Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

[quote="Suspicious Cook" post=""486950147"]
There's another Frog that should be in Smash anyway.
[/quote]

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Superb Smash Brothers.

Superior Smashing Brethren.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

he's confirmed

:getout:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Majora’s mask was before my time and I never played the 3ds remake. Can someone please explain what exactly it is about skull kid that makes people want him in as a character? It seems so strange to me. I’ve never played a game with King K Rool in it either, but I recognize that he is the most recurring villain in the donkey kong series and I like his design. Why are you guys clamboring for this scarecrow looking kid that was the villain of a single game? I’m not knocking it, I just don’t get it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Um. Sorry?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

freshlybaked posted:

He's cool and a memorable part of a beloved game there's not much else too it.

Well, if they’re so cool that they’re still remembered all these years later, despite appearing in only one installment of a series with many great games, they must be something special. I should probably look into playing it then. I’ll certainly be glad to have played it if Skull Kid does make it into smash. Is the 3ds remake an improvement on the original, or at least not worse?

SeANMcBAY posted:

Skull Kid is in Ocarina of Time too but in an extremely minor part.

Really? I played OOT and I don’t remember him at all. It has been a while though. Maybe I should replay that one too.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

absolutely anything posted:

can someone explain what makes this supposedly "super" mario guy so drat super

The super mushroom.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Oh, this one's simple.

He ate an unpeeled orange once.

Also other things, but let's be honest. People are fans because of the orange.

Chrom? More like Chromch.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

less laughter posted:

Toad is a person, not an item

Tell that to Princess Peach!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Skull Kid was the first analogy for school shootings.

Skull Kid is an abused child, who abuses those he is supposed to take care of, emotionally manipulative, and he ends up killing himself, his school, his friends, and his family because he's lashing out through a malaise of pathetic, miserable, depression.

Some people just want to be represented in smash.

Hello, internet! Welcome to Game Theory!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

you think you gon wanna do smash after poo poo like this:

i don't think so buddy.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

https://youtu.be/2oT4bnjlDNE

ESIT: That stitched together version of GG was taken down due to a copyright claim by “Rev Link.” Who tf is rev link?

Ariong fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 24, 2018

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Zuzie posted:

Another "character" who should be a stage: Hades from Kid Icarus Uprising. I remember that there was an entire level where you ended up in his stomach and had to fight a hoards of underworld monsters that he ate.

I was going to make a joke about how this would be great because this game doesn’t yet have enough vore in it, but then I realized that’s legit not true. This game already has vore by the score.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Now I’ll show you!!!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

Solid Snake
Sonic the Hedgehog
Mega Man
Pac-Man
Ryu
Cloud Strife
Bayonetta
Simon Belmont
Rabbid

As if!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Wanted Characters:
The Prince of All Cosmos
Doom Slayer
Banjo & Kazooie

Wanted Echoes:
Liquid Snake (Snake)
Doc Louis (Little Mac)
Ken (Ryu)

There are none who know with greater clarity than I the sublime despair of having an impossible dream.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 26, 2018

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Vanrushal posted:

Didn't one of the directs say that everyone would be unlocked from the get-go?

No, in fact I remember a direct saying that only the original 8 fighters would be unlocked at first.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I like unlocking characters, but they should probably add a way to fast forward that process for people who just want to buy the game and smash with their friends. Hey, I have an idea. When was the last time you played a game with a cheat code in it? This game should have a cheat code to unlock all characters.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

absolutely anything posted:

alright character unlock likers. debate me

And don’t even THINK about using any... logical fallacies...

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Whoever made that chart really should have taken the time to align the different generations with different rows. It looks terrible. Also, it's not even complete. Where tf is Leo Luster?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I want whetever character is revealed in the next direct to be a surprise to bad I’m literally unbookmarking this thread. Later haters.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I went back to read the thread reactions to today’s direct. First of all: someone please explain what “Grinch Leak” and “Box Theory” are.

Second: holy poo poo you people are salty. You’d think every new character they added came with a certificate saying that {skull kid/isaac/etc.} was specifically cut from the roster to make room for them.

Trophies being removed is a bummer, but I get it. Now that seeing the characters in 3D is no longer a novelty, they aren’t really worth the effort.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Your Computer posted:

The grinch leak was a fake leak that a lot of people hyped themselves up to insane heights about, going so far as creating communities sharing conspiracy theories and lies to convince themselves that it was real

it wasn't

flatluigi posted:

there was an extremely convincing leak over the last few weeks (like, 'either this is real or someone spent a ridiculous amount of time photoshopping this together covering tiny details nobody would notice' convincing) that also had as part of it a small background shot of a render for the grinch movie that people thought hadn't been released before (meaning that the leaker was someone who plausibly had access to a bunch of prerelease renders of things like the smash banner). grinch leak had a bunch of plausible characters including some people really wanted to the point where people thought it was a done deal (it wasn't)

box theory was based off of a prerelease box render only having room for two more characters, plus specifically some weirdness with character sorting that implied the characters would specifically be an echo fighter (ken) and a pokemon character (incineroar). people thought it was plausible but weren't very excited about it, given that neither character was very exciting and that the final smash direct 'must' need something even more exciting than the castlevania reveal (which, well, it didn't)

Just looked up the image in question. I guess I can see how someone would fall for that? I dunno if I would call it “very convincing.” I mean, why is the picture of the box so lovely? Within the fiction of the cover story, the person could easily have taken a close-up shot of the side of the box. But nope, instead it’s a super low-quality phone pic just like every other fake-rear end leak in history, go figure.

Aaaaaanyway, I’m fairly pumped about Spirits mode. I am excited to see what the came up with for the gimmick fights (the Lakitu and Hal Emmerich ones were genius) and if there’s even one more cutscene like the one we saw I’m all over it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

so who else wants to come up with ideas for spirit battles?

Here's mine:

Shadow - Sonic recolor with an infinite use super scope accompanied by a giant sized, red-alt colorscheme King K. Rool. Set on Lylat Cruise.

Dr. Wily - Ludwig von Koopa. I don’t know enough aboit Wily or Ludwig to say what gameplay changes there would be, but that’s a lock.

King Hippo - Pink (or as close as possible) King K Rool. Extreme preference for whichever attack uses the boxing gloves and grabs. Gets stronger with food. (Lots of tropical foods spawn during the fight. Bananas, coconuts, etc.)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Anybody who thinks Shadow is good but Incineroar is bad is not thinking straight. Either they’re both good or they’re both bad. Pick one!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I thought it was BS that the light beam was able to catch up with Sonic, but then I saw that he was going slow to let Pikachu catch up with him, presumably so he could then grab it and run. Good old Sonic.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Why do people want Shadow in the game anyway? I asked this question about Skull Kid a while ago and the consensus was that his game was really good and a classic. I was under the inpression that shadow’s game was dogshit. Am I wrong?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Cool?! Why? Because he says hell and piss? No swears in my video game, thanks.

Also if Shadow were a Sonic echo then he wouldn’t use guns, and that’s no Shadow at all.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I don’t know how to link directly to a reddit-hosted video but look at this. This was posted 9 hours ago, which means it must have been made in like 5.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9tcbgp/super_smash_bros_infinity_war/

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Sea Lily posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25697W2jgZI&t=2395s

please watch the crowd at the nintendo store cheer and chant for kirby, our hero, who will save us all. the protagonist of smash bros

The guy who saw the spirit of the dragon quest slime and immediately yelled “hey look, it’s venom!” Is funnier than anyone here.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

https://youtu.be/8RXX_mV-MVg

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Calling 14-year olds sexy is something pedophiles do

Pharohman777 posted:

Um, does it tho?

I like discussions about why certain games are problematic and how they can be made better not only because they are important and interesting, but also because they bring people like this out of the woodwork.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Sudden Javelin posted:

Ryu's classic is basically looking like Street Fighter 2 right? Hopefully his bonus round is the Smash equivalent of destroying a car.

Stamina battle against an immobile, non attacking ROB. Either that or Bowser Jr.

EDIT: Maybe with a very short time limit, so you have to deal a lot of damage quickly.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a helluva r/relationships saga in there

My [57M] ex-BF [62M] turned most of my robots evil. What should I do?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

y'all do realize the creators of the commercial could make the models do whatever they wanted right

Are you implying that they intentionally made it to sync up with Don't Stop Me Now?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I'm not even going to get any friends until after release.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Please someone post that tweet with the king dedede footage and that Moto Moto song. I cannot find it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Can someone explain to me, or link me a video or article that explains, the difference between tilt attacks and smash attacks? I don’t understand what makes them different or how to pull either of them off reliably. Like, how do you tell by looking at an attack whether it is a tilt or smash attack.

EDIT: In fact, something that gives a rundown of ALL the different moves you have wpuld be extremely helpful. Also, what do you call the moves that you do with the right stick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

American McGay posted:

Actually it's fine you weird freak.

Holy poo poo!

Anyway as someone who hasn’t really played any smash in the decade since brawl was released, I have to agree with Succinct and Punchy. There’s WAY too many characters to trial-and-error playtest to figure out which ones can do which things. For example, for any given character, which one of their moves can meteor smash, if any? That question alone has over 70 answers.