Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Seriously speaking, I'm at a loss at who the new five could be. We've already got all the big reps for each Nintendo franchise Smash 4. I feel like we've ran out.

And each Smash game since Brawl has started by announcing their left-field third party character, so odds are Smash 5 will likewise have an insane third-party pick. But who will it because? Because we've already got the big names like Mega Man, Pac Man, Ryu... I can't think of any other huge third party characters they can add that'll be as huge and representative of gaming.

Other than, of course, Doom Guy. And since we've had both Doom on the SNES and on the Switch...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Countblanc posted:

Everyone stop posting until the announcement so I know when something happened
NO.

Just wait until this thread has 200 new posts instead of just 50. That's your sign something happened.

Aston posted:

It will be Banjo Kazooie. Topic locked.
Well, that reminds me. Crash Bandicoot is coming to the Switch. That's a possibility.

But, and this is a big but, although Rare is owned by Microsoft, the big head of Rare said he'd absolutely love having a Rare rep in Smash. So Banjo Kazooie is another big possibility.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I want to believe that it's a safe bet that the characters who were banished to the Mii Fighter Outfit realm in Smash 4 will be the newcomers are full-fledged characters. Lloyd, King K Rule, Geno, and the fan favorite

Platinum Games lead developer Hideki Kamiya.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Oh god, I'm going to throw up from joy.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Here's the winner's finals from the Smash Invitational, the two players are very prolific Smash 4 players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOrS4wb7YFw&t=15s

The game overall is much faster paced, sort of the middle ground between Smash 4's fluidity and Melee's swiftness.

Also they changed the KO sparks so that the game slows down and zooms in on an assured KO, as shown in this video.

Other things to note:

Shields break super fast, holy moly

Blast zones are either larger or the camera doesn't zoom out as much

A new HUD element displays where a character is when they're offscreen via a minimap

Both of the above combine to make the game even more butt-clenchingly tense

1v1 gets new HUD elements unique from FFA

Snake has a new down smash

The hit sounds rival Smash 64 for sheer level of satisfying crunchiness

The Smash Ball's physics change maybe depending on the mode? In FFA it floats around but in 1v1 it falls to the ground like a physics object.

The game as a whole looks phenomenal as a spectator game, and in terms of playing it, it rewards extremely aggressive play over defensive play like Smash 4.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 13, 2018

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Your Computer posted:

it's the most tumblr thing ever (and I don't know why there's a star wars there) but I think mute Samus raised by birbs is a very sweet headcanon :unsmith:

don't have any ridley fanart sorry

Samus never talks because last time she did we got Other M.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
So there's an option to turn off hazards for each stage. On Lylat Cruise, it turns off the stage tilting, so the fact that a stage moves is considered a hazard.

My question is if Poke Floats gets back in, what will the hazardless version be like?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvpACopZDIo

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Corneria and Sector Z are exactly the same. Except Corneria is better.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Your Computer posted:

Mr. Game & Watch freaks me out

where's your third dimension? where is it???

Your third dimension is tied to your soul so you become 2D when you sell it to Satan.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Macaluso posted:

DOES Doomguy have an actual name

No but he has a pet bunny. The bunny has a name.

It's literally his character motivation.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 16, 2018

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Wasn’t there a book or something that explained how the giant demon boss from the first Wolfenstien game put a curse on BJs family that it would come back and wipe out his blood line, and it turns out that demon is actually the Cyberdemon which makes Doomguy BJs great great great grandson or some poo poo.

Yeah, something like that. I don't know if that's still true with the new Wolfenstein or Doom games, though. But supposedly the new Doomguy is the same exact one from Doom 1 and 2.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
One thing I wonder: will they do DLC packs of nothing but new cosmetic skins for characters, will people actually buy them, and will I be one of them?

The answer, of course, is perhaps, maybe, and yes because I am a consumerist lemming.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Turtlicious posted:

no i actually want conker and his smash is hitting people with a swear word bubble.

MariusLecter posted:

Or...

e;
Conker vs Doom Slayer will be interesting.

Your Computer posted:

you know if they're adding Banjo and Kazooie we're not getting the Banjo and Kazooie we love, right

they're adding this

Well, keep in mind that Rare is owned by Microsoft. But on the other hand, one of the head developers at Rare has stated he would be interested in letting one of their characters into Smash. It's difficult to say if Rare or Nintendo will go out of their way to do this, though.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

There's a ton of reddit threads and videos on youtube showing proof of old stages that are returning so imagine my surprise when I found one that no one seems to have mentioned.

Super Mario Bros 2 stage is back! (Reddit seems to think the Super Mario World stage is Mushroom Kingdom II for some reason)

This stage was in Melee and nothing else. This really makes me think the game will have every single stage from every previous Smash Bros stage. I really hope that's the case. Imagine they go completely balls-to-the-wall and include obscure stages like Metal Mario 64's stage??

Also they are completely redrawing the stages; here is the difference between the Wii U and Switch stage for the Zelda lake stage:

:eyepop:
A bit late, but here's a list of all confirmed stages from the trailers and demo:

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

El Burbo posted:

There won't be a next smash game

That's why this one is called Ultimate

As long as there is money to take, there are Smashes to make.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Kelp Plankton posted:

i mean, sheik doesn't have it anymore, so someone should have it

Honestly, I was amazed how a move could be both useless and utterly overpowered at the same time.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Kaubocks posted:

if they added smash 64 with online functionality to the switch i'd probably never need another smash again lol

theres something so wonderfully broken about that game...................
Touch of death combos never get old. Smash 64 is cursed with wonderfully long hitstun that you can combo about any move into each other. It's so dumb and awful that it's fun.

The Bloop posted:

Absolutely. The only time I've ever gone backwards was for some 64 action just to lol

4 will never be lol-worthy

4 to Ultimate is like Terminator to Terminator 2. The one after is infinitely better, but it was still an important step in the series.

Brawl is this:

A joke you occasional come back to in order to laugh at how awful it is.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I like Melee but I really wish we could pull the plug on its life support. There's only so many decades I can see the same five characters and five stages make the same noises and play the same music before it gets grating. At this point I only tune in for Melee doubles because at least something different can happen in those.

That was also why I tuned out of Smash 4 streams pretty early, though. The character selection was less narrow, even though you frequently only say Bayonetta, Cloud, Mario, and Shiek usually, but god help me Town and City was the worst. It's so aesthetically bland and the music choice is just awful. K.K. Rider and The Roost are fine songs, but they're horribly unfitting and especially bad when literally every single game is just Town and City over and over. Not even doubles can save my interest being fizzled out by hearing K.K. Bubblegum for the umpteenth time.

Thank God Smash Ultimate turns off stage hazards and has a mindblowing amount of stages which could be potentially legal. Ultimate is looking more and more like a phenomenal game to stream just because of the amount of effort which went into presentation and the wider variety of things which can be present in a match such as music choice, character and stage variety, character skins, and strategies.

IronicDongz posted:

Smash 64 still has the best sfx

SeANMcBAY posted:

This new game is coming close. The sound effects sound much better.

Reiley posted:

The new sfx are giving them a run for their money.

Yes and no...

"Yes," the new sound effects are better than the N64 sound effects. They're so meaty and sound like bones crunching with every hit.

"No," nothing will ever top the Japanese N64 hit sounds, which were literally stock kung-fu hit noises. Even I have these in my audio folder, and they're hilarious to hear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA9hpdZneYU&t=63s

Also speaking of stage hazards earlier, Reiley, Lylat Cruise hazardless turns off stage tilting. This is still one of my favorite videos starring you, and I'm a little saddened to know it probably won't ever happen to anybody again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huZaRJkwtNw

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 19, 2018

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Subspace Emissary was okay, just tedious. The idea of boss fights and trash enemies was neat, just executed poorly. It's fun in co-op but a drag solo. The most redeeming quality was that the cutscenes were pretty boss.

I'd be okay with a fleshed out storymode, but likewise I'd also be fine with it being absent altogether. I'd genuinely would be excited for a story/adventure mode with online co-op, though. If they did that, then I'd probably get each and every character trophy immediately before I ever touch the other modes.

Kurtofan posted:

And sonic shows up at the end :geno:

Sonic was added super late to Brawl's development, and it shows especially in SSE where he's just...there. And he destroys the final boss's instagib butterfly wings...because of reasons?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

King of Solomon posted:

You mean Smashville, right? Town and City comes up a fair amount, but Smashville is the go-to stage in Smash 4.

Either or, they're virtually identical, besides Town and City having a platform which slides offscreen or something. They both have the same probably of being visually bland and having dull music.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Calaveron posted:

Pikachu Fox and Kirby were the only guys worth a gently caress in og right

Top three are something like Pikachu, Kirby, then Fox. Worst character is Donkey Kong.

But every character has a touch of death combo, with Samus being the more difficult of the bunch to pull of since she's a bit sluggish. Donkey Kong is considered the worst solely because he's so big that it's hard to avoid getting hit. Otherwise the moment you hit somebody with so much as a tilt, you can assure they're as good as dead, so there's no "guaranteed" matchups.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
People are saying that's justification that this is a port. Except, you know, games that build off of previous incarnations aren't ports. Like Saint's Row 4. Or Super Mario Galaxy 2. Or Battlefield 4.

It's almost like that's how sequels work.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Kaubocks posted:

ive literally never seen anyone since the game cam eout call it a port yet i’ve read five thousand posts about people complaining about port people

that said i would personally liken this smash 4 but more

not necessarily a port but like... street fighter 4 arcade edition. the same, but more stuff and bigger balance tweaks

i’ve never played sf4 don’t @ me
It's mostly a claim from people trying to validate Melee being the superior game despite Smash Ultimate not even being released yet, or stupid people. Just from that tweet alone:

Also
"No." <---- SUPER SALTY

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Mr. Resetti better be back.:argh:

Never forgetti Mr. Resetti.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Pops Mgee posted:

Melee announcer is also very good.

Melee announcer is okay. He's sort of like 64's announcer, but a bit flatter in terms of energy. Both are sort of like a wrestling announcer whereas Brawl, 4, and now Ultimate's announcers are all have the same energy as 64's but sound more like an event announcer. Melee' announcer is good but I personally prefer the style they've been going for since Brawl.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1009842596120690688

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1009846753116295168

Nintendo and Microsoft are friends. Master Chief and all Rare properties now confirmed for Smash Ultimate.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I would like a second metal gear stage. The top of the arsenal gear as it goes through New York, mother base or the graveyard from the end of mgs4. There won't be any hazards in that stage, instead it will have big boss and old snake having that 2 hour long conversation verbatim in the background (maybe even foreground?) of the stage.

A MGSV stage on Mother Base where the matches always end early before a satisfying conclusion is reached.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
The latest blog post is some images of Bomberman as an assist trophy.

I forget who owns Bomberman now that Hudson has gone under. I think he's a Konami property, now?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Zuzie posted:

I've seen a few people throw the idea of Octolings as an echo fighter for Inklings but my main issue with this is that Inklings are a brand new character and introducing a moveset clone of them now would only make the Inklings and Octolings less distinct. With the echo fighters and other semi-clone characters, they're based on ones that were established in previous games.

Roy was a clone of Marth and he was introduced in the same game Marth was. It wouldn't be the first time they've done it.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Dizz posted:

Is it hard to copy + paste?

It's not that easy if you swap engines, and it's especially difficult to properly balance 60+ characters. You may also need to completely redo the animations and models if you swap graphical engines as well, because sometimes models freak out in terms of both rigging and lighting if they don't like the engine. If I were to chose between new and balanced game mechanics versus new characters, I would pick the former. It's a hard truth, but a truth nonetheless.

Also new blog post. It's this weird thing again.

quote:

Today's Item
Assist Trophy: Sukapon
Attacking with his detached fists and feet, Sukapon can even pick up opponents and throw them.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Over There posted:

Also is it weird that I think that they should have kept this samus:

instead of this?

Although I don't know how the first one would have worked for smash.

e: she actually doesn't look that bad in SSBU

I like the vaguely American/European-ish looking Samus from MP1, but they've never really been consistent with Samus's face from each game. But they've seen to stick with Samus from Other M, who appears to have a more ambigiuous ethnicity.

Samus's face has always looked good no matter what rendition, though. Well, except this one:

Speak of old Metroid stuff, now that Ridley's in the game proper, I hope there's some more Metroid Prime 3 stuff since Smash has been ignoring the existence of the Prime series save for 1. This in particular I've always thought was the best Ridley theme rendition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsh7e1XZdGk

Also this week's blog hasn't had much except character trailers. But here's some Pokemon, which is neat.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

b_d posted:

this is good actually .

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Honestly the only time I remember Playstation Allstars is when people bring up how awful it is.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Countblanc posted:

it was fine

It was incredibly, mind-numbing mediocre.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

sharrrk posted:

theres no reason to think you can't just pick a random battlefield the same way you can already do random omega in 4, assuming they really are all the exact same layout and blastzones that will get used for sure

You can't just pick a random Omega stage in 4, because they're not all the same. For instance, Onett has walls that characters can walljump off of whereas Final Destination does not. Tournaments ban Omega stages because some variants give an unfair advantage to certain characters.

However, from what I've seen, it looks like in Ultimate they're making all the Omega and Alpha stages the same structure so that you won't have some stages inexplicably give a character an advantage that the normal Final Destination or Battlefield wouldn't otherwise.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

The Bloop posted:

As though Final Destination doesn't

Hey, I don't make the incredibly specific and seemingly self-contradictory rules. I just know 'em.