Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I’m one of the idiots who wanted Ridley to be playable, but to be honest, the most exciting thing about his reveal was “RIDLEY HITS THE BIG TIME”. Also, him just murdering Mega Man and Mario in cold blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
THE FIGHT SO NICE THEY DID IT THRICE

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I was hoping for one stock vs one stock, but that was fun.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Still excited for Ridley, even if he gets bodied easily.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

TheLoneStar posted:

And I gotta say, between Ridley literally murdering Mario and Mega Man and Luigi getting his soul removed by a realistic-looking Grim Reaper, these previews are so weird but so drat awesome.
Who do you guys think is going to job next to make the new guys look good?

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

what are banjos odds
He's owned by Microsoft. I think him and Kazooie are a step too far, even for this game.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Now that I think about it, isn't Dragon Quest supposed to be massively, explosively popular in Japan? As in, "neck-and-neck with Final Fantasy" popular? Who do you think would be the most likely playable character from that series?

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Wyvernil posted:

Not sure who the most iconic Fire Emblem villain would be. Maybe a Kid Icarus villain like Medusa or Hades would work.
I think the most iconic Fire Emblem villain is Medeus, but he seems more like a boss character.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

cool direct until that racist banned goon got what he wanted
By this logic, a lot of adds were bad because at least one toxic rear end in a top hat wanted them.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

i'm not following
Peace Walker had a crossover with Monster Hunter.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Sudden Javelin posted:

It is crazy to think "Cloud Strife is in Smash Bros" is old boring news
I remember going nuts when Sonic was announced. He practically looks like a first-party character now.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

Sandbag with tiny Master and Crazy Hands to help him fight.
The Final Smash is Master Core bursting out of Sandbag and laying waste to the other fighters.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

less laughter posted:

They already brought Roy back in SSB4
They’ve also brought Jigglypuff back for every game in the series.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
nvm

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
How many newcomers do you think we'll get in total? All I'm confident about is that we won't be getting beyond a single-digit number of unique newcomers, and the number of Echo Fighters will be a bit more or less than that.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I'm betting on about 8 newcomers and something like 24-30 echo fighters.
That is a ridiculous amount of Echoes. There’s obviously room for more Echoes than uniques, but I’m not sure they’ll go so hard on them.

Out of everyone you listed, I think Tiki and the Black Knight are the most likely to get in. Tiki is one of the few characters to make three playable appearances and is rather popular in her own right, while the Black Knight is one of the most popular villains in the series, though I believe they’d sooner add Hardin before him.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Some characters represent their games as a whole more than themselves.
One of my pipe dreams is a playable Geno referencing all the Mario RPGs in addition to his own game, but I don't know how that would work.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

I've heard he's not as popular with the Japanese fanbase
How do FE7 characters fare over in Japan? To the West, it was the very first game we got, but to them, it was probably just another in the series.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Fire Emblem's most iconic villain is literally already playable in smash
Hardin is nowhere to be seen in Ultimate? :confused:

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
There's only room for one playable indie character in Smash: Steve? from Minecraft

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Theta Zero posted:

Interpret this as you like.
My interpretation of this is "a lesser Gundramon"

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Pops Mgee posted:

Skull Kid is cool and good, but he’s not Groose or Sidon so he loses a bunch of points there.
Hyrule Warriors Impa for Smash

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Dizz posted:

Why get Kunio Kun when you can get the upgraded version, Kiryu Kazama?
Kiryu is never going to get into a fighting game. Jury’s out on whether he’ll make it into Smash, though.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtZ-bzg_oqw

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Moriatti posted:

Non-video game characters allowed in Smash:

- Popeye

Thank you for listening.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

Jack Frost would own but what the people really want is mara
If Jack gets in, what should his alternate costume be? Raiho? Frost Ace? Demonee-ho?

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Black Frost

: I
Black Frost works fine as a color swap with a few details changed. I’d like a more extensive model change in there somewhere.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Chalk me up as pumped for unlocks, though they've covered so many bases already that I'm sure there's gonna be a quick and easy option for those who aren't into that.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

KungFu Grip posted:

I want Lu Bu in Smash Bros for Koei representation.
Lu Bu would be phenomenal, but let's be real, they'd put in Zhao Yun before anybody else.

Seriously speaking, Ryu Hayabusa would be a neat addition to the roster, though I haven't seen much demand for him.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Waffleopolis posted:

I want Doom Marine for Smash. I just wanna beat up people while BFG Division is playing. :(
If Doomguy does get in, they probably won't call him Doomguy, and that makes me sad.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Pretty sure we won’t be seeing Dr. Eggman as a playable character, but it’d be pretty sweet. Obviously, he’d fight in a mech, but what weapons would they give him?

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

I bet Eggman will be a boss in whatever mode you can fight Rathalos and Dracula in.
It’d be cool if him and Wily teamed up again.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

He is, I never thought about it but yeah, I guess they all predate every Mario game. Pretty dope.
It’s neat that the Mario prequel series has a species of dinosaur as the protagonists.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

Rabbids are going to be the Fighting Mii Team equivalent this time
One of my Smash pipe dreams is something like the Fighting Polygon Team, but for everyone who's here. That's too much effort for generic enemies, but I would appreciate the work put into them.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
It'd be a crying shame if any other character that didn't originate in video games got in before James Bond, as played by Pierce Brosnan.

As for the unexpected retro character, I'm guessing it'll be the Excitebike rider.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Well maybe he can be an implied character "Agent Guy" skin for proper video game character Joanna Dark
I mean, if it worked for the Motion Sensor Bomb...

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
We got some new music! This time, it's the fortress boss theme from SMB3, done by Akihiro Honda, a Metal Gear composer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=64&v=tBBt7D-1wnw

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Wolverine Claws His Way In!

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Isabelle is revealed and the trailer just shows her helping the other fighters with their daily routines. The true depths of her power are not shown until the game is released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I'll accept ugly gross Incineroar if the reveal is then followed by the Isabelle reveal with her jumping up behind him and smacking his head really hard with a book
A fitting punishment for decapitating the Villager with a lariat.