Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ridley will be in this game.

As just some boss enemy.
Not even special.

That's my prediction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Chill Penguin posted:

I thought that thing was from Kirby

No, that's the Warp Star. The Launch Star is from Super Mario Galaxy. Remember that it serves not only as an item now, but also as Rosalina's Up-B.

ItBreathes posted:

Django from Boktai for Smash! Also, maybe a Boktai for the Switch while we're at it.

Isn't that a Konami franchise? And dead for ages?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I just like playing characters that punch really well, extra points if they move really fast too. Started with Pikachu (in 64, where it was hilariously broken), then moved to Captain Falcon, with some Wolf during his short-lived existence, and then the Mii Brawler. Oh, and Meta Knight during Brawl when I didn't really feel like playing and just felt like button-mashing a victory.

In SSB4 I started getting into characters that aren't that fast but hit really hard though, like Bowser, Ganondorf and Ike.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Kins posted:

There was a non-zero amount of discussion about removing Roy and Marth from the international release of Melee, but Nintendo of America apparently argued that they were fun enough to keep. Probably a good call, considering how well those games have sold since...

In a world where that was a no, Fire Emblem would now be a dead franchise because it was unjustly denied the chance to appeal to an international market. Nintendo would not have the gacha cash cow that is Fire Emblem Heroes. Ike wouldn't be playable in Smash.

It's a really, really bad world.

DLC Inc posted:

When you think about it only Marth/Ike really feel similar because Robin/Corrin have a bunch of goofy poo poo that isn't "uppercut, counter" like the others. If anything, Shulk has more in common with Marth and Ike. But yeah I do not want any other Fire Emblem characters before combatants like an ARMS person, Travis Touchdown (who'd probably be like Shulk with a shitload of swords), etc etc

Marth and Ike don't feel even remotely similar, what the gently caress?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

RuBisCO posted:

The biggest tragedy is that Fire Emblem has the potential for a ton of characters with more unique looks and playstyles but they instead went for Blue Haired Sword Lord a bunch.

Axe/Lance ladies would be rad as heck.

We may get Edelgard from Three Houses, that'd give us an axe lady. I definitely want something other than swords, but I understand that main lords get in and those tend to use swords. At least Robin brought in some magic.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

jivjov posted:

I'm surprised they didn't include that one red haired axe lady who's the designated Fire Emblem crossover character

Anna has used more than axes, and has never had a leading role so I see her at best as an Assist Trophy in Smash. I wouldn't complain though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

With Metroid finally getting a third playable character, I do think Donkey Kong is next on the list of deserving a new character. For the franchise that birthed Nintendo's mascot, it has way too little representation in this ode to Nintendo's history.

Whether this representation comes as Dixie, Cranky or Funky, I don't care, all three are very valid choices, but I do think at least one should get in. And most definitely not K. Rool.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Are the results of the SSB4 Fighter Ballot available anywhere? My Googling is yielding no decent results and I can't YouTube at work. :/ Curious to see who the most requested characters were.

They aren't, only Sakurai and his team know. The internet has already decided what those results must clearly be though, despite having no evidence whatsoever beyond their own closed-off communities that, of course, represent the world as a whole.

The only thing we know is that Bayonetta was #1 in Europe and heavily voted everywhere else, didn't hit #1 worldwide but whatever was above her was completely impossible to add, so I'm going to say Goku.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mabels big day posted:

We are all going to die before another smash game comes out.

I'm fine with that so long as Ultimate gets constant updates so I always have something new to play with even if it isn't a full game. The next generation can enjoy what comes next from Sakurai, by that point likely a baby due to aging backwards.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

El Burbo posted:

There won't be a next smash game

That's why this one is called Ultimate

Digimon taught me that Ultimate is just another level and there's more above (either sub or dub) so I fully believe we'll get Super Smash Bros. Mega/Dairantou Smash Brothers Super Ultimate eventually.

Oxyclean posted:

but in Japan the subtitle is "Special"

I do think they're aiming for this one to be very "end of an era" though.

The last game Sakurai will work on as a human being, and when it's released he'll finally show his true masterpiece, a robotic body whose hands can never fail and whose work can never be stopped by human limits or Japanese working law, and transfer his brain to it in a Nintendo Direct.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rainuwastaken posted:

Can someone please explain to me why people like Waluigi

no seriously I don't understand, help

Brawl in the Family, Psycho Waluigi, memes. Basically, lots of things that are in no way connected to Nintendo's use of the character.

...Okay, maybe one thing connected to Nintendo's use of the character.
https://i.makeagif.com/media/5-22-2015/DudXpD.mp4

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Smoking Crow posted:

I hope there aren't too more characters because it's really hard to balance all that. We'll have 100 char and 4 in top 8 like USF4 and KOF14

But that's been the case in every game, it's not like SSB64 was a wonder of balance and it had a whole 12 characters.

I'm fine with only a couple more characters, and honestly I'd be a bit underwhelmed if this was it. Mostly because we have months between the game's release and now, not having any characters to show would be the most hype-killing thing short of a delay.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Bleck posted:

I would actually so down with playable Dante

Add Knuckles too, let me have the full meme.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MechaSeinfeld posted:

smtv is switch exclusive and will probably be out sometime in the next 12 months so Jack Frost will be in smash; joining shovel knight

I'd be very, very happy with Jack Frost in Smash. SMT has had a long history with Nintendo that continues to this day so it wouldn't be out of place at all, to the point that it had a crossover with one of Nintendo's big franchises (Fire Emblem), and Jack Frost is very good in general.

Give me Jack Frost, Sakurai.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

sharrrk posted:

no more 3rd party characters.

I'm fine with 3rd party characters so long as they have an actual connection with Nintendo. I dislike the idea of using characters that don't, and even as a big FF fan I still don't think Cloud was the right choice simply because FFVII is not a Nintendo game, even if he has appeared in Nintendo consoles thanks to spinoffs of both Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts.

I'd also like more proper Nintendo representation though. Waluigi meme aside, there's a few important characters that could be added, like Bandana Waddle Dee, Marx, Dixie, Cranky, Funky, probably a million others from franchises that are completely or partly owned by Nintendo and that don't have enough representation or could add very fun new elements to the game, or hell, are just particularly lovable characters in general.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I guess Sakurai considers Cloud to be as close to the poster child of FF as you can get. I suppose there's Warrior of Light but that doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

I get that. Cloud is definitely FF's best known anime swordsman and the right choice from that angle, but I dunno, I would've preferred Warrior of Light considering his game was actually on NES while Cloud's will never leave Sony. Then again, that's just an opinion, and I'll admit I had to call my girlfriend when Cloud was announced because I needed to scream in sheer, absolute, unstoppable hype. Goddamn Mega Man and Cloud just were the best trailers.

Now seriously, Waddle Dee. He's even your child, Sakurai, why do you not add him?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Frankston posted:

I've never played a smash game before and I get irrationality angry at online games, should I get smash switch?

Do you like Nintendo? Do you like silly fighting games? If so, sure, go ahead. You don't need to play online to enjoy it, though it's still fully recommended that you have people to play with because this is ultimately a fighting game and we don't know how good single-player may be (Wii U had a particularly weak single-player mode, and that's the newest game before this one).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Bloop posted:

Smash is Couch Multiplayer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> other modes

so use that as your determining factor

I agree. There's nothing quite as fun as getting a bunch of friends together and settling things in Smash. Even friends who aren't into games normally or don't own Nintendo consoles join, it's super beginner friendly and greatly enjoyable.

Online is more irritating between lag and not having the fun of insulting someone to their face.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Anime, much like Super Smash Bros., is good.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'd rank it higher if it wasn't physically painful to play. That said, points for Sakurai for such a terrible control scheme that it causes body pain yet still making the game so fun people play it anyways.

I hope he gets to do an Uprising 2 once SSBU is out and he's farther from dying. The Switch may be the best place to make it both fun and harmless.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TheKingofSprings posted:

Joker without a gun just wouldn’t make much sense and there are only two Persona games on Nintendo consoles.

I agree, Joker's a bad choice. But a SMT rep woudn't be bad, it's even had a crossover with Sakurai's beloved Fire Emblem, and you people can't tell me you wouldn't want Jack Frost, hee-ho.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

sharrrk posted:

of the unconfirmed stages i think fountain, gamer, and brinstar depths are the only ones i'll miss if they aren't in

:yeah: Fountain of Dreams especially must return, it's my favourite Melee stage and I've dearly missed it all these years.

I'd add Dream Land 3DS to the list though. It's the only moving stage I can tolerate, because the idea of a stage happening inside a Game Boy is too pure to lose.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Bleck posted:

I almost kind of wish they didn't reveal new characters until the game was released - imagine the rush when you'd see that silhouette of Ridley or whoever when the "challenger approaching!" screen comes up.

We'd go months without nothing, people would get annoyed, and ultimately it'd bring more bad than good. Let's never do that.

Keep a character or two hidden but always show something, keeping that hype alive is important.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kurtofan posted:

You should start with only the base characters from the first game imo

Honestly, on the one hand it'll be fun to get everyone, but on the other I kiiind of wanted to get together with friends day one to play this and of my group, I'm the only one who mains a SSB64 character (Captain Falcon), my other friends main Ike, Lucario, Bowser and WFT. Of those, the Ike guy is by far the most problematic, the others can utilize other characters (Bowser guy likes Mario, Lucario guy will use anything that can spam projectiles because he's a little bitch, WFT guy loves playing random anyways), the Ike guy for some reason refuses to touch anything else if given the chance, despite playing Sonic before who is basically the exact opposite.

I hope having matches between friends quickly unlocks other characters, having everything unlock while I play would be a lot of fun, regardless of player-character compatibility problems.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Gaffle posted:

You'll start with the first 8 characters and unlock the others by playing as their friends. Play pikachu to get jigglypuff, play samus to get zero suit etc

But what about characters that don't have friends in the original 8? Hell, what about Wario, who has given up friendship in favour of advancing in a capitalist society where money is the only thing that matters and interpersonal relationships are only a means to that end?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zore posted:

He has the Triforce Slash. We already saw it

No, we didn't. We saw Toon Link's, not Young Link's.

Regardless it's probably Triforce Slash, since fellow Melee clones Dr. Mario and Pichu share the same Final Smashes as their originals and I doubt he'll get the new Light Arrow-ish move.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

RareAcumen posted:

Why do people like Fountain of Dreams? I only remember it being a Battlefield clone with a huge wall below the stage.

Graphically, it was by far the best stage in Melee. Gameplay-wise, it's nothing impressive, but that also makes it not terrible thus fun to play in, and the combination of both makes it a far better stage than several others, including stages that came back (Pac-Land, Mushroomy Kingdom...). It's genuinely confusing why this one didn't reappear, even moreso seeing how it's from the part of Kirby that Sakurai cares about.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rainuwastaken posted:

No more echo fighters

:yeah:

I don't get why people want clones all of a sudden. A neat name doesn't make them any less cloney.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Bloop posted:

Ken has always been a clone of ryu but over time has been diferentiated enough to be an echo fighter. Are we back to thinking he'd use up a "slot" or some poo poo?

It's pretty unlikely that they'd create the name echo fighter and an on screen symbol and anything and then literally make only one (Daisy) and carry one over (DPit)

I think there will be a few

If he's differentiated himself, he wouldn't be an echo fighter, he'd be his own thing. See how even previously clones Pichu and Dr. Mario are not Echo Fighters. Echoes are literally clones with a cooler name, there's no differences whatsoever between Pit and Dark Pit other than colour and numbers, for example.

Also, Lucina is yet another echo fighter, so we have three now. I'm guessing there may be more, and I don't mind their existence, I'm confused about people wanting more instead of wanting characters that are actually different.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The only characters I really want are Waddle Dee, Simon Belmont, and a new DK rep (Cranky, Funky, Dixie, all would be fine). I'll accept anyone, and I admit, I kind of want Jack Frost after the idea of a Persona character (or, more accurately here, a SMT character) came up, but I fully realize that's a long shot and most likely not happening, sad hee-ho.

Simon basically feels like he has to be in now, which is good because Castlevania deserves representation with how influential it's been and because it has some history with Nintendo. Waddle Dee is just a long-standing dream that refuses to die, but of which I have no real hopes will come true because Sakurai refuses to use any Kirby that isn't his own, and Bandanna is very much a modern Kirby guy, even if he's the best guy. I'd accept Marx too though, and that's a Super Star character!

But c'mon, no more DK characters is silly. THE Nintendo franchise is a spinoff of Donkey Kong! You'd think it'd get more love. There's so much to capitalize on there, yet it keeps getting ignored. It's sad.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, what would Bomberman do other than drop bombs? He's kind of a one-trick guy.

Captain Falcon did literally nothing other than driving a car in his own games. Sonic has the same "spin" move several times in slightly different forms. I feel putting some creativity into him would make Bomberman completely viable as a fully playable character, but well, it isn't the case, and an AT is better than nothing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mercury Crusader posted:

A Dragon Quest rep would be great, though having another sword user would be a shame.

Therefore, the Dragon Quest rep should be Slime.

I couldn't agree more. Dragon Quest is a giant series in Japan, has a lot of Nintendo games, and Slimes are adorable and fully deserve a place here. Hell, they definitely have more than enough to pick from moveset-wise with Rocket Slime and just the several types of Slimes in every game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kurtofan posted:

More DK characters needed.

Hard, yes. Add Dixie, Cranky, Funky, Lanky and Chunky, Sakurai.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I wouldn't be surprised if one event was a giant Ridley vs a mini Olimar just so the game would have the biggest vs the smallest, as close as they can get to their original sizes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Theta Zero posted:

Speaking of dumb character choices, since I did a bet last time I'll do it again.

For anybody listening, quote this post and give me exactly five characters you think will be announced (or playable) when Smash Ultimate is released along with your Steam account and I'll buy the person with the most correct answers a whopping $10 game on Steam. Ties will be split evenly.

I'll save it all on a notepad document and review it when the game is released and the full roster (at launch, not DLC) is revealed.

Simon Belmont, Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong, Shadow the Hedgehog, Mimikyu.

I'll be happy if I get even one of these right (except Shadow, that one's kind of filler).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Vandar posted:

His name is Erdrick!

Or Loto sometimes.

Uhh, sort of? I mean, every DQ hero is a different person, and the first two are descendants of Erdrick while the fourth and onwards have no real connection to him/her, so "yes" only if you're talking extremely specifically about the DQIII hero(ine).

If you need a single name to refer to a bunch of completely separate characters...Goku should do.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SeANMcBAY posted:

“So, I’d like to keep the controls as simple as possible. It’s of course not as casual as Mario Kart, but I want to keep it easy on the players’ hands!”

It’s nice that he’s thinking about all of our hands after Kid Icarus Uprising.:unsmith:

But seriously, easy controls are a great thing in a game like this, which is meant to be simple but with lots of depth. Sakurai still knows what he's doing, and he and his team keep improving even the little details, it's wonderful.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I'd be happy with no other initial newcomers if it meant Geno was going to be in the game.

We already got Ridley, stop asking Sakurai for memes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

We had already seen Alolan Raichu was a Poke Ball mon. Nothing new here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Over There posted:

Never bought an amiibo. Should I or will it make me broke brain?

Depends on your self-restraint, I guess. I only ever bought Captain Falcon and that was fine for me, where else would I get a Captain Falcon figure? My girlfriend got me Mega Man too, that was neat.

There's other people that obsess over the things though, so, how much do you trust yourself in the field of not buying a bunch of figures of doubtful quality?