Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Just gonna throw this out there. It's not gonna happen because we're gonna get Simon, but...Richter Belmont.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Hell yes, welcome back Young Link

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Daisy!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I would have wanted a No Hazards alpha mode, but I guess Battlefield Mode will suffice.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

bef posted:

if they run 2 smash games next year (assuming 4 and ultimate) im wondering how many entrants are gonna be in 4 compared to 5. melee community doesn't move on to the next game but brawl smashers jumped ship to 4 and will definitely do so for 5. if anything they should just do it for ultimate

From what I've seen, Smash 4 players are very ready to move away from that game. Down the line it'll probably be Melee and Smash Ultimate, but I'd also expect a transitional period.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Macaluso posted:

It's cause Nintendo are COWARDS who have folded to SJWs and reduced her breast size. Dead or Alive was a slippery slope!!

https://twitter.com/elpheltvalentin/status/1006703479790845952

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I just realized that the ability to turn off stage hazards might make non-transforming Pokemon Stadium 2 a reality.

That's extremely exciting, that's my favorite stage in PM.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

bef posted:

its easily one of the best stages ever made and its such a simple design. feels like with stage hazards off and stage select on random every match will be :discourse:

You think turning off stage hazards will affect Lylat at all?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ROFL Octopus posted:

I really loving loathe pac-land

On the other hand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wlcbWhHdxM

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I would prefer Edelgard because A: they're probably going to want to market the new FE game like they did with Corrin anyway and B: she uses an axe.

No more swords!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Supercar Gautier posted:

The hammer makes for a couple similar moves, but a couple isn't enough.

Not even Dr. Mario, Pichu, or Roy are counted as echo fighters. An echo fighter has to be even more like the original than those characters are.

Dr. Mario and Roy have (slightly) different movesets, so of course they're not echo fighters. By comparison, Lucina is almost identical to Marth.

Can't speak to Pichu, but given they changed Pikachu's neutral air for Ultimate, it's possible he's not an echo entirely because he still has the old move.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Supercar Gautier posted:

That's exactly my point, though. Even one different move is enough for a character not to be counted as an echo. Which is why it's silly to suggest almost totally dissimilar, unrelated characters as echoes just because they have one thing in common.

The reason it comes up is because there's going to be very few (if any) more from-scratch characters, but people still want a way to fulfill their wishlist, so you get "make crash bandicoot a lucario echo".

That's fair. This discussion did make me realize you could make Smough a Dr. Mario style clone of DeDeDe though. Just replace inhale and gordo with something and you're probably good. I'm not sure I'd actually want that, but it would work.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I'm really looking forward to seeing for myself what Ike feels like in SSBU. It won't be full PM Ike, but it sounds pretty close.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

TheKingofSprings posted:

So does this eliminate Celica as a Robin echo?

E: and Chrom as an Ike echo?

Nah, I think those are good examples of characters who could be echoes (I haven't played Shadows of Valentia, but it sounds like she could do magic+swords well enough.)

Consider, though: Edelgard (axe) as an Ike echo instead.

E:

Gamerofthegame posted:

fire emblem is more popular in smash then it the actual series is, so I doubt they'll get any more contenders.

That was true prior to Awakening, but I don't think that's true anymore. Fire Emblem seems to be extremely popular right now.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Motto posted:

Nintendo has devs that are technically partners that publish 99% of their output through them, but they have ownership of the actual IPs. Pokemon is actually an exception since game freak/Pokemon company have some degree of autonomy, which is why their mobile plans proceeded before Nintendo's.

Also why Game Freak released that Tembo game on competing platforms a few years ago.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Groovelord Neato posted:

i also thought who the gently caress is lucario when they added him.

most people only heard of fire emblem after they started adding them to smash games.

It also wasn't available in the west until after that point. Hard to blame people for not knowing about a Nintendo franchise that was never released outside Japan.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah I think Marth and Roy were partly a way to gauge western interest in Fire Emblem while giving representation to a series that enjoyed some modest popularity in Japan. They went a bit overboard with them in 4, but I understand it was a reaction to the sudden newfound megapopularity of the series.

I feel like it was more an incidental thing than an overreaction. You have the returning characters (series icon, extremely popular male lead), two characters from The New One. Then it's time for DLC to come around and you market The New New One with one character and bring back a fan favorite (who was, ironically enough, popular entirely because of Smash Bros), and suddenly you have six of them.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bleck posted:

I can't wait to get another fire emblem rep that plays exactly the loving same

They don't actually play the same way, even though they're all swordies. :ssh:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

DLC Inc posted:

When you think about it only Marth/Ike really feel similar because Robin/Corrin have a bunch of goofy poo poo that isn't "uppercut, counter" like the others. If anything, Shulk has more in common with Marth and Ike. But yeah I do not want any other Fire Emblem characters before combatants like an ARMS person, Travis Touchdown (who'd probably be like Shulk with a shitload of swords), etc etc

Corrin and Robin are good examples of why they should add Fire Emblem characters with different abilities, even if that means adding random characters like Camilla or Leo.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

bef posted:

I know it's not gonna happen but if they add Ike's side b jump cancel from pm...idk what I'll do, probably be very happy

Quickdraw into grabs, up-smashes, and wavedashes was so fun.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Groovelord Neato posted:

you named two games more well known than all of fire emblem.

Deku Link would be a cool Smash character. Also Goron Link and Zora Link.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Monitor posted:

rip hector

here lies his big rear end axe

But really, I don't even know what new Fire Emblem characters they would even bring in. Unless they pull a marketing move and have some of the new Three House characters before the game even comes out. Doesn't seem like Sakurai is doing that kind of stuff though, this seems like him just nailing down and putting everything in this game. I'm sadly not getting my hopes up for any newcomers.

Any of the Fates royals, Alm, Celica, someone from Three Houses, Tharja, maybe go back to early FE with Caeda. Ephraim

E: Comedy option, Jeigan.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 17, 2018

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Wyvernil posted:

And maybe a Fire Emblem villain, though I'm not sure who the most iconic villain from that series would be.

Pick a dragon, any dragon. It would just be a dragon.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I've had so many misinputs from tap jump, I can't even imagine actively choosing to use it. It feels terrible when I forget to set a tag or something and find out tap jump is enabled.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Turtlicious posted:

I always felt like Smash 4 was very well polished but was incredibly rushed or understaffed or something, because Smash Ultimate looks amazing, and I have a feeling it's largely due to Smash Ultimate being in development possibly longer than Smash 4?

Smash 4 was excellent, it was a huge improvement over Brawl. It didn't go all the way where it needed to, but it was really, really good.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Theta Zero posted:

I like Melee but I really wish we could pull the plug on its life support. There's only so many decades I can see the same five characters and five stages make the same noises and play the same music before it gets grating. At this point I only tune in for Melee doubles because at least something different can happen in those.

That was also why I tuned out of Smash 4 streams pretty early, though. The character selection was less narrow, even though you frequently only say Bayonetta, Cloud, Mario, and Shiek usually, but god help me Town and City was the worst. It's so aesthetically bland and the music choice is just awful. K.K. Rider and The Roost are fine songs, but they're horribly unfitting and especially bad when literally every single game is just Town and City over and over. Not even doubles can save my interest being fizzled out by hearing K.K. Bubblegum for the umpteenth time.

Thank God Smash Ultimate turns off stage hazards and has a mindblowing amount of stages which could be potentially legal. Ultimate is looking more and more like a phenomenal game to stream just because of the amount of effort which went into presentation and the wider variety of things which can be present in a match such as music choice, character and stage variety, character skins, and strategies.

You mean Smashville, right? Town and City comes up a fair amount, but Smashville is the go-to stage in Smash 4.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Reiley posted:

Peak Smash 4 was Sonic working on a timeout on Duck Hunt playing Swan Lesson on stream in tournament.

I disagree. Peak Smash 4 was Bayonetta working on a timeout on Duck Hunt playing Swan Lesson on stream in tournament.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Xad posted:

Hell, even with a second analog stick the game would be more comfortable to play it.

I assumed the Circle Pad Pro thing would work with Uprising...it does not :negative: but that game was so good I played through all of it anyways. The writing is goddamn hilarious and I really hope they make another one.

I didn't even bother with it because I'm left handed. It seemed like there was no way I'd have a good time with it. :smith:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bleck posted:

I would much prefer [any bullshit anime character] to the actual Joker

Then again, after Injustice and several Arkham games, I'd also just be happy never seeing the Joker again. So y'know, it is what it is.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bleck posted:

sorry that I'm not tickled at the idea of any other extremely generic anime fools whose moveset ends up being "marth, but, like, slightly different"

We get it, you see something slightly anime and your vision goes red with rage so you can't recognize anything else.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

mabels big day posted:

MKLeo, arguably the best active smash 4 player, who was in the finals for the smash invitational, just lost to a player named zaki, the best king DeDeDe in japan.

https://clips.twitch.tv/AntediluvianPeppySnakeStrawBeary

Hell yeah, Zaki! I love seeing good low tier play. :allears:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bleck posted:

mario and captain falcon have entirely different movesets, whereas there are four characters that one could reasonably describe as "marth, but"

I'm just frazzled by the constant deluge of people requesting additional generic characters from whatever garbage JRPG was most recently released instead of any actually interesting characters from actually good games

Three characters, one of which is an echo fighter. Also JRPGs are good.

E: So good, in fact, that there have been numerous Mario JRPGs.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

John Lee posted:

Marth, Lucina, Roy, and... Duck Hunt? Seriously lost on the last one.

Also, Fire Emblem games aren't JRPGs, and they are good games, my friend. I'm sorry you had to find out while you're in the middle of a breakdown, but it's true: Fire Emblem is good.

The only thing I can think of is Ike, but Ike doesn't play anything like Marth, so yeah I dunno.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

John Lee posted:

I mean, there's a constant deluge of people requesting Hector.

Also, Hector for Smash Bros.

Hector uses an axe, totally different. :colbert:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bleck posted:

ike is just slow strong marth my dude

His moveset is wildly different. The only thing his moveset has in common with Marth is a counter.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bleck posted:

if wildly different is "two and a half of his specials are different" then okay

It's "almost his entire moveset is different"

Like seriously: his aerials, his tilts, his smash attacks, most of his specials, all of them are different. The ONLY thing he has in common with Marth is counter.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Mute City 3DS :colbert:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Over There posted:

Maybe we should get echo stages

I mean, we already have Omega Mode, and they did announce Battlefield Mode for stages in Ultimate...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

multijoe posted:

Pac Land is the only bad moving stage and they should all be brought back. Especially Rainbow Ride.

Please don't kill DeDeDe run :(