Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Monitor posted:

Mewtwo's unlock condition was leave the game running for like 20 hours
You didn't have to just leave it, it was only 20 gameplay hours (outside of menus). Plus, multiplayer counts for ever player separately. You only need like a month of playing the game casually with friends for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

jivjov posted:

has anyone unearthed anything more about Squad Smash yet? At first I thought it was like the Smash Tour/Subspace thing where you get to pick 3 or 5 characters and have one stock as each of them...but then there was the whole "Let each person claim one character" thing which made it sound more like a different tourney mode.

You can do both, by simply passing the controller when you die, or not doing that

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Xad posted:

also if you've watched this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZJuLcakn3Y

you'd believe that Shadow was ALSO created to be just like Sonic :v:

Holy poo poo this video owns

when it transitioned to an ace attorney courtroom i was losing it

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

absolutely anything posted:

yeah they're not elsewhere in smash bros but they're just from the game they're from. nobody is doing weird poo poo like making new 3d models for diskkun or the girl from famicom detective club because fuckin everything just has a ready to go 3d model these days. the closest they got was making a new rayman model for smash 4, which, whoooo carrreeeeessss
Sorry the trophies aren't catering to your very specific 3D model fetish anymore

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

so no story beyond the cinematic.
Maybe no story, but we definitely saw a cutscene introducing Galleom in the direct.

Oh by the way everyone's favorite boss whose name I had to look up is back from Brawl.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

IDONTPOST posted:

It’s basically smash tour reorganized, and that sucks rear end
Not its loving not!!! Have you even played smash tour!!

I would understand if you haven't, tbh

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Try living somewhere closer to the good side of the date line

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

dont tell anyone but Goku isnt in smash

Chichi got in too, although they spelled her name wrong

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Rolo posted:

Did Nintendo announce anything like people were expecting?

Wish I took a nap.
Lmao it's not even close to being over

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It'll be 3+ hours. 2 hours 20 minutes in now.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Raserys posted:

but why??? why??? he's not on a nintendo console???
About the same qualifications as Cloud, really. But Sega is already in on smash.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Inkling fun. Having to reload constantly feels like a completely unnecessary restriction to me right now, but the devs probably knew what they were doing and it'll turn out somewhat balanced at high skill levels.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Xad posted:

That's been the case since Smash 4, there was a patch where any kind of suicide move like that kills the user first.
They patched bowser's to do this, but not ganon. It's just as well though considering ganon was trash garbage in 4, he needed every advantage he could get. Not so much here.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm here to say that Mii Brawler and Swordfighter are way more fun to play than they have any right to be. I'm so glad you can finally take them online with strangers, there wasn't really a motivation to get good with them in smash 4 because you couldn't.

Also it's great fun to see opponents online who clearly have absolutely no clue how your character works and have probably never even touched the mii icon on the CSS

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Theta Zero posted:

I feel the same way but for Mii Gunner. She has incredible range, killing power, and speed and feels fantastic to play. I use the default face but I dress her up in that cool SWAT uniform and give her voice 6 so she at least has some semblance of a personality.

I'm predicting that if tournaments allow Mii fighters, it's probably going to be their 1111 moveset. Thankfully, Mii Gunner's 1111 moveset is essentially all of her best movies: Inkling's recovery, Robin's Arcfire, Fox's reflect, and Samus's charge shot.
I saw some people say Gunner feels like better Samus but I couldn't get into it at all, felt more like worse Samus to me. Dunno what it is, maybe I'm just trying to play Samus with a character who really isn't Samus and it ain't working, but I tried for a while and didn't have much fun. I'll have to conclude it's Not For Me.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The tryhard Mario Kart players compete for Time Trial times.

HydeLyde posted:

Are the Mii's worthless characters or are they actually useable in this iteration? I'd love to actually use a Mii fighter and dress it up and it's neat that you can customize a moveset for them. I've never seen a single one being used by anyone.
They're good fun. Not only have their movesets received a significant usability and animation bump, you can actually take them online now. Last game the biggest hurdle in anyone caring about miis was that you couldn't actually use them in the mode a lot of people want to play.

I've taken all three miis online and I quite like sword and fist. I've run into an opposing Mii... twice.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

By the way the meta knight ban in brawl lasted for not very long and was only regional when it existed anyway. It was very not agreed upon.

Not that it matters now because who plays brawl anymore

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

people in ffas need to game theory more and gang up on the sonic who just runs away and doesn't fight to try and survive to the end with all their stock
I swear nobody online knows how to look at the stock display and just attack whoever is nearest

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ariong posted:

What’s the strategy for the 9-volt and 18-volt fight? The yellow thing is the big problem. Its shots are extremely powerful, have huge knockback, they move super fast, and they’re unbelievably accurate. Getting juggled by 3 or 4 airshots in a row is something that happens to me regularly. Also, the projectiles that he shoots inexplicably bypass the Franklin Badge. So, what can I do?

Also, how do you escape from the Galaga ships that carry you off? The enemy fights do it whenever I use one, but when I get caught by one, it kills by no matter what I mash.
First off wait until you have at least a max level 3-star spirit to match the stats of the fight.

Then, equip support spirits like assist killer, first strike advantage, slow super armor, made of metal, giant, etc. Go for the sheriff asap and kill it. The rest should be relatively easy, you just need to survive the onslaught for a couple seconds.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Theta Zero posted:

Quick question. If you set a lobby to friends only but give people who are not on your friends list the ID, can they still join directly through the ID?
No

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Man Inkling has really fun moves and fun movement but I'm having a hard time with managing her ink and doing... anything with her roller. I've seen people do sick combos with her roller into other moves but I can't seem to stop the roller faster than anyone can mash out of the ground. Inkling is a tricky character to learn
Just Press B, my friend, to stop the roller. Or you can jump too, that might be faster depending on the situation.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Augus posted:

All Star Mode sucks now
It's just a retooled endless smash mode. Which is alright

Lack of real all-star does suck though

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Glagha posted:

Devil May Cry has never been on a Nintendo console, I'm pretty sure that's the line. Unless there was like some Gameboy Color side game I don't know about.
That is definitely not a line anymore.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

Is there any way they can fix the online in this game? Because almost every single match has varying degrees of lag in it, and everytime I've tried a 4 player match the lags gotten so bad the games actually frozen for a few seconds. Is this the curse of living in Australia and playing against people who predominately have shithouse internet?
If literally every match has some type of lag, it's probably you. I'm on wi-fi and I only get laggy matches once every, uh, 20 games? More often in 4p of course.

That, or it really is the curse of Australia and every other player has a poo poo connection. Dunno which is more likely.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Here's some extremely hot mii brawler tech i just discovered that's super useful and not a rare edge case at all
https://twitter.com/Amppelix/status/1092389561752305665
This happens because, specifically in the grounded version of onslaught, the second to last hit smacks the opponent down to prepare for the final hit. If the opponent is somehow not on stage, they'll apparently just die. Now to see if i can ever get this to happen again

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Yeah, considering that there seems to be just the slightest line between HAL/Post Sakurai Kirby and Smash Bros these days
If by the slightest line you mean that HAL has absolutely nothing to do with smash bros. besides continuing to allow the series to use its characters, concepts, etc.

Smash ultimate is developed by Bandai Namco in cooperation with Sora Ltd. which is basically just Sakurai.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ssbwiki can and will have exhaustive amounts of detail on even pretty obscure aspects of the games. But don't expect such for a bit in ultimate's case, as it's still new enough that basic details are getting filled out.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Coxswain Balls posted:

What the hell, is it a thing where you can go winning multiple matches without your GSP changing? Of course as soon as I lose it goes down just fine.
If your GSP doesn't change (at all. if it changes only a tiny bit everything's normal) it means the opponent disconnected and was replaced by a cpu.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh really? I've never seen that and I've got quite a large amount of quickplay hours. If one of the GSPs moved there can't have been a disconnect because in those cases the match is just discounted entirely. Dunno what's up with that then.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I divide songs by feel. I put a lot of galaxy tracks on rainbow cruise because it's got that majestic setting down.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 10, 2019

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

TwoPair posted:

I doubt the inherent hilarity of "Kirby with a loving gun" will fade until at least June
Why is this inherently hilarious to so many people

Is it an american thing? I don't get it

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

The juxtaposition of cute things and murder weapons is a funny one
Ok, i'm not that much of a robot that this missed me, but it's more of a "heh, that's funny" humor than the fervor most of twitter seems to have for kirby with a gun

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i mean what i want out of commentary is for them to highlight when someone did something cool that i might have missed or didn't know how hard it was to do, and that's still very possible even with random characters.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

the balance changes have all been good (if very carefully applied), and that's what gets you to have no faith? ok

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

as far as i can tell, the only date is "this june"

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Araxxor posted:

Nintendo games in general haven't been great with balance. More often than not, they just end up making things worse and worse as the game's lifespan goes on.
like in which game?? this is about splatoon isn't it

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ok. i'll actually agree with that. but it's exactly one example, and quite different from "more often than not things get worse" which is just a weird thing to say when they've been doing just fine on switch.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

?????

shulk is really good though? and the monado arts are all amazingly useful? have you just never seen good shulk play? or hell, not even good shulk play. barely competent shulk play should be enough to pass the bar of not dying immediately after trying to do stuff. I can do that with shulk, and I suck!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that's not an outlandish proclamation. if you've played kirby super star, it's pretty easy to see the comparison between the movesets and control feel of that game and smash bros on n64 (and consequently the whole franchise)

later 3d kirbies have leaned even heavier into feeling like a smash game. there's now dodging and blocking in kirby that works exactly like in smash for example.

E: oh and brawl is specifically mentioned because the adventure mode is literally just a kirby game with a coat of paint and player character choice

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I don't expect anything beyond the usual treatment, i.e. a few characters getting significantly changed and most being untouched save for bugfix type stuff. Maybe a universal change as well.