Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

My body is ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

This is more than I could ever have asked for.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Motto posted:

including the 1v1 damage boost?

Especially the 1v1 damage boost.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

The Bloop posted:

Here in the thread specifically for Smash I'm going to recommend that you play Generic Fighter Hitbox Rumble (free edition) to own the capitalists

mabels big day posted:

This is now the Slap City Megathread.

Also, Slap City is good.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

less laughter posted:

For the Frog the Bell Tolls

This has an assist trophy in 4 so there's a reasonable chance of it returning.

I was really surprised when I saw it in smash having only recently played it.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Zore posted:

Zss and Ivysaur are stuck with garbage tethers that don't have any other horizontal or vertical boost.

Smash 4 ZSS has a good recovery with both her down and up specials giving solid mobility, and it looks like Ivysaur will be able to swap out for Charizard mid recovery in Ultimate.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Rainuwastaken posted:

How is the pro controller, anyway? I've been making do with the joycons the system came with but I've been considering picking up the pro so I don't destroy my hands playing monster hunter in a few days.

They are good with the exception of having a not so great dpad.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Maybe don't get hit if you don't want to take 44%.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Game and Watch was pretty much the best for just goofing around in Melee. Tired of bacon and aerial keep-away games? Sure, have a random-rear end Nine Hammer, courtesy of the house. We're just making up the rules today.

I wish Melee Game & Watch didn't have such an inexplicably bad shield. I mean look at this, that's fully powered.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

ultrachrist posted:

Did anyone play the last smash on a pro controller and have thoughts about it? Any reason to use a GameCube controller other than pure nostalgia?

I'm a big fan of Smash with the Wii U Pro controller, and other than the potential to get the wrong taunt I see no reason that the Switch pro controller won't work just as well.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Relevant Tangent posted:

I know it'll never happen but it would be cool if tournaments shifted to stamina matches.

Could you go into your reasoning as to why you'd want this?
The whole game has been balanced around getting knocked out of the blast zone. Characters that are good at racking up damage would do extremely well without needing any KO options or a good recovery, and there would be a whole lot less of the interesting offstage interactions.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

I always believed in Dedede.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

F. Lobot posted:

And Slime

That's uh ... that's not slime.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

Does anyone have any experience with external capture cards? I was thinking of getting one to route the video and audio of the game to my PC so I could get the audio to come through my studio monitors because my projector doesn't have audio out. Is this feasible or is there too much lag for good gaming? I guess as a bonus I could stream it as well.

I wouldn't expect to get the sound to sync up by going down that route, not to mention the hassle of getting it set up each time you wanted to use your Switch. I think you'd be better off using one of the many available devices that splits out the audio from an HDMI input to a 3.5mm/RCA output. Something like this, there are definitely cheaper ones available but I have no idea about their quality, I'd try to check reviews if you can.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

The Bloop posted:

I have the original Smash Ultimate press kit banner (before they added the new characters) in super hi res

Is there a good version of it around in its completed state? I can't seem to find it in HUGE res

I don't know how big your current one is, but this is the best that I've been able to find.

Pteretis fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 4, 2018

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Does the stage morph thing have the potential to go through every single one?

I believe you pick the two stages you want to morph between.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

DizzyBum posted:

Neat! I wish I could read the Challonge bracket on the stream though. :v:

You can find the bracket here, https://challonge.com/fueltimate3.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I thought I had all the songs but I was at like 780? I've done 100% of the achievements and beat Classic with about half the cast so I dunno what else I do

Have you been buying the music in the shop?

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Macaluso posted:

So I up smashed as Piranha Plant when G&W dropped a bomb on to me.

I think PP ate it?? Since his up smash is a upwards bite, the bomb literally just disappeared with the bite. Can he eat other projectiles dropped onto him this way?

G&W's bomb is slightly weird in that any hit box at all will make it vanish.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Fojar38 posted:

I'm envious of your experience never playing against a good Wolf player

Reiley knows what's what.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

I am pressing z with my hands off the sticks and he's tossing it forward

You have Z mapped to grab, right?

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

yes. Is it like short hopping where you need to just barely tap it?

It's not, you can just press it. Unless you are doing it on the ground?

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Shadow225 posted:

Is there a goon Discord where I can maybe get the saltiness stomped out of me

Not seen anything like that around these parts.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Macaluso posted:

So do you just get some kind of damage/knockback multiplier when you're buried?

No, Smash 4 had a 0.7x knockback multiplier on buried characters but in Ultimate the knockback is standard. Interestingly, unlike in previous games, if you hit a buried opponent with an attack that doesn't deal enough knockback to unbury them, once they mash out they'll still have the knockback from the move. This can set up for some sneaky combos.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

I think they got the expression just right.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Parrotine posted:

What score does your GSP have to be before you unlock Elite Smash for a character?

The cutoff will continually go up as more people play. It's probably in the region of 6.3 million right now.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

That's odd, have you definitely set your rules properly and asked it to try and match with them? I wouldn't expect to come across those kind of rulesets at 4m+ otherwise. Also I don't believe your opponents can pick specific stages outside of battlefield and final destination, it's those or random all stages.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Grats on your big day!

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Katamari Democracy posted:

My views on people defending Nick game for being better than smash.

I think I missed the posts where people said that. Certainly aspects of it are better (looking at you netcode) but expecting a budget game from indie developers to match the amount of content and polish as Smash is absurd. Fun game though, I like playing as Repar, he has both speed and power.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Elvis_Maximus posted:

One thing I can't figure out though is why the combos I've seen on YouTube don't seem to work for me.

I'm pretty sure I'm just doing it too slow probably, but man it feels like the hit stun is so short compared to what I've seen from the tutorials and match footage. Smash really is a game where you've gotta practice going fast

It's worth going in to training mode and turning down the game speed, once you get a feel for landing it in slow motion you can speed it up.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

The version found here is fairly high quality. Not going to embed it because it's over 20MB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Boba Pearl posted:

List of games Ultimate is worse than, Rivals, Multiversus, NASB, Slap City, Rivals, and Melee.

You haven't even played Slap City, smh.