Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Honestly they should just give all those characters swords and make them Echos of the FE cast.

M. Chief with that cyber sword.
Sora and the Key thing.
Goku and his stick.
Chrono and his blade.
Doomguy and a shotgun he swings around. Just like the Marth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Great Gonzales posted:

Add Gordon Freeman to Super Smash Brothers.

He, too, can use his crow-bar and be a FE Echo. Honestly, it's a good template and swords/sticks are everywhere in media. Can't have too many sword users.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

If you're able to combine powers like Crystal Shards than sure, if not then it's something that still needs to happen

Had it been like Crystal Shards I would've bought it without a doubt. That game was worth it just for the creativity of the combinations.

Star Allies just adds elemental effects to your attacks, or at least that's what the demo showed, and it was really disappointing. I still want to play it but I want to get it for a cheap price, preferably as used physical media.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

DrPaper posted:

I just hope 8 player Smash is available online.........

Splatoon's 8 people at time and MK has a bunch. Maybe they can pull it off? I have no idea how or why it would or wouldn't work.

Evil Eagle posted:

Well crystal shards had 7 copy abilities with one move each while Star Allies has 28 copy abilities with tons of moves each. I don't think it is reasonable to expect a whole new moveset for every single combination of 28 different powers.

Bongo Bill posted:

All of his games follow Super Star in style, in that each copy ability has a large number of moves to complement the higher focus on combat.

I know I should appreciate the diversity of the move set, but when every enemy dies after a hit or two, you tend to find one that works well and stick with it. This is why even if Crystal shards had one move per power, the diversity of those single moves was more interesting to me than a bunch samey ones.

And with only 7 moves it ended up having 50+ pretty different powers due to the combos. And they were mostly pretty interesting. It's a game I wouldn't mind a remake of.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I don't know why but I find this pretty funny. They really went out of their way to gently caress around with those samples. Only 4 minutes in and it's compelling.
I"m enjoying trying to guess the character by deformed voice only.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm fine not knowing things even game modes. Which is why I haven't really been following. What's box theory?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ephraim is also dull as a rock, the only thing interesting about him is that he wields a spear.

What we need is Hector, who could easily be an Echo of Ike with a different B-Up.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Fair enough. In that case let the rock-man join.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I realize it's not at all the same style but classiest Ganondorf remains WW's.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

TheLoneStar posted:

I'm still crossing my fingers that Sakurai will pull another miracle and top Cloud in Smash crazy. In terms of third-party characters, naturally.

What character would generate that much excitement? Chrono and his friends aren't quite the same caliber of popularity. Only one I can think of would be something like Goku, but that seems just unlikely as he's not an OG game character.

I suppose Master Chief? If we consider him to be the poster boy for Xbox in the way FF was for Sony, and Halo always seemed pretty popular.

Yeah I think only MC would generate that much hype and even then.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

DrManiac posted:

I know spirit are supposed to replace the trophies but they could have at least kept the text description saying something about each character and what game it’s from.

Very true.

I'm making steady progress through all modes and probably have close to 20 unlocks? I'm not grinding or anything just enjoying the game as I can. Has anyone unlocked a character in WoL that they actually like? I'm glad we get Kirby and Mario early on, as they're pretty reliable, but they're not my favorites. I've been using Pikachu since I've got him. I'm not looking Young Link (the true Link) and Ness.

Classic mode is super fun though. I really like how it's all thematic.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Any advice for the Ho-Oh/Charizard spirit? It's way too strong, and maybe the answer is just come back to it. Everything else I've beaten without too much trouble up to here. First one I'm properly stuck on. I also can't beat the Giga Bowser in that area, but I feel like it'll get it in time.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

What difficulty are people doing WoL on? I started on normal. Is it possible to change it on a whim? It's not above me to drop it to easy for some of these fights, but I wouldn't want to play the whole game like that.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

What's in the new game +?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Got Ho-Oh, used Kirby to play Keep-Away and rocked it when I was about to get hit. The level took care of the rest like everyone else said. Got Bowser thanks to Fox. It's really nice how there's always different places to go. If you get stuck try another avenue.

I know a lot of people criticized the map but I really like it. It reminds me of this:

in the best way possible and I think it fits the idea that the characters are nothing more than toys. Generally speaking I like WoL and unlocking spirits reminds me of the events in Melee.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

You can choose to use them before a fight if I'm not mistaken.

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

I'm really having a blast with Ice Climbers. I use them in the gate every time i miss an unlock and they have yet to let me down. The brown and white costume is really cute :3: plus they feel faster and harder hitting to me. Feels like their range is shorter and they're lighter to balance it out, but I'm having a good time with them. I'm glad they're back, was never crazy about them but they feel really good this time around.

Yoshi, who used to be my main, feels so different from his melee&brawl incarnation that i can tell I'm gonna need to do a lot of reprogramming. Ness feels like a return to form, and i really love the added SNES effects to his pay psy moves. Would love a Pauline echo of Lucas if I'm being honest.

The Climbers were one of the first I lost a challenger to! I'm a bit weirded out by Yohsi and Bowser's posture. But it's ok. I'm so happy about Ness being good again. My roster is turning embarrassingly out to be a Little Boys Club with Ness, Young Link, Lucas, and the Trainer. If I end up using Villager and Inkling that'll turn out to be all of them I think (I'm not counting Toon Link.)

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Jolarix posted:

Like a regular WoL fight? How so? Or is it just for a custom smash?

I want to say the screen where you choose your spirit but only on the spirit board.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Nanigans posted:

I’m sure in the thousand+ posts someone has mentioned this, but a super easy way to trivialize a really tough particular green spirit Yarn Yoshi battle is to use Jigglypuff and just fly to the right most cloud and wait for them all to die.

That one had me stumped for a while.

I used Kirby to great effect as well.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

A few questions that I know have been asked but this thread moves too fast to find.

Where are my preferred controls actually used? I took off the directional jump so that it's dependent only on the buttons, and I made the r stick do tilts instead of smashes but that has yet to be the case in either classic or WoL. Does it only work in Smash?

Also what were the strategies for 9/18 volt and wily? Would assist killer help with the former at least?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I know you're supposed keep looking for other spirits or level up but it's actually hard to remember what you're missing if you're not keeping track. Plus the map is legit huge and traveling isn't quite as fast as you'd like.

Hence why I've been banging my head against the volts and Wiley as I'm still missing several of the indicated powers and I don't want to range too far from them.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

And why not monster Hunter? I don't play the games but they have a boss out of it. Who would it be, one of their cat things?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

KungFu Grip posted:

what's the trick for beating The Boss

I swallowed her with Kirby, jumped off and flew away when her recovery didn't allow her to come up. Took me 3 tries. Legitimate? Probably not. I feel I could've done it normally had I waited some. The Metal Giant Combo is insanely good and has gotten me through everyone, first as Bowser, and now as Little Mac.

The only legit hard fight was Wiley, everyone else fell pretty easily, or required some actual fighting talent to beat. Don't forget your Sphere grid. Once it starts to fill up you become pretty unstoppable depending where you go. Also get your hands on an Ace or Legend spirit of each type and Max them with snacks. Use them for the hard fights so you can at least match and defend the damage output of the opponent.

WoL Question:

I know there's several endings, but does getting one lock you out of the others? I finally broke the shield, but I've a bunch to do, should I try Galeem now?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Can all throws kill? I know ness's back throw is a killer, what are the others?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Theta Zero posted:

There's too many to list with too much variation depending on character, placement, and percentage. You're going to have to be more specific.

I suppose I'm just curious about low percentage killer throws. If it's too much info no worries.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So, I just beat world of light.

I imagine the 99.67% means I have to beat the dark and light ending, having gone neutral first? If not I'm in no mood to check out those maps just yet. .

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 19, 2018

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cool thanks. I'll get to it later.

Fun mode. I'll admit I cheesed most of the game with Metal Mac (no longer Little as I made him a giant too).

Enhanceable spirits are the best. It's cool to see what they become. I played the with Soma Cruz but I don't remember the relationship there.

Now I just have over half the Classic Modes to do, and the Challenges, and Spirits to collect and Songs to unlock. And I haven't even tried Online yet!

I love this bursting to the seams game.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It's always bothered me that Lucas is better than Ness, but I do love them both. That Flash and Freeze now travel through platforms is a god-send. Especially nice to use in Magicant, and just bombard the poo poo out of everyone from below. One a couple of tough Spirit Battles that.

I'm closing in 100% Classic Mode, can't wait to try other things, and honestly, I'm looking forward to making some good Multiplayer options.

Someone mentioned making a 64 and Melee version of the game in-game. Anywhere to easily find the information that includes the necessary characters, items, and levels? I don't think I'd make one for Brawl or 4, far less attached to those two.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Any advice for the "Don't die in the final battle" of WoL challenge? I want to start a new-game + but there's no way I'll be getting to the end-game any time soon in that one, and I'm having trouble dealing with the two guys at once.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I am dying here. Maps look all ckeared, got all endings, im at 99.51%

You have to do ALL the endings. It's not hard and if you got one you should easily get the others.

theSpokeyDokey posted:

How are you all unlocking the Legendary Spirits? I'm getting my rear end handed to me by those fights and my closest Spirit maxed out only gets me to like 10-11K power and all the Legendary fights are like 13K.

Find 3/4 enhanceable spirits, preferably one of each type including neutral. Enhance them and then max them out, even better if they're already legend class, but Ace is fine and Advanced will do in a pinch. These tend to be the strongest ones. After that you should be on par with the stronger spirits.

As for cheesing, there are many options. Giant and Metal is my favorite combo, but a triple-fist Mac is a lot of fun as one punch does nearly 40% or so. The one strategy I remember that still makes me laugh was choosing Kirby against the Boss, swallowing her and jumping off the ledge. I just had to outlive her then. On Magicant, it's fun to perch Ness on the bottom platform and PK flash through the bottom. Got a couple of spirits that were based there that way.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Thank you both. That sounds like a decent plan.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Eiba posted:

Like the other guy said, no milestone, just make sure you have 876. You probably have it if you did all the challenges and the shop's not showing any new music.

For anyone else looking to get all the music, I just kept looking at the shops every now and then, or I did a classic run through, which usually gets you a music track, until I stopped getting new music. That was about 874 for me (I had already done World of Light). The rest are unlocked by challenges.

The ones I didn't just get over the course of playing the game were get 7000-some-odd score as Pac Man with his final smash in vs mode, kill a level 9 cpu with Robin's green jab combo in vs mode, clear Snake's classic at level 5 with no continues, and clear classic mode as Megaman (I just hadn't gotten to Megaman yet). Otherwise I had them all just by doing random classic modes and finishing World of Light. And checking the shop every now and then, of course.

Any full list of challenges that award music so I can beeline those? I have some 40 tracks to go, but I definitely want to get it sorted out before more stuff is added in.

I also need 250 or so spirit orbs to max the skill tree, but New Game+ has been very slow going. Even playing with a weak Spirit, and I"m hardly getting any orbs. I get ore through the shops. This one is going to take a while. Fortunately, the game is mega-fun!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Finally on the last row for classic mode and there's only about 10 songs to go! I also cleared the Challenge sheets for Adventure, Spirit, Spirit Board, and Options or whatever the last page was. Only have K Rools challenge to clear for Classic mode and then I'll only have 3 pages to go.

It may seem like I'm rushing things but I'm just playing this amazing game a lot. I've yet to even customize things! Can't wait to spend hours doing just that.

jivjov posted:

Trying to get the Final Battle With No Deaths challenge, is it better to Focus either Galeem or Dharkon down and then get the other? Or try to spread damage evenly to take them both out around the same time? The survivor if I try the first strategy seems to gain some new moves, but I can't tell if that's because they're the only one left or just a consequence of the fight progressing

I suppose both because when you paralyze one the other focuses a strong attack on them and knocks out a nice chunk of health. That said focus on a heavy character and use the auto-heal. I did it no problem with that advice.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Spent some time making Mii's last night. I made Samus with the charger and missiles; I also have her bombs and the Bup labeled jet something. You can't see it but her hair is green. Not too sure about the latter two.

Made a brawler Skull Kid with a black face and lips styled to look like a beak, you can't see it anyways. Wasn't sure what specials to give him. Went with 1331. Shot put, suplex, uppercut, and head plunge. The first is the moon and the latter were supposed to represent the mad chaotic style of his Majora form. The last one works well, not too satisfied with the Bup.

Also made the Black Knight from FE but it's nothing special. No ranged attacks wasn't sure if I should give him the counter. Decided against it.

The French Army posted:

Samus, actually. My main beef is not so much with the original reflector havers like Fox and Falco. It's guys like Lucas/Ness, ROB, K Rool those people. Lucas/Ness's reflector is his forward smash, would you call that an unsafe move?

For the record I already do try to bait reflector havers into using them. It works great against DeDeDe and K Rool.

Ness could reflect things from Day 1, the timing was just always rougher. Also even if Samus is great at range she's a great melee fighter too. She hits like a truck. I don't play her often but when I do it's always a pleasant surprise.

What's the difference between her and Dark Samus? I don't like all the floatiness in the latter.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Thanks. It would seem that D. Samus is almost better? But I like the original one best. Never got used to ZSS, also I hate her heel boots but that's just aesthetics.

I'm not even that old, but I'll never get used to the video/audio format of most video game information these days. Give me a good piece of text any day. People's voices aren't always suited to presentation and besides I'm pretty sure I could read whatever he said several times faster. Oh well.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Her up tilt alone is awesomely strong and useful. Honestly, I really like her moves because they are all pretty distinct and serve different purposes. Her down tilt isn't necessarily fast, but it packs a punch, unlike her down smash which feels like it comes out faster but doesn't quite hit as hard. Her side tilt is the speed the smash lacks.

Not just with Samus but with everyone I need to learn to use the B-Up's aggressively. I only really use them for recovery because of the lag they offer. I'll pepper people with the PK Thunders but that's really the only one.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

But when it works it is OH so gratifying.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Finally got all the songs! How do you know if you have all the mii outfits? This is less important. I've got Skull Kid and another Samus, Mii Gunner makes for a nice Samus, it's all I really needed.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

What moves do you guys have set for the Miis?

Right now I have 3122 for gunner, 3133 for sword, and 2221 for brawler. Not sure if any of this is glaringly weak or not

I've made five mii fighters so far.

My brawler uses 3223. Brawler Skull Kid got 1321.
Sword Users are Black Knight and Yiga Clan member with 3223 and 2311 respectively.
I have a Samus gunner that just does what you'd expect her to do.

The in-game mii's I left as 1111.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Theta Zero posted:

For Mii Swordfighter, the default tornado projectile is a true combo into their up special that's just the copied up special from Link, and it kills most characters at 70%.

If that was the case then they should've made it the default 1111. :colbert:

Unless they're organized alphabetically though I don't think they are are they?

Snake was definitely the first character I hit a wall with. He's genuinely very unique and doesn't play like other characters because his smash attacks are so weird, and you're supposed to get way more mileage out of his tilts. He is super cool though.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

I don't like Delfino style tour stages, they have no real identity; I'd much prefer skyloft/Delfino/new Donk if they were just one consistent area. Same with stages that are just battlefield-style floating platforms, they're pretty uninteresting. I appreciate stages with a distinct geometry like Great Bay. They're more interesting and if you don't like one there's 99 others plus battlefield/omega

I wish we could choose for the traveling stages to just stay in one part and have that one part be the whole match, like they did in Spirit mode. It was cool to see how many cool parts made up the Resort Level, but then I realized you'll never really stick in one place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So I'm organizing the frequency of songs per stage in an on-going exercise. If I put slider all the way to the left on rarely, with no blue showing, is it truly rarely or is it actually never? I don't think there's a song yet I'd NEVER want to play, hearing it once in a blue moon could even be a pleasant surprise.