes as popularity has grown. Stages and whole rulesets were changed overnight in competitive Melee when they were deemed not fun. Now days, making changes to the ruleset is a loving ordeal. Case in point: Final Destination is an awful neutral stage. No one with any serious cred will argue that, but somehow it's not a counterpick stage yet, largely because spreading a ruleset across the entire scene these days is both important and hard to do effectively. Using UCF through the lens of our ideals is always a good thing, yet official tournaments don't run it, due to concerns Capitalist Imperatives™ coming from Nintendo. Rule changes are becoming complicated because of the money behind Melee, not the other way around.

Puff is a problem when held up against the ideals of the game. Whether or not the community should do something about it, and what those things should be is a complex, nuanced discussion, but suggesting that doing something about Puff is only a discussion because there is money in the game is loving hilarious.

I need a different hobby...

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 3, 2019

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

King of Solomon posted:

Somehow still not as bad as Overwatch. :shrug:

This is the dumbest thing I've read all day.

Overwatch didn't do any one any favors by popularizing the literal loot box, but comparing Overwatch disfavorably to literal gacha games is beyond stupid.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

You don't have to guess, nobody here knows the names of any Battleborn characters

I actually really like the visual design of Benedict. It's very gearbox-y, but I'm glad they kind of went hard in that direction and ended up creating a character I still remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

A lot of melee players crawl up their own rear end about how fast paced their game is and obsess over spacies and a few others.

Hbox doesn't play those characters. Instead he plays Jigglypuff who is very slow and consists of camping, running away, and back air. The community loving hates him because he wants to play puff and nothing else really so they try to ban him to keep him from playing her. They try to ban the character itself. They want it gone so it can just be spacies and marth forever (sometimes starring Sheik/Peach)

This is not accurate either factually or philosophically, and quite frankly, I'm not going to get into it because after all...

Fojar38 posted:

Trolling melee fans is doing the Lord's work IMO